IGNORED

RLG SC2 Open Season 2

ravnaz

I think it's my main problem, I can either run an attack or drone up. I can't do both and I always choose to drone. Didn't work out so well games 2 and 3 :(

I don't think it would have been a problem against me, even with the way you played 'droning up', the armies you had would have made mincemeat of me if you'd attacked sooner! Thankfully you gave me time to build up my armies, you have shown me what my weakness is though! I don't drone up fast enough, far from it.

Also, how come you don't use hotkeys on your buildings? Not that it mattered as your APM was always well above mine, but it might make things even faster for you!

I don't think it would have been a problem against me, even with the way you played 'droning up', the armies you had would have made mincemeat of me if you'd attacked sooner! Thankfully you gave me time to build up my armies, you have shown me what my weakness is though! I don't drone up fast enough, far from it.

Also, how come you don't use hotkeys on your buildings? Not that it mattered as your APM was always well above mine, but it might make things even faster for you!

You know I should do, I always hotkey my first hatch but then once things start moving I forget and just start clicking like a mad man. I don't play very often though, I guess it's something I should work on if I begin to play more regularly.

GG, snowbind. Cheers for the games.

Liked the build order in the 1st game, you were just unlucky it got seen by the overlord. Even so it was a good frontal harrass with the hellions to draw my queens away from the main mineral line.

Wasn't so keen on the BO in the second game. The thor was caught out of position but even if it hadn't been you didn't have enough marines (or better still, hellions) with it to fight off a mass zergling attack (and SCVs wouldn't help much now that the patch has given repairing SCVs attack priority), and at that early stage in the game that's almost certainly the army a zerg player will have.

I have most trouble with thors when they're backed up by a reasonable MM/Hellion ball or when they're massed at max supply

You know I should do, I always hotkey my first hatch but then once things start moving I forget and just start clicking like a mad man. I don't play very often though, I guess it's something I should work on if I begin to play more regularly.

The way I do it is to put my first hatch on 1 once everything is in motion, and then each time I start spawning a new hatch I shift-1 to add it to the group. Only problem with that is that if you cancel the building you have a drone in the hatchery control group until you clear it out. Does anyone know a quick way to drop one unit from a group?

GG, snowbind. Cheers for the games.

Liked the build order in the 1st game, you were just unlucky it got seen by the overlord. Even so it was a good frontal harrass with the hellions to draw my queens away from the main mineral line.

Wasn't so keen on the BO in the second game. The thor was caught out of position but even if it hadn't been you didn't have enough marines (or better still, hellions) with it to fight off a mass zergling attack (and SCVs wouldn't help much now that the patch has given repairing SCVs attack priority), and at that early stage in the game that's almost certainly the army a zerg player will have.

I have most trouble with thors when they're backed up by a reasonable MM/Hellion ball or when they're massed at max supply

:) Thanks

I have only just started playing again this week, since the other tournament, so they have been the two B.O's I have been working on mostly. Tbh the second was pretty wank. It works a hell of a lot better against Terran and punching through their wall, but yeah, I think the patch will kill off any advantage that has, regarding workers.

Tbh, I knew I didn't have much of a chance, Zerg is my worse match up and you came second in the first tourny, so I thought what the hell. Still working on getting my apm up to speed. My grid view hot keying is coming back, slowly, but I still find myself clicking on random shit.

I do love that double starport opening though :wub:

Annoying as I had seen your spire and threw down 2 more rax. Really should have chuck down an engineering bay and a couple of turret.

Still we play and learn.

The way I do it is to put my first hatch on 1 once everything is in motion, and then each time I start spawning a new hatch I shift-1 to add it to the group. Only problem with that is that if you cancel the building you have a drone in the hatchery control group until you clear it out. Does anyone know a quick way to drop one unit from a group?

Would it work similar to selecting files in Windows Explorer? I'm thinking press 1 to select the group then hold shift and click on the unit you want to deselect. If it does deselect then you could just re-hotkey. That's just a guess though!

Would it work similar to selecting files in Windows Explorer? I'm thinking press 1 to select the group then hold shift and click on the unit you want to deselect. If it does deselect then you could just re-hotkey. That's just a guess though!

Ah yes, that does work. I think ideally it would be achieved using the icons rather than onscreen though, so I'm hoping it can be done that way.

By the way, I'll probably be online occasionally on weekends from now if anyone wants to do friendlies. I need practice badly.

Yeah you can click on the wireframe icons at the bottom to do this too. This can be used to do quite a few useful things e.g.:

-On a newly set up base send x workers to gas, deselect 3 by clicking on three icons wireframe, then send the rest to your other gas then deselect 3 workers and send the rest to mine minerals.

-Send a pile of units to a watch tower, deselect 1 and then send them to the other watch tower, then deselect one and then send them home again (so just 1 ends up on each watch tower)

Just done it, all the results for the first round are in. RO8 matches and the losers bracket first round are all available here.

Thanks guys for helping out here. Much appreciated!!!

To offer some more description on my game versus flip:

Flip, you did very well and played better than I expected. From viewing your profile, in particular the fact that you weren't even ranked, I, wrongly, expected the match to be easy. A mistake I won't make with you or anyone else again.

Both of us managed to have an army ready in similar amounts of time(s). For example, we'd have a massive ruck, and both come back fighting with an evenly matched army both at once.

That's my take on it anyway.

Anyone else care to comment on our match? Anything stood out about either of us?

(just seen the brackets).. looks like it could be a rematch depending how things go ;-)

Your matches wetlre great rav and flip. There were a few minor points in both games where it could have gone either way. I think in te 2nd game the main reason flip lost was the fact he wasn't rallying units to his army and wasn't hotkeying his army so you very rarely fought his whole army as it seemed he was relying on highlighting all units. In one of your key engagements he actually has about 5 immortals idling at the foot of his ramp and 4 in his base just chilling.

I might do a YouTube vid of my games to show what my thought processes were throughout the game aside from holy cow that's a lot of units. I know I was just completely outplayed. The bit I'm most annoyed about is I'd have at least won the second one if I'd waited and chronoed out 2 zealots giving me 5 instead of just 3. I think my pressure hurt me more than him though as I forgot my macro so got late gases. Late cyber. Late stargate. Basically I had a gameplan and then panicked and forgot it lol.

I think I might do a YouTube vid of my games to

Oh yeah. Sorry posting from my phone and just noticed I hadn't wrote anything about your play when I thought I had. Your macro was superb as was your unit composition and upgrading.

You were making units while attacking, expanding behind pressure, had very nice tank spread and were making te right units to counter your opponent. Was very well played IMO.

Oh yeah. Sorry posting from my phone and just noticed I hadn't wrote anything about your play when I thought I had. Your macro was superb as was your unit composition and upgrading.

You were making units while attacking, expanding behind pressure, had very nice tank spread and were making te right units to counter your opponent. Was very well played IMO.

(wipes sweat from head)

My worst fear is not improving... or worse going backwards... very pleased with that, thanks :-)