rllmuk
jonnyalpha

What are you playing?

Suitably nerdy day today with Space Marine Adventures tried out for the first time.  It's a lovely little light and inexpensive game which I've rightly seen described as Space Crusade meets Pandemic.  Great if you want a 30 minute flavour of shifting a few miniatures around and rolling dice in a 40k setting.

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.cf2b6962b20a5040e1078a2db5b4dba1.JPG

And also some more co-op Journeys over Skype this morning.  This was a really cool mission which I won't spoil, but it was half combat half puzzle and a really neat change of pace.  You can see the set-up we use with the iPad and it works brilliantly.

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.78ae4f75ce087a19c7b8e1fcb478deb3.JPG

Edit - yes, every flat surface in my house is covered in a board game or Lego.

• Upvote 7

@Nathan Wind we’ve been playing space marines too. Kids love it. Level 2 kicked our arse over and over but we rinsed level 3 without a scratch!

kids are painting a couple of the marines. 

Level 1 just kicked my butt having stuck the two extra enemy activation cards back in the deck for a bit more spice.  When those spawns get out of control it's quite easy to get swamped.  That second go was actually quite exciting with two deaths and the activation deck running out with one of my team extracted and the other just one square away!  Enjoyable little game. 

19 hours ago, And said:

@Nathan Wind we’ve been playing space marines too. Kids love it. Level 2 kicked our arse over and over but we rinsed level 3 without a scratch!

kids are painting a couple of the marines. 

You're not wrong.  Level 2 adds some nasty stuff!

The lovely guy who owns Travelling Man sent me my order of Unmatched. It really is a lot of fun. Really quick, not ‘deep’, but with enough to it to mean you need your wits about you, as well as luck. Chasing each other around the board, choosing when to attack, and the balance of the different characters (Sinbad vs Medusa vs Alice vs King Arthur), is great. 

But it’s the sheer quality of the materials that makes it a pleasure to play. The card design is exceptional. 

26F2752F-57F2-4F6E-98AF-546A22D8637D.jpeg

I really want the Bruce Lee and Jurassic Park expansions now. Clever girls…

• Upvote 5

Lockdown, Day 693 - Squad Lorenzo have gone out to do a bit of work while Squad Gideon stay at home and wash the Mondeo.

Brother Omnio absolutely shitting his terminator armour at the rearguard there after getting two bolter jams in a row on overwatch last turn, allowing all those lovely monsters to get right up in his face.  Press F to pay respects.

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.de1c7a7e61a80535e5a05a0414f4c1f1.JPG

• Upvote 2

In stark contrast to yesterday's massive production values in Space Hulk, today we have the tiny production values of my own scribbles in Four Against Darkness. 

Dave, Alan, Carol and Margot headed into the dungeon with barely anything save their starting equipment thanks to shocking gold rolls so they were hoping to make their fortune, and it went pretty smoothly up until the round room at the north.  They dispatched a couple of orcs and a minotaur with very little fuss and looted a few decent bits of treasure, despite Dave picking up a nasty curse.  Then they met Sally, the small dragon.  She ate Carol (press F to pay respects) and mauled the others pretty badly before laughing in their faces and fucking off.  It was a harrowing encounter.  I've left it there for today.

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.42f474f1c5c0912b54760186dc4f04b7.JPG

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

@Nathan WindI've just ordered some of the 4AD books, where did you print out the sheet that you're using there? It looks pretty handy, I've been browsing BGG but not found the same one. Anything else you would recommend for 4AD?

Bag of Dungeon hit the table for the first time today.  It's an inexpensive little indie game with a fair bit of new content to print and play on the website as well as slightly clearer revised rules.  It played smoothly as is though, and the included rules covered everything that came up in my first go.  It uses a simple action point based system for laying tiles and exploring the dungeon, with monsters and items drawn blindly from bags.  Combat is a straightforward opposing d6 + modifier system with the losing side taking the difference as damage.  Doubles are crits.

The objective is to explore the dungeon until you find the exit tile, which spawns a ring you need to go and grab before making your way to the exit for a final showdown with the dragon.  Similarly to Four Against Darkness above, the basic black and white artwork is quite evocative of those old indie mail order RPG's and games of my youth. It comes with a few different game modes for solo, co-op and team based play, and also a deck of cards which add some extra meat to the proceedings giving different quests or gameplay twists.  All in all, a very neat little package.

Edit - obviously I died.  It's hard.

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.fb36e5ad8fa7e990e2861f68e29feaa9.JPG

• Upvote 1

How many different dungeon crawlers do you have? That's another one I've never heard of, interesting stuff.

Looking for a recommendation. We're after something thematic with reasonably good story/scenarios and plays in a couple of hours. Ideally something with a modest component count as we're currently playing on our living room floor due to our dining table being used as a desk. I have Imperial Assault (and we like it) but we generally leave it out and play a few nights in a row - not something we can do at the moment. We have Arkham Horror (none-LCG) but our first experience was not a good one and I don't think either of us are in love with the theme. We do really like Last Night on Earth and play it with friends reasonably regularly so something with a similar complexity and play time would be a great fit. We're also playing TTR, Barenpark, Azul and 7 Wonders Duel so it's to add something a bit different to those. Even a simple(ish) miniatures game might not go amiss, but might take a bit more persuasion.

