IGNORED

Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Lorfarius

3 minutes ago, Kzo said:

LMoP final dungeon spoilers

Hide contents

So my PCs have shoved a Flameskull into their Bag of Holding...

Can it get out or does someone have to open the bag?

image.thumb.png.74b4d7f09689db05eed227773c574c29.png

Spoiler

"According to the item properties in the DMG, no, it can only be opened from the outside. Specifically, items inside require an action to be retrieved.

(To satisfy those who have asked: the word retrieve, as used here, is a transitive verb with an implied indirect object, usually the same as the subject. The direct and indirect objects of a transitive verb can very rarely, if ever, be the same in English. Therefore, no, something can't retrieve itself, because that doesn't make sense.)

However, YOUR bag of holding does not have to be the bag of holding presented in the book. If you say that it can happen in your campaign, then it can. Never let minor mechanical details get in the way of the story (being mindful of your players, of course)."

(I only know to paste this answer because I had to look it up myself this one two three times.)

6 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Is it dead? I am assuming it is dead!

In which case no it can't escape. But as soon as the skull is removed it will reanimate (assuming more than 1 hr passed). Time passes as normal in the bag... so they might assume or INT check and think that time stops for it in the bag so they have 1hr once they take it out. I would have it inert int he bag not on fire so it is not obvious (no oxygen in bag so skull wouldnt flame) :D

Remember contents of bag of holding turned inside out empties it - so they are holding a ticking time bomb.

1 hour ago, Kzo said:

Cheers! It's not dead (!) so I suppose it'll zoom out next time they open it (hoping for their sake that's before it gets its 3rd level spell back). I don't think this will be the last time they try this :lol:

ok according to RAW no it cant leave when they open it as the item inside has to be thought of/chosen when you reach into bag - if you look in open bag it looks empty. But as stated above your bag can have your rules.

God knows how they got it in there but in theory it is stuck until they reach in and grab it - or if someone turns bag inside out.

5 hours ago, Kzo said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think Dungeon Dudes did quite a good piece on the bag of holding, I can't remember it exactly, and it wasn't RAW, but think about it like a box with a lid, if you wanted to escape out of that in game then you'd allow some strength checks or something. Maybe they then have to wrap the bag in rope to stop anything escaping. A lot of the base rules for the bag seem to be geared towards inanimate objects rather then actual creatures. Also make sure it trashes anything and everything they already had in it.

Almost finished second group with LMoP and it's been a bit smoother running this time, although the players have engaged with it a bit more (both the story and the mechanics) which has helped a lot. I've decided to run the campaign through into Tomb of Annihilation so really looking forward to getting stuck into a full length campaign.

I'm going to take a break with the first group I run and my partner was looking at alternative RPG's to run (ideally with simpler mechanics and/or less rules) and stumbled across Call of Cthulhu, would this be worth a punt?

I introduced my son to D&D by building a character with him  - A Dragonborn Paladin - Chaotic Evil - called BOB (he is 9!)

His stat roles started with TWO 18s and ended up with

What an intro to D&D

I am planning to DM him and I will also be playing his "sidekick" , a Human Warlock (his choice) - Chaotic Neutral called OOF... and my stat roles? oh yes let me just find them 15,14,12,9,8,8 FFS

He has a plus 7 to hit at 1st level! Whereas if I ever hit with my dagger I get -1 on damage!

EDIT - planning to do Phandelver with him heavily modified - I expect him to team up with the goblins and overthrow the town if I am brutally honest

EDIT EDIT - oh and if anyone could tell me where I put my starter set box with the sodding campaign book in that woul dbe great :D

So my party reached the Amber Temple in CoS.

Spoiler

They've brought Esmerelda along, which is a huge boon and who I've given a once per long rest 5ft radius Fireball kick in her prosthetic. This Esmerelda is definitely not going to sulk about losing her leg.

Anyway, one of the players is a Warlock with a knowledge patron and oh lord, is she having a grand ol' time in Barovia with the Dark Powers tempting her at every turn. Behind the scenes, she's been accumulating the most "interest" from these Dark Powers, to the point that Strahd now realizes she might become the usurper. So of course they stumble on the first set of sarcophagi and she goes and accepts all the gifts and saves all the CHA saves. She's now hovering towards Evil, while her face is misshapen, she smells like a rotten corpse, and has become very transactional in helping the party.

The rest of the party tried to keep her from touching the third sarcophagus, but failed due to falling down and unlucky rolls. Still, they're all relieved we're past that bit now...

Spoiler

They don't yet realize how many sarcophagi rooms there are in this temple. :ph34r:

Of course, the reason the Warlock decided to take the powers also has something to do with three Flameskulls hitting the party with 3 successive Fireballs and KO-ing 4/5 of the party and bringing Esmerelda down to 1/4 of her HP right before discovering said room.

Now they've hidden themselves successfully from Rahadin praying at the center statue. Only for the Warlock to see through the magical darkness at the statue, just in time to see an Arcanaloth toss yet another Fireball at them (and they don't know about the three supporting Flameskulls in the rafters). Great cliffhanger for the session, but damn... Methinks this temple is going to kill one or two PCs...

17 hours ago, phresh said:

Almost finished second group with LMoP and it's been a bit smoother running this time, although the players have engaged with it a bit more (both the story and the mechanics) which has helped a lot. I've decided to run the campaign through into Tomb of Annihilation so really looking forward to getting stuck into a full length campaign.

I'm going to take a break with the first group I run and my partner was looking at alternative RPG's to run (ideally with simpler mechanics and/or less rules) and stumbled across Call of Cthulhu, would this be worth a punt?

Call of Cthulhu is brilliant but a very different style of game, so make sure you players know what the style is beforehand or you may struggle.

CoC tends to be very investigation oriented. SO mostly it is visiting creepy places or talking to weird folk and trying  to piece together what on earth (or elsewhere) is going on. It is best when the setting (usually 1920s) is leaned on heavily to contribute to the atmosphere. Another important point is that it it not really about the combat, which is deadly. If the players approach encounters like D&D adventurers, you scenario will be very short.

There is a thread about it here.

CoC is great but totally different from D&D. You do really need player buy in and commitment to the setting tone/approach. 

Edit: Setting is definitely the wrong word. The less the players know the better. Tell them it’s an investigation based game, where combat is deadly and to be avoided at almost all costs, and that it is almost impossible to “win”. 

Next D&D Book, after Candlekeep Mysteries has been leaked.

It is...”Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft”!

Explore the horrors of Ravenloft in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Terror stalks the nightmare realms of Ravenloft. No one knows this better than monster scholar Rudolph Van Richten. To arm a new generation against the creatures of the night, Van Richten has compiled his correspondence and case files into this tome of eerie tales and chilling truths.

•  Travel (perhaps even by choice) to Ravenloft's expanded Domains of Dread—each domain with its own unique flavor of horror, thrilling story hooks, and grisly cast of characters

•  Craft your own D&D horror settings, add tension with optional rules, and get advice for running a game that's ghastly in all the right ways

•  Create characters with lineages tied to vampires, undead, and hags, horror-themed subclasses, the Investigator background, and "Dark Gifts" that may be a double-edged sword

•  Unleash nightmarish monsters from an expanded bestiary, and browse a collection of mysterious trinkets

•  Explore Ravenloft in the included Dungeons & Dragons adventure—play as a stand-alone adventure or drop it into your current game for a bit of sinister fun

May 18th!

@Clipper can you mention to Argonvast it says explicitly there that, “and "Dark Gifts" that may be a double-edged sword”. It says, “may”, may.  :quote:

58 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Next D&D Book, after Candlekeep Mysteries has been leaked.

It is...”Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft”!

May 18th!

@Clipper can you mention to Argonvast it says explicitly there that, “and "Dark Gifts" that may be a double-edged sword”. It says, “may”, may.  :quote:

You can tell the Silver Dragon and indeed you could get Rictavio to tell him or the Abbot

However (spoilers for CoS but not spoilers for our campaign)

Spoiler

The silver Dragon spent a years of his life and indeed gave his life trying to protect the Amber temple and keep it's dark gifts from escaping. His whole order, who he brought together, was dedicated to doing what the wizards once did and keep those Dark Gifts sealed away.

