IGNORED

Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Lorfarius

12 hours ago, Kzo said:

Have seen online that some groups are awarded the title to the manor and it's used as a money sink to fix up as a party base.

You might have them run into a travelling vendor with 3-4 items for sale. The module is already fairly generous with strong magic items so I'd opt for the vendor having a few items that might have creative uses but not directly powerful in combat (maybe even a cursed item). This could easily blow through most of their cash.

Maybe Linene has a set of plate in the back room? Sister Garaele might sell a few healing potions or cleric spell scrolls.

This might help with pricing: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices

This generator can help come up with effects that are not too OP: https://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Thanks. This is great, and shows that even though they have some cash, they’re nowhere near being able to afford anything good...

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished running LMoP for a second time (they killed Nezznar last night) and this time has gone a bit smoother, albeit made easier by the players taking a more active interest (specifically one, which has helped a lot). Really enjoyed this campaign, more so than the first time I ran it where it just seemed to run out of steam, for a few different reasons.

Didn't make many changes to the overall structure apart from RP'ing a few of the NPC's slightly differently. They still don't know that the 'Gundren' that has been following them around was the doppelganger, but they'll find that out soon. In the mine I separated the forge a bit more, down longer tunnels, and moved the Wraith to the entrance area. This seemed a bit more in keeping with the overall plot. I did also swap out Nezznar as a Drow Spellcaster for Nezznar as a slightly de-specced Drider Spellcaster, throwing in some spider swarms for effect.

This is my photo montage of the final scene (NSFW, includes swearing and the wizard threw his pants in the forge whereby they burnt up so has being going commando for some time);

Spoiler

2127023633_DDNezznarFinale.thumb.png.de1c5fffd5b644c27045a44e986a86c6.png

I also debuffed some of the magic weapons/armour, removing the +1 but keeping the other effects otherwise it looked like the characters were going to become too powerful.

Going to be running ToA next, had a once over the book and am excited as hell, dinosaur races and fights are going to be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I did my first ever D&D campaign. We did a one shot over zoom that took us around 4 hours and it was a alot of fun. We recorded it for our podcast so I'll post up the link and video when they are done for anyone interested. I think we plan on doing a large campaign next.

The DM has always wanted to play it but never had anyone to do it with so we did one as a podcast team. He also got his friend to draw up some art for each character too for socials and the YT video. 

The artists IG is here

image0-3.thumb.jpg.536c556dc216188cd65f654b57080b7d.jpgimage0-4.thumb.jpg.ae52c5798af5afce0c43e0789c8f6dee.jpgimage0-5.thumb.jpg.b6a1137e218dbaa0dade447fd1e5f38f.jpgimage0-7.thumb.jpg.b1d21f1d7551a33f1e614a13837817d6.jpg

If anyone is interested in listening to our One Shot, the first part is out today and the second part should be out on Monday. The character sheets and map are atatched to the below tweet too.

A little Easter treat. Enjoy.

(p.s. please remember this is the first time all 4 of us have played, so bare with us at times)

• 2 weeks later...

Two different parties. The same campaign. Two  Three and a half years of near monthly play. One crossover event halfway. And now both parties managed to cross the dimensional divide once more and merge their worlds together for the conclusion. :D

afbeelding.thumb.png.ed2afc11d76b7683f08a40e151cd0c9c.png

Kind of weird this is going to happen in Roll20, but yes, two level 16 parties are going to team up against a five-headed dragon deity. :omg: Time to wrap up some loose threads.

As soon as we manage to pick a date. ;P If completed, this'll be my biggest campaign ever really.

https://www.polygon.com/22408233/jeff-goldblum-dungeons-dragons-actual-play-podcast

Actor Jeff Goldblum is joining the cast of a fan-made Dungeons & Dragons podcast called Dark Dice, created and written by Fool and Scholar Productions.

The high-concept audio drama starts out as a traditional session of D&D, complete with dice and a Dungeon Master.

Sequences are then cut, condensed, and performed with additional voice acting, original music, and sound effects.

Episodes featuring the Jurassic Park actor will begin airing for free on May 12.

Also.. the new film has started shooting..

dnd-1.jpg.7c7302f1ab1544ca996fa825673195f6.jpg

I'm going to run ToA, starting in a month or so, and i'm pondering a different starting structure. Everyone admits the written one is poor, and while Cellar of Death seems decent, it does feel a bit like a sledgehammer approach. I'd also like to kick off the death curse itself after the party arrive in Chult, I feel like it will be more interesting that way while NPC's are trying to work out WTF is going on rather than getting a headstart.

My very rough outline (subject to change!) is;

• Party start out as acquaintances in Baldur's Gate where the Flaming Fist are recruiting adventurers to travel into the jungle for fortune and glory (I appreciate this is more contrived than the death curse, but I know the PC's will buy into it)
  • They get an instruction to catch a boat to Chult where they will need to travel onto the Flaming Fist fort to get a charter of exploration
  • They will take a boat to Chult, whereby i'll introduce them to some NPC's (a few adventurers, a Harper agent, others TBC) who could help with some of the less 'Chultian' foreshadowing. As well as presenting some likable NPC's that could suffer the death curse when it hits....
  • The journey takes a few weeks (I think!?), i'll plan some stuff for this but it will gradually highlight the change in climate if nothing else.
  • Aramag encounter when they arrive in the Bay after being attacked by a pirate ship 

At this point I would expect them (which means it won't happen) to head to the Fort quickly, but they will then be advised to return to the Port to prepare, rather than heading straight into the jungle.

I might randomise the start of the death curse for a bit of fun, (1 on a D20 rolled each day?). I think it will be fun for certain aspects of it to be revealed, but to avoid forcing the party directly to Omu.

Does this all sound a bit ridiculous? There are a few holes that need to be sorted but I quite like the flow and opportunities sit might present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought some more D&D books. In the excitement for starting a new campaign I’ve treat myself to Mordecainen’s Tome of Foes, Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything and the Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign book (no peeking I promise, @Clipper). I’ve amassed quite the collection, now! 

4F755D46-CE1D-4C20-8CE1-CDDE03CFA380.thumb.jpeg.f71420981eeb3f0e98d125a8db80b9de.jpeg

Funny thing is, I’ve only ever actually played D&D once, when I DM’d the starter set adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver for people on this very forum, a group I’m very happy to see is still going strong years later (holy shit has it really been almost five years since we started that campaign?!?) thanks to Clipper, @Mogster, @Sardan @MDY and co keeping the lanterns burning. I like to think it was my superb (read: very new and inexperienced) DM skills that put them on this path and not me deciding to step away and Clipper taking over that kept them on it :lol: Really looking forward to rejoining the party as a player this time. 

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Just bought some more D&D books. In the excitement for starting a new campaign I’ve treat myself to Mordecainen’s Tome of Foes, Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything and the Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign book (no peeking I promise, @Clipper). I’ve amassed quite the collection, now! 

4F755D46-CE1D-4C20-8CE1-CDDE03CFA380.thumb.jpeg.f71420981eeb3f0e98d125a8db80b9de.jpeg

Great stuff. 

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Funny thing is, I’ve only ever actually played D&D once, when I DM’d the starter set adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver for people on this very forum, a group I’m very happy to see is still going strong years later (holy shit has it really been almost five years since we started that campaign?!?) thanks to Clipper, @Mogster, @Sardan @MDY and co keeping the lanterns burning. I like to think it was my superb (read: very new and inexperienced) DM skills that put them on this path and not me deciding to step away and Clipper taking over that kept them on it :lol: Really looking forward to rejoining the party as a player this time. 

A thank you from me for starting it here. I love my Sunday night gaming with you guys. :wub:

I started a long long time ago, had stopped by the time I went to university (girls and other distractions); started again with a group a friend I worked with introduced me to circa 2000 and stopped when I moved in 2006. Restarting with you guys has been great for me. Thank you all. 

I’ve been checking out D&D beyond to make my new character and, apart from the fact they monetise everything (which is understandable but annoying when you’ve bought a physical book and then either have to rebuy it digitally or buy little chunks of it), it’s pretty damn good. The pathfinder game I’ve been playing for two years was always a bit of a hassle to track spells and items and stuff using a clunky excel spreadsheet, but D&D beyond seems genuinely excellent. 

My DM has bought an awful lot of stuff in there which has meant we’ve had access to it all through linking our characters to campaigns. 

We use the Avrae bot in discord and all rolls and checks are done through the webpage which all syncs. 

Have only played remotely since lockdown but I would really struggle I think doing IRL now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First guests announced for this year's D&DLive..

https://g4tv.com/dndlive

Jack Black, Reggie Watts, Lauren Lapkus, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes and one special guest will bring the thunder to G4’s production

Dungeons & Dragons and G4 have assembled a studious and accomplished crew of adventurers to bring D&D Live 2021 to life on July 16 & 17. The two-day event will feature continuous entertainment designed for fans’ enjoyment including essential information on upcoming D&D storylines, Magic: The Gathering sets, and secret projects. Four two-hour D&D games will be presented and today D&D announced the lineup of one extremely consequential table G4 is dubbing Lost Odyssey: Last Light. Veteran daredevils known for perfecting the science of swashbuckling, Jack Black, Reggie Watts, Lauren Lapkus, Kevin Smith, and Jason Mewes will be led by stern Dungeon Master Kate Welch in a very serious investigation into dragons, krakens and sea giant queens. Another very special guest will be making an appearance and will be revealed closer to the event.

• 4 weeks later...

D&D Live 2021 starts tomorrow...

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/dndlive2021

Dungeons & Dragons and G4 have assembled a studious and accomplished crew of adventurers to bring D&D Live 2021 to life on July 16 & 17. The two-day event will feature continuous entertainment designed for fans’ enjoyment including essential information on upcoming D&D storylines, Magic: The Gathering sets, and secret projects.

D&D Live 2021

The character sheets are filled, the campaigns exhaustively researched—and it’s finally time for the annual star-studded adventure, D&D Live!  Streaming on Peacock as well as all Dungeons & Dragons and G4 digital platforms, D&D Live is rolling with full initiative to deliver laughs, escapades, and exclusive reveals.

All streaming on D&D Twitch or D&D Youtube

image.thumb.png.8de606d939b59ea6f742371854327f82.png

3pm Friday (EST) = 8pm Friday UK

7pm Friday (EST) = midnight UK

10pm Friday (EST) = 3am Saturday UK

Streams have previously been available after screening on Twitch and uploaded on Youtube shortly after if previous events are anything to go by..

..they're not all exactly brilliant times for the UK..

8:45pm Friday UK

The Chaos Carnival Table featuring some of the WWE’s most adventurous superstars! Leading the table on its quest for completion is Dungeon Master Aabria Iyengar, who will help the WWE Superstars navigate the Chaos Carnival.

DDL_2_1920x1080_6942e07e97.jpg

Midnight Sautrday UK

The cast from Peacock’s hit comedy A.P. BIO will bring their expertise in the Krebs Cycle of frost giants to The Palace of the Vampire Queen Table, led by graduate-level Dungeon Master B. Dave Walters.

DDL_4_1920x1080_58fcea6ab2.jpg

3am Saturday UK

Product Reveal: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight

dnd_wildbeyondwitchlight_dndlive_th.png
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time. Tune into D&D Live 2021 for details including new characters, monsters, mechanics, and story hooks suitable for players of all ages and experience levels.

Saturday 9pm UK

The Lost Odyssey: Last Light Table

Veteran daredevils known for perfecting the science of swashbuckling, Jack Black, Reggie Watts, Lauren Lapkus, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, and actress, comedian, and chaotic good best-selling author Tiffany Haddish will be led by stern Dungeon Master Kate Welch in a very serious investigation into dragons, krakens and sea giant queens.

8gBpb2Cbnq.png

Midnight Sunday UK

The Flubbybonks and Guzzleshucks Table

Popular streamers DrLupo and Negaoryx will join comedian Ify Nwadiwe and G4 cast members Kevin Pereira, Adam Sessler, and Fiona Nova for The Flubbybonks and Guzzleshucks Table, a title we landed on after running “Pereira and Sessler” through a gnomish wizard name generator. Leading the table on its adventure is Dungeon Master Amy Vorpahl, a tabletop pro and real-life bard in the key of D&D. Amy also serves as the head writer for D&D Live 2021.

DDL_3_1920x1080_1_76bb9bba2b.jpg

3am Sunday UK

Beadle & Grimm’s Faster, Purple Worm! Kill! Kill! Table

D&D veterans B. Dave Walters, Xander Jeanneret, Deborah Ann Woll, and Seth Green will improvise their way through a doomed campaign to hunt a massive monster with a challenge rating the size of the moon. Hosted by Bill Rehor and run by DM Jon Ciccolini, both from Beadle & Grimm’s, this one-hour session is unlikely to roll critical hits but sure to score critical laughs (unfortunately the monster has maxed comedy resistance).

DDL_5_1920x1080_2652601ffa.jpg

6 minutes ago, MDY said:

dnd_wildbeyondwitchlight_dndlive_th.png
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time. Tune into D&D Live 2021 for details including new characters, monsters, mechanics, and story hooks suitable for players of all ages and experience levels.

Oooh now that sounds interesting - a different sort of environment hopefully giving us some new areas of D&D to explore.