26 minutes ago, phresh said:

Looking for a recommendation. We're after something thematic with reasonably good story/scenarios and plays in a couple of hours. Ideally something with a modest component count as we're currently playing on our living room floor due to our dining table being used as a desk. I have Imperial Assault (and we like it) but we generally leave it out and play a few nights in a row - not something we can do at the moment. We have Arkham Horror (none-LCG) but our first experience was not a good one and I don't think either of us are in love with the theme. We do really like Last Night on Earth and play it with friends reasonably regularly so something with a similar complexity and play time would be a great fit. We're also playing TTR, Barenpark, Azul and 7 Wonders Duel so it's to add something a bit different to those. Even a simple(ish) miniatures game might not go amiss, but might take a bit more persuasion.

Have you played Pandemic before?  I think that maybe one of the legacy games, probably season one could be a good fit if you enjoy the base game. :)  It starts out very similar to the base game, and rules and things unlock the more you progress in the story.  It's probably one of my favourite gaming experiences.  I don't want to say too much because of spoilers!

I've recently bought Aeons End Legacy, it's more of a deck builder than a board board game but again rules and things unlock as you progress through the chapters of the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phresh said:

You could look at Near and Far which is a story based campaign game which doesn't require a lot of housekeeping between sessions since only experience points carry over and are recorded on the character cards. It's also fairly compact in play and lasts for 2 hours max a session.  Might be a good intro into the whole skills check genre and offers both story and character campaigns in the same package. 

-- - - -

I also backed bag of dungeon and it didn't work for me at all. I can't remember the exact details but the first couple of games were a complete wipe extremely early, like the first enemy or something ridiculous and there was just no way to progress at all. I thought that was poor design to be honest. 

-------

Currently mid way through a first story campaign of Near and far,  and also started a Too Many Bones campaign  (the last hitherto untouched UK con purchase ).  It''s rather good.

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

How many different dungeon crawlers do you have? That's another one I've never heard of, interesting stuff.

Compared to a lot of board gamers my collection is pretty modest actually.  It's just that living alone during the lockdown has afforded me the luxury of getting them out and being able to leave them set up, but I'm back to work now so it's back to mainly weekend gaming.  I've got Descent on the way and I'm very tempted by Mansions of Madness but other than those there isn't really much on my radar until whenever the next Nemesis Kickstarter goes live. 

I don't have the attention span for convoluted games unless I'm playing with someone else so I tend to play fairly simple games that are quick to set up, play and put away. I'm afraid I'm just a fan of shoving miniatures around and rolling dice so dungeon crawlers quite often fit that bill.  I like wargames too, but don't often get the chance to play.  Have a shelfie.

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.962e11e8b391ba438080669f61524c0a.JPG

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I also backed bag of dungeon and it didn't work for me at all. I can't remember the exact details but the first couple of games were a complete wipe extremely early, like the first enemy or something ridiculous and there was just no way to progress at all. I thought that was poor design to be honest.

Yeah, I had another couple of games this afternoon and one was like that.  Some of the enemies are unreal, but I really like that.  I gravitate towards stuff like DungeonQuest and the D&D Adventure games which all have that nasty element.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah, I had another couple of games this afternoon and one was like that.  Some of the enemies are unreal, but I really like that.  I gravitate towards stuff like DungeonQuest and the D&D Adventure games which all have that nasty element.

I don't mind nasty usually.  I mean games such as Dungeon Degenerates and S&S can turn really vicious really quickly, and those moments, alongside the upswings of luck along the way provide memorable moments (I completed a.game arc of DD for the first time just recently after maybe 4 attempts).   Maybe I should have given bag of dungeon longer.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Compared to a lot of board gamers my collection is pretty modest actually.  It's just that living alone during the lockdown has afforded me the luxury of getting them out and being able to leave them set up, but I'm back to work now so it's back to mainly weekend gaming.  I've got Descent on the way and I'm very tempted by Mansions of Madness but other than those there isn't really much on my radar until whenever the next Nemesis Kickstarter goes live. 

I don't have the attention span for convoluted games unless I'm playing with someone else so I tend to play fairly simple games that are quick to set up, play and put away. I'm afraid I'm just a fan of shoving miniatures around and rolling dice so dungeon crawlers quite often fit that bill.  I like wargames too, but don't often get the chance to play.  Have a shelfie.

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.962e11e8b391ba438080669f61524c0a.JPG

Nice to see you've still got Memoir 44 – I'm glad it went to a good home.

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Currently mid way through a first story campaign of Near and far,  and also started a Too Many Bones campaign  (the last hitherto untouched UK con purchase ).  It''s rather good.

Ooooh what gearlocs have you gone with?  Also true solo?

