IGNORED

Shenmue 2

fobar

Can someone clarify whether Don Niu was a man in the Japanese version? She (if she was always a she) never looked too feminine...

It wasn't Don Niu - that was the big fat guy - but yes, in the Japanese version, the character you refer to was in fact a man with a penchant for ladies clothing, or so the story goes.

What was 'her' name again? Huan, or something?

That cut scene after you kicked 'her' ass was a great laugh. Another classy Ren moment. The scaling of the Yellow Head building is probably my favorite game sequence of all time.

Started playing again last night on the Xbox, the voiceovers arent that bad imo

Played to the point where you get your bag back and im in love with it all again

Damn this thread making me play it again, this means all the new games are not going to get a look in.

The only voice i dont like is Joy's. In the DC version its so sexy and powerful but also cute at the same time. On the xbox sounds like some ugly bint with big gold earings whos got 5 kids and needs to pick up her welfare cheque. Very disappointed :) I loved joy, she was great.

The first Shenmue is, and will always be, one of my absolute favourite games. Shenmue II is good, but it just fails to capture the atmosphere of the original - The first game is an experience, and you really feel a part of the town you're existing in. Shops close in the evening, people on the street become scarce as the night draws in. I also think the other main characters are inferior in the second game. Some of the things that made Shenmue so great were forgotten in the sequel - I put that down to the game being overly ambitious.

Shenmue - Brilliant

Shenmue II - A noble, ambitious disappointment.

• 4 years later...
The first Shenmue is, and will always be, one of my absolute favourite games. Shenmue II is good, but it just fails to capture the atmosphere of the original - The first game is an experience, and you really feel a part of the town you're existing in. Shops close in the evening, people on the street become scarce as the night draws in. I also think the other main characters are inferior in the second game. Some of the things that made Shenmue so great were forgotten in the sequel - I put that down to the game being overly ambitious.

Shenmue - Brilliant

Shenmue II - A noble, ambitious disappointment.

2 was far, far superior to 1.

1 was an overblown pile of shit.

2 got a lot of love from me.

Just to ask, I know the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 was dubbed into English, rather than being subtitled like the Japanese version. My questions are, was it dubbed by the same people that did Shenmue 1 (i.e. does it sound like scraping nails on a blackboard) and does it work on 360?

It's got Shenmue 1 voices. Avoid like the plague.

I thought you can turn the voices off though? It's def the better version of the 2 because it runs so much more smoothly. And Shenmue 1 should not be avoided. Yes 2 is better but 1 is the beginning and it's worth playing just to experience what Sega had in mind for the series as it progresses.

The voices may be a little bad, but they add a lot of charm to the game.

Completely agreed. In fact, I know several people that actually prefer the shit-but-amazingly-cute voice acting as it's more 'Shenmue' to them. Count me in on that!

God no. In a world post-KOTOR I can never enjoy Shenmue again. If a non-gamer heard me playing it, I'd be really ashamed, shallow though that may seem. It's really the worst dub of anything I've ever heard, and I've been an anime fan all my life.

I've no intention... of telling you!

I'm sorry, I'm... too-tired... now.

HIGH PITCHED EAR PIERCING NOISE (every kid in the game)

Stereotypical badly acted Jamaican accent

For the last time.. Where... isthemirror?

Honestly. Beneath it was, no doubt, a tremendous game. I played it through on the Dreamcast. However, the voices were just shit.

No, they really don't.

I half agree and half disagree. Some of the acting whilst not good feels like it suits the game. Like a badly dubbed hong kong flick. It also gives characters like Lan Di that extra big of character. However with Shenmue 2, play it on the dreamcast first and then the xbox. Joy has such a powerful voice, you really feel that she owns that town in the DC version. In the Xbox one she sounds like a dumb blond. Ren is similar, in that his japanese voice acting makes him feel so much more powerful. However they often talk when you should be watching the action, meaing you can miss out on some awesome moments.

If a non-gamer heard me playing it, I'd be really ashamed, shallow though that may seem.

That's funny.

Playing through Shenmue II on the DC at uni was one of the games that sold gaming to my housemates. They were transfixed.

Just to ask, I know the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 was dubbed into English, rather than being subtitled like the Japanese version. My questions are, was it dubbed by the same people that did Shenmue 1 (i.e. does it sound like scraping nails on a blackboard) and does it work on 360?

But yes, and yes.

Like a badly dubbed hong kong flick.

You really think Shenmue sounded like that? I'd have to disagree. I've seen plenty of films that qualify in this category, and Shenmue didn't sound like that to me at all - it just sounded like shit.

You really think Shenmue sounded like that? I'd have to disagree. I've seen plenty of films that qualify in this category, and Shenmue didn't sound like that to me at all - it just sounded like shit.

I don't think it sounded like one, but it had the charm of one i think.