The Official RLLMUK Awards 2010 - Vote thread

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption - Choosen just for that great sense of freedom you can get strolling through the wilderness!
  2. Mass Effect 2 - Completely absorbed me for the 40 or so hours.
  3. Super Street Fighter IV - This game really is no.1, just felt unfair. It'll prob be no.1 next year too!
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Unbeatable in terms of Ideas/second.
  5. Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Just goes to show how a focus on team-based gameplay and atmosphere can be more important than precision of controls!

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Last Guardian
  2. Journey
  3. Dust
  4. Zelda - Skyward sword.
  5. Mass Effect 3

Best Online Experience

1. SSFIV - Community > everything
  2. Battlefield bad company 2 - Can't beat the feeling of great teamwork!
  3. Monster Hunter Tri - Just add skype!
  4. Blaz Blue - It's magic! Train while you wait? Yes please!
  5. COD Blops - Forgive me for enjoying it.

Best Use of Waggle

1. SMG2

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon quest IX
  2. Professor Layton - the lost future
  3. Pokemon SS/HG

Best PC Game

1. Star craft 2 - I really wish I had the time to throw at this game, watching the pros go at it will have to do for now. It's such a fantastically deep and exciting game to watch.
  2. VVVVVV - A simple unique idea made into a fantastic little game.

Best PS3 Game

1. RDR
  2. SSFIV
  3. Demon Souls
  4. BFBC2

Best PSP Game

1. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - Massive game, loads of addictive little hand-held additions.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. RDR
  2. ME2
  3. SSFIV
  4. BFBC2
  5. Limbo - A game about a constant battle between your instincts and cold logical problem solving ability. If you let either side win, the game loses it's meaning. /pretentious

Best Wii Game

1. SMG2
  2. Monster Hunter Tri
  3. Cave story

Best Download-only Game

1. VVVVVV
  2. Limbo
  3. Super Meat Boy - Satisfaction comes at price, maybe a bit of your sanity.
  4. Battlefield Vietnam
  5. Cave story

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Heavy Rain
  4. No More Heroes 2
  5. Assassins Creed Brotherhood

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Uncharted 3
  4. Dragon Age 2
  5. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Hall of Shame

1. EA Sports fucking up Fifa 11 spectacularly
  2. LAAAANGGDEELLLL
  3. Gamespy Debriefings podcast (well, Scott Bromley)
  4. Activision

Best Technical Achievement

Best Online Experience

1. Blur

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

1. Professor Layton and the Lost Future

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

1. Heavy Rain

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Halo Reach

Best Wii Game

1. No More Heroes 2
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Comic Jumper
  2. Hydro Thunder
  3. Pac-Man CE DX

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  4. Bayonetta
  5. Demons' Souls

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Uncharted 3
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. X-Com
  4. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  5. The Last Guardian

Hall of Shame

1. Heavy Rain Just awful - a terrible script and acting aren't unusual in gaming, but when the game is so keen to be compared to films it's embarrassing
  2. Mass Effect 2's mining mini 'game' The worst element of one of the most overrated games of all time
  3. Kinect and Move for having nothing new to offer in terms of games
  4. Fallout New Vegas Unfinished, buggy games on consoles has been one of the most depressing developments of this gen - and this might be the worst offender

Best PS3 Game

1. Demons' Souls

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo

Game of the Year

1. God Of War 3
    The formulae remains, but the epic just got a lot more epic. With set piece battles which dwarf it's closest rival, God Of War 3 was an experience like no other. There may well have been better games released last year, but none have remained so fresh in my mind. Be it the simply breathtaking opening level, or the brutal fight with Hercules, God Of War 3 never does anything small and is all the better for it.
  2. Vanquish
    Just as every developer had finally found the right way to do peek and shoot style play, along came Vanquish and rocket slid away with the rule book. Vanquish starts the pace at breakneck, and only goes up from there.
  3. Heavy Rain
    With Fahrenheit's strong beginning quickly sliding into a vat of bat shit mentalness, and early previews drawing unfavourable comparisons to Dragon's Lair, Heavy Rain had it's work cut out for it. Thankfully, what emerged was a landmark game which was compelling to play, and rarely sacrificed the story it wanted to tell for the needs of an interactive medium.
    It's not without fault by any means, but the story and characters within it remained convincing, and the decisions you were faced with felt like an integral part of the play experience, not simply a "what's behind door number two" style diversion.
  4. Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow
    A wonderfully sprawling adventure game. It may wear it's influences on it's sleeve, but the rich mix of brutal combat, intuitive platforming and devious puzzles combined to make Castelvania: Lords Of Shadow one of the strongest and most well rounded adventure games to emerge in many a year.
  5. Darksiders
    A Zelda inspired trek through an apocalyptic setting, made Darksiders an interesting proposition from the get go. It starts off as a simple GoW combat centric affair, but soon picks up as the dungeons are introduced. As with Zelda, the game is based around a mix of puzzling and combat, with a varied selection of boss fights to break things up. Only a tiresome back peddling mission towards the end of the game threatens to spoil the day, but that aside, this was one of the most enjoyable action adventure games of the year.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Killzone 3
    With Guerilla Games ensuring that variety and set pieces are the big attraction this time out, Killzone 3 should be able to build it's top shelf combat around a wider range of play styles and events. An updated game engine allowing for bigger play areas should also lead to more interesting environments and level design. Brutal close combat has also been shown, and with the inclusion of 3D, multiplayer and Move support, it seems that GG are keen to make Killzone 3 the definitive PS3 FPS game.
  2. Uncharted 3
    A bigger better Uncharted 2... what more needs to be said?
  3. Motorstorm: Apocalypse
    I was always a big supporter of moving Motorstorm to the city, but blowing up the city whilst you're there is an inspired move by the developers. The videos that have been released thus far, make it look a league above Pacific Rift technically, and far more ambitious in it's destruction than Split Second.
  4. Mass Effect 2 (PS3)
    This is very much a last minute addition to the list. It wasn't the recently released demo, but the wash of praise on these very pages, and a funny incident in my local game shop. The guy who runs it is a friend, and the other week I walked in, and he cheerfully informed me that he'd just pre-ordered Mass Effect 2 for me. I told him I hadn't ordered it, and he just smiled and said, trust me, you'll love it. I guess I will. :)
  5. Bulletstorm
    A game that looks every bit as insane as it plays... hopefully. With an emphasis on stylish kills, and with player abilities to both kick and whip your enemies into deadly environmental traps, Epic and People Can Fly look to have made a concerted effort to put fun back into the heart of the FPS genre.

Hall of Shame

1. Piracy
    It's an old chestnut this, but the recently released piracy charts, which show that 4.27 million copies of Black Ops for PC were downloaded (and as I understand, that's just from public trackers) versus the 884,203 (taken from vgchartz) copies sold, really does highlight how little regard people have for PC software these days.
    I don't think anybody is still championing the old one download = one lost sale mantra, but clearly these levels of piracy are weakening the platform's commercial viability.
    Console piracy seems to be on the up too, and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for the developers of games like Red Steel 2, to be forced to look on as over twice as many people pirate their game as pay for it. At the end of the day, I think it's far more important what people do buy than what they don't, and if somebody buys a mountain of games all year round but also downloads the odd early leak, then I don't think you'll hear too many cries of foul play, but I do find the increasingly righteous attitude of many pirates disappointing. If you like games, support the devs and publishers who fund and work their nuts off to produce them.
  2. Format Warriors
    You're sooo 2007. It's okay, you can put down your blood stained controllers and book of snide remarks, all consoles are great nowadays. Be happy and just play them. :)
  3. Military Shooters
    Clearly there's not enough of them.
  4. PSP Negativity
    60 million sold and many talk about it and it's upcoming follow up as if they're complete non-events.
    Sure, there's very real concerns and reasons why Sony has a fight on it's hands to get the PSP brand back into the hearts and minds of the western mainstream, but competition in the market can only be a good thing, and the keenness with which some people are dismissing PSP2 is disheartening. At the very least it's competition for the big N, and whilst both companies appear to have different strategies for their respective devices, both are looking to bring quality software to gamers, so whichever platform floats your boat, the presence of one will almost certainly help to raise the standards of the other.
  5. Day One DLC
    If it's ready day one, put it on the disc. DLC may now be an established part of gaming, but nickel-and-diming your customers by holding back the odd costume or worse, ruining multiplayer (hello Split Second) by giving purchasers a clear online advantage is something I hope doesn't become the norm.

1. Move
    Move's greatest strength is it's versatility. Mixing camera tracking, a 3D tracking device, and the buttons/triggers of a cut down duel shock, make Move pretty much ready for any type of game you can throw at it. It's this in-built flexibility which - I believe - will ensure the device is used for the most creative and entertaining motion based games going forward.
    It hasn't yet found it's killer app, but with a good selection of games currently on the market, and dedicated titles like Sorcery and a new Ape Escape game in the works, along with a range of Move compatible games such as Killzone 3 and Socom 4 set for release early next year, it's clear that Move has been designed with the widest range of applications in mind.
  2. God Of War 3
    Bosses which fill the screen several times over, the first use of MLAA in consoles, and one of the most memorable opening levels in gaming history. Santa Monica Studio pulled out all the stops to make Kratos's PS3 debut a proper jaw dropper.
  3. Dance Central
    I've specifically left Kinect off this list, not because it isn't impressive tech or because it doesn't work, but because I think the tech is fundamentally limited in the type of games it can either work with, or compliment. Dance Central however, is a game which makes fantastic use of the tech that's there, and fully encapsulates the joy of controller free gaming.
  4. Vanquish
    Not content with filling the screen with enemies, the engine which powers Vanquish keeps track of every projectile fired, and no matter how insane the action gets, the frame rate is kept at a solid 30fps without any screen tear. For those who doubted Platinum's ability to create a technically proficient PS3 title, Vanquish marks the final word on the matter.
  5. God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta
    If Ghost Of Sparta is to be PSP's last hurrah, then Ready At Dawn have done their level best to ensure that nobody underestimated what the hardware was capable of. It comfortably matched GoW2 for PS2, providing an experience steeped in top shelf production values, typically associated with the finest first party games.

Best Online Experience

1. Demon's Souls
    Few moments in gaming have given me as much pleasure as reading the forewarnings of others, whilst trekking the perilous world of Demon's Souls. Making the online component a living breathing part of the single player experience was an inspired decision. Seeing fellow players move around the world, engrossed in their own quests never breaks the atmosphere or impending sense of dread, yet it provides a perfect counter point to the tension with pervades every foot step. Until you read the text: "A Black Phantom Has Invaded", at which point all those feelings of anxiety increase 100 fold... great stuff. :)
  2. Need For Speed
    Autolog. Fin.
  3. Goldeneye
    Proof that you can do online multiplayer successfully on the Wii. Far from being just a trip down memory lane, Goldeneye online offers a compelling multiplayer package, with a variety of modes and a wealth of maps to choose from. Social features may be somewhat hamstrung by the fundamentally basic online set up of the Wii, but Goldeneye does a good job of masking the Wii's online quirks, and offers users a smooth online interface.