I've had Too Many Bones sitting unplayed for a couple of years, bar one initial set up and quick go - it's one I keep meaning to get around to. :) 

1 hour ago, Professor Rob said:

Nice to see you've still got Memoir 44 – I'm glad it went to a good home.

Yes! I love a bit of Memoir, it's going nowhere.

• Upvote 1

So an initial run through of mage knight with the Ricky Royal tutorial to help guide me. Despite that I still issued a ton of little rules. Will play through a few more times till I get the basics and then try the “proper” game. 
Certainly a great solo puzzle though - can see why it gets so much praise. 

• Upvote 1

7th Continent (Ultra-Easy mode...we should have failed)

The VIcious Godess is FINALLY complete. Only 20 hours and some mild cheating later...

I still really like the mechanics of this but the punishing difficulty is horrid. I think it's meant ot be played again and again with benefit of knowledge/experience to maike right calls but it's really relly hard. Was hoping for more of an adventure than a repeat play puzzle.

I think we're planning on doing another one.

• Upvote 1

As mentioned above, I recently bought and have been playing Aeons End: Legacy (New Age is sitting in the wings!) 

I sailed through the first three chapters, relatively comfortable wins. I’m playing solo with two breach mages. I faced Chapter 4 yesterday and got utterly splatted within the first couple of turns. The nemesis had back to back first turns, which saw minions appear that hacked away at my health AND discard my economy so there was little I could do on my turns. And then it went back to back again on the second turn with unleashing a ton. 

Chapter 4: 

Spoiler

Fungal Mesh - when he unleashes I have to fire off one of my prepped spells at my base dealing the damage and if it is a low cost card it is then destroyed. The thing also bloody heals! With my economy being destroyed AND my low level spells, it’s going to be tough to beat. A lot of the minions are doing persistent damage and card discarding too. :( 

I’m not too sure what strategy I need to use against this nemesis! It seems very unforgiving  but I’ll be giving it another go after work. :)

Really enjoying what I have played so far.

13 hours ago, Rikku said:

Ooooh what gearlocs have you gone with?  Also true solo?

I've had Too Many Bones sitting unplayed for a couple of years, bar one initial set up and quick go - it's one I keep meaning to get around to. :) 

I'm running with Patches, Tantrum and Picket, which is.not ideal since they are all melee. However they all correspond to the clichéd roles of medic/buffer, tank and damage dealer so there is that.  The campaign framework takes you through all the (randomly selected) tyrants back to back but each run will have different conditions determined by the individual campaign card used. This means you may have less time than normal for a particular tyrant.  You typically retain 2-4 training points and some loot.  There are also scars which the gearlocs pick up before each run and this is where it gets really interesting - for example Picket cannot train Dexterity,  which leaves him with just 2 dice to roll each turn.  If your party is totally wiped you may draw a boon and some of these remove scars.  There are also more day 1-3 encounter cards to stop this part of the game getting totally tedious.   So far I've defeated Mulmesh  and Marrow and today's target is the goblin king.  I'm not particularly confident about getting all 7 down but in one run but I like the structure - as opposed to randomly picking a single target.

Just ordered Horrified, really looking forward to playing with the family. 

In other news, Spell Smashers has some money off at the moment at Zatu. I mentioned it a few pages back (around Xmas time). Very recommended if you have kids who are good at writing/spelling. Can be challenging, but my son and I like it a lot. We sometimes play against each other, or we play the solo game together. https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/spell-smasher/

• Upvote 1

Woohoo! Looking forward to this. Got to love that cover. 

43B67076-656B-44C8-8E1C-0AA24780B7F6.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Thanks for linking to that. I've not seen it and we've really enjoyed Horrified when we've played it.

It's made with such love for the source material and the quality of the components is great. Depending on the monsters you choose it can get surprisingly tough and thinky too.  It's Ravensburger and got lots of attention on mainstream media sites so I think it can be easy to write off as just a 'light' game or a 'kids' game, but it's really good!

On 22/04/2020 at 14:34, Nathan Wind said:

In stark contrast to yesterday's massive production values in Space Hulk, today we have the tiny production values of my own scribbles in Four Against Darkness. 

Dave, Alan, Carol and Margot headed into the dungeon with barely anything save their starting equipment thanks to shocking gold rolls so they were hoping to make their fortune, and it went pretty smoothly up until the round room at the north.  They dispatched a couple of orcs and a minotaur with very little fuss and looted a few decent bits of treasure, despite Dave picking up a nasty curse.  Then they met Sally, the small dragon.  She ate Carol (press F to pay respects) and mauled the others pretty badly before laughing in their faces and fucking off.  It was a harrowing encounter.  I've left it there for today.

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.42f474f1c5c0912b54760186dc4f04b7.JPG

On 22/04/2020 at 18:27, jonnyalpha said:

@Nathan WindI've just ordered some of the 4AD books, where did you print out the sheet that you're using there? It looks pretty handy, I've been browsing BGG but not found the same one. Anything else you would recommend for 4AD?

Have you guys played anymore of 4AD? I’ve been playing some print’n’play solo games recently and was wondering if this plus a few campaign expansions would be worth getting in pdf form.