What are you playing?

jonnyalpha

My mate got a copy off eBay, pretty sure it's a Chinese knock-off using the PnP version. It's actually pretty good quality and has a nice box and everything. 

Edit: Looking at the PnP version, maybe it is a real copy. It's in full colour and has nice envelopes for the cards, box is nice, card track is glossy card etc.

On 08/12/2017 at 16:06, Mortis said:

Nah that sounds like the Chinese knock off ive got on order - I fancy the game but the official version costs a bomb at the moment. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Newest-Funny-Cards-of-Secret-Hitler-For-Makers-Party-Bithday-Game-Xmas-Gift/182906445798?epid=22004224702&hash=item2a9612dfe6:g:EzAAAOSwuq9ZaJVg

That's the one! The game is great and I have no complaints as to the quality of the knock-off, certainly at that price.

We do use a "Make America Great Again" cap instead of the president marker though.

• 2 weeks later...

Not technically a board game but would highly recommend for anyone that enjoys escape room/Unlock puzzles - Journal 29. 

I got it today from my secret Santa at work and it’s been melting my brain since. Each pair of pages has a puzzle and QR code/link - you go to the page and put in the puzzle answer - it gives you a key that you write into the book. 

The keys are used as solutions/clues to later puzzles, you’re encouraged to fold pages, search the web, draw, combine answers etc - basically use everything at your disposal to unlock the puzzles (don’t cheat and google the answers though :) )

It’s got 63 puzzles and so far after several hours I’m up to number 11 and stumped. 

It's pure puzzles so far but they are so diverse I don't really mind. There may be some revelation as I get further in (I'm only on 23 of 63).

What's keeping me going is the fact you don't know what the next puzzle style will be before you flip the page and that thee's no real guide or hints given beyond what you see. This means that even the simplest puzzle can have you scratching your head for hours. I spent 3 hours with a puzzle last night to eventually have it click and be the simplest and most obvious thing.despite the solution being in front of me for a large part of that time.

17 hours ago, Mortis said:

Not technically a board game but would highly recommend for anyone that enjoys escape room/Unlock puzzles - Journal 29. 

I got it today from my secret Santa at work and it’s been melting my brain since. Each pair of pages has a puzzle and QR code/link - you go to the page and put in the puzzle answer - it gives you a key that you write into the book. 

The keys are used as solutions/clues to later puzzles, you’re encouraged to fold pages, search the web, draw, combine answers etc - basically use everything at your disposal to unlock the puzzles (don’t cheat and google the answers though :) )

It’s got 63 puzzles and so far after several hours I’m up to number 11 and stumped. 

Many thanks Mortis, as a late Xmas present for my sister, this sound perfect. :) 

Deadly premonition 

Didn't back but a buddy did as looked rubbish and new designers with no previews with proper  boardgame people (eurogamer doesn't count)

It was okay, played 2 player so no hidden traitor but is just playing cards to:

-move your doods up
-thier doods down
- special cards that can do one offs or round effects 

Edit :explaining end game:

Everyones doods start as suspected, your goal is to make all your doods presumed innocent then you can use evidence to blame another doods dood to knock them out. In two player you win! In traitor they reviel their identity. 

That's about it, in a hidden traitor game there is the social tactic of trying to get everyone to pick on somone as they are dodgy but no proper mechanics to encourage it/work with it - from what I can see. 

There is evidence battles but that's just playing opposite cards if you have them.

Was just okay, but the end game can take a while if you have bad card draws and if you set up a perfect chance to win next turn your random draw could ruin it anyway. We went through the deck one whole time right at the end as of some back and forth and bad draws @_@

Overall not impressed/10 but will have to try 4 player for final judgement

Dropmix 

I know it's gimmicky, but with harmonix behind it and a good Review from the GameboyGeek I grabbed DropMix from Game as had credit and discount. (also on amazon) is just dexterity playing cards quickly to match what is requested - but a high production/quality version with music. 

That being said its a lot of fun and that's me playing solo or messing around freestyle. Will have to wait till 2018 for multiplayer opportunities. 

Star Trek Ascendency

Bought this on Choas Cards when was about 50% off. Big Trekkie, and have enough board game chums (lots of whom are Trekkies) to play (you have to have 3 with the base set).

I then got drunk and pre-ordered the BORG expansion. Which adds an NPC faction, and makes the game 1-2 player friendly).

Tried it solo (first game) last night. The BORG stomped me proper (understand what I did wrong though).

It works pretty well - although outside of the Borg it felt thematically quite light. It's a 4x game with Star Trek Flavour Text (which to be fair is what it says it is). 

It feels more complex than it is - pretty much everything basically comes down to rolling dice, there's just a list of different modifiers to apply. It makes sense as you play it (part of the reason for a solo run was to practice before taking it out to other people) glad I did so.

I don't think there's much life in it as a solo game (I'd play Arkham LCG happily solo, but can't see myself playing this solo again, beyond practicing rules).

