Rocky

Robo_1

Just picked this up yesterday, (as I was getting a bit sick of Soul Calibur 2) and still felt like a good fighter. After two days solid play, it's turned out to be great fun.

It's an easy game to pick up, but there is plenty to learn. The A.I is extremely impressive, probably the most impressive fighting A.I I've come across. By the time your standing toe to toe with Ivan Drago, you really have to employ every boxing trick you've learnt to knock him out. What's also nice is the character profiles. In them the characters trainer makes notes on his characters strengh and weaknesses. These skills, - or lack of - are clearly evident when fighting against that character.

The controls feel natural, and the franchise has certainly been treated with respect, though who on Earth they brought in to do Drago's voice I'll never know. He sounds a bit like a German Steven Hawking.

The training sections start out tough, but after a few attempts, you really get into the swing of it.

So yeah, I imagine this game can be found at a good price nowadays, and you could certainly do a lot worse if you're looking for a fighting game to get into. Makes Rage's departure even worse :o But at least they left on a winner :lol:

For me boxing games are all about the 2D ones... ive not palyed rocky but ive played...

Redy to Rumble

Victorius Boxers (i.e hajime no ippo)

and none of them where as good as old Super Punch out (not played Mike Tysons Punch Out).... and then along came the recent (about a year old) hajime no ippo for the GBA which is my favorote boxing game period... fast paced and uses the licence really well... you wouldnt do too bad to give super punch out or hajime no ippo GBA a go too...

For me boxing games are all about the 2D ones... ive not palyed rocky but ive played...

Redy to Rumble

Victorius Boxers (i.e hajime no ippo)

and none of them where as good as old Super Punch out (not played Mike Tysons Punch Out).... and then along came the recent (about a year old) hajime no ippo for the GBA which is my favorote boxing game period... fast paced and uses the licence really well... you wouldnt do too bad to give super punch out or hajime no ippo GBA a go too...

I had a similar opinion until recently. I picked up Ready 2 Rumble: Round 2 and it really seemed messy. The key to Rockys' success is IMO, it's simple controls, and the strong opponent A.I. I'd give it a rental if you like boxing games, but honestly, I knew Edge liked the game (they gave it an eight I believe) but I wasn't expecting much. I've been very pleasently suprised though, so I really would give it a go if you like fighting games.

Its magic multiplayer.

Nice to see Drago stuffing Rocky, and Mickey finally getting his own back on Clubber Lang.

Alas the AI lets its down somewhat in single player, but until you find out how to beat it every time its a pretty good challenge.

Excellent title and one you will return to again and again (if you have pals to play it with).

Alas the AI lets its down somewhat in single player, but until you find out how to beat it every time its a pretty good challenge.

That's odd, I've found the A.I to be top shelf. I mean the characters seem to know exactly where to go for at the right time, and they also know when to hang back to recharge and when to throw the killer punches.

Out of interest though, how do you unlock Mickey?

It's great. The game offers a really satisfying feel of fighting, just like the classic Super Punch-Out. Trouble is, I have the GC version, and the pad lets the game down - it really should be played with a pad like the SNES' where all 'face' buttons are the same size. It'd play loads better with a Super NES pad actually, as digital control and shoulder buttons would make your character feel more responsive. Still, I think Rocky is a must-buy for the Xbox, 'specially as it's now dirt cheap.

It's great. The game offers a really satisfying feel of fighting, just like the classic Super Punch-Out. Trouble is, I have the GC version, and the pad lets the game down - it really should be played with a pad like the SNES' where all 'face' buttons are the same size. It'd play loads better with a Super NES pad actually, as digital control and shoulder buttons would make your character feel more responsive. Still, I think Rocky is a must-buy for the Xbox, 'specially as it's now dirt cheap.

YOU SEE. PHYSICS BOY. THATS THEY KEY.

Theres not many fighting games that you can actually call satifiying like this is.

I've never had so much fun fighting a graphic.

Anyone else remember the Frank Bruno one from way back on the Amstrad.

It was full of incredibly stereotypical racial characters, the sort of thing you couldn't get away with nowadays.

Scariest thing is, I sat there for a weekend once and finished it!

Agree with all the positive comments above regarding Rocky. Everyone should own this for multiplayer, particularly as it is so cheap.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Anyone else remember the Frank Bruno one from way back on the Amstrad.

It was full of incredibly stereotypical racial characters, the sort of thing you couldn't get away with nowadays.

Scariest thing is, I sat there for a weekend once and finished it!

Agree with all the positive comments above regarding Rocky. Everyone should own this for multiplayer, particularly as it is so cheap.

Frank Bruno was a rip off of Punch out on the NES :)

Actually, the Master System version of Rocky was good for its time.

I remember being in some gaming shop near Tooting BR station and seeing the massive gold letters scroll across for the first time (upgrading from a C64).

I bought one after that.

Out of interest though, how do you unlock Mickey?

I think you have to beat the movie mode on the hardest difficulty setting. Quite a bit harder that the normal difficulty setting. (as it should be)

He even boxes with his beany on. :)

I found the AI sufferes by being 'sucker' punched by a single move that will work irrespective of difficulty setting. I try not to use it, but its a very tempting get out of jail free card should things start sliding.

Pray you don't find it. But even if you do the satisfaction of wolloping your opponent still shines through.

Pray you don't find it. But even if you do the satisfaction of wolloping your opponent still shines through.

I found it easily, and waltzed through the game to unlock the characters.

It's only ever played in my house for it's multiplayer, where it definitely excels. There's a real feel of a championship bout going on.

I played the demo and decided not to buy it because I found the move to make me win everytime, and its annoying because its hard not to use it, because there are some moments where I would genuinly want to use it even if I didn't know, this one glitch makes me give it a 3/10.