rllmuk
Lorfarius

Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Joe Manganiello's Star-Studded Dungeons & Dragons Life

The star hosts a game that celebs like James Gunn and Tom Morello play in, and writes modules for the game himself.

When the time comes to sit back and relax, just know that Joe Manganiello has a favorite way to relax. He's got a game, all right. But it's not baseball, nor is it football, basketball, or even hockey. Nope—Joe Mangianello is a die-hard Dungeons & Dragons head. 

Manganiello isn't only an expert D&D player, though—he's also a host, with "everybody in L.A," he jokes, stopping by at his house to play. Including himself, the number he hosts can range between five and nine people. The group stopping by includes people like Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, and Rampage director Brad Peyton. 

Others, like NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and TV host Stephen Colbert—a noted fantasy nerd himself—want to come over and join the game, he told Men's Health. 

The actor was big into the role-playing game as a kid, mentioning that it really helped to inform the acting, character building, and writing that's shaped his career. "It’s where I figured out how to develop a character and how to tell longform narrative stories, like on a TV series," he said in his Men's Health cover interview."The earliest evidence of me producing and acting and writing all came from that"

While there was a long break, Manganiello's childhood passion came back with a vengeance in 2013. He was performing in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire at Yale, and a childhood friend of his—whom he actually taught Dungeons & Dragons to—lived in New Haven. The actor got in touch to the friend, who had since married and had children, to offer him tickets. "He was like, 'Dude, you’re not gonna believe it but we started playing again, and you need to make a character and come over." One car rental, and a ride half-way across the state later, and Manganiello was all the way back in on D&D. 

Even though Dungeons & Dragons has long been part of Manganiello's stress relief strategy, it's recently shifted into work—he says he's now writing for the game, officially. "I created all these characters for it, and I’m now licensing it out and turning them into figures," he said. "I’m art directing and farming out artwork to different artists around the world who are putting together the next collection of pieces."

Manganiello has talked about his experience with the game before, and it almost seems like he's doing a bit of recruiting to continue building out his group.

He's been connected to the role of Deathstroke for a while—he made a post-credits cameo as the character in Justice League, and was originally set to face off with Ben Affleck in The Batman. If he remains in the role, you'd have to wonder if Manganiello could start to recruit the new Batman, Robert Pattinson—having significantly dabbled in fantasy fare, having played both a Wizard and a Vampire—would be interested in joining the game. What better way for Batman and one of his chief foes to get acquainted, right?

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a27511286/joe-manganiello-dungeons-and-dragons/

• Upvote 1

Good to see the game getting more mainstream attention.

After all, every D&D player I know looks exactly like Joe or Deborah Ann Woll.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

After all, every D&D player I know looks exactly like Joe or Deborah Ann Woll.

I don’t really know who that Joe chap is other than “an actor” and don’t know who Deborah Ann Will is either.  Joe looks a bit scruffy to me though, he could do with a shave and nice suit.  

They were both on vampire series True Blood, with Woll going on to be one of the main cast in the Marvel/Netflix Daredevil series while Joe was signed up to be Deathstroke in the DC movies (& had a teaser cameo at the end ofJustice League..) before that whole 'universe' fell apart..

23 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I don’t really know who that Joe chap is other than “an actor” and don’t know who Deborah Ann Will is either. 

Just two typical D&D players, we all have them round our tables: ;)

joe_manganiello.jpg

large.jpg

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

Just two typical D&D players, we all have them round our tables: ;)

You’re playing with the wrong people. (And that Joe chap still needs a shave and to put a shirt and tie on.)

New Starter Set on the way.. A new adventure (also set in the region around Phandalin like the existing Starter Set) includes a new beginner rule book, DM Screen, area poster, magic item, condition etc cards. Sidekicks are a new thing in the game, someone even more simple to play - either for the player or perhaps a child/partner to ease them into how the game works without having to worry about anything much..

• Upvote 2

The best thing in that whole article is this line:

His website features a photoshopped image of Jesus holding a D-20.

I love the apparent necessity of the word photoshopped.

11 hours ago, jonamok said:

That’s cool! Perhaps on Easter Sunday JC rolled a natural 20 after all.

Either that or there was a decent Cleric about.. Raise Dead works for up to 10 days after death.. he was only gone 3!

• Upvote 1

My nephew is watching Stranger Things and he vaguely mentioned being interested in D&D as we were out shopping.  Approx 5 mins later I had the D&D Stranger Things starter set in his hands.  Hopefully he'll take to it.

I'm been looking through some old photos and came across my charity shop find from a few years ago...

IMG_1228.jpg

....£60 for the lot.  I still recall the sick / excited feeling when I say the shelf of books, then the £2 a book price and then to be told its buy one get one free.  

• Upvote 6

Couple of new subclasses added to Unearthed Arcana for playtesting..

Wild Soul Barbarian - Rolls on a (generally more beneficial) wild magic table every time he rages! Can give up to a 4th level spell slot to another caster at the cost of taking 5-20HP of damage..

Way of the Astral Self Monk - astral projected arms to fight for you and control over energy..

https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-WildAstral.pdf

• Upvote 1