What are you playing?

I bought My City before xmas for me and my partner to play and it's been really good so far although we've only done the first 2 episodes. We love a tile laying game anyway (Patchwork, Cottage Garden, Barenpark) so it was always likely to be a hit but the developing mechanics and 'Legacy' bits work really well at adjusting the difficulty for players on the fly, effectively giving small advantages to the loser and small disadvantages to the winner, although you still get the progress points. Really looking forward to seeing what the next episode contains!

Nice to hear, i received My City as a Christmas present and was intending to keep it until restrictions lift to play it at 3 or 4 player but I'm sorely tempted to just play it 2 player with my fiancee. Just noticed it was in a few top 10 games of the year for various sites.

I lurk here a lot but should really post more! Since i started playing board games I always had the dream of getting myself a gaming room, complete with nice games storage and a gaming table, I did a lot of overtime and backed the Megan gaming table when it was kickstarted earlier last year and it arrived the week before xmas, problem was we have been trying to buy a house for the last year which covid stopped so we have a one bedroomed place that really doesnt have room for the table or massive games collection. We made do by getting rid of my desk and buying a kallax so this is now half of our living room! I've had to move a bookcase with my smaller games into the bedroom and since Christmas a few bigger games were moved too (the kallax is a lot tidier and the xmas  stuff gone since the photo below!). Obviously the idea will be to have a game room in the new house where i wont be using it as a desk too!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I got a LOT of games and expansions for christmas and have played most of them already, all that remains to be played (aside from My City) is the Wingspan Oceania expansion and Scythe's Rise of Fenris expansion (also got the legendary box and modular board). I also got Legendary Marvel but it was to replace my original copy as it was one of the first games I bought when i got into the hobby several years ago and so had a lot of play, I've got most of the expansions but the original hand cards were disgusting (thanks to my friends) so instead of trying to sleeve over 3000 cards figured a new base set was much cheaper! I've not played it since getting it though.

The ones I've played so far (all played at 2 player) - 

Mandala - Awesome little two player game that ends up quite thinky, really like the look of it on the table, the cloth playmat is really nice and would recommend people pick this up. You play cards to one of two mandalas, either to the middle (mountain) or the area outside of the mountain (fields) and once all six colours are represented within a mandala (betwen mountain and fields) it is destroyed and players choose to take cards from the mountain one at a time, these then go into your river (the bottom spaces) which determine how many points cards of that colour will score you. Sounds simple but really good fun!

spacer.png

Tapestry - Really liked the one play we had and look forward to playing more. I love Civ based games and this was no different, i did worry based off the mixed reviews so wasnt expecting much so that may have made me enjoy it more! I love the tech trees in this and how they work together, I also love the factions which give a different start, I'd heard they were slightly imbalanced so we played with the changes suggested for factions on the Stonemaier website.  I was pipped to the post by my fiancee here as she did a much better job at filling up her capital city but this is one I'm really looking forward to getting back to the table!

spacer.png

Parks - This is a beautiful game, plays really well too. Sure its on the lighter side but I like having a lot of those types of games in my collection and this will definitely see a lot of plays. You move along the trail in a one way direction, stopping to take actions and pick up resources where you decide to land, at the end of the trail you can visit one of the many US national parks in the game by paying the costs, take photos or reserve parks. Plenty of game in the base set but will likely pick up the expansion when its available in stores!

spacer.png

Hallertau - Uwe is my favourite games designer by a long shot so was hyped for this one and it didnt disappoint, I see some reviews/comments about it slowly coming through the media, some love it, some dont like the randomness of the cards but i really enjoyed it, its been played most out of the new games i got and will see a lot more play. Its a nice take on the worker placement with workers remaining on the board between rounds, some come off based on a quadrant card which tells you which to remove that round so it can get tricky. Yet to do well in it, rules says a good score is 100, best so far was around 85...

spacer.png

Hocus Pocus - Bought this for my fiancee as its one of her all time favourite childhood movies, it was a pretty fun little coop game, where you have to stun the three witches before you run out of cards, we managed to complete it by the skin of our teeth but i think it could get really tricky with more than 2 players! It has a no talking rule which usually falls flat for me - I hated magic maze - but the game didn't suffer from it too much (We forgot to take a photo of this one!).

3 hours ago, Munkienut said:

Nice to hear, i received My City as a Christmas present and was intending to keep it until restrictions lift to play it at 3 or 4 player but I'm sorely tempted to just play it 2 player with my fiancee. Just noticed it was in a few top 10 games of the year for various sites.

