IGNORED

What are you playing?

jonnyalpha

The third part is renowned for being punishing, especially with the pre-built starter decks - you've already got your expectations set right by expecting it to be a horror show :D

Definitely pick up The Dunwich Legacy next - the Night of the Zealot adventures are okay to begin, but with Dunwich they started getting into their stride (plus you'll also start building up some good investigator cards for your decks).

If you haven't already I'd recommend giving The Dunwich Horror a read before you play. It's not essential in any way, but you will get more out of it with names, places and events (but then I am biased as it's one of my fav Lovecraft stories).

edit: oh and if you can wait a bit until the start of next year, their new distribution models means you can buy the whole Dunwich Legacy scenario in one box (the investigators come in a separate box). That means you won't have to struggle tracking down reprints of all the separate mythos pack and it should work out a wee bit cheaper too.

4 hours ago, Spatial said:

The third part is renowned for being punishing, especially with the pre-built starter decks - you've already got your expectations set right by expecting it to be a horror show :D

Definitely pick up The Dunwich Legacy next - the Night of the Zealot adventures are okay to begin, but with Dunwich they started getting into their stride (plus you'll also start building up some good investigator cards for your decks).

If you haven't already I'd recommend giving The Dunwich Horror a read before you play. It's not essential in any way, but you will get more out of it with names, places and events (but then I am biased as it's one of my fav Lovecraft stories).

edit: oh and if you can wait a bit until the start of next year, their new distribution models means you can buy the whole Dunwich Legacy scenario in one box (the investigators come in a separate box). That means you won't have to struggle tracking down reprints of all the separate mythos pack and it should work out a wee bit cheaper too.

Have you got a specific recommendation for a Lovecraft book on Amazon? There are about a million on there and it's hard to know which is likely to be good quality...

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Have you got a specific recommendation for a Lovecraft book on Amazon? There are about a million on there and it's hard to know which is likely to be good quality...

That's a tough one - I stopped with physical copies of books ages back. Something like this seemed okay;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/H-P-Lovecraft-Collection-ebook/dp/B077GXY6B7/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Be warned though, some of Lovecraft's ideas and notions are horribly racist. Even as a product of his time his peers saw him as a total dick in that regards, so some of the stories will have deeply questionable language and tone.

These are my other recommendations for audiobooks and stuff which I can vouch for from a recent thread on here;

On 18/09/2021 at 07:57, Spatial said:

My fav's and recommendations;

- Dunwich Horror

- Mountains of Madness

- The Colour out of Space

- Call of Cthulhu (not the best story, but some good parts in there)

If you're cool with audiobooks there's a few good options - free on Youtube there's the Horrorbabble channel;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIvp_SM7UrKuFgR3W77fWcg

It covers lots of stuff (including Arthur Machen, one of the people who inspired Lovecraft).

Although if you want to spend money, I whole heartedly recommend the HP Lovecraft Historical Societies readings of Lovecraft

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/books/products/the-complete-fiction-of-h-p-lovecraft-an-audiobook?variant=48949486997

I'd also recommend their Dark Adventure Radio Theatre series - Lovecraft stories but they give them a 1920's / 1930's radio drama twist (complete with campy music, and fake radio style ads).

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/dark-adventure-radio-theatre

The drama's do take artistic licence with some of the stories to fit the format and in the name of entertainment (they'll introduce characters or small events for the sake of plot advancement, and later on start re-stringing some of those characters through episodes for a wider narrative world and twists).

13 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

You can't go wrong with the Penguin Classic paperbacks curated by ST Joshi.

On 28/09/2021 at 12:05, Stoppy2000 said:

I'll try part 3 at some point. No doubt I'll be slaughtered. What's the best thing to buy next to continue my Arkham experience? 

There's the Mythos Cycles - these add investigators, player cards and stories.

The problem is that you have to buy the base set and the 6 packs. Which can be expensive, especially if out of print. It also means your collection is huge (I have first 4-5 cycles) and a lot of cards, mostly player, you'll probably never use but you have to pay for as they're part of the set. (Danger of LCG)

There's a lot of power creep as they go as well. But also you might really want a Guardian card to Path to Carcosa pack 6 as it's amazing for all decks - but you need to buy the pack to get it, even if you hate Carcosa.

The new stuff they're release as 2 items - the entire campaign and all the player stuff. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/arkham-horror-card-game-edge-earth-campaign-expansion/

Which will make things easier.

I've done 5 of their campaigns and it's hard to think of an out right bad one. E.g. Forgotten Age is brutally hard, but also introduces fun new mechanics.

What you might be best to do is try some of the standalone scenario packs. They will just be a story/enemy set, but will be cheaper while giving you more gameplay. You can think if you want to commit to an really expensive campaign expac

• 1 month later...

Been a while since posting here.  Currently enjoying Forza Horizon 5 on the black box so board games are taking a breather, but still been a busy few months:

Obsession / Pax Pamir / Imperium classics - for forthcoming TTG column (all being well)

Then a bit of a Awakening Realms period

Finished the first campaign in Etherfields

Finished the main campaign in Tainted Grail with Beor and the woman after a couple of abortive attempts.  Really good game once you get the hang of taking your time in each chapter to explore, but without incurring penalties.  Easily the most sophisticated of the big "adventure book" type games out at present, with several different strands to pursue and no chance of seeing everything in one go.  The card based combat and diplomacy mechanics clever too.  Looking forward to playing the other 3 campaigns at some point.

Then another (exhausting) chapter in Middara.  I really like it but the pacing for a group is all over the place.

Then onto some new games (or new to me)

Robin Hood - the Michael Menzel version.  Really nice game.  The gimmick is the game board featuring a forest, a castle and a village, which functions a bit like an advent calendar.  You flip over spaces to indicate the presence of guards (to be avoided) and rich people (to be robbed). Other things like carriages and boats disappear from one space to appear elsewhere to indicate movement.  Another gimmick is the little wooden pieces which indicate the distance a character may move each turn.  You play a campaign but at heart the game has the same time and space dynamic of Andor - you have to interact with certain people, obtain certain objects and so forth before the timer runs out.  A branching storyline offers partial replayability.  The only snag is potentially damaging the board but a chemical spatula is ideal for the smaller tiles and the mini plunger from Queensdale at last finds alternative use for the big ones.

Euthia: Torment of Resurrection.  Duff name but absolute banger of a KS.  Think Mage Knight but with a more conventional RPG type progression in terms of skills and equipment.  Same random tile placement and limited number of actions though.  Better variety of activity too.  Excellent game for the solo gamer.

Glass Roads - obviously not new but the Capstone edition, which now includes very simple rules for solo play.  Really enjoyed this one as an uncharacteristically compact Rosenberg.  Fast but chewy.

20211106_144552.jpg

20211102_154306.jpg

Solid Memoir '44 sesh with m'pal this afternoon. We each took a turn at Sword beach playing as either side, allies losing both times, albeit a very close game when I played as them because I was able to see the mistakes he made - just came down to the dice roll on what turned out to be the final turn. Then Omaha beach as a decider and I drew the short straw, losing another fairly close game as the allies. Those German bunkers are nasty.

258880705_246481780802523_8932544980198155586_n.thumb.jpg.42a6dad285310d3e6f85b44197b73ec9.jpg