Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Just finished the sunless citadel with my Sunday zoom crew. Utterly brilliant, the amount of dumb / and or awesome stuff that happened was epic. A particular highlight was inadvertently torturing a goblin then reanimating him, and an occasion when my gnomish druid companion turned into a giant lizard and demanded I mount him into battle

Most of the DnD20 Live event videos are up now on their youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DNDWizards/videos

Most of the streamed one shots were fun, but a special nod has to go to the Cast of Thrones where things go off the rails immediately and hilariously and never really get back on track..

Gemma Whelan (who played Yara Greyjoy on GoT) in particular is amazing in this.. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Question, as the DM is mind controlling a high level spell caster PC and having them burn their highest level spell slot on trying to kill the party a really annoying thing for a DM to do or is it all part of the fun? 

oh yes definitely and if he is a rogue make sure he is getting that sneak attack and using optimum attacks :D

As for the question it depends on the mind controller and its intentions. If it is an intelligent relatively high challenge opponent and it wants to kill the whole party then yep use every single high spelll slot for two reasons - 1) to damage the party and 2) to reduce how many spells he has when he regains control... if he was a sorceror I'd be burning those sorcery points as quickly as possible.

trying to judge how intelligent your party's attackers are and formulating strategy is one of the most fun aspects. Get to a certain level and creatures will adapt and try to pick off the weakest or the one doing most damage etc.

It is quite high level CR when you get to that point though.

I wouldn't change it that much - in 5e players can do a load of damage per round - you could be looking at 5 characters of that level managing 100 damage per round between them easily.

Maybe lower the AC to ensure they get those hits in but again most players will have +7 to hit etc.

If you check kobold fight club  2 lvl 7 and 3 lvl 9s fighting a CR16 is a deadly encounter - BUT - not by much (if you tweak the players up a bit it becomes "medium" level and I find KFC overestimates the danger. What really hits players hard is abilities that drain and do extra damage or abilities that restrict their ability ot hit/cause damage (immunities and resistances etc) that creature has none of those.

All of the above depends on how rested they are when they meet the creature - will they be full rested or will they be at half spells/2nd wind/ki/sorcery? Or will they be tapped out?

• 3 weeks later...

Our small group is considering D&D as a way of getting back to gaming in a reasonably socially distanced way (and giving us the option to continue should there be another lockdown). Problem is we've got no idea where to start or if there are any obvious alternatives to D&D that might be better.

1) There will always be a minimum of 4 people (including the DM) with 5 some of the time. Unlikely the group will expand beyond that though.

2) None of us have ever played a TTRPG before, or certainly not in the last 15 years.

3) Our board game sessions tend to be long-ish affairs so time shouldn't be a limiting factor.

4) Theme isn't hugely important, although we haven't discussed that

5) I think the group would probably err to something with a reasonably well defined ruleset and not something that relies on very heavy RPG/creative elements. At least to start with!

D&D seems like the obvious option, and if it is - where the hell to start to have a 'trial' session of sorts? I'll probably end up being the DM and i'm happy to do all the initial legwork to get it up and running.

It’s never been easier to get into D&D. It’s the starting point and the default for lots of reasons. Yes there are alternatives but D&D is the most widely played and the most widely supported. I could not recommend anything else. 

Buy the Starter set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0786965592/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tsClFbCZP5985 it’s a campaign in a box and the perfect introduction.

Basic rules are in it but also here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

good luck and have fun. 

@phresh Honestly, if you're looking to get into TTRPGs, I wouldn't recommend anything to you but D&D. 5th Edition is a fantastic, comprehensive and straightforward system. It still suffers from that D&D thing where you're basically getting an amazing tabletop skirmish battle game with a roleplay sort of built around it, but I think from what you've said about your group this is almost an advantage.

I do have my concerns about D&D devouring the whole hobby, but there's a reason why it's so big - it's beginner friendly, and it's good.

Please, please, please make sure wherever you play it, play fights on a grid. The true brilliance of the combat encounters won't reveal themselves without it.