It's decent in 2 player and doesn't seem unbalanced, although the play time is a bit shorter maybe. There is always a danger of one player taking an unassailable lead in 2 player I suppose, but the way the game adjusts the difficulty should help avoid that.

If anything it actually plays a bit more like Patchwork Doodle than other tile laying games as you are not competing for tiles, you each have the same set and you each have to lay the tile shown on the card.

Bit late to the party but we've got the Elder Sign bug in our house at the moment. Bought it just before Xmas in an effort to get the better half playing something - I've got stacks of Eldritch Horror and Arkham LCG, but both were a hard sell to someone who isn't really into the theme and hasn't played a modern board game.

I read that Elder Signs was a short game of around 60 mins maximum so it seemed perfect to try - turns out that playtime is totally wrong and a session is a minimum of 60 mins, with our longest being 4 hours as we blundered our way through the rules. But the good thing is she loves it, and we've played it enough that I've grabbed all the expansions since they're out of print and now on the verge of vanishing.

Speaking of blundering through the rules, much hilarity last night when I realised that we'd been playing it wrong. I'd missed that you can resolve monster token tasks to defeat them, and even if you still fail the the main card requirements, the monster is removed.

Here's the aftermath of that mess -  two locked dice meaning ability cards were pretty much useless, impossible to complete cards due to double stacked monsters, three dead investigators the last of which added doom to the track and released the Ancient one into our reality, wiping out the planet.

A full on 2020 vibe.

904130272_eldersign.thumb.jpg.c793139ce50b74ca4401b98aadb35986.jpg

But the minute we started playing correctly on the next game we smashed it - hooray for small things like reading the rules properly!

Up to then we'd still managed a win to lose ratio of 75% (some of those were comfortable wins rather than skin of the teeth moments) so the game is a little easy on times. But it's a nice little dice chucker with plenty of scope for strategy and planning. She loves planning and maximising moves / figuring the best odds, so it might be why we're doing so well.

The first two expansions arrived this morning so think we're about ready to start mixing those in. Suppose if we're really crushing it in future we can always re-introduce our home made hardcore mode.

Well overdue a post in this thread.  So many good games over the last couple of months.  A selection:

Sword & Sorcery Act II evil run (the ultimate lock down buster - for a 5 character team the scenarios easily last 4-5 hours).  I want to get this done by the end of the month.

Pax Pamir 2nd edition - see below

Tales of Evil - an adventure book game where a gang of kids explore a haunted house looking for one of their mates who has gone missing.  An Italian design, it also incorporates "fusion" - at some points you will have a minute to find eg matches or scissors or will need to take your shoes off or keep quiet etc - all good fun.  Would make a fine family game but it's quite tough in places too as the kids get progressively more scared and their stats decline.  You won't find everything in one run so there is replayability too (plus some additional tales).  

Vampire the Masquerade heritage - a legacy card game where you play a Vampire clan building your vampire bloodline by recruiting characters (which may be upgraded to "ancillae"), and try to leverage the coteries comprised of sire and their kinder to execute "schemes" to your advantage or the disadvantage of others, as you tussle over three battlegrounds in each game.  I had to research VtM not being familiar at all.  It seems a tight game with the different clan characteristics in full view, but is mechanically more complicated for the soloist since the players may switch between clans from game to game, so it's back to P1-P4, as with Gloomhaven.

Forest of Adrimon (Hexplore vol II) - an open world exploration game where each game feels very different depending on your priorities. This is good to play also because you can set the map up on a coffee table and resume use of your main table in-between sessions - as currently where my Verdant Keeper and Druid are on a mission to influence (rather than kill) as many bosses as possible, whilst searching for loot in every ruined city they come across.

Bloodborne - just started this and after considerable effort completed Campaign one chapter one (and then failed chapter two on the first attempt through time running out, which means a complete restart) - suffice to say fans of the video game will not feel shortchanged - it seems to capture the essence of the souls games very well except those do not have a hard time stop.  It mimics the bonfire effect by inserting board re-sets with enemy respawns / healing every 5 turns.  As with the video games knowledge of the Campaign is gained slowly and hopefully will be put to better use in later runs - typically you have to complete a couple of investigations before squaring off to a boss (complete with fog gates of course). Mechanically its an extremely tight deck management game, not a dungeon crawler, which takes a bit of getting used to - the same cards are used for everything - move, interact and attack, but for attack they have different properties.  Another complication is that you only have limited attack slots on your weapon each with specific balances of speed and damage, so there is a lot to juggle even from the start - which card to I use to move? which should I keep for combat?  Should I initiate combat or wait for the enemy to come to me?  Should I try to kite an enemy away? You may choose to enter Hunters Dream to level up - spend the souls you have gained from kills - but this (as death) increases time. Levelling up however is the key to success as the basic 4 cards are replaced with much more powerful ones.  I reckon one metric of progress might be the number or % of basic cards upgrade in each run.  

