Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

Nicely done, strawdonkey. What site do you write for? I don't tend to check out many articles but will definitely give it a read.

How did you guys do at the prerelease? I went 1-3 on Saturday morning with possibly the best sealed deck I've ever made. Chose white for the promo and hoping for Oblivion Ring-for-dummies (got lucky with second-to-last box, apparently everyone had the same idea), I pulled an Athreos, a Whip of Erebos, a reasonable selection of removal, and baby I had a stew on. I had the bones of a very healthy BW aggro deck (which is kinda what I'm aiming towards for standard at the moment), with a couple of Nix-Fleeced Rams for a bit of lifegain. 14 dudes, seven removal spells and a few tricks, I think the deck deserved better than I gave, played very badly* coupled with some unfortunately occurrences - including drawing eight consecutive lands before my opponent milled all seven of my removal spells and someone else ultimating Ajani after I got them to two life.

*Went to FMN Friday night, stayed out drinking with friend and back to ours for whisky + Street Fighter until 0400, possibly not wise.

But I had a really good time, and one of my friends traded for an Athreos on my behalf so all in all, can't complain. What about you guys?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I meant to reply to this a while ago and forgot. I write for Xtreme Trades - they're a great store down in Colchester, who were good enough to run a bunch of World of Warcraft TCG events with me when that game was still going. If you're ever in the area and want to play cards I can't recommend them highly enough :)

I personally finished 2-2-2 (win-loss-draw) at the pre-release - my deck was OK but I played against so many players who had the blue promo, Scourge of Fleets, who blew my moderately aggressive deck up every time it was played. On the other hand, almost any game I resolved the white promo, Dawnbringer Charioteers, I crushed my opponent.

I think I prefer non-seeded sealed, though hopefully future seeded packs will contain a promo of a slightly lower power level :)

Yup - I'll be there for the Saturday at least, but will be heading to UK Games Expo if I don't make day 2 :)

Any idea what you're playing yet? I've been working on a deck for a while which has acceptable matchups against everything I've tested it against so far.

Any idea what you're playing yet? I've been working on a deck for a while which has acceptable matchups against everything I've tested it against so far.

I was going to do what PaddyO is and play side events, but the format looks fun and now I've changed my mind so I am going to. Not sure what I'll play yet. Something straightforward aggro. Just getting ready to watch today's Pro Tour Coverage. I should take the laptop out into the garden! :D

Everyone who's going - we'll have to meet up and do some trading!

Just getting ready to watch today's Pro Tour Coverage. I should take the laptop out into the garden! :D

Having spent all bleeding day doing the garden and other chores, I'm going to do just that!

Happy to discuss lists if you want a starting point too. My list is even reasonably cheap.

Having spent all bleeding day doing the garden and other chores, I'm going to do just that!

Happy to discuss lists if you want a starting point too. My list is even reasonably cheap.

So pleased Chapin won. 3rd game of the last match was so interesting!

I've got a devotion deck sorted - one of my own brews. :)

Let me know if you think you'll make it down on the Friday!

Nothing galactic like a $1,000 card there but most of those are worth a reasonable amount, been on the lookout for quite a few of those for a while.

I'm not too sure whether a.) This is poor form for any of the other Magic player on Rllmuk interested in bidding* and/or b.) eBay policy on pulling auctions but I'd be keen on grabbing the lot off you, if you're up for offers.

*Seriously, let me know if I'm being a fuckslot.

How did you guys at Manchester do? A few folks from my local group went but I was home playing scumbag EDH with my scumbag commander*. Unfortunately I didn't catch any coverage but it was by all accounts good fun.

*... Edric. I didn't know, okay, I didn't know when I traded for it, guys, alright!?

I went 2-3 drop, then spent the rest of the day surprising people with the Modern Event Deck, finishing 3-1-2 in a proper Modern event.

Disappointing main event but got to see a bunch of old friends and spend all day playing cards, so can't complain!

I do enjoy MTG but I do find it really overwhelming. I'm shit at building decks too. The only real way I play it these days is with the versus deck sets. We do a best of three one go of each deck and then coin flip for the last game.

Also tried the decks where you play against an automated deck. Not as good as other solitaire games

Conspiracy is a lot of fun. It differs from a lot of draft formats in that almost the entire set is really powerful, so you will see really good cards coming around in the draft really late. I came second in my game and won the second game, and it's just a shame I probably won't get to draft it again for a while as I'm busy all weekend.

