IGNORED

Shenmue 2

fobar

:):lol:

you must be mad. Stop posting and start buying.

Shenmue 2 is an exellent game.

I completed it before shenmue 1, had i played SM1 before i probably wouldnt have bothered with 2. but i appreciated 1 more after doing 2, you wont miss out on the story either as its mostly explained in the movie and its a very simple story, sm2 is where it gets good.

SM2 is superior in every way, it is legendary. They never had or never will make a game like shenmue series. Play it, youll love it!

shenmue 2 is one of the most absolutely fantastic games ever. don't worry TOO much if you haven't played shenmue (although its well worth it), cos you get a little video recap type thing of the story so far with shenmue 2.

napole0n says the xbox voice acting is crap, but its fine on the DC. or at least, its fine if like me you don't speak japanese or chinese or whatever they are speaking, i can't remember.

great great great game.

Never played the original but Shenmue 2 is going cheap . Also  just finished kotor (which I loved ) and am now in the mood  form some thing similar .

I see.

I'm a paid up Shenmue fanboy and, as such, my opinion counts for shit, but Shenmue is genuinely great. I'd take Shenmue II over the original simply because there's so much more to do; more characters to meet, more locations to visit and more arse to kick.

Man, I'd love to go back and experience Shenmue afresh. You're in for a treat. :lol:

There is, however, nothing worse than buying a great big game like Shenmue II and leaving it half finished for like, your entire life.

I think I got literally half way through it before university took it's toll on my free time :lol:

Hard to get into, but an excellent game so far.

I phsyically hated Shenmue 2. Hated it. Hated it. Hated it.

I loved Shenmue though - but 2 got rid of everything I liked. I enjoyed waiting for buses. It felt original and fun. But in 2 you just click "Wait". And the job in the first one compared to the crappy excuses for mini-games thats in the second one...

And don't even get me started on those bloody planks.

Buy a Dreamcast and Shenmue 1. I wouldn't bother with 2 though...

I loved Shenmue though - but 2 got rid of everything I liked. I enjoyed waiting for buses. It felt original and fun. But in 2 you just click "Wait".

Erm, you didn't have to click "wait" you know. You could click "cancel" and go about your day until the time came just like in Shenmue. Surely you knew this?

Yes. Go out and buy it, then hunt around for the original. Truly, a most spectacular of experiences. I only wish I could do it all again without knowing what happens. It's my most favourite game of all time, and hopefully, you'll see why.

This post is sponsored by emjay2kay's soul, a subsidiary of Sega AM2 LTD

I phsyically hated Shenmue 2. Hated it. Hated it. Hated it.

I loved Shenmue though - but 2 got rid of everything I liked. I enjoyed waiting for buses. It felt original and fun. But in 2 you just click "Wait". And the job in the first one compared to the crappy excuses for mini-games thats in the second one...

And don't even get me started on those bloody planks.

Buy a Dreamcast and Shenmue 1. I wouldn't bother with 2 though...

I am shocked by just how wrong you are.

So what's the deal with the plank section? I've heard it's really annoying, how bad is it?

Not annoying at all. It's a question of patience and reaction, just like many elements of Shenmue and it's sequel. It's just a QTE event set on crossing some planks. You get the combination of commands wrong or at the wrong time, and you fall off.

So what's the deal with the plank section? I've heard it's really annoying, how bad is it?

It's not so bad really. it depends what your opinion is on using the quick save function. I saved after every floor, so that if I did fall down, I didn't have a huge load to go through. If that's not your thing, then I can see how doing 20 planks in one session would get most frustrating.

The planks is where I gave up on Shenmue 2, once I'd completed that section I just saved and haven't gone back since, its very inclusion was enough to actually put me off completely what is still one of my favourite game series ever. I think this is a fair indication of how bad I think this section is. However, if you want to avoid such frustration you could just get a guide off Gamefaqs which will tell you in advance which direction you have to push - but don't read it for any other parts of the game.

In addition to this, I have to say that I also prefer Shenmue 1, though I can see how Shenmue 2 is better, I just prefer the small town feel of the original, where everyone knows everybody else, I found Shenmue 2 a bit too sprawling and therefore a bit more cold. Bizaarely I also quite liked the English voice acting in Shenmue 1 which is missing in the DC version of Shenmue 2, yes I know that its cheesey, but once again I believe it aides the imersion into the game as up to this point all games I'd played would have subtitles somewhere with maybe a little voice acting, Shenmue was all spoken. Switching to Japanese and subtitles in 2 made me think it was a backwards step to the reading of text days. Also I don't get the 'well Japanese makes it more authentic' arguement - they are in Hong Kong after all.

Just as a final note, I starting playing through the original Shenmue again yesterday (2 years after first completing it), and by the accidental chance that the start date in Shenmue matched the actual date on the calendar (albeit 17 years on) I have decided to try and match my real-time days to days in the game - I wonder how long I will be able to stick at this without being tempted to do an extra day or so in game.

E-X

The whole thing is about exploration. And it really does make you feel great when finding new stuff out. You can always find something new each time you play.

Collect those moves. Or toys. Or food. Or minigames. All great.

And if you ever find the move 'Monkey Roll Drop' (or whatever it was called, it had monkey in the title anyway), you will be gobsmacked by it's utter greatness. Oh yeah.

The planks is where I gave up on Shenmue 2, once I'd completed that section I just saved and haven't gone back since..

The best gaming experience I've ever had is just around to corner from then!

I thought that was on the third disc, when you're going through the last building...fantaaaaaastic!

The planks is where I gave up on Shenmue 2, once I'd completed that section I just saved and haven't gone back since..

The best gaming experience I've ever had is just around to corner from then!

I thought that was on the third disc, when you're going through the last building...fantaaaaaastic!

Heh, yes it is. I'm a bit vague on the different discs these days as the last time I played it was via the Xbox version, which was all on one disc.

Seriously fantastic gaming though.