Your bargain finds!

michael

Picked up the Street Fighter deck building game in my FLGS the other day for £9 (picture shows a tenner, but there was an extra 10% off everything!)

Figured it was worth a punt at that price - I've played a couple of the other Cryptozoic deck builders and quite like the system :D

post-2767-0-42038600-1451820006_thumb.jp

Guten tag! Ich habe drei spielen von Deutschland!

I couldn't decide whether to buy or not, and in the end I did for £2 each I got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayfair-Catan-Histories-Struggle-Board/dp/B000N8NI2Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1452098015&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=settlers+of+catan+rome

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayfair-Games-Settlers-Catan/dp/B000021Y68/ref=sr_1_3?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1452098033&sr=1-3&keywords=settlers+of+catan+card+game

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-Man-Games-Babel-Board-Game/dp/B00HTG5210/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1452098090&sr=1-2&keywords=babel

Except, as my no doubt broken German suggests...In German. Anyone played any of them? I've had a look and the first two look Extremely Difficult in German, but I think Babel looks doable.

I've had a look and the first two look Extremely Difficult in German, but I think Babel looks doable.

Bit of an irony, there.

One of the charity shops in York had a Catan: The Card Game in German, but I passed it by as it looked very text heavy.

Bit of an irony, there.

One of the charity shops in York had a Catan: The Card Game in German, but I passed it by as it looked very text heavy.

I'm in hipster East London. I'm pretty sure you made the right choice though, just not the sort of thing you can leave and ponder. If it had been a junk shop I'd have left it, but the worst that has happened is I've given Oxfam a couple of quid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread fills me with envy. The best I have found in a charity shop, ever, was a minty copy of Stratego, which I still play quite often. Aside from that, only dirty copies of monopoly or cluedo.

This thread fills me with envy. The best I have found in a charity shop, ever, was a minty copy of Stratego, which I still play quite often. Aside from that, only dirty copies of monopoly or cluedo.

• 2 months later...

I got Zhanguo from what's your game for £2 delivered. Had a voucher for doing some online questionnaires and it was heavily discounted because its the Polish version. The game is language independent and the only way you'd notice it was not the English version is the blurb on the back of the box.

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2016 at 17:35, smac said:

Saw an old MB games PacMan in a bric-a-brac shop this weekend.

For 20 quid!

I had forgotten that I had picked one up for 4 quid in a charity shop 2 years ago (as reported in this thread) and wondered if it was a bargain or not.

• 2 weeks later...

£1 at the car boot:

b4a4addb95e1d8390b17ffa1361f8288.jpg

It's all there, and runs smooth as silk. Seems to be the slightly smaller variant. For the unfamiliar, this is a kids dexterity game which became a cult hit in serious board gaming circles thanks to the advocacy of Alan R Moon.

Looking forward to deploying this as an ice-breaker at my next games night.

• 5 months later...

It looks as if this thread is dying a death, but I've been waiting years to put something in here. Well, a year maybe. 18 months tops.

Anyway, complete Warhammer: Diskwars core set for £2. 

Right, there, I've done it. Phew. Bit of an anti-climax, if I'm honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up an 80s Ravensberger copy of The aMAZEing Labyrinth from my local charity shop for £1.50 today. All there barring one of the player pieces, which are easily subbed. This was an SDJ runner up in '86, and has been pretty much continually in print since, under various names.

Had my eye on this one as one to play with my kids, and it was a hit on the first outing. It's a proper modern boardgame - no roll and move, and some nice strategy. You have a grid of tiles, with some fixed but whole rows/columns moveable. The tiles form a random maze, which is naturally full of dead ends, and some have treasures on them. Players are dealt treasure cards and have to get to the treasure on their topmost card, from their corner starting location.

The fun part is how you transform the maze - there's one more tile than there are spaces on the grid, so there's always a spare tile. On your turn, you slide the spare tile onto the end of one of the moveable rows/columns, adjusting the maze layout for the whole row/column, and forcing another tile off the other end to be the new spare. You can then move your piece any number of tiles, provided there's a connected path, to try and reach the treasure.

Barring a few edge cases, that's it - a short rule sheet, and one great mechanic underpinning it all.

I was impressed with how quickly my daughter worked out that it was sometimes better to use her tile to disrupt my plans than to advance hers - like when I flookily drew a new treasure that was connected to my old one. She quickly broke up the corridor between me and the treasure, which wasn't easily fixed.

On 20/02/2017 at 22:47, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Look what my mum found in a charity shop the other week. That is not me in the picture so I'm massively jealous.

How much did she pay for it?

I've seen it twice - I picked up a copy for something like 4 quid a couple of years ago, then saw it again last year for 20 quid!

No idea, I didn't ask. There's no chance my mum would have paid £20 for a second hand board game though.

On 21/02/2017 at 01:51, RetroPlays said:

Watched a video on that pacman game on youtube over the weekend and wanted it since lol looks like it would be a laugh

As a kid I had a friend who had it and my main memory of it is the fantastic action that pac man has for collecting the balls. A super satisfying clunk and he gobbles it right up.

Loved it when I was seven.

14 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

No idea, I didn't ask. There's no chance my mum would have paid £20 for a second hand board game though.

Yeah, the shop I saw it in was chancing their arm on a 'classic' from the 80s... eBay scalpers have a lot to answer for.

I've picked up several of these MB games for less than a fiver each; interesting little group to try to collect. Mechanics of the Defender game are quite clever.

I recall seeing that amazing pacman game when I was a kid, way back in the 80's. I'm pretty sure it was advertised on TV + I was in Witham, Essex seeing friends - and we walked into a shop and it was there.

I recall clearly how beautiful it was and how much I wanted it. I never got it. Great find :)