Pax Pamir

I've fallen in love with this.  It's firmly rooted in the time of the "Great game" when Britain, Russia and others were tussling over Afghanistan and surrounds as the pathway to India (the area in this ranges from Persia to Punjab).  The idea is that you select one of three factions to support, and scoring which occurs 3 or 4 times and is based on degree of influence in the dominant faction (or numbers of cylinders employed if no overall dominance).  Mechanically it's simple - you take two main actions each turn e.g purchasing a card from the marketplace, adding a card to your court to gain the effects noted in the top right hand side, or playing an action from one of your cards already in your court.  Every card belongs to one of four suits and each round one suit is favoured giving rise to bonus actions. Superficially it looks like an area control game - in the photo the upright blocks are armies, which may battle, and the others are bridges over which armies may move, cylinders are tribes which are used to denote control of a particular region - but that doesn't do it justice at all.  For one thing you can flip your allegiance at any time, for another you may employ spies which move around the table betraying other players by removing cards from their courts, potentially ceding control of a region or reducing their influence.   The cards themselves are full of fascinating and accurate historical detail, and I'm really pleased I bought the sleeves - I should have purchased the metal coins too (another nice touch the economy is largely closed).  The solo mode is excellent and like all good solo modes teaches you how to prioritise. Still, it's tricky to win against the AI since she is both pragmatic - any one turn she will favour one of the two factions you do not favour, but her influence will count in all 3 factions - and ruthless.  I've only won once so far but it's a delight to get out and play again. I can't imagine how good this would be with 4 or 5 players who are familiar with it, with the tension and fluctuations which would ensue.  Highly recommended - the production quality is superb and the gameplay fascinating.

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

Edited by Cosmic_Guru

Thanks for the Bloodborne impressions, I got the base game only the other day but yet to play it. Did you play with one char? Or take two? (I hear you can lure enemy's away play more positioning tactics) 

Your impressions makes me more likely to try solo. 

Eldar Sign is a lot of fun, I saw there is a slight re-implementation of it coming based on x-men. I'm tempted as the eldar sign I play is a buddys. 

11 hours ago, shynra said:

Thanks for the Bloodborne impressions, I got the base game only the other day but yet to play it. Did you play with one char? Or take two? (I hear you can lure enemy's away play more positioning tactics) 

Your impressions makes me more likely to try solo. 

I was playing with 2 characters, one with a heavier axe than the other  (all the hunters are distinguished only by their primary weapon). 

Increasing # chars increases HP of bosses and some other mission concluding enemies (in the first campaign you have to fight these 2 or 3 times over).

Having more chars on the board will however enable more tiles to be uncovered more quickly which is helpful given the ticking clock and the nature of the investigation missions which kick off with  - "end your movement on tile X to read card n" And as you say, there would be more possibilities of moving enemies around tactically.  Against that, less loot (in the form of consumables) per head and more chars to share mission rewards between (but you are limited in some of these per head). 

Honestly nor sure what size group to roll with for my next attempt but more likely to increase to 3 than reduce to 1.

FOMO got the better of me and i bought the Bloodborne blood moon pledge off someone on the BGTCUK facebook group, a fair bit cheaper than the 250 people are asking for it on Ebay. I love bloodborne and the souls series so I am excited for it. Never got into painting though as i am terrified i will ruin the minis with shit painting, so many things I would love to have painted though! I did start practicing once upon a time on the Mice and Mystics minis, maybe I should give it another try!

I'll await your impressions with interest.  At present it appears to be a 3 dimensional puzzle of sorts -

Which attack slot do I choose  (speed versus damage)?

Which card do I select for that attack (I probably only have max 3 to choose from)? or more generally which card for which action?

How do I get everything done in time (given the need to bank souls and inevitable death incidents along the way, both of which advance time).

