The 2011 Rllmuk Academy Awards Pool

Darragh

The Rllmuk Academy Awards Pool 2011

Yes, it's that time of year again - Oscar time! And with Oscar time comes this, the THIRD annual Rllmuk Academy Awards Pool. Rather than bore you with any further introductory ramblings, here, for your perusal, are the rules:

General:

• The entry fee will be a £5 Amazon.co.uk voucher. The e-mail address to which this is to be sent will be PMd to each confirmed participant. I will then hold the list of codes (without spending them, of course!), which will be sent to the winner upon the completion of score-tallying.
  • The deadline for submission of entry forms is 10pm on the 27th February. Entries received after this time will not be accepted.
  • Entries are to be PMd to me, and cannot be altered once submitted.
  • And don't worry, I will not, under any circumstances, open your PMs until the deadline has passed or my choices have been locked down. I will PM my own choices to whatever participant volunteers to receive them, just to allay any fears that I could try and alter my choices in my favour after the ceremony. [update 15/2: lordcookie now has my picks!]

Scoring System:

• We will be utilising a weighted scoring system for the competiton. There are 24 awards to be given out on the night, which we will split into 3 groups of 8. The first group (the 'major' awards) will be worth 3 points. The second group (the 'secondary' awards) will be worth 2 points, and the final group (the rest) will be worth 1 point.
  • The categories, nominees, and template for submission of voting forms can be found below.
  • The winner will be announced on the day after the award ceremony, at the latest.

Prizes:

• The prize will be a series of Amazon vouchers, each with a value of £5. The more entrants we have, the more you can win, so encourage others to participate! Whether or not we will split up the prize pool can be decided amongst the participants once the final number of entrants is confirmed.

Tie Breaker:

• In the event of two people being equal on points at the end of the night, the winner will be decided based on points earned in the major four categories (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress). (Credit to lordcookie for this idea!)

Participants:

• Capwn
  • Dazza
  • DeadRussian
  • Exidor
  • Fry Crayola
  • Futch
  • Goose
  • Hardwired
  • jon_cybernet
  • lordcookie
  • Marlowe
  • OMGJones
  • poppa_f
  • sith
  • therearerules

Underlined = Picks Submitted

Bold = Paid Up

I know there's a lot of rules, but we're dealing with people's money here, so I feel it's appropriate that we make it as fair as possible! And now...

The Nominees:

Group 1: 3 Points

1. Best Picture

A. Black Swan

B. The Fighter

C. Inception

D. The Kids Are All Right

E. The King's Speech

F. 127 Hours

G. The Social Network

H. Toy Story 3

I. True Grit

J. Winter's Bone

2. Best Actor

A. Javier Bardem (Biutiful)

B. Jeff Bridges (True Grit)

C. Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network)

D. Colin Firth (The King's Speech)

E. James Franco (127 Hours)

3. Best Actress

A. Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right)

B. Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole)

C. Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone)

D. Natalie Portman (Black Swan)

E. Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine)

4. Best Supporting Actor

A. Christian Bale (The Fighter)

B. John Hawkes (Winter's Bone)

C. Jeremy Renner (The Town)

D. Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right)

E. Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech)

5. Best Supporting Actress

A. Amy Adams (The Fighter)

B. Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech)

C. Melissa Leo (The Fighter)

D. Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit)

E. Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom)

6. Best Director

A. Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)

B. David O. Russell (The Fighter)

C. Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)

D. David Fincher (The Social Network)

E. Joel & Ethan Coen (True Grit)

7. Best Original Screenplay

A. Another Year (Mike Leigh)

B. The Fighter (Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson & Keith Dorrington)

C. Inception (Christopher Nolan)

D. The Kids Are All Right (Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg)

E. The King's Speech (David Seidler)

8. Best Adapted Screenplay

A. 127 Hours (Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy)

B. The Social Network (Aaron Sorkin)

C. Toy Story 3 (Michael Arndt, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich)

D. True Grit (Joel & Ethan Coen)

E. Winter's Bone (Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini)

Group 2: 2 Points

9. Best Cinematography

A. Black Swan (Matthew Libatique)

B. Inception (Wally Pfister)

C. The King's Speech (Danny Cohen)

D. The Social Network (Jeff Cronenweth)

E. True Grit (Roger Deakins)

10. Best Animated Feature

A. How to Train Your Dragon

B. The Illusionist

C. Toy Story 3

11. Best Documentary Feature

A. Exit through the Gift Shop

B. Gasland

C. Inside Job

D. Restrepo

E. Waste Land

12. Best Short Film

A. The Confession

B. The Crush

C. God of Love

D. Na Wewe

E. Wish 143

13. Best Film Editing

A. Black Swan (Andrew Weisblum)

B. The Fighter (Pamela Martin)

C. The King's Speech (Tariq Anwar)

D. 127 Hours (John Harris)

E. The Social Network (Angus Wall & Kirk Baxter)

14. Best Visual Effects

A. Alice in Wonderland (Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas & Sean Phillips)

B. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz & Nicolas Aithadi)

