IGNORED

Why does the PS2 hate Max Payne?

Beertiger

How do they manage to do it?

I'd imagine it's not the ideal platform to port a game of that kind onto. The hardware is totally 'different' and the game needs far too much accuracy for those sticks to manage.

Dunno how the Xbox version has fared, but I didn't rate the port of the first game onto it very highly.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Well just reading the review on IGN it seems that once again Max Payne is pointless on the system.

It's a shame as i know a few people who don't like it but have only played the PS2 original.

The PS2 version was dire, utter crap.

I owned both the PS2 and Xbox versions of Max Payne. I thought the PS2 version held up pretty well. Coming to it as a fresh game, and having no PC or Xbox version to compare it to, I really enjoyed it. I completed it, traded it and about six months later picked it up for the Xbox. The gameplay was/is identical, and aside from a few graphical touches, the PS2 version offers a fine Max Payne experience.

Well just reading the review on IGN it seems that once again Max Payne is pointless on the system.

It's a shame as i know a few people who don't like it but have only played the PS2 original.

They need to know how to cut the game's engine down and retain the gameplay, my guess is they aren't really that bothered. Max Payne 2 on the PC looks frickin' amazing, first game I'd seen in ages on a PC that I thought - wow - my consoles can't do that. Of course my PC can't do it either without me spending $200 on a GFX card!

Still - looking forward to seeing the GBA version of MP2 will be like. Hopefully they won't try to port the 3D engine to the GBA. :lol:

The controls on the Xbox version are very good, better than I expected to be honest. I'd only played the PC version of MP1 so I didnt really know what to expect. Halo style aiming, fire on R shootdodge on L bullet time on B use on X and jump on A. Weapon select is a bit fiddly as you have to move your thumb to the D-pad. Painkillers are handily on white and reload on black. There is autoaim and a sort of lock on thing when an enemy is in the middle of your view which make things a bit easier to handle.

I love the new phisics engine that lets you move things around fairly realistically by bumping into them. If you walk into a wall of boxes they fall down realistcly a bit like the Half Life 2 engine but not as good. There are also some lovely ragdoll animations too although some enemies seem to go into spazm when they die(usually if they are obstructed by an object).

More of the same so far but thats no bad thing IMO. I just hope there are no blood trails.

Completed the original on the PC over a year ago (if not more), and played the Xbox version recently (after I'd played MP2 on the PC), and found it to be brilliant, the controls were great. :lol:

Haven't had time to complete Max Payne 2, but I will get round to it.

The controls on the Xbox version are very good, better than I expected to be honest. I'd only played the PC version of MP1 so I didnt really know what to expect. Halo style aiming, fire on R shootdodge on L bullet time on B use on X and jump on A. Weapon select is a bit fiddly as you have to move your thumb to the D-pad. Painkillers are handily on white and reload on black. There is autoaim and a sort of lock on thing when an enemy is in the middle of your view which make things a bit easier to handle.

I love the new phisics engine that lets you move things around fairly realistically by bumping into them. If you walk into a wall of boxes they fall down realistcly a bit like the Half Life 2 engine but not as good. There are also some lovely ragdoll animations too although some enemies seem to go into spazm when they die(usually if they are obstructed by an object).

More of the same so far but thats no bad thing IMO. I just hope there are no blood trails.

You'll be happy to know that there isn't a single sodding blood trail level in the game. HURRAH.

• 2 weeks later...
I finished the Xbox version yesterday.

I loved the game, but it's way too short.

Play it again, Sam.

Is there more levels if you replay it? :wub:

play it on 'dead man walking'.

score attack heaven.

re: the PS2 version - the level of graphical detail and (in MP2) the physics engine are way beyond anything the PS2 has been seen doing, even on its native games. the ports wouldn't have been made at all was the PS2 not the biggest sales platform.

both PS2 games are horribly jerky, unplayable pieces of crap. the xbox conversions seem to retain all the detail of the PC version and run it at a solid 60fps with no aliasing. they're right at the top of my 'great port' league.