10 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I do have my concerns about D&D devouring the whole hobby, but there's a reason why it's so big - it's beginner friendly, and it's good.

It’s almost always been like this though. I’ve been playing since the early 80s (starting with D&D) and it’s always been the dominant RPG. These days you can certainly find out more about other RPGs via the internet but D&D is great for getting new people into the hobby. 5e is great as it’s a really solid system that has learnt the lessons from the past. 

The mid eighties scene was a bit more diverse but that was probably down to GW publishing and stocking other games but that all vanished when they focused on their own games. It seems really hard to make money from RPGs these days, which I don’t quite understand, and I wonder how much money and players are into computer games instead. 

I understand your concerns though, there are lots of good games out there. I’d quite like to play a bit of war gaming  but 40k and Age of Sigmar hold no interest for me And GW is soooo dominant. 

@phresh Good luck - if you have any questions ask here. 

5 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I understand your concerns though, there are lots of good games out there. I’d quite like to play a bit of war gaming  but 40k and Age of Sigmar hold no interest for me And GW is soooo dominant. 

You are probably right of course. And I suspect that the word "concerns" isn't the best one for it. I'm not really fretting or anything - locally it's just got a little bad with the local RP venues more or less running exclusively D&D, and other games being pushed right the way out. Still, it's not like I can begrudge Wizards the success, as I've said above they've got a fantastic product that I would still recommend to new people trying to get into the hobby.

I'm sure they'll get overconfident and stuff up 6th Edition.

Also, where's my Dark Sun campaign book, Wizards? That's the best D&D.

11 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I'm sure they'll get overconfident and stuff up 6th Edition.

Up until now I have only really played odd numbered editions. I hope they muck up 6th just so I can keep my reverse Star Trek film thing going. 

11 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Also, where's my Dark Sun campaign book, Wizards? That's the best D&D.

I want Greyhawk! :quote:

On 07/08/2020 at 22:05, phresh said:

Our small group is considering D&D as a way of getting back to gaming in a reasonably socially distanced way (and giving us the option to continue should there be another lockdown). Problem is we've got no idea where to start or if there are any obvious alternatives to D&D that might be better.

1) There will always be a minimum of 4 people (including the DM) with 5 some of the time. Unlikely the group will expand beyond that though.

2) None of us have ever played a TTRPG before, or certainly not in the last 15 years.

3) Our board game sessions tend to be long-ish affairs so time shouldn't be a limiting factor.

4) Theme isn't hugely important, although we haven't discussed that

5) I think the group would probably err to something with a reasonably well defined ruleset and not something that relies on very heavy RPG/creative elements. At least to start with!

D&D seems like the obvious option, and if it is - where the hell to start to have a 'trial' session of sorts? I'll probably end up being the DM and i'm happy to do all the initial legwork to get it up and running.

I would have suggested either the Call of Cthulhu or Takes from the Loop starter sets so if you don’t get on with D&D maybe try those. 

Thanks, I do like the look of Tales from the Loop.

I'll be DM'ing the first part of Mines of Phandelver on Saturday evening! Nervously excited about it - it's with good friends (who are all just as inexperienced with D&D) so I think it will be good fun and relaxed, and everyone seems quite excited about it. I'll post here with how it goes (and probably a thousand questions!).

On 13/08/2020 at 12:09, phresh said:

I'll be DM'ing the first part of Mines of Phandelver on Saturday evening! Nervously excited about it - it's with good friends (who are all just as inexperienced with D&D) so I think it will be good fun and relaxed, and everyone seems quite excited about it. I'll post here with how it goes (and probably a thousand questions!).

Nice one, best of luck with it :D We're up to Cragmaw Castle now and its been great. I was really nervous the first session even though it was with friends I know well but have settled into things nicely. I overprep a lot I think but I enjoy digging into the story. Happy to answer any questions about my experience with the adventure (although I'm a first timer too so that may not be worth much)!

On 13/08/2020 at 12:09, phresh said:

I ran some forum folk through this campaign four years ago (holy crap how was it four years ago?!?) and it was fun, leading them to carry on playing in new campaigns. Our experience was captured here: