Jump to content

What are you playing?


Recommended Posts

New Frontiers fixes both the “solved” and slavery issues of PR, while tickling most of the same brain cells and having the usual wonderful Race To The Galaxy art.
 

I wish I managed to get it on the table more often. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

New Frontiers fixes both the “solved” and slavery issues of PR, while tickling most of the same brain cells and having the usual wonderful Race To The Galaxy art.
 

I wish I managed to get it on the table more often. 

That’s one I’d love to play 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, therearerules said:

That’s one I’d love to play 

 

Likewise! Have you resumed physical gaming yet, or sticking to online stuff for now?

 

I'm also keen to give Favour of the Pharoah its first outing, as well as give Die of the Dead a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played my first in person game yesterday- we had another household around.B9105C2A-3429-4E07-80A8-B4227AEC5241.thumb.jpeg.fffd58356aeeb2883eec1adeff9a44f4.jpeg

 

Destination X. Won thanks to our teammate knowing the capital of Tajikistan.

 

I’d like to play games again in person. Small group, masked and sanitised. I asked on the BM WhatsApp group, and got a mixed response.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since, i've met my new lady friend we have been playing lots of games with her next-door neighbours. 

 

They are big into Game of Thrones so we have been dabbling in GOT Risk which is a lot of fun but her daughter can't join in as at 11 she struggles a little with the quick maths.

 

So for her i picked up Exploding Kittens which with the basic rules we had a great laugh with (Can anyone else recommend anything similar please and if possible cheap as she wants to use her pocket money to treat us) 

 

And again when it's just us adults we have been playing Cards Against Humanity, Dirty Minds and Life Hacks.

 

Life Hacks is great because even if you don't get the right answer we have learnt so many decent life hacks from the cards themselves! No seriously it was worth the tenner for the useful information. 

 

I was looking at Top Gun but my only local option is waterstones and i dont want to pay £34.99 for a game with a £19.99 RRP.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently running an online RP and it's going well. I was particularly pleased this evening as I needed the group to have a conversation with an NPC who is basically a dreadful person - pretty racist, pretty hyper-capitalist, pretty entitled to whatever he wants whenever he wants it. I decided than rather be too obvious with it all, I'd downplay it a bit - like, he didn't say racist things, just talked about stuff like "unfavourable demographics in that city borough, you can't do business like you used to be able to". That sort of thing.

 

The first thing one of the player characters said when they were out of earshot was "I don't say this lightly or often... but what a fucking piece of shit".

 

So I pitched that one pretty well. Hurrah! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 11:55, Arn Ironjaw said:

Since, i've met my new lady friend we have been playing lots of games with her next-door neighbours. 

 

They are big into Game of Thrones so we have been dabbling in GOT Risk which is a lot of fun but her daughter can't join in as at 11 she struggles a little with the quick maths.

 

So for her i picked up Exploding Kittens which with the basic rules we had a great laugh with (Can anyone else recommend anything similar please and if possible cheap as she wants to use her pocket money to treat us) 

 

And again when it's just us adults we have been playing Cards Against Humanity, Dirty Minds and Life Hacks.

 

Life Hacks is great because even if you don't get the right answer we have learnt so many decent life hacks from the cards themselves! No seriously it was worth the tenner for the useful information. 

 

I was looking at Top Gun but my only local option is waterstones and i dont want to pay £34.99 for a game with a £19.99 RRP.

 

 

 

You might find yourself one day browsing the shelves of a board game store, looking for something to play with your new ladyfriend and her friends, and your eyes might alight on the Game of Thrones board game, and you might think "Ah-ha!  The perfect game to play with my GoT-loving friends!"  Take my advice - do not play the GoT board game with anyone you would like to remain on friendly terms with.  It is the destroyer of friendships, the breaker of families.  My sister to this day descends into a angry silence if one particularly brutal betrayal is brought up, a betrayal from a game that happened over five years ago.  It is a very good game, but it is absolutely sadistic in the way it encourages the kind of terrible behaviour that would fit into the books. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I'm currently running an online RP and it's going well. I was particularly pleased this evening as I needed the group to have a conversation with an NPC who is basically a dreadful person - pretty racist, pretty hyper-capitalist, pretty entitled to whatever he wants whenever he wants it. I decided than rather be too obvious with it all, I'd downplay it a bit - like, he didn't say racist things, just talked about stuff like "unfavourable demographics in that city borough, you can't do business like you used to be able to". That sort of thing.

