IGNORED

Rift

Scruff

So the beta 'events' are up to #4 now (starting at 6pm GMT till the same time Monday) and they're introducing their Warfronts, which are basically PvP battlefields. Anyone else playing the betas or planning on playing the game when it launches in March? The developers are surprisingly listening to a lot of beta feedback from players and making changes, which is always nice to see compared to the stonewall silence that most companies employ and it's shaping up nicely; excluding the horrid linear questing atm.

I'm still totally confused about what souls to take though :(

Yeah I've been playing since beta #1 and it's pretty much identical to Warhammer online, same engine, same classes, same effects, same text. Having so many classes and builds for each class in WAR made it pretty much impossible to balance and this game has even more builds, fucking clown shoes.

Pretty much the most pointless MMO of the year I reckon, I like Warhammer but do we really need two versions of the game?

All Devs see these days is $ in MMOs that just don't exist, they pump out any old shit that just isn't good enough and fall on their arses, I'd be surprised to see this game make it to the end of the year.

Yeah I've been playing since beta #1 and it's pretty much identical to Warhammer online, same engine, same classes, same effects, same text.

Pretty much the most pointless MMO of the year I reckon, I like Warhammer but do we really need two versions of the game?

I dunno, the spread of the souls means that there is the potential for much more varied playstyles than WAR offered; never saw a perfectly viable (in fact best one going by all accounts) rogue tank in Warhammer.

It does seem to lack an identity of its own though, you're spot on about that.

Things are really bleak in MMO land for me atm. All the games I like have one mahoosive flaw that stops me playing them continuously :(

The problems is with the souls thing is you get people min-maxing, so everyone who wants to be a Justicar is going for calabalist as secondary soul as it increase life damage and AOE even though the game says Shaman/druid are the best fits. And it's because of this min-maxing that people are ending up with what is essentially the classes from WAR.

The whole Justicar/Cabalist thing is pretty much identical the the melee Warrior Priest, you look at the class forums and look at the builds there and you see for mages people are making Elementalist crit builds which is the same as a Bright Wizard, of course you don't have to go down these paths but then you're just gimping yourself. As it stands though you don't need anything other than a group full of Clerics, they Tank, DPS and heal and can kick the arse of any other class in PVP.

I do like how they've done the whole 3 classes mashed together thing but in practical terms it just doesn't work because people will always pick the best of the bunch and everyone ends up the same. this is why predefined classes are often a better way to go.

I saw exactly the same problem in SWG years ago, one particular build would win hands down for a couple of months, SOE would patch and nerf said build and everyone would respec to the new super FOTM build that was OP, rinse and repeat.

I've found the beta to be excellent so far. The game doesn't offer any revolutions, but it takes some of the most interesting concepts from past MMOs and improves upon them. Some of the stuff it's doing with the rifts and dynamic PvE content is interesting. It's also extremely well polished. Contrary to drthvder I've found many of the class combinations to be well balanced whilst also offering a great deal of customisation. Min/maxing is a part of all MMOs, it's why the majority of WoW players opt for the same specs, or why everyone in EVE owns a dramiel. There's always one spec or item that's better then the rest, it's unavoidable if you want to offer any kind of choice to the player.

I think the extremely solid gameplay combined with the hype it's currently generating in the MMO market, RIFT could be a bit of a hit. Whether I'll play it or not is another matter. :P

The dynamic public quest is a much better version of what they did in WAR, it was an excellent idea what Mythic came up with but the execution and static nature of them meant they were empty weeks after people left the area. The Dynamic version they have in Rift is definitely a step in the right direction on how to progress with PQs, but this just leads back to my original comment.

This game is Warhammer Online with a couple of tweeks, I'm not saying it has similarities, I'm saying this is Warhammer online with a different name, it is pretty much exactly the same thing.

1byj_6ca_u8yaw.jpg

altheaf004tf5.jpg

1byj_466_u8yaw.jpg

Empire-WPinContestedAltdorf.jpg

The similarities are there, though Warhammer Online had the potential to be an excellent game bar a few terrible design decisions. Even with those poor decisions existing at its core, Warhammer has grown into quite an enjoyable experience. RIFT runs on the same engine with a lot of the same design principles, but so far seems to carry none of the negatives (as noted above, the developer doesn't completely ignore its playerbase for a start). It's Warhammer Online done right, essentially, and is a rather tantalising prospect as a result.

It's not perfect, but no MMO is.

The similarities are there, though Warhammer Online had the potential to be an excellent game bar a few terrible design decisions. Even with those poor decisions existing at its core, Warhammer has grown into quite an enjoyable experience. RIFT runs on the same engine with a lot of the same design principles, but so far seems to carry none of the negatives (as noted above, the developer doesn't completely ignore its playerbase for a start). It's Warhammer Online done right, essentially, and is a rather tantalising prospect as a result.

It's not perfect, but no MMO is.

