Kindle shop Recommendations

choddo

There's a difference though buying something for £6 and having it reduced to 89p but I mean, I don't think that I have any right to a discount, it's just the way sales work.

Contact them and ask for a refund - I've done this before when a pre-ordered new release book I'd bought dropped a fair bit about a week after release and they were fine to refund.

Should I just try and get a refund on the book, and then buy it, or should I actually say why I want a refund?

It's only £4-ish though so I'm not going to waste a lot of time. It's still annoying.

No. Although as a shop manager if there wasn't a sale of any kind and no real reason other than my whim to expect a price reduction...but then I reduced something by 80% or whatever it is, I'd quite probably offer store credit to the customer as a gesture of good will, if they came in and asked about it.

But I'm nice like that and value my customers. That said, I think I am just going to "be annoyed" rather than bother them and not ever buy full price books ever again unless I'm actually going to read them straight away. Lesson learned. Sorry for derail, it's a great bargain anyway. I'd buy that book at several times the price etc etc.

I think I was just a bit put out that I'd preordered the book well before it came out, and then within a couple of days the price dropped - as if they were deliberately trying to get more from the 'fans' who preordered. Anyway, I just sent an email saying pretty much that - they gave me a full refund, and I then rebought the book right away at the lower price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's Kindle Daily deal: 50 Facts That Should Change the World for 99p

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Facts-Should-Change-World-ebook/dp/B004HD4U5W/ref=kdd_page_title?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0E1S2T72HSZXJC9XPYAK&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=292744187&pf_rd_i=1000577623

Product description:

Why is marriage worth £200,000 a year? Why will having children make you unhappy? Why does happiness from winning the lottery take two years to arrive? Why does time heal the pain of divorce of the death of a loved one - but not unemployment? Everybody wants to be happy. But how much happiness - precisely - will each life choice bring? Should I get married? Am I really going to feel happy about the career that I picked? How can we decide not only which choice is better for us, but how much better it is for us? The Happiness Equation descibes how we can measure emotional reactions to different life experiences and presents them in ways to which we can relate. How, for instance, monetary values can be put on things that can't be bought or sold in the marketplace - such as marriage, friendship, even death - so that we can objectively rank them in order of preference. It also explains why some things matter more to our happiness than others (e.g. why seeing friends is worth more than a Ferrari) while others are worth almost nothing (like sunny weather). Nick Powdthavee - whose work on happiness has been discussed on both the Undercover Economist and Freakanomics blogs - brings the reader cutting-edge research on how we value our happiness in a witty and engaging style.

An easily digestible book of facts, well recommended.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ah, cool (kind of). I've just about gotten used to it now, but wanted something written "normally" after the last book I read - which was in a kind of stream of conciousness style - so I found it unpleasantly jarring at first! Plus it also seems to include him missing out apostrophes in words like don't, which the trained sub-editor in me can't help automatically picking out as mistakes, breaking the flow somewhat!

One of my friends who is a real literary buff has recommended A is for Angelica to me, which looks interesting and for a while is only 99p on the Kindle sale.

"My life is different now. I don't go to work. I don't have an office. I stay at home, hide behind curtains and make notes. I wait for something to happen."

Gordon Kingdom struggles with the fate of his seriously-ill wife while patiently observing and methodically recording the lives of those around him: his neighbours. He has files on them all, including Don Donald (best friend and petty thief), Annie Carnaffan (lives next door, throws footballs over the fence), and Benny (the boy who paints with his eyes closed).

Then there's Angelica, the new girl (42) on the street, with her multi-coloured toenails and her filthy temper. It's when she arrives that Gordon's world of half-truths really begins to unravel. Faced with a series of unexpected events and a faltering conscience, he's left with an impossible decision.

Because in the banality of everyday life, what would you do if the unthinkable happened?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...