IGNORED

10 O'Clock Live

Kodamarama

I agree, but he is, admittedly, a misanthrope.

This is an interesting thing which I always wonder about Brooker - is he a misanthrope, or is it just a persona/him trading on the label? Much as I think Brooker's at his best when he's most vehemently venting his spleen, I always have nagging doubts about people who willing put themselves into a particular category (albeit not pigeon-holed, per se).

I personally can't think of a single partisan current affairs comedy show that's taken seriously. Not one.

:facepalm:

Feel free to pitch a right wing comedy show to Channel 4 though. I'm sure that'll get snapped right up.

It isn't current affairs though, it's a comedy show.

I quite like 10 O'Clock Live, it's funny in places, but a lot of it is pretty lazy and the stuff on Barclays was a cheap shot - find me a global business that doesn't find ways of paying fuck all corporation tax (Google? Microsoft? I could go on). Oh those evil bankers! Oh, Bankers In Need! How we laughed.

I like the rants from Brooker and Mitchell. The other stuff I can take or leave.

I'd say Have I Got News For You does a much better job of having a semblance of political balance, even if it is just a case of hating everyone equally.

I loved the piece on Britain's links to despots, but then the "debate" on whether Britain should export arms (and whether Cameron is a massive hypocrite for preaching democracy in the Middle East and visiting arms fairs) was a farce. The Listen to Mitchell pieces have been consistently good, and Brooker's rant on Gadaffi ("with a flashcard reminding you to laugh at his funny clothes") was spot on.

Mostly good episode again this week. Charlie "DON'T PITY ME!" Brooker was on good form as always, didn't realise it was his birthday either. I don't know why they got that Tory-boy Shaun "I only ever hear immigration talked about in a positive context" back though he was fairly useless in the last discussion and even worse in this. The only other negative I'd say came when the four of them were talking about invading Libya and Lauren kept interrupting what was quite a funny conversation, yes I know she's there to keep things on track and move the show along but she added nothing in and made what should have been quite a smooth, relaxed and funny piece into something altogether more awkward and stilted. Plus if you got rid of her and her little segment we might have been able to have more time to listen to more of the NHS talk which was just getting interesting when it had to be cut.

One thing though - please drop the mini live debate. It's the same every week and really does no one any credit.

I agree with this. I'd rather Mitchell had longer with the interviews - every time it starts to get a bit interesting he has to end it.

It's interesting how they're all developing. I thought Carr was awesome first couple of episodes but although his ad-libs continue to be great his monologues have been dire - proper end of the pier stuff at parts - while Brooker's relaxed more and grown into it.

The Daily Show's Global Edition still blows it out the water of course, but there's only one Jon Stewart, unfortunately.

This is going from strength to strength, with even the weakest parts improving considerably. Carr's sketches were old-fashioned and awful, but I still laughed so it did the job (and a considerable improvement over previous weeks).

Mitchell's interview/debate still doesn't have enough time to get going, though. Might be worth getting rid of one and giving a single issue the time it deserves.

Yes, his BBC rant was great and I thought he cut into some of the rubbish the Labour shadow minister was saying too. Charlie's two segments were to their typical high standard too. That round table discussion felt totally useless, but then in a sense that makes it quite an effective microcosm of the debate about engaging in military action in Libya. I was shocked to find myself thinking that the Conservative guy was the only one to come out of that with any dignity, he had some odd mannerisms but you could tell he was the only one truly considering the situation. Once again annoyed by Lauren, I thought the Ed Milliband sketch was OK but would have actually been better without her voice-over.

See, I'm of the opinion that Lauren's sections are as much about the information as they are the "comedy". But Mitchell's rants were fantastic, and I loved it when Jimmy Carr was having trouble reading the autocue through the smoke (and the harness cutting into him).

What was that nonsense she was saying about NATO/UN intervention being pointless in Bosnia/Serbia too?

It was, effectively. Witness the Srbrenica massacre - UN troops stood by and had to let it happen. I mean, the Americans even managed to hit the wrong country (Bulgaria) with a missile!