IGNORED

Shock! Someone who dislikes Viewtiful Joe

NEG

No, artists draw on flat surfaces. The result is a two-dimensional image that has no substance.

Well, not technically; but I'll leave this for now. ;)

Cel-shading is three-dimensional, formed with polygons and wireframes in full 3-D, however it is rendered in such a way as to make it appear to be 2-D.

.. I think I understand now, but wouldn't it be possible for someone to use a different method to develop this method in two dimensions?

2D based gameplay, 3D implementation, cell shaded 3D graphics is actually the proper definition..

and anyway, not all 2D games have what would be the 2D version of 'cell shaded' graphics, only the ones that look cartoony/comic book style.

'therearerules', you have the right idea, but the way that even you describe it makes what you are saying sound confused and ripe for another argumentative reply saying you are wrong.

He's right though, the game is 2D, and it is cel-shaded. I don't see how you can deny these things, without losing the concept of what a 2D game is.

Technically, it could be argued that, although the game plays in two dimensions, the graphics are drawn in three dimensions, a la Super Smash Bros....

Edit: Whoops. Danryu got there before me --and with a better answer, to boot.

2D based gameplay, 3D implementation, cell shaded 3D graphics is actually the proper definition..

and anyway, not all 2D games have what would be the 2D version of 'cell shaded' graphics, only the ones that look cartoony/comic book style.

'therearerules', you have the right idea, but the way that even you describe it makes what you are saying sound confused and ripe for another argumentative reply saying you are wrong.

Righto, you probably just said what I said but better. The dimensions of the graphics do not dictate the dimensions of the game.

You're absolutely right - my bad!

The game is 2D, built with 3D graphics made to look 2D.

Kind of like Ikaruga but without the third bit.

Unfourtunatly im not a huge fan of this game. Id give it a 5/10 at the moment.

I'm always surprised to some extent, because - even you absolutely hated it and thought it was a vile piece of monotonous shite - you still have to at least accept that it is a fresh idea, which would (at the very least) give it some sort of initial appeal.

I mean, anyone who doesn't get even a tiny thrill from the first time they perform a slow motion backflip kick in mid-air and knock a robot ninja's head off is DEAD INSIDE!!! :D

;)

I'm always surprised to some extent, because - even you absolutely hated it and thought it was a vile piece of monotonous shite - you still have to at least accept that it is a fresh idea, which would (at the very least) give it some sort of initial appeal.

I mean, anyone who doesn't get even a tiny thrill from the first time they perform a slow motion backflip kick in mid-air and knock a robot ninja's head off is DEAD INSIDE!!! :D

;)

Dont get me wrong, i really enjoyed it until i learnt all the moves. Then it was like..very samely. Seemed kind of like a impressive technical demo.

My main problems with it are : its too hard and also, once you die you have to redo the whole level again. I just cant be bothered with that.

Im sure ill try it out again, but i have other games screaming at me to play them.

I mean, anyone who doesn't get even a tiny thrill from the first time they perform a slow motion backflip kick in mid-air and knock a robot ninja's head off is DEAD INSIDE!!! :(

;)

Dont get me wrong, i really enjoyed it until i learnt all the moves. Then it was like..very samely. Seemed kind of like a impressive technical demo.

My main problems with it are : its too hard and also, once you die you have to redo the whole level again. I just cant be bothered with that.

Im sure ill try it out again, but i have other games screaming at me to play them.

Ah see, yes, that makes perfect sense to me. Well done! :D

Its the "oh it was boring and crap" comments that I can never 'get'. Like the above 'review' - though it suggests he actually didn't play it (or didn't discover the L-trigger did anything!)

Hm...so..

VJ was made in 3D, but twisted to LOOK 2D.

That explains it, right?

Hm..in that case, games have been doing this since the start of the saturn era...or even...hm...swear there was a few on the snes/mega drive.

But to name this method "cel-shading" is wrong. I dunno....its like saying you cannot have a realistic backgrounded 2D game without being cel-shaded?

Confused...

( NEG )

Hm...so..

VJ was made in 3D, but twisted to LOOK 2D.

That explains it, right?

Hm..in that case, games have been doing this since the start of the saturn era...or even...hm...swear there was a few on the snes/mega drive.

There were no 3D games on the SNES/MD that looked 2D as far as I'm aware.

But to name this method "cel-shading" is wrong. I dunno....its like saying you cannot have a realistic backgrounded 2D game without being cel-shaded?

Eh?

Generally speaking if it is realistic-looking it isn't cel-shaded, as it would look 3D.