rllmuk
choddo

Kindle shop Recommendations

13 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I don't seem to be getting the Kindle daily deal emails anymore, despite being signed up still.  Anyone else, or just me?

Same here - it's not just you!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Same here - it's not just you!

And me! Just realised I haven’t been getting any. 

the whole concept of 'daily deals' seems to have been dropped from the app, both Kindle and otherwise. I'm wondering if it's to do with the current crisis but I see it's still on the full website. 

On 23/03/2020 at 19:17, milko said:

the whole concept of 'daily deals' seems to have been dropped from the app, both Kindle and otherwise. I'm wondering if it's to do with the current crisis but I see it's still on the full website. 

I just keep a bookmark to the daily deal page and check it every morning

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Daily-Deals/b/?node=5400977031

One of my new years resolutions was to read more. I think prior to this year, I had probably read less than 5 books in the previous seven years. So far this year I have already read four books :D Most of the recommendations have come from on here.

The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern: Beautiful, memorable fairy tale for adults. Amazing. 5/5

The Wall, John Lanchester: Sci-fi story about how in the future there is a big wall around the UK and everyone has to work there as  a soldier. Really liked 4/5

The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead: Story about slavery the deep south in the US, the Klan, and an underground railroad used to liberate slaves. Really good, but not quite as amazing as some have made out 4.5/5

Nickel Boys, also Colson Whitehead: Bought this because I liked the above. This is about the experience of some childen in a rehabilitation school for boys. It was excellent, actually preferred this to the above. 5/5

• Upvote 1

Lord of the Flies down to £1.29 today. One of my all time favourites that I've been teaching for the last six years. Never gets old. I might just buy it anyway to have in my Kindle library.

• Upvote 5

Never read it but now I have some time in my hands, I'll give it a go. Ta for the heads up!

Got my Kindle deals email today again btw.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Lord of the Flies down to £1.29 today. One of my all time favourites that I've been teaching for the last six years. Never gets old. I might just buy it anyway to have in my Kindle library.

One of those books that we didn't read at school, but it felt like everyone else did. Kept meaning to read it - no excuse now!

Cheers @Jamie John.

• Upvote 2

Each book in the Shardlake series by C J Sansom (Dissolution and so on) is down to 99p.

I've seen these a lot but never read them. Recommended?

Does anyone know of any books similar to Control based on clandestine government agencies investigating paranormal/lovecraftian events? 

1 hour ago, grungekid said:

Does anyone know of any books similar to Control based on clandestine government agencies investigating paranormal/lovecraftian events

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer may well fit the bill.

58 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer may well fit the bill.

I'll give this a whirl. Thank you!

16 hours ago, grungekid said:

Does anyone know of any books similar to Control based on clandestine government agencies investigating paranormal/lovecraftian events? 

The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross is pretty much this although not quite in the same vein as Control

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laundry_Files

• Upvote 1

On 27/03/2020 at 11:07, Jamie John said:

Surely this is out of copyright?  In which case you could probably grab it for free from project gutenburg or archive.org.

25 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Surely this is out of copyright?  In which case you could probably grab it for free from project gutenburg or archive.org.

It was published in 1954. Most stuff out of copyright is at least 100 years old. I've only ever been able to get Victorian stuff for free.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Wow, I thought it was much older than that.

Nah. The reason the boys go to the island in the first place is because they're evacuees fleeing an atomic bombing, or that's what's suggested at least. You should definitely read it if you haven't already!

• Upvote 1

I read about 1/3 of it when I was a kid, but I didn't get on with it, and don't remember it very well.  In my (obviously terrible) memory it was a victorian era novel.

I remember seeing the film of Lord of the Flies when I was a kid (the B&W one - this would have been before the colour one was made). I remember it being slightly upsetting.

40 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Meanwhile, this month's Pratchett is:

Carpe Jugulum - £1.99

You only beat me this month because I was playing Animal Crossing :)