If you've got a 4x game (Xia for instance) it's hard to recommend getting this as well for it's price. If you're looking for one (especially if a Trekkie) this is worth keeping an eye out for.

Splendor

So people at group have been talking about this as some sort of divine level of gaming perfection.

Played it for the first time last night...and it's ok? Simple/quick to teach and play, but just seemed to just "occur"...and then someone suddenly wins?

There's good ideas in the mechanics (liked the reserve feature) and it's perfectly acceptable - but I didn't get the impression of some sort of gaming Nirvana. It also seems to be very light on talking/interaction, even socially as people focus.

Potion Explosion being played at the other end of the table looked much more fun :(

On the other hand the gem tokens feel amazing. 10/10

I like Splendor - mainly as it's one of the few games my other half will actually play :) it's a good game for teaching folk new to the hobby and there's a decent bit of strategy in building up your engine. It also packs down nicely into a bag for taking on holiday (despite the massive box it comes in) and the poker chips are great to handle.

If you're looking for a similar mechanic with a bit more interaction try Century:Spice Road.

Splendor is a very nice filler but yes it is a bit dry and has only the slightest of interaction with the other players.

I've been playing Charterstone with my regular play group (5 of us) the past couple of months and we've almost got to the end with 10 of the 12 games now played. I was loving it but the last session where we played 2 games left me feeling a bit dissapointed. The early games where you have a drip feed of new mechanics and the game is constantly changing are amazing but it feels like it's run out of steam a little bit now. I'd still recommend it though.

I've also played a lot of 878: Vikings lately. It's a light wargame for 2-4 players where one side is the Vikings trying to conquer England and the other is the English trying to stop that from happening. Rules are very easy and streamlined which lets you focus on strategy. The sides play totally differently too with the Vikings attacking as a massive army that can steamroll areas and the English often putting up a best line of defense and then chipping away at the Vikings where they can. Lots of fun and worth a look if you having a passing interest in wargaming but are put off by the rulesfest that these games often are.

Imperial Assault

Well this was great fun. 

Tutorial, Mission 1 And 1st Side Mission done in about 4 hours. 

Very clean and easy rules (campaign transition/set up took a couple of reads) 

Seems to be quite a variety in which missions you do and what happens in them

We had to learn quickly that time pressure (either from turn limits or enemy escalation) matters. A lot. Focus on objectives. You can’t move slowly or try and kill every last enemy.

And that getting wounded (or killed) isn’t that bad.

And also only open doors at the start of turns!

Some light Spoilers for missions follow so being safe

Gaarlak (angry melee wookie) Gideon (Commander) Mak (sniper) And Diala (melee/support) took on the Empire.

In Mission 1: Had to press through some troops into a base. (6 turn limit to smash computers.) Ad soon as I  (Diala) stepped through door to base it slammed locked and I ended in a shooting gallery dodging for my life to survive.

Very tight to win this. We pushed lots and it still came down to a dice on last action.

A7426CF8-D5D1-4179-A749-8F9CF97DE844.thumb.jpeg.e7677717ab6eba1a1868e0555c0334d1.jpeg

(This was after I’d taken out a turret to the left side of the picture!)

Side mission 1 was tense. No time pressure but the Empire player gaining reinforcement points constantly caused issues. We’d clearer the base as we got into the core and recovered the data...only for an army of storm troopers and Imperial Guards to block our exit. 

Luckily our angry Wookie has a grenade he’d found - killing pretty much all the troops in one go so he could leg it through the the guards to the extraction point and victory

18 hours ago, Hexx said:

Imperial Assault

Well this was great fun. 

Tutorial, Mission 1 And 1st Side Mission done in about 4 hours. 

Very clean and easy rules (campaign transition/set up took a couple of reads) 

Seems to be quite a variety in which missions you do and what happens in them

We had to learn quickly that time pressure (either from turn limits or enemy escalation) matters. A lot. Focus on objectives. You can’t move slowly or try and kill every last enemy.

And that getting wounded (or killed) isn’t that bad.

And also only open doors at the start of turns!

Some light Spoilers for missions follow so being safe

Reveal hidden contents

Gaarlak (angry melee wookie) Gideon (Commander) Mak (sniper) And Diala (melee/support) took on the Empire.

In Mission 1: Had to press through some troops into a base. (6 turn limit to smash computers.) Ad soon as I  (Diala) stepped through door to base it slammed locked and I ended in a shooting gallery dodging for my life to survive.

Very tight to win this. We pushed lots and it still came down to a dice on last action.

A7426CF8-D5D1-4179-A749-8F9CF97DE844.thumb.jpeg.e7677717ab6eba1a1868e0555c0334d1.jpeg

(This was after I’d taken out a turret to the left side of the picture!)

Side mission 1 was tense. No time pressure but the Empire player gaining reinforcement points constantly caused issues. We’d clearer the base as we got into the core and recovered the data...only for an army of storm troopers and Imperial Guards to block our exit. 