Best Use of Waggle

1. Red Steel 2
    Few developers have taken up the challenge of adding convincing Motion Plus controls to their Wii games, let alone basing the game entirely around the device, but Red Steel 2 is a great example of what other games are missing.
    The game itself is a stand out example of both a third party delivering for the Wii, but also how waggle need - in no way - be a hurdle to creating a good core game. The sword play is convincing, allowing you to improvise your own style, whilst the game ensures you never stray beyond your ability to string together successful swipes. Motion Plus ensures the whole experience is a fluid and intuitive affair, and it's this ability to make motion controls an integral part of the game, (in a way which classic controllers couldn't replicate to the same satisfaction) which makes Red Steel 2 a leading example in how waggle can improve a game.
  2. Tumble
    Sony have billed Move as being more of a 3D mouse than a waggle wand, and you'll find no better justification for those claims than in Tumble. Tumble is unique in that it doesn't use motion as either a pointing device or as a means with which to trigger on screen events, it asks that you reach into the game area, and manipulate the blocks of the puzzle in 3D space. As a game it's certainly a well thought out idea, with many challenges, but as a tech demo for what the Move can do it's peerless.
  3. The Shoot
    In almost polar opposite to Tumble, The Shoot makes the list purely because it's a great example of how good motion control need not be overly complicated. For the most part, all The Shoot asks of you, is that you point and shoot and try your hand at chaining your shots. Sure, there's the daft spin-on-the-spot special move, but the simple demands of this great looking, fun, and perfectly paced light gun game of yore, have made it a delight to play through.
  4. Dance Central
    Making the best use of Kinect yet, Harmonix deliver this expertly crafted dance 'em up.
  5. Sports Champions
    Sony's Move showcase game skimps on production but nails the controls. Hours can be lost playing Bocce with a friend, and the use of two controllers for the Archery game makes an already compelling mini-game an outright addiction.

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story
    One of the most addictive games I've ever played. Of course the premise was bound to capture the imagination of most gamers, but the real win here is in the effortless execution. The game has a wonderful sense of inertia, making you feel truly in control of the game studio and games you produce. You're rarely dealt a knockout blow when a game fails to sell as well as you'd hoped, and there's always fresh tactics to try to change your fortunes.
    It's the little touches, like choosing the name of both your business and games, which makes Game Dev Story so endearing. Seeing the staff pulling all nighters and sitting back once a game has shipped, anticipating the review scores and eventual sales, all go towards giving gamers a taste of the industry we spend so much time reading about.
  2. Mirror's Edge
    Taking it's cues from both the offical Flash version and App Store darling, Cannabalt, this re-imagining of Mirror's Edge for idevices proves to be a resounding success. The animation is particularly convincing, and graphically it captures the fresh crisp look of the console game. As with the original game, timing the jumps, slides and re-bounds is crucial to getting a half decent time, but the game is accessible to all. An excellent example of how to do an idevice port, without compromising what made the original game so great.
  3. Rat On A Skateboard
    Shush at the back, it's actually an incredibly addictive platformer/trick based game... with a rat.
  4. Sonic 4: Episode 1
    From rats to hedgehogs. It's fair to say that Sonic has had a bit of a revival year, with both Episode 4 and Colours proving that Sonic does still have a place on modern gaming platforms. Sure, the inertia is messed up, and that's no small thing by any means, but once you get used to the new way of doing things, what you get is a solid 2D Sonic game, which is just about worthy of the "4" title which Sega has seen fit to give it.

Best PS3 Game

1. God Of War 3
    As said in the game of the year category, no game this year has left me as amazed or as thrilled as Kratos's final outing. Epic from start to finish, with the trademark GoW combat re-tooled for it's most engaging and brutal outing yet.
  2. Vanquish
    Platinum Games' take on the peak and shoot genre is all about speed, style and score. Epic set piece follows epic set piece, and every moment is saturated in reflex splitting combat (how about that for a soundbite ;)). The engine powering it all is all the more impressive given how smoothly it keeps track of the action, and how great it looks. Sega and Platinum deserve many millions of sales here.
  3. Heavy Rain
    An incredibly important release for the industry, and an enthralling game in it's own right. Quantic Dream delivered the goods with this interactive drama.
  4. Demon's Souls
    Nearly three years since it's original release, and Demon's Souls is still a game people talk about with unfettered joy. Not just in spite of it's brutal difficulty level, but because of it, Demon's Souls was easily one of the most compelling games released on these shores this year. With an unparalleled level of online integration throughout the adventure, Demon's Souls managed to pull off the incredible feat of making the player feel isolated, yet never alone.
  5. Yakuza 3
    It's hard to fault Yakuza 3 on any level really. There's a wealth of content which could keep many players busy for the entirety of the year, were they inclined to explore every last side quest the game offered. The characters and story all show meaningful progression since the second game, and the combat - whilst still very much in the realm of Streets of Rage: The Next Generation - is as brutal and as creative as it ever was.
    Some of the side missions could stand as adventure games in themselves, and the main quest goes so deep, that you would need to play little else for a year to do justice to all of the notes, character profiles and conversations strewn throughout the game world. A truly great game, which ticks all the right boxes.

Best PSP Game

1. God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta
    It may lack the sheer scale or wow factor of GoW3, but Ghost Of Sparta is about as accomplished a game as anyone could hope for on PSP. The combat has been tweaked to suit the faster pace of the PSP game, and a greater focus has been placed on platforming.
  2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    A full fat Metal Gear Solid game for PSP. Very little has been sacrificed in getting the game on the platform, with the stealth action and typically grandiose plot arriving intact.
  3. Dante's Inferno
    Similarly to Ghost Of Sparta, Dante's Inferno is a top quality take of a console game shrunk to fit on PSP, and Visceral games should be commended for just how little shrinking has actually been necessary. Dante's Inferno plays remarkably similarly to the original HD game, with most of the key sections (I think the main beast platforming sections are gone) remaining unscathed. The game itself is for all intents and purposes a budget God Of War, lacking much of the spectacle, but retaining the satisfying combat.
  4. Widgets Odyssey
    An endearing Mini title which I really clicked with. Widgets Odyssey is a simple game, which places you in charge of four robots, who separately, have to complete minor tasks on the planet they happen to crash into for that level. It's incredibly simple, completely unrevolutionary, but with it's mix of platforming, puzzle solving and combat, the game presents a fun 30mins of entertainment, and at £1.79 I'm happy to recommend both this and it's sequel.
  5. Edge
    I've not actually bought this on PSP yet, but I just love the idea of Tim Langdell crying bitter tears at the game spreading to more formats with it's original name intact, and the significant role he's played in the games promotion. :) The game itself is a smart little puzzler, which requires you to guide your block around a maze of traps and platforms. Great times.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Vanquish
    I've covered this one, but just in case I've not been clear enough, Vanquish is many shades of win, go buy it. :)
  2. Castelvania: Lords Of Shadow
    An immense game which remains one of the most satisfying adventures any game has ever taken me on. The story is well told and has many of it's own twists, and whilst the combat starts off hard, as you progress and learn how to fully use the dark and light powers, you're soon able to turn the tables on the enemies you once fled from. You could argue that no one aspect of Castlevania stands as best in class, and that would be fair comment, but rarely have I played a game which presents such a well rounded and complete experience.
  3. Darksiders
    A great mix of Zelda and God Of War, with plenty of dungeons, puzzles and bosses to take down.
  4. Bayonetta
    What Vanquish did for the third person shooter, Bayonetta did for third person combat. It's expert use of slow motion "witch time" coupled with it's wide ranging combo list and diverse range of enemies, made it the new standard for third person fighters.
  5. Alpha Protocol
    A compelling action RPG game, which puts you in the role of secret agent, Michael Thorton. Whilst let down somewhat by flakey production values and B grade gameplay mechanics, the underline decision making and story are spot on. Each decision you make has real impact on the way the story unfolds, and an amazing amount of effort has gone into ensuring that no decision is frivolous, or quickly cast aside.
    The friends or enemies you make have a direct outcome on how the game plays out, and how you choose to build your character up holds great influence on the style of gameplay (shooting/stealth/combat) you'll be experiencing.

Best Wii Game

1. Goldeneye
    It may not be the Goldeneye which was once the standard by which all other FPS games were measured, but then it's still lightyears away from the money grubbing, point missing, EA re-hash from the previous generation. Goldeneye is a well built, well designed FPS game, which can comfortably stand toe to toe with the best games released this year. The multiplayer is a great mix of classic modes and characters, with perks and kill streaks settling nicely into the classic formulae.
    Sure, we probably won't be talking about it this time next year, but for what it is, there's very little not to like about Goldeneye.
  2. Red Steel 2
    A stand out example of how motion controls can enrich a core game, past the ability of a game pad. Red Steel 2 provided eight hours of sword slashing, gun fighting fun. It's avant-garde mix of eastern and old west stylings gave the game a distinctive look, and whilst the play areas often felt disappointingly confined, once you got past the first three or four levels, the game began opening up, and a solid action adventure game emerged.
    No doubt that the star of the show is the Motion Plus enabled sword play, and on this level the game is still the best example of motion control in a core gaming genre.
  3. Sonic Colours
    So the cycle is broken, Sega actually managed to put out a Sonic game which not only didn't suck the week old sweat off a donkeys nut sack, but was actually a blinding little title. Going back to the ideals of the first games, i.e. speed and platforming, Sonic Colours focuses on smaller more compact levels, each with their own focus and necessary special skill. Whilst that doesn't sound particularly like classic Sonic, most of the levels feature Sonic's trademark looping and jumping, just with more character than a simple skin change.
    It'll need to do more to be truly remembered as a great game, but for a franchise which has done little more than raise cries of anguish from the Sonic faithful for the past decade, it's a very positive step.
  4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
    I'm currently playing this one with my girlfriend, and we're having a great time. Retro Studios have gone back to Donkey Kong's roots without getting bogged down by them. Sure, the waggle feels totally unnecessary, but the level designs are utterly sublime, capturing the very best of the SNES era games, whilst bringing a good range of fresh ideas. Mine cart levels will continue to frustrate and entertain in equal measure. :)
  5. Sin & Punishment 2
    An unexpected as it's announcement was, Sin & Punishment 2 was a welcome surprise for Wii owners looking for some old school shooting action. Key to S&P 2's success is it's adherence to the staples which made the first game such a cult favourite. The bosses remained as imaginative and massive as ever, and the games swooping camera made the action appear as cinematic as any game on the Wii. Two player is a bit of a let down, as the second player is relegated to nothing more than an extra cursor, but that aside, this proved to be a welcome instalment to the franchise.