Yeah, I'm actually enjoying Rift a great deal. Although drth is right and as you pointed out, there will always be people who cookie cutter it, I've been having fun trying out some bizzare combinations. Some work, others don't but for every Marksman/Riftstalker/Sabatour, there will be a Riftstalker/Blade Dancer/Nightblade for instance. It does give a good stroke of builds that you can try as hard or as little with and the choice is a good thing.

I've pre-ordered and about the only thing I have a bit of an issue with (Rogue damage and energy use) is already being tweaked as noted by the lead dev for beta5.

E2A: if those are pictures of you in Rift drth, I can only say one thing: Guardian scum!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Curse is also giving away some beta keys today and I have managed to nab one..looking forward to checking this game out..has anyone noticed any issues with the graphics side of it?

Not really any issues at all. Since beta 1, they're really made an effort to bring the fps/effects up for each successive beta event and the next one, number 5, will have AA in for the first time too. I also believe that the latest drivers have sli/xfire profiles set up for the game.

It's a very scalable engine so have a good tweak around and you shouldn't have a problem getting some good visuals.

PS. see if you can drag some mukkers over Jem ;)

So what server are you guys playing on? Been playing beta since yesterday, it's suprisingly VERY good.

Most of my characters are Defiant on blightweald, but I did make a couple of low level ones on Icewatch(?) and one on Riptalon.

42 servers up isn't bad for a beta at all!

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I really enjoyed beta 6, it all seems to be coming together quite nicely, it's still pretty much WAR but a much more refined and polished version, I forget that I did actually enjoy WAR a great deal for the first 3 months.

Hope they keep it up because it's going in the right direction with every beta.

I must admit I really enjoyed beta 6, it all seems to be coming together quite nicely, it's still pretty much WAR but a much more refined and polished version, I forget that I did actually enjoy WAR a great deal for the first 3 months.

Hope they keep it up because it's going in the right direction with every beta.

Have you seen the latest changes to the PvP servers for the last beta Drth? Making wardstones and enemy camps and quest hubs attackable again, removing the guards and giving the server the chance to police itself, to see if it's able. I'm a carebear through and through, but the thought of massive faction wars going on around quest hubs and incursions into enemy territory really has me licking my lips - all those people to die to! :blush:

And nothing changes on the PvE servers so everybody gets the playstyle they sign up for.

I gave this a go during the Beta 6 event and thought it was pretty fun. Not entirely convinced by the class system as I think you just seem to end up with a long list of redundant spells and it's really easy to pick stuff that just doesn't work together at all but thats part of the fun of trying something new so I don't mind. I started out with a warrior aiming to build a tank but it wasnt really clicking so I went with a ceric and it was nice to have my warrior priest back again ;)

I quite like the whole rift mechanics and there was a massive invasion in one of the zones I was in which was ace. Seemed a bit high level perhaps but having about 30 players trying to bring down one big colossus was amusing as it took about 20 mins. Not sure if it's the kind of thing that might get boring after a while though unless they have the facility to really change the way invasions work.

I was disappointed by the pvp side of things. I'm definately someone that preferes being able to quest in peace when I want to but what I liked about warhammer was how it threw you into pvp from the start without it needing to impact on the pve side. I don't know if they're planning on adding more warfronts to each level range but it did seem a bit lacking. I did only get up to about level 15 though so i'm sure there's more I just haven't seen yet.

I gave this a go during the Beta 6 event and thought it was pretty fun. Not entirely convinced by the class system as I think you just seem to end up with a long list of redundant spells and it's really easy to pick stuff that just doesn't work together at all but thats part of the fun of trying something new so I don't mind. I started out with a warrior aiming to build a tank but it wasnt really clicking so I went with a ceric and it was nice to have my warrior priest back again ;)

I quite like the whole rift mechanics and there was a massive invasion in one of the zones I was in which was ace. Seemed a bit high level perhaps but having about 30 players trying to bring down one big colossus was amusing as it took about 20 mins. Not sure if it's the kind of thing that might get boring after a while though unless they have the facility to really change the way invasions work.

I was disappointed by the pvp side of things. I'm definately someone that preferes being able to quest in peace when I want to but what I liked about warhammer was how it threw you into pvp from the start without it needing to impact on the pve side. I don't know if they're planning on adding more warfronts to each level range but it did seem a bit lacking. I did only get up to about level 15 though so i'm sure there's more I just haven't seen yet.

Once you hit 20, you can carry on doing The Black Garden warfront, or The Codex which I believe is more of an assault style warfront. I know there are at least 3 more warfronts and possibly an open PvP zone that looks a bit like that death rift engulfed port you see after the tutorial zone, but that is high level and only available on Alpha and Omega servers atm.

So, a couple of days into the final beta and how is everyone finding it? nice that you don't even need an invite this time, just create a Trion account and d/l away.

