What are you playing?

jonnyalpha

• 1 month later...

Monster game of Folklore the Affliction happening with @Rikku . We've started on the Dark Tales expansion with new characters. This really is my favourite game by quite a long shot, it gives such a great pen-and-paper RPG feeling and looks epic on the table -

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.1b8447a2cc37e4615726428f2738bea6.JPG

We also had a three player game of Zombicide when m'pal popped over.  Things escalated quickly and we suffered horrible, horrible death. Just got swamped by numbers :(

IMG_1198.thumb.JPG.9e7b02abbf1dc3bce292916c8eb41d75.JPG

Picked up a couple of titles this week - one a preorder that I’ve had for ages and the other an impulse buy for the family gaming. 
 Coffee traders I’ll be getting to the table as soon as we get the Saturday gaming group back as it takes a few hours to play  

Calico I managed to persuade my wife to try out today and it’s delightfully easy to teach and hard to master. 
CD0F93FB-B82F-48DB-9E5E-C7EAFB3BC801.jpeg.007cce03fd4d39daa810e21271be9f7a.jpeg7F48B8E7-14CF-4A66-9779-D77FA30AAD82.jpeg.8b4ebfffc068716e05e9253bf5fa7bf2.jpeg8FCE262F-E073-4DBD-9989-E68F2AF7281D.thumb.jpeg.c66abac87eab5762c11aeb27dde82d50.jpeg

I played the new Sword & Sorcery game intensively in July and managed to finally find an enjoyable 3 character party covering all the 4 classes between them. I even bought the wee minions packs, even though they got jettisoned toward the end for cluttering up the Treasure deck.  I think this has burnt me out for Boardgaming for a while,  but, like Arnie, I'll be back.

19 hours ago, Mortis said:

Picked up a couple of titles this week - one a preorder that I’ve had for ages and the other an impulse buy for the family gaming. 
 Coffee traders I’ll be getting to the table as soon as we get the Saturday gaming group back as it takes a few hours to play  

Calico I managed to persuade my wife to try out today and it’s delightfully easy to teach and hard to master. 

I thought I was seeing double then I realised I am in the same facebook group as you for Lanarkshire gamers (recognised the photos), aiming to start heading along to the meets when they start back up as joined just before COVID hit.

I picked up Calico as part of the Cascadia KS and had both arrive earlier this week, played both back to back the other night and both were excellent although Calico is much more of a tight meaty puzzle which can really burn the brain (in a good way), Cascadia was much more relaxed and easy going and ended up playing that twice back to back but thats more because it was super late at night and the brain couldn't handle another game of Calico and cant wait to get both back to the table.

Last night we had a long overdue game night with my fiancees cousins and their partners, I got them interested just before COVID hit with the likes of Exploding Kittens, Sushi Go, Quacks (bought an extra expansion to make it 6 player) and King of Tokyo and started picking up more 6 player games and expansions in anticipation of more games nights... A year and a half later we finally got back together and we played Canvas (managed to squeeze the components out to 6 players), Sheriff of Nottingham (2nd Edition) and Survive escape from Atlantis, much fun was had by all although I had also looked out Colt Express to play but game lengths on boxes are grossly underestimated, the quoted 60 mins for Sheriff must have been 2hrs + and 45 mins for Survive ended up being about 90+ mins so we didnt get to play Colt Express which Ive been dying to try for ages.

@Munkienut small world :) where are you based? There’s another small group that runs out of Settlers in Hamilton every 2nd Wednesday - we just started back this week will send you the link if you’re interested. 

I'm in Paisley at the moment, been trying to buy somewhere new for over a year (not too fussed where we end up as long as its not too big a commute to Glasgow) but the housing market being crazy and keeps on beating us down. Board gaming as a hobby doesn't lend itself well to a small flat so hopefully the market changes sooner than later or I can stop buying games... Send me the details, we have a car so distance isn't too much of an issue although a busy job tends to mean I'm pretty exhausted come 5pm so the weekend one sounds more appealing :)

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

@Munkienut small world :) where are you based? There’s another small group that runs out of Settlers in Hamilton every 2nd Wednesday - we just started back this week will send you the link if you’re interested. 

Oops sorry tried to edit last post to tag you and it created a new one, stupid phone.

8 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

Did you ever play any more Oath or did you move onto other games?

Oh yes, had a cracking weekend of this in early July.  More light shone on when and why citizenship might be attractive to both parties, more awareness that the game world is more significant game to game than incremental changes to the world deck, all round goodness.  I think the SUaSD review is fair except that the story telling aspects are perhaps a little exaggerated.

