Kindle shop Recommendations

20 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Bought three of those, thanks.

So many good books in that list. I only read No Country for Old Men this year - amazing, even reading after watching the film. 

Yes me too, a proper ‘I couldn’t put it down’ read for me, I think I polished it off in a couple of days.

3 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Doesn't seem like the new month's offerings are up yet. However there are about 500 'New You' books on offer. I'm resigned to being pretty much stuck with the old me, but there may be something in there for you. Mixture of books on diets, self-help, inspirational messages and cookery Here

As @Miner Willymentions above, a lot of Orwell stuff is free, along with some others that may be of interest. Fill your boots:-

Animal Farm

Homage to Catalonia

Burmese Days

Coming Up For Air

Keep the Aspidistra Flying

Down and Out in Paris and London

A Clergyman's Daughter

The Road to Wigan Pier

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan

Grimm's Fairy Tales

The Iliad by Homer

The Odyssey by Homer

Paradise Lost by John Milton

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad

Fantastic stuff there - anyone who hasn’t read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists yet get it read, there are few novels as important and as sadly timeless.

It seems these offers are locked by region, my kindle is connected to the US store and it doesn't let me buy from other regions. Can I just change my region without any problems? And back again? 

On 01/01/2021 at 12:43, ZOK said:

Fantastic stuff there - anyone who hasn’t read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists yet get it read, there are few novels as important and as sadly timeless.

My dad got me to read it a couple of years ago, and it's absolutely not the book I thought it would be from the title.  Wish I'd read it when I was a teenager.  Wish everyone had.

Also, Nostromo is one of my favourite books, so well worth £0.00 if you haven't given it a go yet.

As resident Station Eleven fanboy, it’s my duty to inform you all that it’s down to 99p today. Here.

If you need some escapism from living through a pandemic, then this may well be the book for you. This deals with the after-effects of a global pandemic..

Thanks as always for this @Stopharage

Picked up the Bruce Dickinson autobiog as that could be the fun, easy read I need right now. Also added 'The Mandibles' to the pile of shame as it sounds intriguing, as does the 9/11 book...

I was listening to 'Dead Famous' on Audible and, whilst the content is interesting enough, I struggled a little with the author's delivery as he has a way about him that irritates me a little. I can't put my finger on it but it is similar to that nerdy comedian whose name I forget who really irritates me with his affectations. To be fair, I struggle with Audible in general as I find it very hard to pay attention if I am doing anything else at all, even just walking.

7 hours ago, Mike S said:

To be fair, I struggle with Audible in general as I find it very hard to pay attention if I am doing anything else at all, even just walking.

Same for me. I'm fine with podcasts doing stuff as you can drift in and out and catch up with the gist of it... but audiobooks they just send me to sleep.

23 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Have you tried non-fiction? I find it much easier to listen to for some reason. 

I’m the same. Pretty much my entire Audible library is factual work. No sleight on the fiction I’ve heard but I lose focus work it. 

Another vote for non-fiction. I only have two actual novels. There's just something about non-fiction I can focus on better when being read to whilst walking etc. It may be novels are better when sat in bed or in the bath and you can concentrate on them. 

I think part of it is that it's easier for the narrator to fuck up a novel than a non-fiction. It just takes one badly-done character voice to take you right out of it. 

The flip side of that is true, too. Richard Armitage's David Copperfield is spellbinding. It's a real actor's performance. 

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

I think part of it is that it's easier for the narrator to fuck up a novel than a non-fiction. It just takes one badly-done character voice to take you right out of it. 

The flip side of that is true, too. Richard Armitage's David Copperfield is spellbinding. It's a real actor's performance. 

I've found the quality of narration across the many, many audiobooks I have to be consistently really good. There's only three that spring to mind that I really disliked, The Three Body Problem (very audible breathing), The Count of Monte Cristo (poor audio quality) and Children of Time (just generally really shit). I'd also add that I don't really like the Kate Reading/Michael Kramer combo that others love, although I've happily listened to over 100 hours of them due to good books. I also definitely have my favourites, like Steven Pacey and Michael Page.

Maybe my standards are lower than yours, though.

Yeah, I’ve never really had any issues with any of the many audiobooks I’ve listened to, except for one - the guy who narrates Tom Holland’s Rubicon. He put’s a weird extra half a breath pause in between each sentence that makes it sound like all the sentences were recorded individually then spliced together, it drove me bananas and I managed less than half an hour before binning it. I probably listen to 90% fiction.

On the other hand I’ve heard many exceptional narrations...even ones I don’t think I’m going to like I usually warm to.

There's a couple I've had to refund due to annoying narration. There are certain American readers who like to overdo accents. 

One that is often a sign of trouble is where the author reads it themselves. That's usually good if it's an autobiography by someone who is already an actor or a good orator (Obama's recent book wouldn't work with someone else reading it) but if it's a non-fiction work written by a journalist or something, oh dear. 

Yes it’s usually Americans narrating I have an issue with, but I find if I let them bed in then I really dig them after a while.

Like the American guy who reads James Mahaffey’s excellent nuclear industry history Atomic Awakening, he sounded preposterous to begin with, but really just so by the end.

There’s another American one, Paul Michael Garcia’s narration of Ray Bradbury’s The Illustrated Man, I’d rate that as the best narration I’ve ever heard, it’s so beautifully done.