C. Hereafter (Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojansky & Joe Farrell)

D. Inception (Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley & Peter Bebb)

E. Iron Man 2 (Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright & Daniel Sudick)

15. Best Original Score

A. How to Train Your Dragon (John Powell)

B. Inception (Hans Zimmer)

C. The King's Speech (Alexandre Desplat)

D. 127 Hours (A.R. Rahman)

E. The Social Network (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)

16. Best Foreign Language Film

A. Biutiful (Mexico)

B. Dogtooth (Greece)

C. In a Better World (Denmark)

D. Incendies (Canada)

E. Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi) (Argentina)

Group 3: 1 Point

17. Best Sound Editing

A. Inception (Richard King)

B. Toy Story 3 (Tom Myers & Michael Silvers)

C. Tron: Legacy (Gwendolyn Yates Whittle & Addison Teague)

D. True Grit (Skip Lievsay & Craig Berkey)

E. Unstoppable (Mark P. Stoeckinger)

18. Best Sound Mixing

A. Inception (Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo & Ed Novick)

B. The King's Speech (Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen & John Midgley)

C. Salt (Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan & William Sarokin)

D. The Social Network (Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick & Mark Weingarten)

E. True Grit (Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff & Peter F. Kurland)

19. Best Original Song

A. "Coming Home" from "Country Strong" (Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges & Hillary Lindsey)

B. "I See the Light" from "Tangled" (Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Glenn Slater)

C. "If I Rise" from "127 Hours" (Music by A.R. Rahman; Lyric by Dido & Rollo Armstrong)

D. "We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3" (Music and Lyric by Randy Newman)

20. Best Makeup

A. Barney's Version (Adrien Morot)

B. The Way Back (Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk & Yolanda Toussieng)

C. The Wolfman (Rick Baker & Dave Elsey)

21. Best Animated Short Film

A. Day & Night

B. The Gruffalo

C. Let's Pollute

D. The Lost Thing

E. Madagascar, Carnet de Voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)

22. Best Documentary - Short Subject

A. Killing in the Name

B. Poster Girl

C. Strangers No More

D. Sun Come Up

E. The Warriors of Qiugang

23. Best Costume Design

A. Alice in Wonderland (Colleen Atwood)

B. I Am Love (Antonella Cannarozzi)

C. The King's Speech (Jenny Beavan)

D. The Tempest (Sandy Powell)

E. True Grit (Mary Zophres)

24. Best Art Direction

A. Alice in Wonderland (Production Design: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara)

B. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan)

C. Inception (Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat)

D. The King's Speech (Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Judy Farr)

E. True Grit (Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there are your nominees!

Please submit your picks in a PM to me, using the following format:

1. A

2. B

3. C

4. D

5. E

...and so on

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that pretty much wraps it up! Make a quick post here to confirm you're up for it, and you can go about sending the Amazon voucher and PMing me your picks in your own time (provided it's before the deadline!)

• 2 weeks later...

You have PM! Also, vouchers and picks received from lordcookie and Goose. I haven't looked at them yet, as I haven't finalised my predictions (Best Supporting Actress is a killer), but I should have mine sent to lordcookie for safekeeping tomorrow!

I've PMed you all! I've also updated the participant list in the OP. Thanks for joining up, lads. :) It always makes that interminable ceremony much, much more fun.

I'm still working on my picks - I've had a last minute internal crisis over some major categories, which is tearing me apart. I finally made my tortured decision in Best Supporting Actress last night, and now I've gone all flaky over my choices in three more 3-point categories! IT NEVER ENDS. If this forum ever makes it long enough to host the 10th annual Rllmuk Oscars Pool, I'll be a quivering, spent husk of a man come awards season.

So is it usually fairly easy to find streams for the show? I don't have Sky, and it'd be a shame not to be able to watch it live.

I've had access to Sky for the last two years, but I never had too much trouble finding a stream in years before that. Just find a busy film forum (I've used Empire's in the past), hang around before the ceremony starts, and a few links should show up.

A few of the animated shorts are floating about but I think on the whole you just have to take a guess on those sort of awards. Normally just read up on the synopses of each on IMDb and you can usually guess the winner (well that is what I've always done and I think my record for those categories is still 100%).

where did you see the nominated Short films (animated and live action)? Of all the categories this is proving the most difficult to find, outside of a few Documentary and Foreign Language nominations.

I managed to 'acquire' The Gruffalo (and it is a sweet little short) but yeah, as lordcookie said, I think it's going to have to be take a guess territory for most of the shorts. You're Cardiff-based, right? Gasland is coming to Chapter on the 25th (just in time) if you've missed that one.

I managed to 'acquire' The Gruffalo (and it is a sweet little short) but yeah, as lordcookie said, I think it's going to have to be take a guess territory for most of the shorts. You're Cardiff-based, right? Gasland is coming to Chapter on the 25th (just in time) if you've missed that one.

Yeah, I've got the Chapter catalogue and was going to see Gaslands on its opening day. Still got Waste Land and Inside Job of the Documentaries to watch too.

Cheers for the link, Lordcookie, I'll give them a watch in the morning.