Dungeons & Dragons Thread

21 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

BTW. am I correct to assume that Rime of the Frostmaiden has a similar setup to CoS?

Not really, but I suppose it depends what you mean. RotF opens with you doing low-level quests roaming around a group of towns in the frozen North. It suggests a Session Zero to tie your characters together and into the area, and gives you each a random character secret, some of which tie in to later quests. I suppose it's similar to Strahd in that both Ravenloft and Icewind Dale are sealed off from the outside world by the main antagonist.

15 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Not really, but I suppose it depends what you mean. RotF opens with you doing low-level quests roaming around a group of towns in the frozen North. It suggests a Session Zero to tie your characters together and into the area, and gives you each a random character secret, some of which tie in to later quests. I suppose it's similar to Strahd in that both Ravenloft and Icewind Dale are sealed off from the outside world by the main antagonist.

That sounds good. :D Thanks!

Had my CoS group leave Vallaki behind yesterday evening. I'm sure all parties involved consider that to be the smartest thing they've done in a while.

Vallaki spoilers:

Spoiler

They've set loose all of the coffin maker's vampire spawn and the sabre-tooth tiger on the town (hoping the latter would somehow attack the former) while the townsfolk were gathered outside for the "festivities", challenged Strahd directly (causing one of them to die and be brought back by the Dark Powers, another to become 'interesting' to Strahd, and killing the local priest by proxy), lost Ireena and Ismark only to barely save them from the Burgomaster's mansion, outright murdered an innocent civilian (as the warlock's patron is currently also the Dark Powers, and she wanted her magic powers back), and scared off Rictavio.

So yeah, off to Krezk we go... :ph34r: They did kind of make a friend in Kasimir, I guess?

Oh god I want to click that. 

In our trip to Valaki I think we threw Clipper a curve ball in how to play something out when we 

Spoiler

Blew the coffin makers shop up and started a large fire spreading to many nearby buildings...

9 hours ago, Hexx said:

Oh god I want to click that. 

In our trip to Valaki I think we threw Clipper a curve ball in how to play something out when we 

Hide contents

Blew the coffin makers shop up and started a large fire spreading to many nearby buildings...

Definitely the better option. A lot cleaner as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that's bought both physical sourcebooks and on DnDBeyond - what's the content like digitally? Do you still get to "read" it, or does it just unlock options across the site on various pages?

Wavering on Tasha's new stuff

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

Anyone that's bought both physical sourcebooks and on DnDBeyond - what's the content like digitally? Do you still get to "read" it, or does it just unlock options across the site on various pages?

Wavering on Tasha's new stuff

Yeah the books are very readable (and probably more importantly very very searchable) on DnDBeyond. 

I’ve got a full physical 5th Edition book collection (or at least will have once Tasha’s is released over here) and so have only bought a couple of bits on there purely due to the cost of replicating things, but I’d have no hesitation in re-buying books I used regularly. 

I'm going to run a session for some friends who have never played before, can anyone recommend a decent one-shot (or short campaign with an interesting start)? They'll be level 1/2. Something reasonably light, for my benefit as much as anyone elses!

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Starter Set adventure, Lost Mines of Phandelver. There's an initial encounter, and then a fun small dungeon, which usually we don't get to the end of in a single evening but has always been a good start, and then you can decide if you want to play more, and there's a decent mini campaign to follow. The newer Essentials Kit adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak is probably a bit easier to run but it's essentially a set of subquests from a job board without much sweeping narrative, so I preferred to use the best ones as optional add ons to LMOP (as its set in the same location) rather than on its own. I don't have any beginner's one shots I really love, but in your first session with beginners you're only going to make it through a tiny amount of content anyway so it really doesn't matter, any five room dungeon does the job.

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Starter Set adventure, Lost Mines of Phandelver. There's an initial encounter, and then a fun small dungeon, which usually we don't get to the end of in a single evening but has always been a good start, and then you can decide if you want to play more, and there's a decent mini campaign to follow. The newer Essentials Kit adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak is probably a bit easier to run but it's essentially a set of subquests from a job board without much sweeping narrative, so I preferred to use the best ones as optional add ons to LMOP (as its set in the same location) rather than on its own. I don't have any beginner's one shots I really love, but in your first session with beginners you're only going to make it through a tiny amount of content anyway so it really doesn't matter, any five room dungeon does the job.

I'm currently running LMoP as my first campaign with another group (tackling wave echo cave this weekend) and i'm unsure if I really want to run it again straight away, although that will have it's benefits. It is a pretty good starting point though and the first two encounters are decent and should give the group an idea if they want to continue. Can't really run the Essentials campaign as another person in the LMoP group is going to take over as DM and run that once we've finished LMoP. Don't want to spoil it!

1 hour ago, dullhorse said:

Kelsey Dionne who publishes under the Arcane Library writes adventures that are easy to run. She has a couple of free ones available too, including a 1st level one if you sign up for a newsletter

https://www.thearcanelibrary.com/

I'll check these out, thanks.

16 hours ago, phresh said:

I'm going to run a session for some friends who have never played before, can anyone recommend a decent one-shot (or short campaign with an interesting start)? They'll be level 1/2. Something reasonably light, for my benefit as much as anyone elses!

Defiance in Phlan is an official D&D Adventurer's League set of 5 short adventures designed to be played in about an hour each and in any order. Available free here: https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DDEX11_Defiance_in_Phlan.pdf

Also might like to google Matt Colville's "Delian Tomb". It's a low level dungeon he knocked together as a demo and is quite popular.