IGNORED

Shock! Someone who dislikes Viewtiful Joe

NEG

www.gamefaqs.com seems the place where EVERY game has at least 1 bad review and low score it seems. Not that the reviewer is any good of course, you can tell he hardly got into it much, anyhow on with it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review by wolfy42

I've read most of the other reviews for this game and must say I'm shocked by how popular it seems to be. Luckily I rented this game (I rent all gamecube games before buying them now) and didn't lose out on to much money.

On to my review.

Graphics: (5)

It's cell shaded 2d game....altho you do move in 3d directions sometimes in a kloona sort of way. The graphics were fine for me really as I don't care to much about graphics but concentrate more on gameplay. I will only give graphics a 5 because I didn't really see any amazing bosses or stunning effects. I enjoyed Dark Cloud II quite alot and it was cell shaded...and even Zelda came out ok. The cell shaded graphics in this game seemed to be wasted since one of the nicest effects of cell shading is you can go straight from movies to gameplay and make it seem seamless. I didn't really appreciate that effect in this game and think cell shading was wasted on this game.

Sound: (5) Once again....not something I bother with that much in a game...I like good special effects when I'm fighting tho..and hopefully an upbeat musical theme to get me in the mood to kill things. I wasn't inspired by the music in this game...and the sound effects weren't anything special either.

Gameplay: (2) The meat and potatoes of any game. This game had nothing for me at all. It seemed like a redone version of double dragon for the new millenium or something. With your basic kick and punch....and just slow,zoom/speed thrown in for a bit of variety. If your going to make a 2d game I would at least expect there to be some attacks you could improve as you play or choices on what you use...I don't know anything. Instead I found the game extremly repetative and dull....without much to look forward to other then just finishing another stage. I enjoyed many games on the old nintendo system more....If I remember right river city ransom was on the original nintendo and as far as i'm concerned it blows this game away. There wasn't even that many spots where you had to be precise in your jumps etc....or any puzzels/mazes...like I said it seems to me to be a remake of a very simple double dragon game (the first ones...not the later ones where you can upgrade attacks buy special moves). I personally like 2d games when they are done right and would love for a few good 2d platform games to come out (hopefully with rpg aspects as well). This game may have slightly better graphics then a simular game back in the nes or snes days but other then that there is nothing to make it stand out from games that are many generations obsolete.

Replayability: (1) For me at least it was hard enough finishing it the first time. Yes you could play it again..and if you actually bought this game you probably would. But without a 2 player mode...and no special abilities that open up when you finish it etc I don't see a major reason to play this over.

Overall: (2) I rate gameplay far above graphics and sound...so this only gets a 2 from me...I would give it a 1...but I reserve that for games that are totally unplayable or are just incredibly dull (the tick for the ps1 comes to mind). I realize this isn't everyones opinion of this game by the other reviews but I figured that I should at least voice my opinion since it seems to differ so much from the majority here.

I would highly suggest renting this game before buying it (altho at this point I would suggest that for all gamecube games actually). If you like it your out 5$...if not you just saved yourself a wasted game and can spend the money on something better (jak II is out next week).

Reviewer's Score: 2 / 10, Originally Posted on 10/13/2003

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CoughPS2FANBOYcough.

( NEG )

I would highly suggest renting this game before buying it (altho at this point I would suggest that for all gamecube games actually).

What a complete idiot.

It's alright, be safe in the knowledge that we're a million times better than him.

Well, they have no taste at all, and deserve to stew in their gaming hell that they have made for themselves. And so as they have no taste in games, they have no taste in general and so probably can't dress themselves properly and have no proper job or partners.

So don't bother turning this into a 5 page epic disagreeing and being all flusterd.

Review by wolfy42

If your going to make a 2d game I would at least expect there to be some attacks you could improve as you play or choices on what you use...I don't know anything.

Review condensed for clarity

Well, they have no taste at all, and deserve to stew in their gaming hell that they have made for themselves. And so as they have no taste in games, they have no taste in general and so probably can't dress themselves properly and have no proper job or partners.

So don't bother turning this into a 5 page epic disagreeing and being all flusterd.

I'm shocked. Someone who shares my sentiments exactly.

I'll pm you to write all my replys from now on.

Duly copied to a handy location ready to be pasted at will, I love that ;)

You see, If you write an intelligent review, outlining your honest opnion, with genuine, well constructed comments as to why the game didn't excel in your mind - with a REASONABLE score, then there wouldn't be a problem.

However, It's obvious from his review that his opnions and stupendous comments do nothing but degrade a game that is clearly a work of love and passion - and with all doubts aside - a bloody fabulous videogame.

Viewtiful Joe is a landmark in gaming. It sets aside uber realism and money-fed licenses and puts back in place what games should be about.

Good fun.

I'm...confused, I think is the right word, about Viewtiful Joe.

It's obviously a brilliant game, and my initial few hours with it had me grinning from ear to ear, but for some reason I put it down about a week ago, and haven't felt the urge to go back to it. I think I left it at the Shark boss.

Still, it's a great game, I probably just need an extensive session with it to rekindle the flame.

I'm...confused, I think is the right word, about Viewtiful Joe.

It's obviously a brilliant game, and my initial few hours with it had me grinning from ear to ear, but for some reason I put it down about a week ago, and haven't felt the urge to go back to it. I think I left it at the Shark boss.

Still, it's a great game, I probably just need an extensive session with it to rekindle the flame.

I have had it since JPN launch, and I still havent gone back to it.

I stopped on the final (at least I think it is) boss on kids mode though.

I think it's funny how he says graphics and sound isn't something to judge a game on, but throws a few paragraphs in anyway.

To be fair to the idiot in the guidelines to writing a review for the site it does tell you to include those sections.

:D

I'm shocked that someone can out-right LIE about something so much. He should work for Edge! :(

It's cell shaded 2d game....

No, it's a cel shaded 3D game. By definition you cannot have 'cel shaded 2D' graphics.

I will only give graphics a 5 because I didn't really see any amazing bosses or stunning effects.

Did he have his eyes closed during the amazing bosses and stunning effects then?

alot

;)

I didn't really appreciate that effect in this game and think cell shading was wasted on this game.

Wasted on a game that is supposed to look like a comic book?!

It seemed like a redone version of double dragon for the new millenium or something.

Firstly, it isn't.

Secondly, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I would at least expect there to be some attacks you could improve as you play or choices on what you use...

How about the, erm.... attacks that you can improve and the erm... choices on what you can use? Will they do?

I don't know anything.

He got one thing right.

This game may have slightly better graphics then a simular game back in the nes or snes days

Firstly, what does "simular" mean?

Secondly, assuming he meant "similar", there is nothing similar about it to anything, ever!

Thirdly, 'slighty'? Oh yeah, the SNES's cel-shading ability was only 12% worse that the Gamecube's.

but other then that there is nothing to make it stand out from games that are many generations obsolete.

Except for... oh, I dunno... EVERYTHING?!

For me at least it was hard enough finishing it the first time. Yes you could play it again..

You could even play it on the higher difficulty mode that he seems to have ignored.

But without a 2 player mode...

Do you tink he even noticed there was bullet-time in the game?

I would highly suggest renting this game before buying it (altho at this point I would suggest that for all gamecube games actually).

Yes, because Nintendo's quality control is so lacking these days. You wanna play Bloodrayne, you do.

For that guy's review: 0/10

(Because it's already been discovered that everyone loves Viewtiful Joe, even those that don't.)

;)

I'm shocked that someone can out-right LIE about something so much. He should work for Edge! :(

Yes, because Nintendo's quality control is so lacking these days. You wanna play Bloodrayne, you do.

For that guy's review: 0/10

(Because it's already been discovered that everyone loves Viewtiful Joe, even those that don't.)

I totally agree with you except please read my post at the top of this topic about being flustered, and lay off Bloodrayne please :D

... By definition you cannot have 'cel shaded 2D' graphics....

So does this mean that anime has been drawn in three dimensions from the very beginning?... Not even an emoticon can portray how shocked I am about this astounding discovery.

... By definition you cannot have 'cel shaded 2D' graphics....

So does this mean that anime has been drawn in three dimensions from the very beginning?... Not even an emoticon can portray how shocked I am about this astounding discovery.

In videogames.

A la Jet Set Radio/Future, XIII etc.

By very definition, you knew what he meant.

No, it means anime isn't cel-shaded.

I disagree; it's true that not all anime titles are done in the cel-shaded style, but a lot of them are --it seems to me that The Wind Waker has taken a lot of visual elements from anime works drawn in such a fashion.

In videogames.

A la Jet Set Radio/Future, XIII etc.

By very definition, you knew what he meant.

Wait a minute --so are you saying that the characters in, say, Advance Wars are not drawn in the cel-shading method?

Guest shinythings

Cel shading is a purely 3D concept. It was invented to describe rendering in 3D so that it looks like 2D animation/illustration, wasn't it? Thus there is no point in describing 2D illustration as being cel shaded, because that's where the term came from in the first place.

It's already on page 2.. they're not going to listen to you, Jules ;)

He's saying that they are drawn in a cel-shaded style. They are not actually cel-shaded though.

Apologies --I feel I must give up and confess my ignorance at this point, because I can't tell what the difference is between something being cel-shaded and something drawn in the cel-shaded style.

Cel shading is a purely 3D concept. It was invented to describe rendering in 3D so that it looks like 2D animation/illustration, wasn't it? Thus there is no point in describing 2D illustration as being cel shaded, because that's where the term came from in the first place.

... But isn't this the same thing that happens when artists draw in the real world?... I'm getting confused now.

Guest shinythings

So you haven't figured out how this place works yet then?

... But isn't this the same thing that happens when artists draw in the real world?

No, artists draw on flat surfaces. The result is a two-dimensional image that has no substance.

Cel-shading is three-dimensional, formed with polygons and wireframes in full 3-D, however it is rendered in such a way as to make it appear to be 2-D.