IGNORED

RETRO - The Collector's Series

Hitcher

After agreeing that it's a rip-off back on page 1, I went and bought it :lol:

It's best to concentrate on the negative, so I will:

All the typos from the originals seem to still be there. I noticed them so it shouldn't have been difficult for those who are paid to do so.

Certain parts could have done with being updated - such as claiming Metal Slug 3 is shortly being ported to PS2.

It seems rude not to include the likes of the Spectrum, 3DO, Master System, hell, even the Atari Jaguar. And the N64 and Dreamcast, too, s'pose.

However, it's almost certainly bound to be a highly enjoyable read for those who haven't already read it in Edge. It kinda makes me wish I was one of them.

Have they added anything to it like, I dunno, recommendations of games based on their entertainment value rather than their rarity or some decent research (which doesn't include copying the entire contents of a Sega Saturn fansite)?

NIce cover Gunstar. Not much new material by the look of things. Is the famicom stuff new as well as the Amiga section? If they'd added a Spectrum section as well I'd be perfectly happy, as it is I feel that I'm an Edge fanboy being used as a cash cow. Still, its a nice thing to have.

Read it this morning.

The 2 new articles are NES and Amiga.

PLUS you know those empty sticker spaces? People pondering why EDGE even did that? Sure its in a sticker book design, and now all the sticker spaces are full! So thats like...a full sticker album ( har har ).

The price guide at the back is new. Er...and the inside outside cover if your being picky. Useful to have, but pricey at £5

( NEG )

Guest Penguin_Lad

It looked lightweight to me. I was especially put off with:

"Prices now updated for 2004"

Wow. Is that mainstream ;)

*edit* Oh and I'm sick of the Edge trick of filling 2/3 of a page with pictures. Are they trying to make kiddies books?

"LOOK AT THE PICTURES MUMMY!" ;)

Have they added anything to it like, I dunno, recommendations of games based on their entertainment value rather than their rarity or some decent research (which doesn't include copying the entire contents of a Sega Saturn fansite)?

The NES article has a page with "Ten important titles" which is based on the games themselves rather than their "collectibility". I think each section should have that, for those more interested in quality games than £££.

No Spectrum section? That's very odd! Edge cannot be considered in any way serious about retrogaming if it ignores a machine which was even more popular - in this country at least - than the mighty C64.

I'm baffled by this, and only hope that they put things right in future.

It seems rude not to include the likes of the Spectrum, 3DO, Master System, hell, even the Atari Jaguar. And the N64 and Dreamcast, too, s'pose.

So they can release part 2 next Christmas. :unsure:

After covering those machines over the next year in Edge issues ;)

What next? They have reprinted reviews, the making of, collectors series. Will next years Retro will be all the Redeye columns reprinted?

Great idea about redeye. It can be 4 special issues. But the 4th would be biffo, that japan ff11 freak, and the person before that.

Yes...very nice idea indeed.

( NEG )

Bit of a rip off, especially at £5. If you've been buying Edge for a while you're basically paying a fiver for two articles. (sidenote - the amiga article where it mentions the Amiga 500 in the boxout - My Amiga 500 came with Workbench 1.2 not 1.3, which appeared later)

Anyway.

There's a revised price list at the back and erm...that's about it. They could have at least stuck in a Spectrum article. I'd have felt better paying £5 for that addition.

• 2 weeks later...

This mag did indeed sneak out, as I only noticed it was out because the usual ebayers are asking £20 for it on 'buy it now' - my usually reliable and well-stocked newsagent didn't have it, nor did WHSmiths. Finally found lots on sale at Borders.

The mag has a lovely cover and the never-seen-before (2) articles are pretty good. And the only other extra thing, as has been mentioned, is the GamesTM-style hardware price guide. It's not ad-free, but substantially less adverts than the normal Edge.

As an Edge fan I bought it, but I have to say it's a bit pricey at a fiver.

Bit of a rip off, especially at £5. If you've been buying Edge for a while you're basically paying a fiver for two articles. (sidenote - the amiga article where it mentions the Amiga 500 in the boxout - My Amiga 500 came with Workbench 1.2 not 1.3, which appeared later)

Anyway.

There's a revised price list at the back and erm...that's about it. They could have at least stuck in a Spectrum article. I'd have felt better paying £5 for that addition.

early 500s had a carved C= commodore logo, later ones just had a sticker IIRC

Guest Penguin_Lad
More importantly whats the cover look like cuz I drew it  :wub:

It's shit.

Who are you?

Thanks for that.

Can anybody who actually has the mag tell me how my art looks on the cover.

Ooooooh!

handbag.jpg

Chill out, bub :wub:

I dunno Seany, you seem to be getting a bit pissy lately...wheres ur xmas spirit.

I dunno Seany, you seem to be getting a bit pissy lately...wheres ur xmas spirit.

It's not that. It's just personally, I'd wait for someone else to mention the cover before making an admission as to it's origin.

Like that way just seems a little more... courteous, or something :wub:

It's not that. It's just personally, I'd wait for someone else to mention the cover before making an admission as to it's origin.

Like that way just seems a little more... courteous, or something :rolleyes:

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking how the cover looks if you did and you haven't seen it yet. Reasonable question, if you ask me.

Like that way just seems a little more... courteous, or something :D

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking how the cover looks if you did and you haven't seen it yet. Reasonable question, if you ask me.

Heh heh...

I tried "being nice" about it but

More importantly whats the cover look like cuz I drew it 

smacks of egotism.

There, I said it

Do you see my point? :rolleyes:

Sure, there is bound to be a bit of egotism, as I suppose there should be, but if you were to use Melon_Bread's other posts as a guideline, then you would know that it isn't really the case. So, he's proud that he done the cover and hasn't seen it in print yet, so he asks and then gets abused (by a mod, of all people, but we won't get into that).

Actually, if melon_bread came over egotistical, you came over much worse with your replies.

Do you see my point? :rolleyes:

He seems proud to have drawn it? Is that your point?

Mmm, pride.

Tis a sin ;) But you could be onto something there. :D

However, it's not more important than the contents which was the point of the thread.