I have a copy of Oath on order, one of the KS editions that has gone to retail and so should be coming out in the next month. I was wondering how you were getting on with it. Has it all been solo plays against the Clockwork Prince? 

2 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

I have a copy of Oath on order, one of the KS editions that has gone to retail and so should be coming out in the next month. I was wondering how you were getting on with it. Has it all been solo plays against the Clockwork 

Nope, playing with 4 hands each time

17 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

@Cosmic_Guru Wow! That sounds impressively tricky. 😊

Batshit crazy more like. The thing is, being absolutely impartial, you can see how the Web of interaction between Chancellor, outcasts and citizens functions, without any RL bias.  I'm sure the AI is a good training tool to improve efficiency, as is the case with Parmir, but I don't fancy using it in this game.   

Played a whole bunch of games recently- Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Just One and Decrypto as Social deduction games, and it felt really good to get social deduction back on the table. Always enjoy Deception (as long as there's not too much prevaricating), and Decrypto is fun, but also ramps up the worst pressure from Codenames.

Also got Eclipse + Expansion to the table, for an epic 4 hours of space warfare. I had an amazing fleet, captured the central tile, then teched my way up. But wormhole generator never came out, so I couldn't attack the players who defensively explored, just my allies. I also forgot to keep discs behind for influencing captured sectors, so in the final turn just drove allies from their homeworlds without taking them myself. Still won somehow though!

24 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Played a whole bunch of games recently- Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Just One and Decrypto as Social deduction games, and it felt really good to get social deduction back on the table. Always enjoy Deception (as long as there's not too much prevaricating), and Decrypto is fun, but also ramps up the worst pressure from Codenames.

Also got Eclipse + Expansion to the table, for an epic 4 hours of space warfare. I had an amazing fleet, captured the central tile, then teched my way up. But wormhole generator never came out, so I couldn't attack the players who defensively explored, just my allies. I also forgot to keep discs behind for influencing captured sectors, so in the final turn just drove allies from their homeworlds without taking them myself. Still won somehow though!

I loved the handful of plays of Deception we managed in the pub in a past life. It would be good to meet up some time in the holidays, I have a few games that have barely hit the table, like New Frontiers and Favour of the Pharoah (non-Tom Lehmann games also available). I'd also love to try out Die of the Dead!

All set up for some Cursed City over the next board gaming while.  I was going to play a few rounds tonight but set-up has frazzled my brain that much that I really can't be arsed now. For what's a pretty basic game, it doesn't half take up a huge amount of space. I wasn't overly enthused with it when I first played back when it released but it's been niggling away in the back of my mind for a while now so I'm ready to take another stab at it. Despite its fundamental flaws there is something there and I've gone for a more interesting selection of heroes this time so hopefully I'll have a bit more fun.

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.5a8208804d4205b21574644d9d63d273.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Under Fallen Skies.

IMG_20210830_212915.thumb.jpg.c64e2f3a8271735189ec4631c4990762.jpg

My gaming group still are not really feeling confident enough to meet up in a small space, so I've had a dive into this solo dice placement game.  It's clever and surprisingly well balanced it seems.  Given the dice rolls and variability of the setup, saving the city from the invaders is very often a knifeedge finish of win/lose conditions.  And the box is rammed with content.  A campaign (of about 8 games) adds variable cities (each with two different abilities), characters (each with helpful skills), and missions (with objective/rule tweaks).  These combine to mean you're forced to prioritise different tactics game to game, as well as reacting to the dice rolls.

Anyway. Very much recommended. In fact it displaces Deep Space D6 as my dice placement solo game of choice.

(Under Falling Skies is a boxed, beefed up edition of the free print and play nine card version that I printed, played and liked enough to invest in the 'proper' game when it came out.  So you've very little excuse not to try it!)

I've been playing Descent legends of the dark, and Oath (the most extraordinary game, but very difficult to post about because of both spoilers and the terminology - suffice to say that the state of the world at the end of that game and the beginning of the next game is unlike anything encountered in the 13 games previous).

Descent, as I'm sure you are all aware is the new offering from FF and is totally app dependent.  I had to make a choice between having the app on my ageing iPad or my up to date phone, chose the former for convenience / readability and had to delete several hours of progress because the damn thing hung when loading new assets (which happens really frequently).  Very annoying but serves me right probably.  