 

The first thing one of the player characters said when they were out of earshot was "I don't say this lightly or often... but what a fucking piece of shit".

 

So I pitched that one pretty well. Hurrah! 


 

Which RPG?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:


Which RPG?

 

Vampire. The current plot involves two members of undead society attempting to purchase a baseball field, the two have no love for each other and the last time something like this happened between them the situation almost spiralled out of control and resulted in something of a "turf war". Obviously the undead generally want to avoid anything that'll draw attention to them, and the party have been tasked by the most senior in the city to "navigate this and make sure it doesn't kick off".

 

Plot wise, they've got a choice between the above (piece of shit) purchaser, who is basically awful, but predictable - and who seems to be in it mostly for his own ego (slathering his family name all over the fancy new development), and the other who seems to want to do "more" for the community with the development and help regenerate the area, but are beginning to hear dark rumours about what he might be involved in. He's definitely beginning to look like a "legitimate businessman" as a cover for less savoury activities - and possibly worse. They're trying currently trying to understand what he's really going to get out of it, and have made the assumption that he's not altruistic in his choices.

 

There isn't really any "good" choice for them here, it'll just reflect on where the plot goes next in the city.

 

I was just quite pleased that the group properly acknowledged the first purchaser as a unpleasant piece of work, but one that is so banal with it all that despite the sour taste left in their mouths it might be the best solution to it all.

 

edit - I understand that the sorts of plots I like to run are a bit less exciting than traditional fantasy stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2020 at 10:48, Nathan Wind said:

The table is prepped for a first multiplayer game of Terminator Risey Resistance this afternoon :D

 

Can't wait for this one.

 

IMG_0700.thumb.JPG.27007848b1de314b40416d836f39ceb3.JPG


You guys clearly don't have cats. Leaving a game set up overnight?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 23:59, feltmonkey said:

 

You might find yourself one day browsing the shelves of a board game store, looking for something to play with your new ladyfriend and her friends, and your eyes might alight on the Game of Thrones board game, and you might think "Ah-ha!  The perfect game to play with my GoT-loving friends!"  Take my advice - do not play the GoT board game with anyone you would like to remain on friendly terms with.  It is the destroyer of friendships, the breaker of families.  My sister to this day descends into a angry silence if one particularly brutal betrayal is brought up, a betrayal from a game that happened over five years ago.  It is a very good game, but it is absolutely sadistic in the way it encourages the kind of terrible behaviour that would fit into the books. 

 

 


you need to give the detail. What happened?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, And said:

Played terraforming Mars last night for the first time. (Vis TTS) Really enjoyed it. Is there anything similar about ?

 

Race for the Galaxy is space-themed, uses a lot of cards, and has you building a tableau of abilities. It's also very good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had Knizia's Lord of the Rings co-op for about 15 years and today we got it to the table. 

 

Ooof, that is one hard game. I have a feeling that, unlike Pandemic which gets easier the fewer players you have, it may get easier with more players to share the punishments and pitch in resources. With just three of us the game tore into us early on with bad event following bad event. We got a little breather and managed to stagger through two of the scenarios before getting slaughtered in Shelob's Lair. 

 

It was an experience. I'm tempted to flog it but Fay wants to give it another go with more players. We'll see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, And said:

Played terraforming Mars last night for the first time. (Vis TTS) Really enjoyed it. Is there anything similar about ?