Fascinating and intense.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats @Cosmic_Guru! I played about 6 scenarios of a friends copy when it first arrived from kickstarter but he lives far away and hasn't played it since. I then picked up my own copy and started again with another friend, we played about 10 scenarios and haven't managed to get back to it as we are both guilty of buying too many new games so every time we meet we always have so much new stuff to play. I loved what I played and really need to get back to it! Another reason to stop buying more games!

Forgot to get back to you with regards to Bloodborne, played the first two chapters of the first scenario solo (with 2 characters) and got my ass handed to me by the cleric beast. I really like the combat system, its really cool and quite different from anything else I've played, I like that puzzley aspect you mentioned previously and transforming your weapon. Really enjoyed the levelling up and upgrading my deck what to add, what to remove, my only gripe is that in preview videos I watched from CMON expo it used to be 3 movement points from a card but somewhere along the line it got changed to 2, feels quite hard to get around, felt like that one extra movement could have been useful so many times when playing. I love the story elements/quest like parts too. So far so good, look forward to playing more with friends when lockdown allows and trying some of the other hunters (used threaded cane and ludwigs holy sword(?) so far).

Since posting last I've 

Finished the Sword & Sorcery campaign with a levitating bard, ingenious necromancer, vampiric barbarian, a backstabber and a shaman tank (-_-).  Great series but admittedly it only really comes good when your characters are higher level and when you have access to some of the additional characters which are much better than the cookie cutter originals.

Played a smorgasbord of smaller games, including the exquisite Village Green, old favourite Capital, the Ninth World (Nomenura), Legacy (both upwards and downwards solo), Snowdonia, the new Kilforth (a slightly more subtle and Eastern themed version of the original), and a couple of games I've had a while but not gotten around to (see below).  Then a week of solid Gloomhaven Forgotten Circles (see Gloomhaven thread).

New games:

Smartphone.

I fell for the bold and yet minimalist graphic design of this one plus the ingenious planning mechanism.  You have two double sided boards which you overlay to plan your actions each round - you are in the business of selling smartphones and cash earned = VPs.  You may move your price up or down (this determines round order), and decide production, distribution and development volumes.  In solo you are playing an AI and you have the benefit of knowing what price he will sell at, in MP all planning is done behind screens.  Then you expand your network of stores, research new tech which is required for some customers, and modify your basic two boards with 2 cell overlays.  In truth you could be selling anything, other than for the tailored technology, but its a nice, quick, fairly light experience (photo seems staged).

Circles of Malice.

A second example of bold minimalist design.  In this, you explore a world and fight monsters a bit like Mage Knight or Hexexplore but everything is stripped to the bone, yet also satisfyingly deep.  For example the monsters are looked up on a table dependent on terrain, and you roll for their power.  Your characters are whoever you wish them to be and there are no classes or anything like that.  What there is is different damage types and some incredibly powerful gear which is obtained from clearing creature lairs.  You roll for an awful lot of things in this, often in the form of d*(although the designer suggests ways to simplify this if required).  Hence the randomness is off the roof (if you roll each and every time, rather than average or lock out).  You can see in the photo that the equipped is rife with d* rolls.  Whilst you are moving around improving your gear, shadows are forming in the netherworld and sooner or later one will emerge into your world - then it is a race to discover the wells of light before it does, at which point it coalesces into an enemy form.  In the photo this all happened fairly quickly, and my gear opposed to the enemy skills favoured the team.  However I misread one of the rules and the small die showing one should not have been rolled and I had underestimated the power of the enemy.  An interesting game for sure.

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a first go at Escape the Dark Sector with @Rikku over Skype and I like it a lot.  It's very similar to Escape the Dark Castle of course, but adds a ranged combat option with a neat little flanking system.  You could do far worse if you're after an inexpensive dice rolling, card flipping choose your own adventure.  The artwork is great again.  Very evocative of that dynamic 80s/90s pen and ink style and with more than a hint of Alien about it.

IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.79ff04aa67b097517f8930d3db70fdb3.JPG

22 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Just had a first go at Escape the Dark Sector with @Rikku over Skype and I like it a lot.  It's very similar to Escape the Dark Castle of course, but adds a ranged combat option with a neat little flanking system.  You could do far worse if you're after an inexpensive dice rolling, card flipping choose your own adventure.  The artwork is great again.  Very evocative of that dynamic 80s/90s pen and ink style and with more than a hint of Alien about it.

IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.79ff04aa67b097517f8930d3db70fdb3.JPG

It's great.  And tough. No wins yet here, although luck is a big factor of course. I like the little graphs which portray your declining health, which you can suitably annotate. Alien eggs!! etc.

Yeah they're like little heart rate monitor readouts.  It's a nice touch.  We actually won our first game but the same thing happened in Escape the Dark Castle where we won the first ever try then failed something like the next dozen :lol:

Very tempted by the "escape the" games, I'll add them to my list to look into more as I like the sound of them and polyhedron collider podcast had a lot of positive things to say about the newer one too.

Well I finally started My City last night at 2 player, ended up playing 9 games back to back! Has been good fun so far, interested to see what comes from the next chapter (Gold Rush- Not a spoiler as the names on the envelope), I've not done terribly great so far, 6 games to 3 so hoping to get some more wins going forward!

We also have just played the tutorial/introductory scenario for Fog of Love, picked it up under the guise of Valentines present, wasnt sure how it would go down, the SUSD review always had me intrigued but the idea of role playing not so much and didn't think that would go down well with with fiancée but we were both very surprised with the first game and enjoyed it a lot. The tutorial is superb in allowing you to just sit down and start playing without reading the rules. Still set up to go into the a proper non tutorial game just shortly!

I took a lone squad of Ultramarines out for a wander through a hulk in Space Crusade. It did not end well.  This game absolutely does not scale for fewer human players.  Obviously, without an alien player I had to tinker a little and so divided the blips into equal piles without looking at them.  A good alien player tries to engage in hand to hand whenever possible but I wanted to flavour it up a bit with playing alone, so I had gretchins always retreat as far as possible to take pot shots from safety. Orcs stand their ground and shoot until within H2H range, at which point the blood lust takes over and they charge in.  Chaos marines play more tactically, firing and moving to cover, flanking etc.  Androids close into H2H immediately. Having expected it might be rough, I cheated slightly and took an extra order and extra equipment card at the start but still didn't make it past the second board.

IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.8ce76589ca74354f18b43b08f32ee74f.JPG

On board one the squad encountered a lot of resistance from orcs and gretchins and lost two marines early to lucky gretchin rolls. Unfortunately one of them was the rocket launcher unit. Despite that the rest stood their ground and mopped up until an unfortunate Alien Event draw of Weapon Malfunction hit the assault cannon, so he had to resort to a backup bolter. Meanwhile, I had the commander position himself so as to draw a bunch of raging orcs into hand to hand combat and he took them out with no issue. Going into board two with no heavy weapons is not good.

IMG_0980.thumb.JPG.c457eb891db77c181d08f502b3d63603.JPG

Three marines made it to the second board where they found the mission objective, the chaos dreadnaught.  Also revealed were an android, a couple of chaos marines and a bunch more space-pricks. Fortunately the android rushed our commander who was geared up with a power fist and sword - so an H2H beast - and it was reduced to scrap metal with no bother. Things then went south rather quickly. In prioritising the chaos marines before the dreadnaught could close them down, the Ultramarines left themselves vulnerable to shitty gretchin fire.  By the time the chaos-pricks and all but one gretchin were wiped off the board, two more Ultramarines were dead, leaving the commander to try and seal the deal alone.  Thanks to a health kit he was able to survive a couple of barrages from the fearsome war machine but the end was inevitable.  He got squished.

Next time, I'm taking two squads.

Volume III of Hexplore it - Sands of Shurax.  Simply incredible sand box (-_-) game, this one channelling a Dune vibe big time with a giant burrowing worm as the Big Boss who leaves behind valuable crystals.  There are so many interlocking mechanisms in this - reputation/loyalty to the city states, non connected areas requiring travel by caravan, an Arena (suiting the Half Ork gladiator down to the ground), gambling and bribery, it's going to take a while to all bed in...   (and this is the base version of the game - two more layers of content are available ....).  Next volume launches April on Gamefound - I'll post a link on the off-chance anyone here is interested.  

IMG_2438.jpeg

Started a game of Jaws of the Lion with my son today. It’s really impressive. Learned a lot from Gloomhaven. Easy to pick up and learn gradually over a few scenarios. Highly recommended. 

Really want to play Jaws of the Lion but between D&D and Divinity Original Sin I don't think I can take another dungeon crawler at the moment!

Finished My City last weekend, the last chapter felt a little underwhelming, as it doesn't really add anything particularly new, it's more about using the mechanics from previous games to maximise the last few progress points. Overall it was still brilliant, and i'd recommend it to anyone who likes tile placement and wants something wit a bit of variety/progression in it.