Paddyo - I opened a pair of Edric, Spymaster of Trest in my draft, so if you want one of those for your cube let me know and we'll work something out :)

On a similar note I'm looking for Godless Shrines (rare B/W land - not the Guildgate - from Return to Ravnica) if anyone has some.

Strawdonkey, i might be interested in Edric, i have bought a box of conspiracy to draft next friday so if i dont open him then i will probably be in touch :) do you have any more trades at all? Or does anybody else?

paddyo, a friend of mine is looking downsize his Magic collection to a Melira Pod deck, I'll PM you his list and if there's anything you like the look of, let me know. He's basically only looking for Linvala or stuff to trade towards one.

Vintage Masters pre-release events are on MTGO this weekend. Thought I'd try my luck at cracking some power nine in a draft.

The entire contents of my three boosters was worth about three tickets all in, but I have just gained a turn four concession using an Orcish Lumberjack equipped with two Elephant Guides.

VMA's release has crashed the market on a lot of the previously-valuable commons, so I'm going to invest a few quid in some Pauper staples and might put together Legacy Goblins while everything is cheap!

Crushed it 2-0, 2-0, 2-0. Karivek's Torch is utterly ridiculous and definitely the correct first pick; Elephant Guide is solid and the Goblins are loads of fun.

$25 a draft though - christ. All it takes is one Power Nine out of one of your packs though and you're in richtown though, so...

[edit] Also I made a complete hash of one of the games in my second round and still wasn't even close to losing... I had two Kindle (1R for two damage to target creature or player, plus one extra damage for each Kindle in all graveyards) in hand, had a 4/4 and my opponent has a 3/2. I go to Kindle his guy and attack for 4; instead I SOMEHOW kindle my own guy and attack for 4 meaning that I have to spend the other Kindle on his guy.

Also I misread Giant Strength as an Instant. It's not. It's an Enchantment, and you can't play those during combat, so I was two damage short of killing the same guy in the same game for no good reason.

Luckily I ripped a Chain Lightning off the top before it got too embarrassing :)

Draft #3: Red/Blue. It's basically all Goblins all the time - I first-picked a Chain Lightning out of a really mediocre pack and now just have a pile of burn and aggressive dudes.

Cycling Choking Tethers to force damage through is super-satisfying, and Man-o'War is just so good.

Have the option of sideboarding into Black if for some reason this isn't aggressive enough, with two Carnophage, a Chainer's Edict, Tyrant's Choice and a Spinal Graft.

This draft format is amazing and I really wish it didn't cost so much!

[edit] Horiffic flood (with only 16 lands - how does that happen then?) in the final round did me in, with me drawing more lands than spells for the final two games after going one up.

You might be surprised! Wasteland - Tempest Uncommon = £35+, Force of Will, Alliances Uncommon: £35+, Gaia's Cradle:Urzas Saga Rare - £70+. Mirage Lion's Eye Diamond £50+

If you spread them out to just show the names and take a photo we'll soon tell you of any ones worth money.

I don't play much any more (lack of friends nearby that play plus small child), but thought I'd take a look in this thread for old times sake. Glad I did, as I had no idea some of the my collection are worth this much!

I've been meaning to go through for a while, but if there is anyone on here that is after anything specific let me know and I'll look through my cards.

e.g. I have a full set of Mirage so have a Lion's Eye Diamond - would rather sell to someone on here if anyone is interested than bother with eBay

Most of my other cards are from 4th edition onwards, with lots of Ice Age, plus a few beta, unlimited and revised cards.

Christ, your collection could be worth a small fortune - even unexciting stuff in good condition from Beta can be worth a surprising amount. It will definitely be worth the time going through it and separating out the stuff that's worth more than a few dollars - look at somewhere like Star City Games or Channel Fireball for a guide on how much stuff sells for.

Here's the SCG page for Beta cards. http://sales.starcitygames.com//spoiler/display.php?&s%5Bcor3%5D=1001&foil=nofoil&for=no&r_all=All&t_all=All&g_all=All&sort1=11&sort2=1&sort3=10&numpage=100&display=3&startnum=600

There's a Tropical Island on there which is in "MP" condition - basically "a bit scuffed". It's a thousand dollars. Ones in good condition are an extra $500 on top of that. Old cards are scary expensive!

Blimey - that's unexpected! I don't have many beta cards, but will definitely try to find the time to take a look through what I've got - thanks for the link.

My friend (that I used to play Magic with) will be gutted..... he had a collection similar to mine, but his ex-wife threw them all away when they separated :(