IGNORED

What are you playing?

jonnyalpha

The missus had been itching to play a board game with me; I suspect perhaps looking to scout a gap left by my ex but that's probably best reserved for the vitriol in Off-Topic. In any case, I thought a pleasant Sunday evening with Talisman (3rd edition and she insisted on using all expansions, y'know, the one I've been trying to flog for three years or so) would do. Unfortunately she's hooked - played two games the first night, until 0300 and another two the next night. Aptly pissed off with the Finger of Death spell but all in all very enjoyable. Think she'd prefer something cooperative thought. Fucking regret selling Warhammer Quest now.

I love reading about peoples RP games. It's a vicarious thing, I think. Good shit, Blunted.

Are there any podcasts, or blogs that do similar things?

The Major Spoilers Critical Hit podcast has an immense series of interlinked D&D campaigns.

http://www.majorspoilers.com/media/criticalhit.xml

Role-playing Public Radio (RPPR) has a long-running campaign set in a D&D equivalent of an unexplored American continent, as well as lots of one shots in other games. There's an emphasis on the paranormal investigation Delta Green setting for Call of Ctulhu, because one of the presenters writes Delta Green books.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/

RPPR itself can be pretty decent. Themed episodes (I like the Halloween episodes about horror games) tend to be better than the regular shows though.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/

The Warhammer Fantasy Role PLayer podcast The Enemy Within is supposed to be decent, and has an emphasis on character and story rather than action and dice rolls. The first episode opens with a customers going through the characters' inventories and taking them to task for all the weapons and magic items they were trying to smuggle in to the city, which I thought was fun. Reminded me of the Tortured Hearts 2 mod for Neverwinter Nights - it's one of those things that would usually be too irritating for a video game context, but would make perfect sense in the real world.

http://warhammer-enemy-within.blogspot.com/

Anyway, plenty to get your teeth into. On Twitter, @newbieDM's your man to follow.

There don't seem to be too many British podcasts dealing with RPGs, or at least, none I'd want to listen to twice. Hopefully Michael's Doctor Who adventure'll help plug that gap in the market.

Cool to have a partner that into board games.

Co-op and dungeon crawly? I'd suggest you check out Dungeon & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon

That's a good shout, cheers for that (although I detest the look of everything 4th rules D&D. Not too sure why) although a little out of my current price range; if I'm going to spend £50 on a board game, I suspect I wouldn't mind the extra for Warhammer Quest; I like the flexibility of it and, y'know, possessive irrational nostalgia. Fuck, am I pissed off I sold it.

Edit: That of course doesn't factor in the additional I'd pay for Quest... how much!?

Yeah, cursory glance at eBay and a few sites suggests I'm boned. I sold mine (on Rllmuk, actually, a few years ago) for £70.

I wonder if I can find their address again. Best get my thieving gear on.

Was there something special about it, or was it just a decent game that's now especially rare?

I've never played it but I did have Advanced Heroquest before it, which was a sweet little game.

From what I can tell WQ is Advanced Heroquest++ Super Deluxe Edition, with loads more minis, monsters, tiles, campaign rules etc. The perfect dungeon crawler as the hybrid of RPG and boardgame, which is how I remember Advanced Heroquest. It seems like WQ was the pinnacle of GW's '3D Roleplay' series in terms of how much "stuff" you got in the box for your £45

Plus it seems to be fairly rare.

I don't think the basic box included radically more than its predecessors, or any other dungeon crawl really. And the support wasn't that much more extensive either. The key difference was probably that the system was a close enough match to Warhammer that porting any Citadel miniature into your game was really easy - pretty much multiply Wounds by 5 and you're there.

Also, the default way of playing is co-op with no GM, and roleplaying was clearly an optional extra. Advanced HeroQuest had solo rules, but they were clearly a bit of an afterthought, and it had roleplaying elements throughout, even to the extent of some of the random encounters. Out of the box, WQ is a pure bash monsters and pick up loot game, like the original HeroQuest, with options to add however much complexity you want. Don't underestimate the power of nobody having to sheepishly pretend to be a beautiful damsel in distress halfway through the game.

And it's accessible enough to be a family game, where only hardcore nerds will persevere with something like Descent or even Doom. It might not be remembered as fondly if the vast majority of games of that type since hadn't kind of sucked.

The Adventure Book was a thick read, very thorough with some incredible options for development - I especially liked an additional risk of going to any town was that you had to roll to "decide" to retire there - but primarily I'm attracted to its marriage with simplicity. The missus wouldn't really enjoy something too complicated. Quest would allow us to carry on with some continuity without doing too much homework.

Edit: Also;

Cool to have a partner that into board games.

Fuck is it. She's fiercely competitive but hates losing. Apparently the best revenge is, sorry to be crass but we're all adults here, rough sex.

I'm scared...

So you beat her at a game and you get rough sex as a "punishment"

Um....I'm not seeing a downside here.

Edit: oops. I negged you as a bit of a joke but felt bad so went to cancel it and have discovered you can't remove them. Sorry.

Unfortunately we've missed the obvious; this is a sub-forum about board, card and collectable tabletop games. I clearly have no girlfriend. Dum-dum-dum. Anyway, I'm off to gawp at more extortionate prices.

Edit: Going back through my messages, I sold it to Biglime for £60. Fucks fucks fucks sake.

So what your'e really saying is that when you lose (to yourself) you like to masturbate furiously?

Anyway games night tonight! Well really it's drinking night with a portion of gaming. Hopefully get Pandemic & Death Angel out and give them a proper go. Though if we get too pissed too quick I can see it being a Zombies!!! night as it's perfect for a drunken gaming session.

So what your'e really saying is that when you lose (to yourself) you like to masturbate furiously?

Usually while angry at myself. Try it yourself!

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures from our first game, when she decided she was actually enjoying herself. Nothing exciting but it requires a surprisingly large area to play with all the expansions. The dragon is missing from the tower, it's in another city. Excuse the filters, she has a propensity for using those tacky photo apps smartphones have nowadays. I'm trying to ween her off them.

21574810150210958466763.jpg

20647310150210958041763.jpg