We started my city last week and both my wife and daughter are really enjoying it. The constantly evolving rules are enough to keep everyone engaged and meant we were ready to play after a 5 minute rules teach. 
Worth a play if you’re after a decent family weight game that non gamers can pick up easily. 

My wife and I started My City yesterday and have just completed episode four.  I have won all four so far by a narrow margin each time, and I'm really starting to fear the catch-up mechanics now the churches are involved!

My wife and I started playing MicroMacro: Crime City this morning and for such a simple concept, it is great fun.  It really is an enhanced Where's Wally with some extra time travel and deduction elements, but pictures online don't do justice to how much is crammed onto the massive map.  A decent magnifying glass and good lighting is essential.  We played on the table, but I think I'm going to pin it to the wall the next time we play instead.  Games are made up of sixteen included cases, each featuring a number of cards that you play through in turn until that case is solved.  One case is about a bank robbery, so first of all you have to find the bank.  When you do, you'll see two masked robbers holding it up.  Then you'll search to see where they dumped their masks afterwards, so you'll scour the nearby area for the masks, going further on, you'll have to look for them making their getaway and how, and so on until so you can see the full trial of the crime, and it quite compelling.

There are a few drawbacks too though.  For instance, it could easily be pitched as a party game, but sometimes a clue will narrow the search down to a smallish area, say the southern eastern river bank for instance, it would be hard for more than a couple of people at a time to get close enough to search there properly.  Also when you think you know where a clue is, you flip a card and it shows you a picture of the answer along with grid co-ordinates, and it could really do with a companion app instead that can tell you you're wrong without showing the true answer at the same time.  Finally, I have concerns about longevity.  As mentioned, there are only sixteen cases, and we flew through the first four in no time.  Admittedly, the were simple starter cases, and there are more online, but even so I do wonder how many hours we'll get out of this for £25.

There are a few more cases on the MicroMacro website, and hopefully they'll release some cheap add-on packs too.  As you look around the map, you can see instances of crime everywhere so I'm sure there is plenty of scope for this.  We've gone back to My City for a while now so as to pace ourselves with it, and hopefully my fears about longevity will prove unfounded as we progress onto more complex cases.  Despite these negatives, we're both really happy with it and highly recommend it to others.

I've been playing Black Sonata.  The solo hidden movement game.  It's very clever, and really hard to win!

Lockdown / Social Distancing has really meant that I've hardly played anything, and am missing sitting 'round pushing meeples with friends; placing workers, invading their hexes, rezzing ice as they run on my HQ, pulling off clever combos for even-more-mana/gold, forming and breaking alliances with other alien races, and playing the China card. (etc).

Ticket to Ride (app) just doesn't scratch the same itch.

1 hour ago, uglifruit said:

I've been playing Black Sonata.  The solo hidden movement game.  It's very clever, and really hard to win!

Lockdown / Social Distancing has really meant that I've hardly played anything, and am missing sitting 'round pushing meeples with friends; placing workers, invading their hexes, rezzing ice as they run on my HQ, pulling off clever combos for even-more-mana/gold, forming and breaking alliances with other alien races, and playing the China card. (etc).

Ticket to Ride (app) just doesn't scratch the same itch.

Black Sonata is a really nicely put together game.  Beaten it a few times but can't remember if there is any trick to it. 

Could you consider investing in some games which offer decent solo modes so you can entertain yourself and  get a leg up for the time your groups resume?   Maybe the likes of Mage Knight, Underwater Cities,  the West Kingdom series? 

On 06/03/2021 at 22:23, jonnyalpha said:

Praga Caput Regni plays well solo. Listen to them raving about it on a recent Two Wood for a Wheat podcast. It's a lovely game and very pretty.

I'll likely pick this up at some point. It came out around the same time as Bonfire which I plumped for and that also has a fine solo mode.  So too does Lost Ruins of Arnak although I'm putting that one up for sale shortly.  

Trying to convince these kids to actually play our last My City chapter but they don't want to because then it'll be done.

Hrmph.

And trying to convince them to continue Stuffed Fables, which we picked up a little while ago. I thought it'd really click with them, but it's just a bit slow going for my youngest (7). I try to explain that it's only slow because she debates every conceivable decision for an hour but what are you going to do?

I like it a lot though; it feels like the rules and book could've done with a copy polish edit (I would say that), but its charm is bigger than its weaknesses.