Best Download-only Game

1. Joe Danger
    A real gem of a title. The main game stays just on the right side of challenging, but the skill needed to get a half decent rank has you returning to it again and again and again. Great physics and ingenious level design all make this a PSN highlight.
  2. Dead Nation
    Tough as nails but gorgeous to look at, this bite sized take on Left 4 Dead is a proper PSN gem. The game takes a top down view and puts a focus on laying down traps and ploughing down waves of the undead with a constantly upgradable weapon set. Online co-op is just as much fun as you'd expect, with one player laying down suppression fire whilst the other plants mines, or sets off car bombs.
  3. After Burner Climax
    Everything you'd expect from a modern day take on this fast, arcade rooted franchise. It looks and sounds brilliant, and the alternate routes and score attack modes ensure you're never quite ready to call it a day. More of this please Sega.
  4. Echochrome 2
    The perfect union of an inventive idea, with the right tool to make it work. Manipulating light and shadow with the Move controller, in order to progress your character through each level is an inspired idea, and makes Echochrome 2 a worthy sequel to the hooking original.
  5. Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype
    A solid follow up to the original bullet hell side scrolling shooter. With an adaptive difficulty level and a gorgous set of back drops to set the action against, this is a thoroughly enjoyable take on the classic genre.

Sorry for the excessive commenting. I started with a few random comments but just kept typing away, until the ones I hadn't commented on looked oddly neglected!

Game of the Year

1. Super Street Fighter IV Endless fun. What more needs to be said about this game? I couldn't regard it any higher, my favourite game of this generation by miles. I've spent so much of my time gaming this year playing SSF4, no other games could possibly top my list.
  2. Red Dead Redemption Loved the presentation and style. Moving so slowly on a horse has never felt so good.
  3. Gran Turismo PSP I really liked the new system that came with GT:PSP. A lot more credits for buying cars, a lot of tracks and a decent amount of depth with the class system. Managed to keep to it's tag line and be a driving sim but also FUN, something the GT series has lacked over the last few iterations in my opinion. There's so much less grind to it than the previous games. This game totally suprised me with how much time i've put into it in such a short space of time.
  4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Love the online mode, love the offline mode. As a big fan of the Burnout series it's great to see Criterion put out something with Need For Speed written on it that could actually make me devote lots of time to.
  5. God of War 3 I'm a bit of a fan of God of War, so it was nice to finally see the end of the trilogy. I wasn't to fussed about the end itself, but i bought i PS3 in anticipation of it and it was exactly what I wanted, just like the other ones. It makes it to 5 just because they didn't fuck it up.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Batman: Arkham City
  2. SSF4 Arcade Edition
  3. The Elder Scrolls V
  4. Marvel Vs Capcom 3
  5. The Last Guardian

Hall of Shame

1. Activision Bastards...
  2. Games with no offline multiplayer Skate 3 and NFS:Hot Pursuit specifically.
  3. DLC prices for SSF4 costumes erm...how much?!
  4. Bayonetta
  5. Microsoft Kinect All the in store demos they did this year and all i saw was retards playing with broken technology.

1. God of War 3
  2. Red Dead Redemption

Best Online Experience

1. NFS Hot Pursuit
  2. Modern Warfare 2 I had a shit load of fun playing MW2 online this year, despite not thinking too much of the game itself.
  3. SSF4

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

1. Angry Birds
  2. Fruit Ninja

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

1. SSF4
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. NFS Hot Pursuit
  4. God of War 3
  5. Uncharted 2

Best PSP Game

1. Gran Turismo
  2. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
  3. Half Minute Hero

Best Xbox 360 Game

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Angry Birds
  3. Scott Pilgrim

Game of the Year

1. Rock Band 3 - I've barely touched the keyboards and have no pro guitar, yet the updates they've made to the game are already enough to please me, and the game is consistently excellent.
  2. Mass Effect 2 -even though I've barely scratched the surface, it's shaping up excellently
  3. Limbo - dripping with more atmosphere than a leaky Jupiter and a billion times more healthy, if that's a thing. Perhaps not challenging enough, but it's a small niggle in an otherwise terrific experience.
  4. Perfect Dark - sure, it's a remake. But it's excellent. Playing on Perfect Agent and crafting the best path through the game, you get a thrill that's often absent in today's games. I wouldn't want every game to be like it, but I like that they still exist. Even if they don't.
  5. Scott Pilgrim vs The World - Better than the movie, and more playable than the comic book, as a beat em up it's quite unforgiving and still not as good as Renegade, but still provided one of the finest beat em up experiences I've had. Ever. Which isn't much, but there you go.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - So good was the first game that even the deeply disappointing sequel can't dull my enthusiasm for a third. Then came the teasers and the gameplay videos, and my god it's probably the only game I'll buy in 2011 that I'll actually play within seconds of purchasing. Yes, I will bring my Xbox to the god damn shop to play this game.
  2. Portal 2 - It is perhaps only my deep, deep love for Deus Ex that relegates this into second. Poor Portal 2, you will be loved and cherised and slightly abused just as much as ever.
  3. Mass Effect 3 - Two is big enough that I don't mind waiting. Hell, one was big enough that I wouldn't mind waiting. I've plenty of Shepards to go through.
  4. My Game - Cheating, I know, but I'm looking forward to whatever I make. It'll be "hella awesome", as nobody says.

Hall of Shame

1. Kinect - was largely underwhelmed by the games, but the technology is nicely impressive, and for that I give it three biscuits.

Best Online Experience

1. FIFA 11 - entirely for the Rllmuk league. Ok, it's also the only game I've played online, and only in the league, but it's also the reason why I have a gold account.

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Rock Band 3
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Limbo
  4. Perfect Dark
  5. Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
  3. Super Meat Boy - barely touched it, but it oozes charm and polish and as there's nothing else I can think of, it gets this spot.

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption - Just a sublime game in every respect, from the music to the gunplay to the story and the acting. Loved it, and with Undead Nightmare Rockstar showed a whole new direction as well.
  2. Alan Wake - One of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. A tiny bit samey, but when played in episodes rather than long stretches amazingly compelling and tense.
  3. Demon's Souls - I haven't invested enough time in this game yet, but it's wonderfully crafted. The combination of innovation and re-use of older, almost forgotten, mechanics make this something really special. Punishing and rewarding at the same time.
  4. Fallout: New Vegas - Seems to lack the wonder of Fallout 3 and delivered in a less than polished package. Still captivating and triggering all my OCD neurons. Easy to fault, hard to put down.
  5. Need for Speed: Hot pursuit - Amazing fast racing, implementation of Autolog with its speedwall constantly breathes new life in previously completed events. Online racing is great too. This is the real Burnout 3.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. L.A. Noire - Everything looks amazing about this game. Will it be good? Can't wait to find out.
  2. The Last Guardian - The successor to two of my favourite games ever.
  3. Batman: Arkham City - I only completed Arkham Asylum this year, and I want MOAR.
  4. Uncharted 3 - Uncharted 2 was my 2009 GOTY. So yeah, bring it on.
  5. Ico & SotC HD - I sold my PS2 and all its games, so I'm looking forward to revisit these games in HD and with a proper framerate.

Hall of Shame

1. The ever increasing dominance of waggle - I don't like waggle and the R&D and marketing spent on waggle only gets in the way of:
  2. Still no news on a next generation of hardware - The current gen is starting to struggle and it's showing its age. As it takes about a year between announcement and release and THEN another year before there's a proper library of games, it's about time we heard something about future systems.
  3. The release of very, very buggy games - F1 2010 and New Vegas were both great games plagued by some very stupid and gamebreaking bugs which should have never been allowed in the shipped code. I guess on a PC there's little you can do, but Sony and Microsoft should be more strict with their certification to prevent this kind of stuff from happening.
  4. Paid/promotional "DLC" that's already on the disc - Every store giving different freebies, having to buy 10 types of soda to collect some cars and a cheap map pack available on the day of release without a single download in sight. This is not how to do DLC.
  5. The hamfisted way Microsoft tries to draw in new people - The Xbox site is a mess, it looks like kindergarten/pedo hangout now. Bring back the geek!

1. Alan Wake - I'd never thought anybody would be able to pull off eerier forests than David Lynch did with Twin Peaks. I was wrong.
  2. Vanquish - About 10 million objects flying, running, burning and exploding all over the screen and hardly a stutter.
  3. Red Dead Redemption - Beautiful landscapes and lighting, combined with great acting and storytelling. One of the best realised game worlds and stories ever.
  4. Mafia 2 - Wartime New York brought to life, hugely atmospheric. Too bad that this attention to detail is largely absent from the latter chapters of the game though.
  5. Heavy Rain - An innovative take on storytelling in videogames, great cinematic approach and use of camera angles. As a game it's flawed in places, but on the whole I found it a very impressive title.

Best Online Experience

1. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Online races are great fun, but the Autolog integration with constant updates on your times being beaten by friends make this a never ending battleground. Very addictive and well thought out.
  2. Pinball FX2 - Just online scoreboards really. But handled really well, and integrated in the game so you're constantly aware who you are beating or how much more you need to smash some record. This sense of competition is essential to keep pinball exciting.
  3. Words with Friends - Turn based wordplay, it's really simple but it works well and is especially well suited to a mobile platform (make new words while you're on the toilet for example).
  4. Demon's Souls - The silhouettes of other players, the hint system, the gestures the bloodstains: while isolated you feel like there are others in a parallel universe fighting the same fight you are. The possibilities of co-op or pvp adds another layer of excitement and dread.

Best Use of Waggle

1. - I'm happy if it doesn't get in the way too much. DKCR was just on the right side of acceptable.

Best NDS Game

1. Nothing tickled my fancy on the DS this year

Best Mobile Game

1. World of Goo - An old favourite but as it's now released for the iPad, it goes right back up :) Best version too.
  2. Angry Birds - Addictive and funny, great in short bursts.
  3. Trainyard - Lovely little puzzler.
  4. Cut the Rope - Lovely little puzzler.
  5. Words with Friends - Nice social game.