 

If it's the "spin multiple plates" thing you're into rather than the sci-fi theme, I'd check out some Vital Lacerda games. They all looks maddeningly complicated when you first look at the board but they all tend to actually be quite comprehensible. It's all about keeping the machine running.

 

The ones I'd recommend if you were looking to dabble: -

  • The Gallerist - You're competing with other galleries to display prestigious art, commission artists to create that art and then promote their work in order to raise the value and excitement on the stuff you've procured.
  • Lisboa - A historic game based around the reconstruction of Lisbon after it got flattened by an earthquake and then then whatever was standing burned down in 1755. Here you'll balance keeping influence in the Royal Court, the clearing of rubble and subsequent reconstruction of the city's economic districts, and then re-establishing regular trade with the rest of the world.
  • Vinhos - You are one of four vinyards producing wine in Portugal; you'll need to split your focus between selling to local businesses for money, exporting your produce to increase your international prestige, all while impressing wine competition judges with whatever they're asking for at that point.

... the thing I like about Lacerda games is that there's no set win condition. It's who ends up with the most points and you need to build your point scoring engine to function as you want it to. Another common theme in his game is the acquisition of currency (to do stuff) vs the acquisition of Victory Points (to win) - one of the skills you build up playing his games is knowing when you should handbrake turn away from just making money into trying to accrue victory points.

 

All of these games are... pretty expensive, but the production values are off the charts compared to most games.

 

If you're just looking for sci-fi recommendations, ignore everything I've said.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you could go insane and do Lacerda and Sci-fi with On Mars :) However it’s probably the most complex game he’s made and is stupidly expensive at the moment but will be back on Kickstarter at the end of the year. 
 

 All his games are also on Tabletop sim and tabletopia if you can get a game on there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mortis said:

Or you could go insane and do Lacerda and Sci-fi with On Mars :) However it’s probably the most complex game he’s made and is stupidly expensive at the moment but will be back on Kickstarter at the end of the year. 

 

I sort of didn't recommend it for that reason. Plus, he's already got Terraforming Mars - while the games are quite different, for a "you're colonising Mars" setting, I think that Terraforming Mars is just better really.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I’m on the other side of the fence in that I’m not a fan of TM. I don’t know if it’s the clip art quality pictures on the cards, the low quality components or the game itself but the few times I played it just didn’t click at all with me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mortis said:

I suppose I’m on the other side of the fence in that I’m not a fan of TM. I don’t know if it’s the clip art quality pictures on the cards, the low quality components or the game itself but the few times I played it just didn’t click at all with me. 

 

I don't own it for the component quality reasons you've mentioned above - I see a lot of people talk about how this perception of low quality is because of the amount of counterfeit copies are in circulation, but my friend's copy which he got straight from the developers store was just awful. He pulled it out and I asked "oh, did you buy a second hand copy then?" and he responded "No, it was brand new, I've only played it a few times".

 

So I shut my mouth. But yikes. I'm even okay with the WotC production-values-in-the-toilet stuff, but you don't pay that much for their games!

 

I do like Tarraforming Mars, though. And since this is the internet and we disagree I think we have to fight about it. You massive scumbag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find On Mars disjointed and lacking all logic or common sense in places.   Reading more about older Laverda games suggests he's simply not for me.  You could look at Underwater cities, one of the Meso America games such as Tzolkin or Teotihuacan,  a Brass game or Terra Mystica / Gaia Project for something with real crunch and more affordable / available. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I find On Mars disjointed and lacking all logic or common sense in places.

 

I think it's his worst game, for sure. But it's a good barometer for whether you're going to like his stuff or not; you're in the lucky group that's not going to constantly tempted into buying exceptionally expensive cardboard.

 

In other gaming news, I've been really getting into the new Dune printing. It's absolutely superb and I cannot believe for the life of me that it was originally released in the 70's and plays as well as it does even now with only minimal changes. I can't imagine how far ahead of the curve it must have felt back then - the only real issue with it is that most games these days sort of accelerate towards the win point where Dune is quite evenly paced throughout.