It might be quite a high persuasion DC to get him to go against his Life's work :D

13 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Excellent news! All the more reason for Gazes at Weasels to take over from Strahd then, since we're staying in Barovia.

Hide contents

I didn't say that, you said that.

yes of course "Gazes" will take over :DNobody else who might have taken him over nosirreee.

More importantly, I'm very glad they're doing a bit more with the Ravenloft theme.  It's so delicious as a setting.

Seems horror's back in fashion at the moment with the videogame resurgences of Vampire, Werewolf and the recent spate of Cthulhuian games.  The new Warhammer Quest board game is dripping with lovely gothic horror theming also.  I very much approve.

12 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

More importantly, I'm very glad they're doing a bit more with the Ravenloft theme.  It's so delicious as a setting.

Seems it's back in fashin at the moment with the videogame resurgences of Vampire, Werewolf and the recent spate of Cthulhuian games.  The new Warhammer Quest board game is dripping with lovely gothic horror theming also.  I very much approve.

yeah the vampire stuff is great but I do wonder how suited to the 5e system vampires are... 5e can tend towards brute force damage and so vampires can struggle a bit as their "thing" is about a more subtle danger. I love the mesmerising effect of the vampire, it's ability to seduce its prey. I feel that doesn't work as well in the 5e straightjacket and you need to homebrew it just to let it breath a bit - maybe not with the "spawn" but with the vampire himself. Strahd does it quite well but I think there is more room for improvement. Also I think there is room for an extended tale in Barovia beyond the confines of the book.

Maybe this new book will do that?

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Seems horror's back in fashion at the moment with the videogame resurgences of Vampire, Werewolf and the recent spate of Cthulhuian games.  The new Warhammer Quest board game is dripping with lovely gothic horror theming also.  I very much approve.

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

yeah the vampire stuff is great but I do wonder how suited to the 5e system vampires are... 5e can tend towards brute force damage and so vampires can struggle a bit as their "thing" is about a more subtle danger. I love the mesmerising effect of the vampire, it's ability to seduce its prey. I feel that doesn't work as well in the 5e straightjacket and you need to homebrew it just to let it breath a bit - maybe not with the "spawn" but with the vampire himself. Strahd does it quite well but I think there is more room for improvement. Also I think there is room for an extended tale in Barovia beyond the confines of the book.

Maybe this new book will do that?

I’ve never been a fan of Ravenloft. I didn’t dislike it I just wasn’t in to it. I owned I6 but never played it and didn’t play 2e when Ravenloft was massively expanded. 

But I am really enjoying Curse of Strahd. It is very different in tone to vanilla D&D IMO. 

I can see them trying to expand on this as Vampire: The Masquerade's launch stumbled somewhat, and apparently there's an appetite for the Gothic. Why not incorporate those into D&D? TBH I'm happy with steering away from Forgotten Realms which was always the least interesting of the settings to me. I've just been disappointed these last couple of years as they tried to bolt on Magic: The Gathering as a setting instead.

I get why Hasbro wants it and you won't hear me complaining once they adapt the ruleset to include Cybertronians, but oof, exchanging one everything-and-the-kitchensink fantasy setting with another was rather disappointing. Considering how my players seem to gel with Barovia, I'm rather excited for this new book:

Spoiler

With the warlock of the group being poised to usurp Strahd, it could make for an interesting follow-up. Having a new party take down a Dark Power-fueled Gnomish BBEG from Faerun as she tries to 'liberate' the Domains, sounds perfect.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I can see them trying to expand on this as Vampire: The Masquerade's launch stumbled somewhat, and apparently there's an appetite for the Gothic. Why not incorporate those into D&D? TBH I'm happy with steering away from Forgotten Realms which was always the least interesting of the settings to me. I've just been disappointed these last couple of years as they tried to bolt on Magic: The Gathering as a setting instead.

I won’t disagree with you.  5e is effectively my first time playing in Forgotten Realms (although I did own the original 1e boxed set) and it’s a setting I never warmed to, but I am enjoying Clipper’s game. 

I agree with you on the Magic the Gathering settings. Who wanted these?  There are so many D&D settings why create more.