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

1. Demon's Souls
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. God of War III
  4. Joe Danger
  5. Mafia II

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Alan Wake
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  5. Pinball FX2

Best Wii Game

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Pinball FX2
  2. World of Goo
  3. Angry Birds
  4. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
  5. Limbo

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
  3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. Alpha Protocol - god I loved this game, a pity about the slightly rubbish engine and bossfights. I really don't know why it got such pisspoor reviews.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Ghost Trick
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Portal II
  4. Brink

Hall of Shame

1. Hydrophobia's accents Specifically the nightmarish, offensively bad one sported by Scoot, the '"Scottish" guy, who sounds about as Scottish as Nelson Mandela.
  2. Exclusive Pre-order bonuses. It's getting a bit ridiculous now, every company has a different piece of content! Even worse, somtimes it's essentially a cheat code.
  3. Fallout New Vegas's bugginess

1. Alan Wake - It simply looks amazing.
  2. Battlefield Bad Company 2 When a full 24 player match is going, with shells exploding, buildings collapsing, bullets zipping overhead, helicopters crashing... it's incredibly immersive. Poor matchmaking system brings it down a shade.
  3. Infinity Blade
  4. Red Dead Redemption
  5. Just Cause 2

Best Online Experience

1. Bad Company 2
  2. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit - Great online races, and Autolog is excellent.
  3. DJ Hero 2
  4. Halo Reach I enjoyed a Halo game online for the first time!
  5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood A pity so many players are stupid :<

Best Use of Waggle

1. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Best NDS Game

1. Picross 3D
  2. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Rooms Not finished this, but enjoying it more than most DS games this year.
  3. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story
  2. Pix'nLove Rush
  3. Hector
  4. Osmos
  5. Train Conductor 2

Best PC Game

1. die2nite

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Alan Wake
  3. Dead Rising Case Zero
  4. Hydro Thunder Hurricane[/b

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Pac Man CE DX
  3. Risk Factions
  4. Hydo Thunder Hurricane
  5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Fallout New Vegas
  3. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
  4. Dead Rising 2
  5. Battlefield Bad Company 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. The Last Guardian
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Dead Space 2
  4. Duke Nukem Forever
  5. GTA V- ever the optimist

Hall of Shame

1. Activision - for obvious reasons
  2. Lionhead Studios - for Fable III - finish the game before you release it
  3. Obsidian - for New Vegas, great game but glitchy and ran like a dog

1. Red Dead Redemption - just wow.

Best Online Experience

1. Halo Reach
  2. Battlefield Bad Company
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

1. Angry Birds

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Fallout New Vegas
  3. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
  4. Dead Rising 2
  5. Battlefield Bad Company 2

Best Wii Game

1. Goldeneye 007

Best Download-only Game

1. Angry Birds
  2. Dead Rising Case Zero

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
  3. Civilization V
  4. Gran Turismo 5
  5. Halo Reach

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Uncharted 3
  2. The Last Guardian
  3. LA Noire
  4. Diablo 3
  5. Portal 2

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Assassins Creeed Brotherhood
  3. Heavy Rain
  4. Halo Reach
  5. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

Best Online Experience

1. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
  2. Halo Reach

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story
  2. Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Best PC Game

1. Civilization V
  2. Fallout New Vegas
  3. Mass Effect 2
  4. Just Cause 2
  5. Mafia 2

Best PS3 Game

1. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
  2. Gran Turismo 5
  3. Heavy Rain
  4. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
  5. Prince Of Persia The Forgotten Sands

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Super Meat Boy
  4. Limbo

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Limbo
  3. Joe Danger
  4. Lara Croft Guardian Of Light

Game of the Year

1. Tetris - It's Tetris.
  2. Bayonetta - Because, well Bayonetta.
  3. Demon's Souls - Still all kinds of awesome.
  4. Transformers: War for Cybertron - Best Saturday-morning episode since the '80s.
  5. Puzzle Dimension - The return of Kula World was grand indeed.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Kid Icarus Uprising - 20 years. TWEN.TY.YEARS.
  2. Project Dark - Harder,less fair, even more awesome. I hope.

Hall of Shame

1. ActivisionBlizzard - Utterly deplorable. I don't like CoD, but you simply can't do this.
  2. Kinect - Ripping off the EyeToy, claiming a revolution while still not solving the critical problems of EyeToy to start with.
  3. PlayStation Move - You have EyeToy already, so if your competitor is ripping you off, it's best to rip off something else instead.

1. Everybody was just standing still imo. Not that we needed anything more.

Best Online Experience

1. Demon's Souls - Frankly, because after its release in Japan it's still the only game trying something goddamned new online.

Best Use of Waggle

1. Who on Earth made up this category?

Best NDS Game

1. Sorry, NDS is dead to me.

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story - Fun.

Best PC Game

1. Puzzle Dimension - Kula World's offsrping and utterly delightful.
  2. VVVVVV - Challenging, fun and an far grander experience that it might suggest.

Best PS3 Game

1. Tetris - It's Tetris.
  2. Demon's Souls - People should know by now why this pops up.
  3. Transformers: War for Cybertron - Only let down by a highly disappointing multiplayer game.
  4. Marvel Pinball - Pinball FX2 goodness on PS3!

Best PSP Game

1. Sorry, PSP is dead to me.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Bayonetta - Great, wonderful, sexy in all the wrong ways.
  2. Pinball FX2 - Terrific update. Zen Studios are the modern pinball masters.
  3. Limbo - Short, sweet and not afraid to kill you.

Best Wii Game

1. Metroid: Other M - Sadly, also makes you a misogynist. Or at least less tolerant of women talking.
  2. Cave Story - About DAMN time.
  3. Donkey Kong Country Returns - Weak soundtrack and no Jungle Beat, but still a fun platforming experience.

Best Download-only Game

1. Tetris - It's Tetris.
  2. Puzzle Dimension - Kula World 2.
  3. VVVVVV - V!
  4. Cave Story - Now for a sequel.
  5. Pinball FX2 - Pinball wizard.

Got into the habit of being a regular lurker in the forums these days - RLLMUK is my "read on the toilet while I'm at work" iPhone app of choice which makes actually contributing a bit harder, so I trying to actually write a bit to back up my votes this year.

great great year for game, strangely, maybe uniquely(?) the first months of the year might have been better then the second half? The top three game in my list are actually really hard to separate, and I could probably make a case for any of them actually getting top spot but....

Game of the Year

1. Halo reachNever been a massive Halo player in the past, but this had the best single campaign of any Halo game and the best this year from any FPS by some margin. The story was told in such a mature, subtle way when compared to something like Black-ops which thought violence and blood meant Adult and mature but in fact made the whole thing feel childish. The escalation in the conflict was brilliantly told and paced. Loved the line "Are you trying to find out if we're winning", reply, "I'm trying to find out if we've already lost". Adding matchmaking to firefight enabled it to finally become accessible to me (no other halo players on my friends list really) and this has become my go-to online game as I'm not much of a Verses online player - in fact I've not even played those modes in HR.
    The space flight shooter sections was also fantastically realised, again showing Treyarch how its done. As a graphical showcase it also helped demonstrate that art design and lighting are just as important, if not more so then concentrating on texture mapping and realism - yep Treyarch take note again.
    HR allowed Bungie to show how much they've learnt over the course of producing the series and its a fitting final entry for them, a fantastic package of a game when you consider campaign, firefight, Verse, forge etc etc. Great value.
  2. Mass effect 2 Pretty much everything to say about this game has already been said already by forum members. It is a massive improvement on what I thought was a promising but pretty flawed (rushed) first game. Graphically and sonically stunning at times I loved the episodic structure provided by the team recruitment \ loyalty mission set-up. It made the game feel like a sci-fi series and it didn't make the game feel any less epic compared to the first. An amazing last 1\2 hours of game play as well. They could really, really, REALLY do with streamlining the planet scanning though. i understand why they did it - but probably like many on this forum, I'm hopeless systematic when I play games and it resulted in me unnecessarily scanning every planet in the solar system and extracting a ridiculously excessive amount of raw materials over my travels. My sheppard is not only the galaxies Savour but also the Rio Tinto mining mogal supreme with probably enough cash to intimidate the illusive man once I've saved humanity - simply can't wait for number 3. please please please don't be delayed!
  3. Red dead redemption The most beautiful game of the year, maybe ever? just riding on my horse from A to B, soaking up the atmosphere was enough. Which actually was just as well because really, really, if we're being objective and honest here, the actual mechanics of the game and mission variety was on the slim\ basic side. The writing was excellent, with the first and third sections of the game really tightly delivered. Such a same that the Sergio leonie style mexican section dragged. Just with GTA, rockstar's problem is that their great writing is needed to distracted the player from some fairly basic mechanics and game structure. Mostly the writing is actually good enough for us to invest in our character and "get involved",which in a videogame is an achievement to be celebrated. The problem with this is that when "my" Marseden started to help the military kill\massacre rebels, including women it broke my connection and sympathy with character. I understand that section is meant to be a Fist full of dollars pastiche, eastwood playing both sides for his own purposes, but it was clumsily done - and Eastwood would never have gone as far as Marseden in killing those rebals. The lack-of player choice alla MS2 in this section showed-up the limitations of the underlying mission story mechanics. when the writing and character buy-in broke down, I got bored and fed up. Thats why RDR took about 2.5months to finsh. Mind you the final third of the game was totally amazing, and is up there with the best 1-2 hours of a video game ever. Rockstar like Kojima, really really need to find a strong editor who is brave enough to cut material.
  4. DJ hero 2 a really great surprised. got it on the cheap this xmas and I can't recommend it strongly enough- the whole family were playing it. the peripheral is really well made and solid, and the feeling, when you get it right, especially the sections where you have control of the two mixes \ fades. It really deserves to sell buckets
  5. Final Fantasy 13 My guilty pleasure this year - at one point I thought it could be game of the year for me. I hadn't played a JRPG for years so this probably helped me in thinking that FF13 felt fresh and different. Won't argue that it was a really cut down RPG but i really didn't miss running around generic village a-b-c staying at an inn to recharge hearts and all that bollocks. the game was basically a really nice battle system with niffty graphics and great music. I found the whole thing strangely relaxing. i spent numerous sunday afternoons slouched supa-low on my couch (you know that position when your almost lying on the couch but your head is just propped up some-what just twiddling a few buttons causing super-spectacular mayhem on screen. You can't play Halo or Pro evo like that - well I can't anyway - but for FF13 its the perfect position. strangely when i got to the "ooh it all opens up" section and started to read about just how much end of game grinding it takes to reach the highest levels, create the best weapon and take on some of the highest level beasts I started to lose interest. I think I got pretty close to the game's end, having played about 50-60 hours and then got distracted by GOD3 and Heavy rain and I haven't been back to it since. But I really enjoyed what I played of it(sorry!) I've pobalby not played a single game of as long all year.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass effect 3
  2. Gears of war 3
  3. Last Guardian
  4. Child of eden
  5. Arkham City

