Kindle shop Recommendations

choddo

To be fair I've enjoyed every one of his books that I've read. Certainly the Drenai books are excellent. Confusingly the legend of the deathwalker whilst the beginning of the protagonists story is not the first book in the series( that would be Legend) but again they are all excellent and absolutely worth 99p each .

21 minutes ago, little che said:

To be fair I've enjoyed every one of his books that I've read. Certainly the Drenai books are excellent. Confusingly the legend of the deathwalker whilst the beginning of the protagonists story is not the first book in the series( that would be Legend) but again they are all excellent and absolutely worth 99p each .

Do they have to be read in order or are they stand alone?

I've noticed a lot (not sure if all) of Robert Fabbri's tremendous series about the life of Vespasian are all up for 99p at the moment.  Free for Kindle Unlimited users.

Couldn't recommend them enough.

Trouble with Lichen and Spike Milligan’s war diary are both essentials - although you should read ‘Adolf Hitler My Part in His Downfall’ first. But it works in its own right too.

Sylvia Pattersons excellent biography I'm Not with the Band is cheap at the moment. She was one of the best writers with Smash Hits during it's glory years and went on to write about music for loads of other publications. I think fans of the Chart Music podcast would like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Im-Not-Band-Writers-Music-ebook/dp/B010QCLP5A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sylvia+patterson+im+not+with+the+band&qid=1631139396&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

23 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Sylvia Pattersons excellent biography I'm Not with the Band is cheap at the moment. She was one of the best writers with Smash Hits during it's glory years and went on to write about music for loads of other publications. I think fans of the Chart Music podcast would like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Im-Not-Band-Writers-Music-ebook/dp/B010QCLP5A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sylvia+patterson+im+not+with+the+band&qid=1631139396&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

The name rings a bell, so it’s a buy for me! Thanks for the heads up. 

While I remember it feeling more like a very long magazine article rather than a book, Longitude is an excellent read and well worth £1.

Follow it up with a visit to Greenwich to see the Harrison clocks, they’re absolute wonders.

Must buy recommendation:-

The Only Plane In The Sky: The Oral History of 9/11 is 99p today. 

I’m currently 2/3 off the way through the audio version of this and it’s an amazing piece of work. If you’ve recently watched the BBC 9/11 President documentary then this has a similar format. 

It’s a phenomenal bit of work. Heartily advise if you have a passing interest in the seismic events of 9/11. 

7 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Must buy recommendation:-

The Only Plane In The Sky: The Oral History of 9/11 is 99p today. 

I’m currently 2/3 off the way through the audio version of this and it’s an amazing piece of work. If you’ve recently watched the BBC 9/11 President documentary then this has a similar format. 

It’s a phenomenal bit of work. Heartily advise if you have a passing interest in the seismic events of 9/11. 

Thanks! Purchased! I watched that BBC documentary the other day and have been working my way through Turning Point (and have the Ch4 Bin Laden documentary on my TiVo box) so this will make a perfect read once I've cleared my current chosen reads/book club book.

4 minutes ago, wev said:

Thanks! Purchased! I watched that BBC documentary the other day and have been working my way through Turning Point (and have the Ch4 Bin Laden documentary on my TiVo box) so this will make a perfect read once I've cleared my current chosen reads/book club book.

It’s a superb piece of work. Think the author spent 10 years putting it together and it features the words of over 500 people saying what they went through on the day. Just a huge amount of detail about how people acted and were impacted on the day’s events. 

So much in there that I didn’t have any knowledge of. Cheney gave the Air Force the power to shoot one of the passenger planes down. The pilots explained what happened next.

113ECEED-24F1-4D58-8886-208D26C5C91F.jpeg

What the hell! Explain the need to shoot down a passenger jet in such oblique terms that you need to ask to make sure they understand you? Why not just say it precisely? Would it be rude? I suppose anything that humanises the objective is a no-no.

And then the kicker being you have no means of actually taking down a jet aside from a suicide mission? Wow.

On 08/09/2021 at 23:20, Silent Runner said:

Nice! I’m sure she wrote for NME too if I’m correctly remembering my Pattersons.

4 hours ago, Sane said:

Is this the book to start with if you haven't read any of them? 

It is - it’s the first of the original trilogy, and then there’s further books set in the same world, some covering the same characters, some more loosely linked.

(I’ve read the first trilogy, been meaning to get around to the rest at some point.)

• 2 weeks later...