 

I keep having to explain to new people I play it with that it's absolutely critical that you don't throw away your armed forced on the planet and after about Turn 4, if you get wiped out in one big battle it's highly unlikely that you'll ever be able to rebuild properly. Such a clever game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 17:46, Lying Cat said:

 

I think it's his worst game, for sure. But it's a good barometer for whether you're going to like his stuff or not; you're in the lucky group that's not going to constantly tempted into buying exceptionally expensive cardboard.

 

 

Agreed.  He's now on the "no no" list of designers, mechanics and settings!  This sounds a bit absurd, but it's handy to have as a checklist to review potential kickstarters etc.  I'm also tempted by older games (if they can be tracked down) through reading back copies of Spielbox, so it's handy to have for that as well.

 

I haven't posted here for ages but games played have included Sword & Sorcery (forgot just how long those scenarios take with a 5p team), Paladins of the West Kingdom (excellent progression of Architects and another solo game winner), 7th Continent (solved, but did not win, the treasure chest curse), Pangea, a really technical game about running an extinction event simulation as one of 4 animal types, the Dwarves (because it was on sale but its quite decent),  Sail to India - novel mechanic whereby your cube markers serve not only as ships and bods, but also have to mark cash and VP levels, and finally, having decided that technical games are of increasing interest to me I decided to take the plunge with Phil Eklund and Bios: Genesis as the place to start.

 

This is where it probably helps to have a science education!  Initially it looks an impenetrable mass of small type and footnotes and symbols but working through the detailed example really helps.  Essentially you are endeavouring to create simple life from the primeval soup.  You may do this competitively (where parasites come into their own) or co-operatively or solo.  There are 4 sets of locations where life may potentially form - "refugia" - in space or on the Earth's surface.  Each game turn is prefaced by an event in which some of these locations are made available and then loads of bad things happen like being bombarded with UV, heat or oxygen, and sometimes the climate turns hot or cold.  You have to place your "bionts" on these spaces and roll dice to try to achieve auto-catalysis and flip the refugia into bacteria.  You want this to happen with the bacteria possessing as many chromosomes as possible but this is tricky to achieve and leads many missteps along the way.  You also have to consider whether going your own way or combining with other players would be beneficial.  Once an microorganism is created and placed on your tableau (roll a double when lots of chromosomes are available from "organised" manna) you can develop it with mutations which make it stronger and have greater resistances, but before this you also have to survive a "Darwin roll" each turn.  Again, lots of bad things can happen if you don't have sufficient protection.  Yet more bad things will  happen when the next event card is drawn representing 200 million years down the line.  In other words, its a real struggle.  When you have sufficient chromosomes on one of your microbes you may convert it into a macro-organism, initially a marine creature and finally a terrestrial one.   I was dead chuffed yesterday to create Flatworm pictured below (all the way from Inter-planatary dust via a microbe), albeit one still lacking a few organs.  In this game, 4 cold events had transpired which meant Armageddon and game over, but under the rule set for the solo game it was a success since 2 bionics of different colours were represented in the organism.  In a competitive game you would score your final cubes and bionts.  The final event was fairly benign (other than triggering the Armageddon) and if the game had continued the flatworm would have needed more beefing up to be certain of survival.  It's an intriguing game - to be sure the dice rolls are a bit arbitrary in places but in the big picture the aims and process are rather well implemented, and the science is interesting and informative.  Anyway, its a hit here and great for the soloist.

In fact under a non killer cold scenario blue was in a relatively weak position since he had no other living microbes. These are the sources of catalysts - represented by tiddlywinks - the in game currency used for mutation and organ purchase.  It takes several turns to generate life through judicious rolling in promising refugia.  In that time the poor worm would have been bombarded with heat,  UV and O2 and other hazards, any excess over Shields resulting in organ loss. Lose the bionts and it's extinction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2138.jpeg

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
Further thoughts on the worm's alternative fate.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.