Hall of Shame

1. God of war 3 Can game be a technical marvel and in the hall of shame? Unbelievable visuals papering over a last gen game design. Consider the advances made by Mass effect 2 and Assassins Creed 2 over their predecessors and compare against GOD2 to GOD 3 which was also a generation leap! apart from being able to change between blades outside of a pause menu I can't really think of any new mechanics or systems. The titan clashes were amazing and are some of the best visually presented moments available in gaming but other bread and butter mechanics - the jump button, standing in save lights and not being able to save - were poorly implemented. the story disintegrated into total mess and the last 1\4 of the game was totally dull compared to earlier sections. In terms of pacing Halo and Mass effect are light years ahead. It seems like a classic example of a developer focusing on technical delivery over design and story (hello Killzone 2!). no game has impressed my more with graphics then the moment when the camera zooms right in behind Kratos when he first moved into a crack in the wall. The texture on the wall and the way it came out of the screen was literally jaw dropping. 3D without 3D, but really your game is in a bit of trouble when that is the best part of the game
  2. Gran Turismo 5 See above, last gen - actually make that PS1 gen game structure papered over with (sometimes) amazing car models and tracks. Why there wasn't a total outcry about this game from the community is beyond me. X years of developed and its not launched with proper integrated online play. Developers should be ashamed. See previous comments about game director needing an editor! Give me Need for spped hot pursuit any day please.
  3. COD Black ops I actually got into the multi-player a bit and don't have a problem with that - but I'm certainly no online FPS expect so I'll bow to other views here. campaign is another matter however. Black-ops was juvenile in the extreme mistaking graphic violence for maturity and providing the most linear FPs I think I've ever played. At times super frustrating as well - at least 2 sections in the game required me to restart many many times and actually had me switching the damn 360 off with frustration (the silent kill you are required to make from the water in Vietnam, and the "stealth" starting section towards the end (you start in a crate with your russian mate) when guards automatically detect your presence even if your hiding causing you to have to redo the whole fucking section) The "kick the barrels" section I've read caused problems for many was fine for me mind you but is another example of shoddy design. I can't think of one section \ level I want to re-play. I understand that CODs are not about sandbox levels and choice, I'm fine with that MW1&2 are among my favourite games this gen. But the developer is responsible for hiding the limitations behind smoke and mirror. infinity ward understand how to do this. In MW2 there are still many levels with alternative routes in a limited sense, the fast food level, Favella level and fight in the suburb \houses to quickly name 3. there is none of this in black ops, I lost count of the times I was blown off my feet and dragged in slow-mo by some colleague - yawnnnnnnnnnn. Also The vehicle \ non-FPs sections all felt gimmicky and poorly delivered upon. Prehaps worse then any of this was the feeling that I was on my own in think the game a massive disappointment as reviewers all over proclaimed the game the best COD single player campaign - no no no!

1. God of war 3 See comments about best walking through a crack in a wall graphics EVER. Also when the baddies appear from behind Kratos, kind of from the back of the screen kind of thing and when the game zooms righhhhttttt out and you can still control Kratos - jaw dropping stuff
  2. Need for speed hot pursuit Kind of simple but auto log, really well implemented idea. just a shame the load times, particularly to re-start an in-progress level were just a little long for me
  3. alan wake certainly not for the lip sinch but for the lighting and the trees, really really nice looking game.
  4. DJ hero2 I'm sure its simpler then I realise but my friends and I were awed but the overall smooth presentation of this game and quite how the developer makes those cross fade and free scratch sections work - amazing stuff.
  5. Red dead redemtion the sunsets, sunrises and thunderstorms!

Best Online Experience

1. Halo reach Love that Firefight
  2. NFS Hot pursuit autolog and cops and robbers
  3. black ops Actually got me playing death match for about 10 hours
  4. Blur Like DJ hero 2, its such a shame if didn't sell

Best Mobile Game

1. Drop7 again, still my most played mobile game
  2. peggle nights
  3. angry birds

Best PC Game

1. Football manager 2010
  2. torchlight only played for the first time this year - can I include it?

Best PS3 Game

I've just listed here the top games I played on the PS3 this year

1. FF13
  2. DJ hero 2
  3. Blur
  4. pixel junk shooter
  5. heavy rain
    Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Halo reach
    2. mass effect 2
    3. red dead redemption
    4. alan wake
    5. NFS hot pursuit

Best Download-only Game
  1. pixel junk shooter

Game of the Year

1. Rock Band 3 Utterly staggering achievement, this. The music game taken to its ultimate conclusion. When I first set up the keyboard the best I could play on the real thing was a bit of Happy Birthday or that french tune. I'm now pretty sure I can perform a passable Lighter Shade of Pale or Blue Monday. Within hours I was feeling more confident about finger spacing, within days I was happy enough to sing and play, within weeks I felt like I was playing by ear - moving my fingers to where I felt they should go. The idea that I haven't even touched Pro Guitar and still this my GOTY is frankly frightening. Coupled with what I consider to be the best track list in the series and a practically perfect interface (I played Band Hero with my sister over Christmas and it felt positvely ancient), I'll be playing this for years. Quite where Harmonix go from here is anyones guess.
  2. Blur Beautiful and brutal, Blur came out of nowhere to dominate my summer. Viewed through a Geometry Wars style neon filter and with one of the best licenced soundtracks I can remember, the style was right up my street. But the racing was sublime; every moment demanded total concentration, a million and one decisions determined the format of each race, and I'd often cross the finish line and discover that I had been holding my breath for the last lap or so. Perhaps the best compliment that can be payed to Blur is that finishing eighth can often feel as exhilarating as finishing first. TROUBLEMAKA-KA-KA-KA!
  3. Bayonetta Never has my opinion of a game changed so quickly. After playing through once, I considered it to be a fun but rather self indulgent adventure. Then I went back and totally fell in love. A rich and complex fighting system that I can never hope to master, each fight feels like a beautifully choreographed dance as you deftly dodge blows and find your opening. Ignore the misguided vehicle sections, the nudge nudge wink wink storyline and the overlong cutscenes and just play and learn one of the most beautifully designed control systems that money can buy.
  4. Heavy Rain Yeah, it's got its detractors, but the wet and cold weekend I spent alone with this curio is one that I won't forget in a hurry. Periods of incredible tension (my personal favourite was the 'finger' bit, where I got so involved I actually hesitated and had to give it a second go) and real feeling that your actions had consequences. I've never gone back to it as it feels like a sin to do anything differently. The story I created was the story I deserved. I get the distinct feeling that this is going to age horribly, and yeah the writing was balls in places, but at the time it blew me away. Someone take this template and run with it please!
  5. Deadly Premonition A work of insane genius, the adventures of Francis York Morgan have kept me away from the considerably higher budget Vanquish and Read Dead which sit neglected on my shelf. Lets be blunt, this game is so cheap that it has a baffling spelling error on the back of the box and the sound levels are so botched that the voices are often drowned out by soundtrack. But what it does have is a fuckton of charm, a genuinely compelling storyline and perhaps the greatest main chracter this generation has seen. Feels like the work of auteur; one man's vision of an open world mystery and is all the better for it. Isn't that right, Zach?

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Child of Eden Simply can't wait for this. A Rez sequel with added pretention and an interpretive dance control scheme. Sign me up!
  2. Portal 2 I'm in a total media blackout over this - the first was a total suprise that I played in one sitting - pretty much a perfect game. Little worried that it will lose some of its sparkle the second time round and I'm not one for co-op truth be told, but I'm hopeful and I'll almost certainly book a day off work to wallow in it on launch!
  3. Uncharted 3 Next chapter in the rip-roaring, thigh slapping adventure. A few more tweaks to the combat system and a confidence to finish a game properly and we may be looking at a 10/10 here. Guaranteed to look absolutely stunning.

Hall of Shame

1. Activision What is the collective noun for money grabbing, souless arseholes? Shutting down Bizarre and robbing the world of more Geometry Wars and Blur is a personal lowlight.
  2. Rock Band 3 Sales Harmonix create the music genres Super Mario 64 and no one gives a shit. Have a word with yourselves.
  3. Kinect More specifically the space needed for it to operate properly. I can happily play four player Rock Band in my living room, but I can't play one player Dance Central without moving all my furniture round. Why when it can't see my foot, does Kinect assume that I don't have one rather than guess based on where it was and where my leg is?

Best Online Experience

1. Blur I'm not the world's biggest online gamer, and even in the world of videogame forums I'm a bit of a social retard, but Blur actually made me join in and have a chat. Some fantastic games with people on here, and some fantastic games with randoms. Just brilliant.

Best Use of Waggle

1. Dance Central Would be higher in my game of the year if it didn't take so much effort to make it playable in my living room, Dance Central is bloody knackering and an absolute hoot. Hardly the party game you might expect it to be, the track list is perfectly pitched and stringing together a sequence of moves is as much an in-the-zone experience as any other you are likely to of had this year

Best NDS Game

1. Picross 3D As acomplished a move from 2D to 3D as any you care to mention, Picross is a total time sink and probably the best puzzle game outside of Tetris.
  2. Starship Patrol Tower defence games are ten a penny these days, but this really stood out. Charming, distinctive and deeply tactical.

Best PS3 Game

1. Rock Band 3 Importing the original has meant that I'm stuck with all my rocking the Playstation. It is going to make it rather tricky to pick up a pro guitar in the months to come, but it'll be worth investment. Astounding game.
  2. Heavy Rain Probably didn't set the world alight like Sony were hoping, but I loved it. Not really a game, not really a film and interactive fiction doesn't really fit either. Unique and rather Marmite-y.
  3. Joe Danger Wrongly judged as Trials-esque by some, Joe Danger has as much in common with a platformer as a stunt racer. Kept me away from Super Mario Galaxy 2 for a while which is quite an achievement. Perhaps let down by a scoring system that is a bit broken, Joe has loads of ideas that it introduces and drops with wild abandon.

Best PSP Game

1. Half Minute Hero Utterly fanatstic idea, padded out with some amusing distractions. The Hero 30 mode is the star of the show; leading, perhaps suprisingly, to some truly epic battles. And the joke never gets old.
  2. Alien Zombie Death Quite why PomPom have tucked this away on PSP Minis is anyones guess, but this deserves a few minutes of anyones attention. A brilliant score attack game.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Blur Buy this you scumbags.
  2. Bayonetta And this.
  3. Deadly Premonition This too. You can probably get it for about a tenner and it's bound to become an ebay darling once word gets out so look at it as an investment
  4. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light Combining twin stick shooting, speed running, score attacking and some spacial puzzling, it got a rather bad rap after they had to patch in the online co-op at a later date. Ingore they who say nay, this is brilliant fun on your own. A suprisingly brilliant leaderboard chaser.
  5. Dance Central Yes sir. I can boogie. All night long.