Not sure what it is, but something about Rift makes me yearn for AoC and Vanguard.

I've been quite enjoying this so far, had more fun with this in the last few days than I did with FFXIV, though that's not really saying much. The rifts are fun reminds me of campaign from FFXI which I really enjoyed. Something I could see getting better on full release as well if they get left to become tougher and less people turn up, the kill x quests are starting to get a bit boring though. Graphics are a bit disappointing though, from the few videos and previews I'd seen I just expected them to be sharper and crisper, things like the equipment seem very low res. It didn't get much right but FFXIV does look much better, especially the character models. The combat's quite fun though, it certainly throws plenty of abilities at you but again gets a bit repetitive. Playing as Rogue most of the abilities seem to just be weaker versions of the first few I got, probably something that opens up as you get higher and face tougher opponents.

Still undecided about weather I'll pick up the full game, not really jumped out as a must buy so far.

I decided to throw £32 at the digital Collector's Edition yesterday, having only played the beta for about an hour, not because I was blown away by it but more because the class system seems genuinely interesting. The promise of some decent PvP is also a huge draw and I figure that even if I don't hang around after the first month, I'll still have gotten my money's worth.

Discovering the world is seamless in the same way WoW's is was also a big selling point for me. I fucking hate it when an MMO instances its zones.

Edit: If anyone is interested on where to get the CE for £32 (or the standard version for £28), its at Direct2Drive. Use the code VATFREE at checkout.

I enjoyed what I played of the beta and agree the class system looks really interesting, rifts where fun as well. I'm tempted to pick it up especially as if you pre-order you can start playing this Thursday. Tempted to pay for 3 months as well, locks in a cheaper price and in theory if I know I've got 4 months of game time I can be a bit more casual about it, no thinking I've got to get my monthly fee, will no doubt turn into a hopeless addict though.

I found this which is great for it, still not fully sure how it works with swapping souls and point allocation, but I'm convincing myself I should start reading more before Thursday. :lol:

It works pretty much how it looks.

The amount of points you can spend in a tree are capped by your level (eg. at level 4, you cannot put more than 4 points in Stormcaller). Other than that, its just a case of choosing whatever souls you have available to you and going nuts. The more points you spend in a given tree (the branches), the more abilities you unlock in that tree (the roots). You can collect all the souls for your given archetype (Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Rogue) via quests. Souls that you spend points in are "locked" to your current build (a build comprising of 1-3 soul trees) until you pay for a respec which resets soul points to 0. Souls that you don't spend points in can be swapped in and out of builds at will.

You then also have a maximum of 4 builds to create and swap between.

So thats 4 x three talent trees, each tree having eight soul options to swap around. The mind boggles.

"I am a Mage - I join this group to heal your sorry arses."

Souls that you spend points in are "locked" to your current build (a build comprising of 1-3 soul trees) until you pay for a respec which resets soul points to 0. Souls that you don't spend points in can be swapped in and out of builds at will.

It was the respec and soul points that I wasn't too sure of, I'd assumed it was how you described just not 100%, clears that up thanks.

Cleric tank build I made Until they fix the block problems with Cleric shields that is.

This is the Cleric DPS build I was using and if this build works how I think it would it'd be pretty OP in pvp. I used this type of build to level to 26 in beta 7.

I've not decided on healing souls or if I get the game yet but any questions or suggestions would welcome.

Cleric tank build I made Until they fix the block problems with Cleric shields that is.

This is the Cleric DPS build I was using and if this build works how I think it would it'd be pretty OP in pvp. I used this type of build to level to 26 in beta 7.

I've not decided on healing souls or if I get the game yet but any questions or suggestions would welcome.

I started using the boggo standard Shammy/Druid/Sentinel spec up till 25, but found I was pretty shit at everything. Melee dps seems to be wanting with Clerics (I've no idea how Justicar rolls mind) so I switched to Warden/Inquisitor/Sentinel and it's been much better going. Warden is worth it just for the knockback at 8 points but worth going to at least 12 for the aoe heal. I'm having very serious considerations about rolling this build first and doing my favoured NB/Sin/Sab Rogue build until later.

Yeah the melee DPS on the Cleric is pretty terrible which is why I switched to Inq for levelling, The Justicar works well for tanking with Mein of leadership and the AOE healing on melee attacks building decent aggro, the damage is pretty poor though but that seems to be across the board for melee clerics.

The DPS build with Justicar works amazingly well though because reperations work off life damage which the Inq can pump out in large numbers so you get heals off the Just tree because of life damage and also off Vex form the Inq tree. With both running you get a ton of self heals coming in which allows you do take on groups of 4 mobs and kill them pretty quickly with soul drain with decent survivability form Shammy and Just to back up your DPS.

This is a big problem for me however because mixing stuff up and seeing how it works is a lot of fun and I love the theory crafting it's just a shame the gameplay just doesn't grab me at all.