Luckily our angry Wookie has a grenade he’d found - killing pretty much all the troops in one go so he could leg it through the the guards to the extraction point and victory

Love me some IA, interested to see more mission reports as you progress :D

Get ready for a tough one next mission. 

A good tip is to think carefully about your action economy. Say you have 0 strain and are attacking an object or enemy with just 2 health left and intend to move after:

Option 1: Attack enemy, roll 2 damage and 1 surge. Enemy dead, you take your move and suffer 2 strain to move 2 more spaces. You now have 2 strain.

Option 2: Take 1 strain for +1 movement. Attack enemy, roll 2 damage and 1 surge. Enemy dead and you can use the surge to recover 1 strain. Take another strain for another movement. You can now move to the same spot as Option 1, but will end on 1 strain.

25 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Well that's just silly. We were really hindering ourselves!

Daila's Way of the Sarlacc...each of those is an attack right? That doesn't look so bobbins now

(Do you only ever get 1 xp per mission? )

Yep, with Way of the Sarlacc you will get to make one attack against each adjacent enemy. If you have a weapon with Cleave, you could potentially trigger it from the attacks to really fuck a group up.  Item spoiler below:

Spoiler

Diala might find a lightsaber with Cleave 2 if you complete a certain mission.

You will always receive 1 exp per story mission, and either the Rebels or Imperials will get an additional exp point for winning. Common house rule (suggested and used by one of the designers) is to limit the possible exp difference to 1 to avoid snowballing. So if the Rebels lose a story mission, they will receive the full reward for the next story mission whether they win or lose.

Here's a thread with some common rule mistakes: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1319188/what-are-some-crazy-or-common-rule-breaking-mistak

Wait. We (Rebels) only got 1xp for winning total both the first campaign mission and the side mission

Imperial Player got 1 for both too...

Edit - Don't know about the side mission but the first mission doesn't seem to give extra XP (just credits) for a win

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/84/fc/84fcff54-eafe-45ec-acf4-538a86e1acfc/imperial_assault_learn_to_play_guide.pdf (Page 12 - the Campaign obviously isn't on the web :))

Aftermath doesn't give the extra exp for winning or not (just extra credits). 

You and Imperial probably should have gotten 1 exp each for the side mission, but I think some of them may vary. Let me know what mission it was and I'll check.

Um...green mission, gave adrenal implant if we won, break into a what seems to be deserted base (desert planet outside) and steal intel, one of us had to get it escape.

Think we got 1 each. Don't worry that seems fair. 

Saving up 4xp could take a while and I want like 3 other things (Battle Meditation, Defensive Stance and Force Throw stand out)

4 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Um...green mission, gave adrenal implant if we won, break into a what seems to be deserted base (desert planet outside) and steal intel, one of us had to get it escape.

Think we got 1 each. Don't worry that seems fair. 

Saving up 4xp could take a while and I want like 3 other things (Battle Meditation, Defensive Stance and Force Throw stand out)

Yep if you got 1 exp for the side mission (A Simple Task) that's correct. Only the story missions give an additional exp for winning. 

4 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Yep if you got 1 exp for the side mission (A Simple Task) that's correct. Only the story missions give an additional exp for winning. 

Gahhh 4 missions saving up for that then.

I think Defensive Stance or Battle Meditation has got to be next. (I've got a special coat that turns evades into blocks, and with foresight - my white dice is amazing. Particularly now we know attacks can regain surge).

Force Adept seems utterly utterly broken. No range or usage limits (beyond once per event?)

Those 3 and Force Throw (90% change to deal 1 damage and move something 3 spaces) were my wants...the 3xp stuff for Diala doesn't seem as great. Attacks do seem much better now though with surge, so gonna have to think about the 4xp stuff

You should have 4 exp if you win the next mission (1 from Aftermath, 1 from side mission, 2 if you win A New Threat).

Aye Force Adept is good, Diala is pretty strain heavy though, which limits her and makes it important to remember the surge rule.

Don't tease. You know that we want to know what that is?

So what is it?

I've got a few kickstarters coming this year, I haven't used kickstarter since I bought Glory to Rome: Black Box Edition about 7 years ago, and am looking forward to the arrival of Minty Delivery, Tim Fowers Now Boarding and the first batch of the 7th Continent. Here's hoping they all arrive when they should.

14 hours ago, Mortis said:

Just about to try a solo play of my first Kickstarter arrival of 2018

so pretty

351049DC-81F8-4AB5-8B7C-9307F7C7C2AE.jpeg

Played this the other day (two player). I liked it although I think I might prefer some of the variants with the different ways to use the action stones. It's definitely very pretty.

Jonny, think it's called Tao Long.

Yeah it’s Tao Long - the pic was my first try but adding on portals that let you jump across the map and the stones that block paths should improve the game immensely.

The mancala for move selection is brilliant and watching you don’t give an opponent the move they want is almost as important as making your own move. 

Haven’t looked at the advanced variations for that where stone colour and the flux coin come into play to change how you move the pieces.