http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-jurassic-park/710663

T61Iz.jpg

xjFlr.jpg

CTkdp.jpg

Szmh8.jpg

RTHgR.jpg

IMfdy.jpg

Summary

Revealed in the latest of Game Informer, the first tidbits we have on Telltale’s Jurassic Park game are encouraging but there are a few things that are somewhat disappointing. With there being three Jurassic Park films, two books that are somewhat vastly different from the films that were made and the prospect of really cool spin-off opportunities, some had wondered when the new JP game would take place. Well keeping in tune with everyone’s favorite installment of the Jurassic Park series, the JP game will be set directly after the events of the first Jurassic Park film. Sadly, none of the characters from the film such as Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) or Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) will make an appearance in the game and it wasn’t confirmed if we could expect to see John Hammond, the man behind Jurassic Park, to pop up as well. The character that players assume the role of in the game is a Jurassic Park employee who I assume finds themselves wanting to get off the island as fast as possible so they don’t become dinosaur chow.

The gameplay in Jurassic Park won’t exactly be in tune with Telltale other projects such as Back to the Future as the game will indeed be reminiscent of Heavy Rain i.e. the action scenes heavily involve Quick Time Events. The game will make players think a bit as there will be puzzles but other gameplay mechanics weren’t divulged so it’s unknown if players will be able to roam around the abandoned and dinosaur infested InGen facilities and explore things or if they’ll be put on a very linear path filled with QTE scenarios.

Unlike the Back to the Future games, Telltale apparently isn’t taking a stylistic approach to Jurassic Park as the game utilizes a realistic art style. Early reports peg the game as not being a complete visual masterpiece, but apparently the look of the game is adequate given the size of the game and Telltale’s development team. As long as the dinosaurs look convincing and are roughly on the same quality as Jurassic: The Hunted I’ll be a happy camper.

Just like Telltale’s Back to the Future games, the Jurassic Park project will be split across five episodes with the first set for release this Spring. Aside from the obvious release on the PC and Mac, it wasn’t stated which consoles it would be released on but if BTTF is any indication a PSN release should be a lock while Xbox 360 owners may be left crying once more.

It’s nice that we finally have some details on Telltale’s Jurassic Park game, but I just hope that the gameplay is compelling and merely won’t consist of a series of rooms strung together with one or two puzzles and four QTEs. I’m also a bit worried about the QTEs as well as they could either prove to be amazing or fall completely flat if not implemented properly along with making replay sessions a bit boring. It’s a bummer that we won’t see any of the main movie cast pop up, but maybe Telltale will throw gamers a bone and insert a character cameo for the finale episode of the game. Even if Jurassic Park doesn’t turn out to be a masterpiece, I’m just happy the franchise is getting another shot in the video game arena and we’re finally getting another game featuring dinosaurs.

:)

I've been pining for a good Jurassic Park game since the SNES days! Please let this be (even only a tiny bit) good.

Ditto (I even quite liked the Megadrive game) but I detest QTEs so I hope they don't play that big a part in the game as the write-up suggests. Admittedly I haven't played many games this generation so maybe QTEs have moved on a lot.

Ditto (I even quite liked the Megadrive game) but I detest QTEs so I hope they don't play that big a part in the game as the write-up suggests. Admittedly I haven't played many games this generation so maybe QTEs have moved on a lot.

Playing as the raptor on the megadrive game was ace.

And alas, QTEs still suck ass.

Does it feature Samuel L Jackson's severed arm?

I hear the game is just Jake Rodkin humming the theme tune.

Anyway, considering Heavy Rain was a rejected Saw sequel script dripping with an astounding layer of pretension, it might be nice to have a game in that style that's not been touched by terrible writer extraordinaire David Cage.

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to this!

Sad to see though that the CGI of this almost 20 years old movie looks better than the graphics for this 2011 game :|

:lol: indeed, but to be fair I think that's down to the devs more than the hardware.

Preview and gameplay footage

Jurassic Park represents an obvious departure from the games regularly associated with Telltale. It's not humorous, the graphical style exchanges whimsy for something more realistic, and it's even driven by some action sequences. Having played a brief demo of the game (the first episode is due in April), I think Telltale can successfully break out of its pattern.

It's not hard to see the aforementioned influences from Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain in Jurassic Park's reliance on quick-time events and context-based interactions. However, unlike Heavy Rain, you don't march your character through the environment -- instead, you move the camera and highlight points of interaction within your field of view. Select one, and a small cutscene shows the result of your action.

My return to John Hammond's failed dinosaur park was in the guise of Dr. Gerry Harding, the park's veterinarian. He's accompanying his teenage daughter, Jess, when he comes across a young Triceratops that escaped from its pen and started snacking on a branch in the middle of a road. In a sequence that was perhaps the most reminiscent of a traditional adventure game, I had to coax the Triceratops back into its pen before advancing down the road. That was the easy part: the Triceratops was apparently deathly afraid of the car horns and high-beam headlights of a nearby jeep, and was compelled to move away. But as I was closing the door to the pen, its mother emerged and rushed toward the gate.

Bursting out of its cage, Momma T slammed into the jeep, damaging the horn. As the horn blared, the Triceratops' anger grew, and a quick-time event guided me as I ripped out wires beneath the vehicle dashboard in hopes of silencing the malfunctioning car and calming the attacking beast. The noise and Triceratops threat made the sequence tense and involving, and those feelings only escalated when a Tyrannosaurus Rex emerged on the scene, ready for a fight.

I couldn't simply watch as the two dinosaurs engaged each other -- I had to grit my teeth and guide Gerry and Jess past them. "Can these people die?," I wondered. I ignored the button prompts on screen and found that, yes, you can meet your demise in Jurassic Park. Jess was gobbled up by the T-Rex, and dad got trampled by the T-Rex. It wasn't pretty.

The demo didn't give an indication of the overall plot of the five-episode series, though it does run in parallel with the first Jurassic Park movie. After Dennis Nedry (played by Wayne Knight) sabotaged the park's security systems, he received a face full of dino spit and died, dropping his Barbasol can full of embryos. "We saw this loose thread in the first movie, which looked like a great opportunity for a story that is really tied into Jurassic Park, but in a way that your outcome isn't pre-determined as it would be if you were replaying the events of the movie," executive producer Kevin Boyle told me. "So we take this loose end from the first movie, this can of embryos that Nedry loses, and there's no real final resolution to it -- it's presumed lost -- and Nedry had people he was delivering that to, keenly interested in receiving it."

Though it seems quite reliant on quick-time events, Telltale's Jurassic Park feels like a unique and tense experience, and completely different from the company's more traditional output. The game's biggest challenge, I think, will be in sustaining and properly pacing that tension for a few hours, across several episodes.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/18/jurassic-park-preview/

:)

I loved Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. There was nothing better than building my own Jurassic Park. Letting the public in to see my wonderful dinosaurs, then letting them go killing everyone.

I really want a great Jurassic Park game, a survival horror type one would be good. I loved Dino Crisis, so a Jurassic Park version would be ace.

I loved Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. There was nothing better than building my own Jurassic Park. Letting the public in to see my wonderful dinosaurs, then letting them go killing everyone.

I really want a great Jurassic Park game, a survival horror type one would be good. I loved Dino Crisis, so a Jurassic Park version would be ace.

Give Visceral the job of making a nextgen Dino Crisis (under a new name of course ;) )

• 1 month later...