rllmuk
choddo

Kindle shop Recommendations

It's on my to read pile, if you haven't already I'd reccomend Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy as it gives you literally everything that happened before, during and after

The superb Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is 99p today. Hard sci-fi, but don’t be put off. Similar in tone, scope and ideas to Iain M. Banks’ Culture novels. It tells the story of a warship's AI trapped in a human body, seeking revenge on the evil empire it once worked for. First in a trilogy it won most Sci-Fi awards a few years back. Heartily recommended. 

• Upvote 6

I’ve still got Ancillary Sword left in my to listen pile, I loved AJ but for some reason I’ve not raced to the next book.

Not as cheap, but still a bargain imho, William Trevor’s The Collected Stories is only £5.99 on Kindle. This is a mammoth body of short story work, from a writer with an almost peerless mastery of the form. A lifetime of dipping in and out of beautiful weltschmerz awaits:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002VISNE4/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Review here if you don’t know his work:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/nov/28/collected-stories-william-trevor-review

• Upvote 1

Been 30 years since I read 2001.. booyah! Also going to grab G... I expect it to be ghost written crap but worth a punt for 99p.

Cheers @Stopharage

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Thanks for doing these posts @Stopharage - really appreciate them and always end up buying a few as a result (should you make them affiliate links perhaps?)

If someone can point me in the right direction, happy to do it. Sounds a bit sad, but the fact that folks get some decent, cheap reading material is why I do it. If I was going to use affiliate links, can it go directly into rllmuk’s coffers? I know that @Mr Tony uses them so maybe he’s the chap to ask. 

• Upvote 3

Yes, thanks so much for the monthly updates. I contribute the occasional bargain every now and then from my own wishlist but I really look forward to your monthly sieving through the pile of discounts. I’d happily click on your affiliate links if you set them up. I picked up the Chiang collection today. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

If someone can point me in the right direction, happy to do it. Sounds a bit sad, but the fact that folks get some decent, cheap reading material is why I do it. If I was going to use affiliate links, can it go directly into rllmuk’s coffers? I know that @Mr Tony uses them so maybe he’s the chap to ask. 

Yeah mine are my own though. To setup you'd need to setup an account with amazon affiliates and have a page that is your "company". I set mine up to be my Facebook group, they were fine with that. 

I think kindle purchases are about 2% maybe, on the pre-vat price. Subscriptions to Kindle Unlimited and Audible are about £4 or £5 each I think. Payment is made monthly, 3 months in arrears. 

• Upvote 1

One of my favourite books of the year Normal People by Sally Rooney is on offer today at £1.29. It’s a novel about a couple’s relationship over the years and how the power dynamic shifts between the two. Really resonated with me and the character development was superb. One of those rare occasions where I can fully appreciate all the plaudits and awards that a book received. Not the kind of book I’d normally buy but was extremely rewarding.  

Lanny by Max Porter is £1.19 today. Booker nominated. From the writer of the wonderful  “Grief is the thing with feathers.” Been on my wish list for ages. Heard extremely good things about this. Only on offer for today. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Lanny by Max Porter is £1.19 today. Booker nominated. From the writer of the wonderful  “Grief is the thing with feathers.” Been on my wish list for ages. Heard extremely good things about this. Only on offer for today. 

Sounds great. Thanks. 

A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea is only 99p at the moment. A really insightful book about life in North Korea for someone who came to the country as a child. Not a cheery book, but quite eye-opening to see both how the country operates, and the struggles that people have when they escape and try to integrate into another society.

Edit: I see that this was already included in the listing above.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Edit - Bought Devil in the White City. 

I'd be amazed if you didn't like it, I recommend it all the time and everyone who has read it has raved about it. It's magnificent. 

• Upvote 3

Bought Devil in the White City, Blood Meridian and Robopacalypse from the list. Thanks for the heads up @Stopharage, looking forward to starting them all.

• Upvote 1