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 Almost embarrasingly inventive, Galaxy 2's only crime is being fractionally less good than the first, putting it in the same bracket as 99.9% of all other games. I think the loss of the shock of the new is why this doesn't feature higher in my games of the year. It's odd, I can tell it's fantastic but I just can't love it. Saying that, the end game is obviously fantastic and a real test for all us Mari-pros.
  2. Bit Trip Runner I love these games, but this is my favourite. The usual high standards of style are here and the music is utterly superb. Incredibly difficult to turn off, Runner cleverly makes each failed attempt transfer into a new try seemlessly turning one quick go into a fist pumping, teeth gritting two hours.
  3. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories Let down by the awful chase sequences, the best thing I can say about this game is to read as little about it as possible before playing. Suprising, mature and also a bit insulting this is a fine return to form for a series that had lost a little of its way.
  4. Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ignored in the shadow of IV and the forthcoming MvC3, is well worth a look for those looking for an alternative fighter. Great fun, especially in vs.

Best Download-only Game

1. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light Nicely combining everything I love about games (except maybe bright colours and a thumping soundtrack) and wrapping it around a traditional adventure, you'd have paid £40 for this about five years ago. Now you can get it for less than a tenner, delivered. Madness.
  2. Pacman Championship Edition DX I love this type of game - intense, edge of your seat score chasing. Maybe this has too many options, the leaderboards are diluted into too many variations making high score chasing less satisfying, but it is still a fantastic game.
  3. Hydro Thunder Hurricane Feeling like an artifact from fifteen years ago, Hurricane is old school aracde action. If hurtling around corners at ninety degrees in a spaceship whilst a twenty foot bearded viking smashes a hammer in your path sounds like your kind of thing, pick it up. Loads of content too, including the frustratingly compelling ring challenges.
  4. After Burner Climax This is Sega the way we remember it. Playing like some kind of Outrun in the air with guns, it grabs you by balls and doesn't let go for its ten minute duration at which point you stick it back on and have another go.
  5. Limbo Hauntingly beautiful, sadistic and actually really rather funny.

Game of the Year

1. Gran Turismo 5
  2. Dragon Quest IX
  3. Super Street Fighter 4
  4. Bayonetta
  5. Mario Galaxy 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade edition
  2. Street Fighter III: 3rd strike online
  3. Last guardian
  4. Ninokuni

Best Online Experience

1. Super Street Fighter 4

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon Quest IX
  2. Picross 3D
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin DS Youkai Taikessen!!

Best PS3 Game

1. Gran Turismo 5

Best PSP Game

1. Valkyria Chronicles II
  2. Hatsune Miku Project DIVA 2nd
  3. K-On! Houkago Live!!

Best Wii Game

1. Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Afterburner Climax
  2. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
  3. Joe Danger

Game of the Year

1. 1.Bioshock 2 A brilliant sequel, and the most fun I've had with a game this year. Hated the original so this comes as a pretty big surprise. Better combat, less-intrusive narrative and a general sense that the team behind it knew exactly what they were doing.
    2.Mass Efect 2 Despite being bitterly disappointed by the direction Bioware have taken with ME2, I've played it through 3 times this year, already, so it must be doing something right. But it's ironic that by removing all aspects of exploration from the game in order to avoid addressing the issue, it actually creates more problems in the process. I'd expand on this, but I'm pretty sure nobody wants to hear it.
    3.Final Fantasy XIII I don't consider myself a true-blue fan of the series, but despite some very obvious and almost fatal flaws in the overall design, this game houses what's easily the most exciting and innovative RPG combat system in recent memory. It's also a strong contender for best-looking game ever made.
    4.Blazblue: Continuum Shift Forgetting for a moment that this is the second Blazblue to be released this year, Continuum Shift is a remarkable beat em up, and easily the best of 2010. Not the easiest brawler to get into, but that's mostly by virtue of upending a lot of genre conventions and being endlessly innovative.
    5.Super Mario Galaxy 2 Would be higher, except I haven't got round to really giving it my full attention. What little I have played, however, puts every other platformer to shame. If I wasn't so damn lazy and avoided playing anything on my Wii, I might have made progress by now.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. 1.Catherine The Persona team's next game. That's all I need to know.
    2.Mass Effect 3 If Casey Hudson is believed, they're going to revisit exploration for Mass Effect 3. Bodes well for the game, if you ask me.
    3.Yakuza 4 Better be good. 3 was a massive disappointment, one I doubt even the missing content can make up for. All this zombie stuff they're doing with the fifth installment sounds rubbish, but at least they're trying something different.
    4.Last Guardian Except I'm pretty sure this won't make 2011.

Hall of Shame

1. 1.Sega Failing to have the most basic understanding of what makes a good Sonic game, failing to even replicate 2D Sonic without messing things up, Yakuza 3 being neutered to the point where it isn't even as good or content-rich as its PS2 predecessor, and rubbish XBLA/PSN ports (Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi). You taught me everything I know about games, but now I must destroy you.
    2.Activision They almost seem to enjoy being the industry's most hated publisher.

Best Use of Waggle

1. 1.Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Sky - is made for waggle. Accept no substitutes, unless you want to make the game harder for yourself.
    2.Super Mario Galaxy 2 At the very least, using waggle for this game never felt anything less than natural to me.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. 1.Bioshock 2
    2.Mass Effect 2
    3.Blazblue: Continuum Shift
    4 Bayonetta On further reflection, EDGE 10 is at least 1 point too high. It's got a brilliant combat system and it's a real treat to see a female lead portrayed as strong-willed and self-assured, but despite being built for replayability, streamlining the experience to exclude exploration makes it much less memorable than DMC 3.
    5. Halo Reach After nearly a decade of playing Halo, Reach was the first game in the series that felt stale. It didn't come without a whole host of improvements, mind you, but in terms of actual content, it felt more like ODST 2 than Halo 4. I could go on about how using campaign levels as multiplayer maps (or vice versa, as the case may be) is lazy, or how Bungie's irritating and intrusive knack for bad storytelling and characterisation continues unabated, but suffices to say Halo 4 better be awesome, or I'm going to start playing Modern Warfare just to spite 343 industries (shit name, btw).

Best Wii Game

1. 1.Super Mario Galaxy 2
    2.Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Sky - Haven't played the original, but it's pretty much what you've come to expect from Treasure (save for the ucharacteristically less-than evil difficulty). It's pretty much what I'd expect from a modern-day take on Panzer Dragoon, only I doubt even Team Andromeda could manipulate the on-rail shooter genre to such ingenius effect.
    3.Tatsunoko vs Capcom Streamlines the standard Capcom beat em up interface even further, but remains very playable nonetheless. Actually, it's the Tatsunoko characters who make this game worthwhile - I could've happily done without the Capcom roster, since it's the same ol, same ol. Joe the Condor of Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets fame is the single most badass beat em up character in existence.
    4.Sakura Wars: So long my love - Always wanted to play a Sakura Wars/Taisen game. There's a bit too much yakking for my liking, but the combat system is really neat, and the music is pretty swish too.
    5.No More Heroes 2 Like Mass Effect 2, Grasshopper took on board all the criticisms of the original and fixed them for the sequel - and just like Mass Effect 2, the soul of the game got lost, somewhere along the way. Definitely not as good as the original.

EDIT: I'd put real money on that neg coming from a Mass Effect 2 fan. :lol:

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Super Meat Boy
  4. God of War 3
  5. Mass Effect 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. MotorStorm Apocalypse Obviously...
  2. The Last Guardian
  3. Uncharted 3
  4. Deus Ex Human Revolution
  5. Dead Space 2

Hall of Shame

1. Castlevania: Lord of Shadows
  2. Metroid Other M
  3. Sin & Punishment 2
  4. Fallout New Vegas The game was broken upon release! I do love Fallout, I just don't like buying broken games.
  5. Final Fantasy XIII

1. God of War 3
  2. Halo Reach How they manage to have 50+ elites on-screen in firefight and the game not grind to halt astounds me.

Best Online Experience

1. Halo Reach
  2. Battlefield Bad Company 2 For the gameplay only, not the infrastructure
  3. Monday Night Combat
  4. Splinter cell Conviction

Best Use of Waggle

1. JLS

Best NDS Game I didn't play any new DS games this year

Best Mobile Game I don't have a mobile capable of playing games :(

Best PC Game I've given up on PC gaming for the time being.

Best PS3 Game I'm listing exclusives only

1. God of War 3
  2. Joe Danger
  3. Heavy Rain Hugely flawed, but it deserves a lot of credit for what it did get right.

Best PSP Game Didn't play any new PSP games this year

Best Xbox 360 Game I'm listing exclusives only

1. Halo Reach
  2. Mass Effect 2 I know its on PC too, but I'm a console gamer.
  3. Limbo
  4. Alan Wake

Best Wii Game I'm listing exclusives only

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 The only good Wii game I played this year, I missed out on Donkey Kong.

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Limbo
  3. Plants vs Zombies Its the first time I played it because I don't have access to the other platforms, and the 360 version was only out this year.
  4. Pacman Championship Edition DX
  5. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light

Game of the Year

1. Demon's Souls
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Limbo
  4. Apple Jack
  5. Reach

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Dead Space 2
  2. Portal 2
  3. Last Guardian
  4. Batman: Arkham City

Hall of Shame

1. Red Dead RedemptionAn incredibly restrictive game lacking almost anything you could describe as Sandbox. Most of the game is spent watching overly long cutscences with stock Rockstar 'wacky' characters, and traveling via the bland horse riding mechanic. Then the combat which although improved over GTA (just) is still pretty stale.
  2. Heavy RainIts not a good story, but far more importantly, its not a good game.
  3. Halo:ReachIts really not a *bad* game, it just that a few years after Doom we got Goldeneye, and few years after Goldeneye we got Halo. Ten years on from Halo we have what? This?
  4. Mass Effect 2's Story (only)While on its own the overall story and mission stories are fairly good, as the second act of three it is appalling. The move from ME1's 'Save the universe!' to be a 'space social worker!' and the relative reduction of the threat you face, a stumpy alien and a giant man, made me find it crushingly disappointing.
  5. 2010That two of my best games of the year feature in my shame list says it all really.