Spoiler soley for length

Spoiler

Anyway the app offers three main advantages 

1. Weapon customisation - each character in this has their own weapon set, and each weapon may be modified in 2 places.  The sorts of mods we are talking about are often percentile effects which would be impossible to handle manually.  Also, you input any conditions which are applied by the weapon and the effects are again calculated.
  2. Loot - loads of minor stuff such as crafting components is picked up along the way as well as bigger items or recipes for crafting.   There are also cards for armour and trinkets (only the latter being tracked via the app).
  3. Expanding and altering the map.  The many cardboard constructs are neatly housed in the bottom well of the two tier box.  You will be using stairs to go up and down, terrain underlays represent things like lava and water.  It's much more economical than something like Middara (or the forthcoming Frosthaven) which use reams of paper to cover the same territory (although I'm still a big fan of Middara's marvellously compact and detailed tiles).

At first though, it's weird, a real hybrid.  There are two screens - the map and the enemies but both are static.  You handle all the movement.  You then use the enemy screen to record an attack by dragging your character icon over the enemy, noting which weapon you are using and rolling the appropriate die.  If the enemy has any other behaviour you have to note and apply it manually.

Fortunately there is a comprehensive log of each round, so if you blink and miss something you can roll back, and you can review the log for clues to solving the various puzzles.

Strangely the app doesn't seem to logic check true conditions - you may attack 3 times for example which isn't possible in the base game (which is otherwise really simple with no complex rules on los or diagonal movement (in fact you can always check los in the app).

You get skills as you gain experience but i don't think these will cover the same sort of territory as, for example Sword & Sorcery.  Although I'm no Descent expert, everything in this seems geared to card and dice management (removing fatigue, prepping, focussing) rather than obtaining new spells etc.

Storywise this too reminds me a bit of Middara (without all the Sci Fi angle) - a group of folk with their backstories in place, one of whom related to nobility yada yada.  If you play as a group you are likely to be swapping around between characters, and some scenarios require specific characters as their back stories are explored.

You can also fail scenarios if you lose all HP 3 times, and the game will adjust to this.

• 3 weeks later...

So Saturdays session took 8 hours in total, about an hour to teach and answer questions then 7 hours to play (with a break for pizza halfway through). Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the game though and we're planning on another session in a month or so. It ended with a spread of less than £100 between 1st and last place (I didn't win #goodteacher)

I'm slowly building up a decent number of friends that like to play Arkwright so fingers crossed it'll be one I can get to the table more often despite the brain melting complexity of it :)

I ordered Arkham Horror LCG. Started playing it solo and think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. After each scenario does my character recover full health? I know there are long term trauma rules but how do they apply?

2. Only enemies with 'hunter' on them actively move towards me? Enemies without hunter that aren't engaged just stay in place?

3. Hunter enemies can move how far on their turn? I spent a large part of the 2nd scenario just running around town one step ahead of a cultist. 

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I ordered Arkham Horror LCG. Started playing it solo and think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. After each scenario does my character recover full health? I know there are long term trauma rules but how do they apply?

2. Only enemies with 'hunter' on them actively move towards me? Enemies without hunter that aren't engaged just stay in place?

3. Hunter enemies can move how far on their turn? I spent a large part of the 2nd scenario just running around town one step ahead of a cultist. 

1. Yep, recovered fully unless directed otherwise (usually by the scenario text).

For example. if it says take 1 permanent trauma and your investigator would normally start with 6 Sanity, at the start of the next scenario they begin with 1 horror and just 5 Sanity. The scenario log will help you track all that because it does stack between scenarios.

2. Yep, only Hunters move location. Other enemies stay static waiting for someone to enter.

3.  Unless directed by their card or an event, Hunters only move one location per enemy phase to try and reach an investigator.  Off shoot rule from this is they have to take the shortest route to do that. So if there's two ways to a 'gators location, one taking hops across four locations and another across three, the Hunter has to makes its way using the three location route.

It can turn into a horrific / comedic chase across locations, but some things allow you to carry out extra actions like additional 'gator movement, so you can some times get a little bit further ahead.

8 minutes ago, Spatial said:

It can turn into a horrific / comedic chase across locations, but some things allow you to carry out extra actions like additional 'gator movement, so you can some times get a little bit further ahead.

Yeah in scenario 2 (the midnight masks) there was a cultist chasing me about. It didn't seem like I had much option but to keep running away from him as he has 6 health and the absolute maximum I seemed to be able to do was 2 per attack. Not sure what the best tactic is for that situation...

On 26/09/2021 at 10:57, Spatial said:

Don't worry, that's kind of the point of that guy in that  particular scenario. The best tactic is always if you don't stand a realistic chance of killing something then keep running!

I'll try part 3 at some point. No doubt I'll be slaughtered. What's the best thing to buy next to continue my Arkham experience?