1. The Kinect

Best Online Experience

1. Battlefield Bad Company 2

Best PC Game

1. Minecraft

Best PS3 Game

1. Demon's Souls

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass effect 2
  2. Limbo
  3. Halo: Reach
  4. Apple Jack

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Apple Jack
  3. Minecraft

Game of the Year

1. Alpha Protocol
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Red Dead Redemption
  4. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
  5. Angry Birds

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Deus Ex 3
  2. Diablo 3
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. Dragon Age 2
  5. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

Hall of Shame

1. Pokemon: HeartGold/SoulSilver
  2. Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising

Best Mobile Game

1. Angry Birds

Best PC Game

1. Alpha Protocol
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
  4. Civilization 5
  5. Minecraft

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  4. Limbo
  5. Alpha Protocol

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Best Online Experience

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Best PC Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  3. Limbo
  4. Alpha Protocol
  5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Amnesia: TDD
  2. Limbo
  3. Super Meat Boy

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 For the fun.
  2. Alan Wake For the atmosphere.
  3. Vanquish For the balls.
  4. Mass Effect 2 For the ambition.
  5. Fifa 11 For the endless multi-player.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. LA Noire For resurrecting the adventure game.
  2. Portal 2 For the comedy.
  3. Zelda Skysword For proving everyone wrong.
  4. Resident Evil 3DS For being Resident Evil 4 in disguise in 3D on a handheld device.

Hall of Shame

1. Microsoft For wasting so much money on something without any new gameplay mechanics to back it up.

1. Red Dead Redemption For the world.
  2. Vanquish For the style.
  3. Mario Galaxy 2 For the solidity.
  4. Assassins Creed Brotherhood For the speed of development and the quality.

Best Online Experience

1. Blur In memoriam.

Game of the Year

1. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories wasn't going to bother voting this year (as I've played little new, apart from GT5 which is very enjoyable so far) but just had to add my little vote to this superb game that has been missed by many. well worth a look.
  2. Gran Turismo 5 I know, I know, it's just Gt again... but so what! :)

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Pilot Wings 3DS
  2. The Last Guardian
  3. Elder Scrolls V

Hall of Shame

1. Langdell and his continuing lawsuit
  2. Activision and their awfullness

Best PS3 Game

1. Gran Turismo 5

Best Wii Game

1. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game of the Year

1. Heavy Rain
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  4. Gran Turismo 5
  5. Need for Speed Hot pursuit

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. The last guardian
  2. Zelda Skyward sword
  3. Motorstorm apocalypse
  4. Uncharted 3
  5. Tomb raider 9

Best PC Game

1. Battlefield bad company 2

Best PS3 Game

1. Heavy Rain
  2. Red dead redemption
  3. Gran turismo 5
  4. Need for speed hot pursuit
  5. Fifa 11

Best Wii Game

1. Super mario galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Lara croft and the guardian of light
  2. After burner climax
  3. Scott Pilgrim

Game of the Year

1. Minecraft
  2. Super Meat Boy
  3. Cave Story Wii

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Metal Gear Solid : Snake Eater 3D
  2. Zelda : Skyward Sword
  3. Zelda : The Ocarina of Time 3D

Hall of Shame

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Crackdown 2
  3. APB

1. Kinect Sports
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. World of Warcraft : Cataclysm

Best Online Experience

1. World of Warcraft : Cataclysm
  2. Star Craft II : Wings of Liberty
  3. Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon Quest : Sentinels of the Starry SKies
  2. Pokémon HeartGold
  3. WarioWare : D.I.Y.

Best Mobile Game

1. Monkey Island 2 : Special Edt.
  2. Bejeweled Blitz
  3. Plants vs Zombies HD

Best PC Game

1. Fallout : New Vegas
  2. World of Warcraft : Cataclysm
  3. Starcraft II : Wings of Liberty

Best PS3 Game

1. Yakuza 3
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Gran Turismo 5

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Halo : Reach
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Deadly Premonition

Best Wii Game

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  2. Sin & Punishment : Star Successor
  3. Goldeneye 007

Best Download-only Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Super Meat Boy
  3. Cave Story Wii

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Just Cause 2
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Prototype 2

Hall of Shame

Best Online Experience

Best Use of Waggle

1. Wii Party

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption

Best Wii Game

1. Wii Party

Best Download-only Game

Game of the Year

1. Rock Band 3 (PS3) Quite simply the ultimate evolution of the band game formula, yet the new additions inject freshness and life into it, as reflected by its soundtrack. It's also so vast and deep that it could take me literally years to get the most out of it, and maybe teach me to play more than one musical instrument in the process.
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) Sublime platforming with a perfect balance of difficulty that only Nintendo seems to know how to master. Every level seems to not only be perfectly tuned but full of new ideas and oozing with character and charm. Its only downside is not being notably improved over the first game (and in some ways marginally worse), but it has nonetheless brought me many hours of joy. A masterpiece of modern games design.
  3. Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (PC) The Game of the Year version was released in 2010 according to Steam, which is the one I played. I was skeptical at first, I admit; the demo seemed fine, but it didn't win me over. Although I loved the setting, the gameplay was overly contextual and simplified. It wasn't until I got into the full game that everything came together. It is astonishingly well-designed, well-produced and continually entertaining in multiple ways, where many games would struggle for just one. The stealth works, the combat works, the set-pieces are inventive, the detective mode and upgrades tingle my Metroid glands, but overall it really does make you feel like the goddamn Batman.
  4. Limbo (360) I suspected this would be more style than substance, but the physics-based puzzles worked almost flawlessly and in very inventive ways, the likes of which I hadn't seen before. So while I was enjoying the head-scratching 'eureka' moments, I was also utterly absorbed by the style and tone of the game, which used subtle storytelling to make you want to piece it together yourself. It has left an imprint on me, and I expect to go back and replay it many times, since it can be cleared in an evening.
  5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP) Another game that took its time in winning me over. It's full of those 'Konami annoyances' that treat the player like a games tester, struggling to understand what's going on before you've even played it, asking technical questions and being a bit of a bitch to control. But then it gradually becomes an utterly compulsive mission game, taking bits from previous Metal Gears and only using what works. It's streamlined and snappy, addictive and insane, and for all my moaning about the MGS series diverging from its 'pure' roots, this would probably still make it into a top spot. The second best MGS game ever, if I'm feeling generous, which I am.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Portal 2 (PC) Somehow, I keep forgetting this is coming out. I'm purposely avoiding as much information as I can about it, to avoid spoilers. I don't often do launch-day purchases, but this will be one of them.
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS) Or anything on the 3DS, really. I'm mad pumped for stereoscopic gaming on a budget.
  3. The Last Guardian (PS3) I'm expecting this to be something special.
  4. Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright (3DS) OMG!
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) Should be the usual quality Zelda fare with a nice bit of swordplay thrown in.

Hall of Shame

1. Activision - STILL the new EA. Or the old EA. Whatever. Greedy and poorly managed, they continue to run franchises and studios into the ground.
  2. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 When fans with no money or access to original source code can come up with faithful recreations of the classic Sonic games, it's inexcusable that the folks at Sega themselves cannot. Sonic 4's physics aren't just un-Sonicy, they're bad, and the game looks and feels cheap.
  3. Last Window: Secret of Cape West (DS) CiNG took an intriguing but flawed adventure game and made a game that was somehow exactly the same but worse, twice as long, but with a boring story in which nothing happens, and then wrote an in-game book of the same story in which nothing still happens. Unfathomably bad.
  4. Rock Band 3's idea of 'updating' old songs is to release them again for full price and not let you delete or hide the original version unless you bought it individually. I hope they work out a better way of doing it in future.
  5. PSN+ automatic updates The idea that a fundamental usability feature that fixes the most annoying aspect of the PS3 (game updates only when you choose to play it) is a PAID FOR service shows how utterly clueless Sony can be when it comes to making people actually want to use their software.

1. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP) Granted, a lot of the cutscenes are pre-rendered, but the in-game stuff is very impressive. Smooth animation, wonderful lighting and effects, massive (looking) environments. No-one gets results out of the PSP like ReadyAtDawn does.
  2. Rage HD (iPod/iPhone) Shows what you can do with the iPhone/iPod hardware with a bit of technical skill. I've only seen videos, mind you. Haven't played it myself.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) Good application of art is just as much a technical achievement as pushing billions of polygons is. Mario Galaxy uses fantastic art and efficient technology to be the nicest looking game of the year, despite the lack of HD shine.
  4. The Rock Band 3 interface I have my issues with it (and it's STILL more fiddly than it ought to be), but the fact that they've made a game interface that can function with multiple players with different controllers and setups and fit everything on screen and still let you do things like join-in part-way through without it throwing a strop at you, is quite impressive.
  5. Just Cause 2 (various) Gigantic environment with awesome draw distance, even when you're miles up in the air. I don't know if that's genuinely impressive, but it looks it.

Best Online Experience

Best Use of Waggle

1. Rock Band 3, and by extension, Green Day Rock Band (and Guitar Hero Whatever It Was This Year). Tilting the guitar upright to activate 'overdrive' is both awesome and unintrusive. Best use of 2010 motion control that I've played.
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 People often say the Mario Galaxy games would be fine without the little flicks and pointing at things, and while I agree that they'd be largely just as good (for most of the levels), I've never found them distracting or offputting. In fact, in the absence of another reachable button on the Wii remote, the little flick of the wrist to spin is ideal.
  3. Mirror's Edge (iOS) It's the only other 2010 game I've played that has motion control. You tilt the device to help you slide down ropes or balance on beams. It's bloody terrible.

Best NDS Game

1. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future Best cinematics, best story, best puzzles. It's not lightyears ahead of the other two Layton games, but it's enough to pip it. The ending is genuinely moving.
  2. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth I don't really understand why this game gets a lot of flack. For my money, it's a very good version of Ace Attorney, just with a change of viewpoint. The new logic and and examine tools make the game a bit more than just going through a series of menus looking for the right option. Admittedly it does lose the drama of the courtroom setting, but I hope a future game incorporates some of its ideas. The series is in need of some big changes.
  3. Rock Band 3 It's thankfully more like the PSP's Rock Band Unplugged, and less like the DS's Lego Rock Band. You can see more than one track at a time, which is essential for score chaining, and it's gone back to using phrases rather than those silly purple blocks. The song selection is fine, and it's a fun game, if a little ropey visually. Some of the song cuts are annoying, though.
  4. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West It's a dull game, as mentioned above, but as it's the only other 2010 DS game that I've played, it gets the number 4 spot by default. Boo.

Best Mobile Game

1. Mirror's Edge It's the only 2010 game I've played on my Mobile Device Of Choice, so I guess that makes it the best one too. It's... alright. A bit fiddly at times, but it looks nice.

Best PC Game

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition Reasons already stated above.
  2. Doctor Who: The Adventure Games (PC) They're bloody awful, but it makes the number 2 spot by default. Stupid defaults! The PC is the platform for timeless games and ridiculous Steam sales; it is not well-served by lists like this!

Best PS3 Game

1. Rock Band 3 Already made my overall top spot, and this is the version I own. So here it is, in this list too. Ta-da!
  2. Green Day Rock Band Default second place. Haven't played any other 2010 games on the system.

Best PSP Game

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Reasons already stated above. A damn fine game, regardless of format. They should release it for other platforms so more people can play it.
  2. God of War: Ghost of Sparta A visually impressive game, made to the same template as every other God of War. A mix of mediocre platforming, puzzles and combat that fails to be more than the sum of its parts; yet the presentation and constantly forward-pushing level design make it an easy-to-digest nugget of fun. And it's lovely and brutal too. And it has boobz!!1

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Rock Band 3 Already made my overall top-spot. This isn't the version I own, but I have played it, and it's better than anything else I have played on the format in 2010, so it wins, again.
  2. Limbo Reasons stated above. Brilliant game, lovely and atmospheric and I was even compelled to play through it twice, which I rarely do.
  3. Perfect Dark I haven't put as much time into the XBLA re-release as I'd have liked, but it's not aged as badly as I feared. Despite some twitchiness, it controls well enough and the spruced up graphics are welcome. If I still had a Live sub, I'd probably be playing it online.

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 Reasons already stated above. It's also the only 2010 game I've played on the Wii this year, but it would comfortably make the top spot regardless.

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo (360) Reasons already stated.
  2. Perfect Dark (360) Reasons already stated.
  3. Mirror's Edge (iOS) Already mentioned it.
  4. Doctor Who: The Adventure Games (PC) Scraping the barrel now. Rubbish game makes it into two lists. Sigh.

Edited by Sprite Machine

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2 This blew me - and so many others - away on release, almost a year ago, and I was pretty certain nothing would displace it from its lofty heights as one of my favourite games ever. It may have slipped a bit, though, had it not been for the extra content released for it and the amazing longevity of... well, let's call it the Mass Effect community. We kept talking about this game all year, and Bioware's DLC offerings have been excellent. Cannot wait for ME3. Cannot. Wait.
  2. Napoleon: Total War I'm not one of those who took personal offence at Empire: Total War, and I certainly can't complain about it since I got so much bloody gaming out of it, but I recognised that there was missed potential there nonetheless. Napoleon, which started out as an expansion pack and morphed into a standalone game with just as much if not more content than any previous Total War game, is the pinnacle of the Total War series so far, and basically shako porn. Just watching the screen shake as cannonballs plough through earth and smoke and fleshy ranks of men alike is awe-inspiring. So much to do, so much detail. So much fun. And, in what seems to be a running theme in my games of the year, excellent post-release support in the form of DLC and patches.
  3. Alpha Protocol Rough around the edges but oh-so-much character. More choice and consequence than any other RPG I've ever played, and with a truly compelling plot and superb writing. The conversations have real urgency since you only have a limited time to pick the next response, and the shoddy combat isn't really a worry if you play it like a stealthy pistols-and-martial-arts superspy. Great replayability, too.
  4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Not quite the glorious return of Battlefield 2 like I was hoping, but still an excellent game that provided me with a solid month or two of online squad shooting. The Vietnam expansion DLC seems pretty great too.
  5. Mafia 2 A game affected by the scourge of cut content, much like Alpha Protocol, but like AP it manages to rise above that anyway. A stunningly realised 1940s-50s city, an engaging storyline, and some of the weightiest and most satisfying guns I've seen in a game. Often inappropriately compared to GTA, this isn't an open-world game - it's a linear, story-driven game that uses a living world to give the missions more context. I should also say that I almost put Fallout: New Vegas here - it deserves it too, but I wanted a bit more variety in my choices.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 Yep.
  2. Red Orchestra 2 It's going to out-Battlefield the Battlefield series in every way and BF3 will have to be fucking spectacular to beat it. Tripwire are putting so much love into this game that it's unreal.
  3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution High hopes for this. Everything I read about it sounds like the developers just get it.
  4. The Witcher 2 What can I say, I'm a sucker for RPGs.
  5. Portal 2 I haven't been keeping an eye on this game at all but I'm sure it'll end up being great. It's Valve, after all.

Hall of Shame

1. Activision bandwagoooooon
  2. Just Add Water The complete travesty that is the Oddboxx. Unforgivably bad porting and atrocious public relations in the aftermath.
  3. Rock, Paper, Shotgun A once-great website, but has lost me in the past few months. Has somehow become even more pretentious with the departure of Kieron Gillen, and the inexplicable obsession with pseud-jizz like One Chance and other 'arty' indie flash games is now just cringeworthy. And John Walker played his DS during the conversations in Mass Effect 2 despite his oft-proclaimed love of story and dialogue in games. That's like being a member of the National Front or something. You can't let that slide.
  4. Company of Heroes Online Making one of the best RTS games ever free to play? Great! Neutering it and completely unbalancing it with unlocks and levels and hero units and abilities for high-level players? SHIT

1. Bad Company 2 The Frostbite engine and its destructible terrain.
  2. Mafia 2 For services to atmosphere. Snow sliding off cars, skyscrapers blocking falling rain, clothes getting dirty. Lots of tiny little details that help to make the world more real. Is that technical? Maybe. It's really damn pretty, too.
  3. Metro 2033 My God, so pretty. And it loads so quickly, probably by means of witchcraft. Don't trust those Russians. Don't trust them.
  4. Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood Those cities aren't getting any less impressive.

Best Online Experience

1. Men of War STILL amazing. The addition of the Japanese forces led to so much evil kamikaze hilarity, as I hid men in bushes clutching anti-tank mines and then ran out to blow up tanks as they crawled past.
  2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Doesn't need much explanation.
  3. Napoleon: Total War Multiplayer campaigns! So much fun. If you've never ordered your bashi-bazouks to engage dromedary cavalry in melee while shitty peasant levies swarm over artillery positions and your opponent wails on voice chat, you're missing out.
  4. Mount & Blade: Warband 222-player castle sieges. With kettle hats.
  5. Team Fortress 2 Valve's commitment to this game is seriously impressive. Constant expansion and reinvention ever since 2007.

Best PC Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Napoleon: Total War
  3. Fallout: New Vegas This makes it on because it's measurably better than the console versions, unlike AP and Mafia 2. And Mass Effect 2, but I can't leave ME2 off a list like this.
  4. Mount & Blade: Warband Husband-and-wife indie success story. With kettle hats.
  5. Minecraft A late entry, since I played it for the first time last week, but my God. It's like computer Lego.

Best Download-only Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent I've yet to play most of it but I really liked what I've played so far. Terrifying.
  3. Fate of the World Climate change 'em up. I beat it for the first time two nights ago, and that's 'beat' for a given value of 'worldwide famine and Amazonian collapse', even though I managed to get emissions under control. Utterly compelling and depressing.

Game of the Year

1. Zettai Hero Project : Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman- I only got this in December, I've already notched up 30+ hours and I'm about to start a 2nd cycle, the more I play the better it gets.
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Yakuza 3
  4. Heavy Rain
  5. Disgaea 2 : Dark Hero Days

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Disgaea 4
  2. Little Big Planet 2
  3. Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD
  4. The Last Guardian
  5. Portal 2

Hall of Shame

1. DS- For something that's meant to be so much more popular than the PSP, I'm finding that there's bugger all on it in comparisson.
  2. Whoever decided to make ZHP download only then sneak it out without telling anyone.
  3. Sonys promoting of PSN games- related to above, discovering what's out seems to be left to chance.
  4. Playtime Multimedia- WHY HAVE YOU TURNED SO CRAP.

1. Red Dead Redemption- For the amazing achievement of making me notice some in game music (though it took until Mexico to manage it) .
  2. Joe Danger- It took fewer people to make this than it does to apply my truss in a morning.

Best NDS Game

1. Professor Layton and the Lost Future
  2. Infinite Space

Best PC Game

1. Blood Bowl : Legendary Edition

Best PS3 Game

1. Yakuza 3
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. Joe Danger
  4. Demon's Souls

Best PSP Game

1. Zettai Hero Project : Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman
  2. Disgaea 2 : Dark Hero Days
  3. Valkyria Chronicles 2
  4. Half Minute Hero
  5. Patchwork Heroes- The PSP's word of the year seems to be "hero".

Best Download-only Game

1. Zettai Hero Project : Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman
  2. Joe Danger

3. Patchwork Heroes
  4. Disgaea Infinite

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2 - Completed it twice now, put in about 50hrs all told. Loved every minute.
  2. Rockband 3 - Spent many a happy Friday night after work getting drunk and jamming
  3. Alpha Protocol - Only a small way in, but it's nicely filling the gaping void left after finishing ME2
  4. Carcassonne - Great hot-seat game to while away those cold winter nights
  5. Zuma Blitz - The best Facebook game. Has that "in the zone" feeling you get from the best twitch puzzle games. Social elements very nicely worked in

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 - duh
  2. Nintendo 3DS - will be interesting to see the tussle between this and the iPad for best couch gaming device
  3. The Last Guardian - Could be the game to finally persuade me to buy a PS3
  4. Dragon Age 2 - Mass Effect 2 has turned me in to a raving bioware fanboy, excited to see if this can be the equivalent of ME2 v ME1
  5. Dead Space 2 - Am a bit underwhelmed by the trailers, but Multiplayer sounds similar to L4D, so could be pretty special

Hall of Shame

1. Zynga - Single-handedly dragging casual gaming in to a dark age of spam and mediocrity
  2. Nintendo Wii - Not switched mine on for years now, depressing seeing the amount of crap Wii titles in the top selling games lists
  3. Bobby Kotick - for services to cockery
  4. Tim Langdell - ditto

1. iPad
  2. Infinity Blade

Best Online Experience

1. Halo:Reach

Best Use of Waggle

1. That JLS advert

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

1. Carcassonne
  2. World of Goo
  3. Game Dev Story
  4. Undercroft

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Rockband 3
  3. Alpha Protocol

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

I really haven't had a very gamey year...

Game of the Year

2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Minecraft

Hall of Shame

1. Ruffian Games APB: poorly executed, over budget, studio-killing disappointment. Crackdown 2: Perfunctory texture pack of the legendary first game. Am cry.

1. Kinect
  2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Best Online Experience

Best Mobile Game

1. Angry Birds
  2. Fruit Ninja

Best Xbox 360 Game

2. Red Dead Redemption

Best Download-only Game