Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

Might be worth getting a MTG app like decked. Put your collection into it and then using it to price it up from the various sellers.

A friend has his MTGO collection in decked. Comparing it to MTGOTraders puts his MTGO account at $7k.....

$7k.....

Liking the VMA draft reports, strawdonkey. I don't play on MTGO so the Vintage stuff is gonna pass me by entirely. Sounds like you haven't encountered any frustratingly unfair bullshit yet.

Also, fair play to Bustopher on the find, really makes me wish I still had my old cards.

Two more VMA drafts in the bag:

#4: Red/Green Madness

Didn't open anything exciting for this draft, so picked a Battle Screech (2WW that makes two 1/1 birds, with flashback) and then found nothing nice in White for the rest of the draft. Picked up a few Goblins but nothing exciting, though had double Fires of Yavimaya, two Wild Mongrel (2/2 for 1G that lets you discard a card to give it +1/+1), two Basking Rootwalla (1/1 with benefits for G, or 0 with Madness) and three (!) Arrogant Wurm (3GG for a 4/4, or 2G with Madness).

Also a Goblin Trenches (1RW for things), with a fetchland to fetch the Plains.

The Plains that I neglected to include in my deck.

2-1 with this one, lost in the final to a UG Madness deck that was doing exactly the same stuff as me (right down to discarding Roar of the Wurm (6G, make a 6/6 Token - Flashback 3G) to get it for cheaps on turn 4. I had one of those too, but he got the right cards at the right time and had clearly drafted incredibly well.

post-4983-0-36225700-1403215613_thumb.pn

#5: GW greediness

Masticore is a weird card, and I'm not going to lie - the first time I saw it, I couldn't get over the drawback of having to discard a card at the start of your upkeep each turn. Then, I watched someone draft it in Cube, and do horribly broken things with it.

Masticore is worth 0.01 tickets but I give approximately no fucks as it was an easy first pick. Draft was a bit funny, was originally aiming for UW but Blue was either plentiful or non-existent, and picked up an Elephant Guide (2G, enchanted creature gets +3/+3; when enchanted creature dies, make a 3/3 token) early on so eventually switched into GW.

Had an embarrassment of playable rares come my way too, so it would have been rude not to splash Red for Basandra, Battle Seraph, and Blue for Plea for Power, as well as a Council's Judgement and Radiant, Archangel (only an Uncommon!) that were on-colour.

Another 2-1 - lost to a slow hand against an aggressive RG deck, but it was all worth it for the final match against UG Madness, where I resolved Basandra, nullifying any kind of combat tricks my opponent might have, then resolved Masticore, and then spent the rest of the game holding his board off with those two cards and repeatedly pinging his Wild Mongrel until he'd discarded his entire hand to save it.

post-4983-0-24921000-1403215630_thumb.pn

Absolutely glorious. I even remembered to include a Blue and a Red land this time.

So VMA is an incredible draft format, but the packs also cost $7 and I am not made of money. For as long as I keep posting 3-0 or 2-1 results I'm going to keep drafting, but the moment I 1-2 or 0-3 I'm selling off the last of my packs and calling it a day for the sake of my bank account :)

Seriously though, it is the best - and I would totally recommend taking the plunge even once just to get to play such a powerful and fun format.

[edit] Be aware of the huge potential for value loss though - I've just counted up all the stuff I've drafted, and... all of the rare cards I have picked are worth a COMBINED total of about 6.5 tickets. Obviously you could just open a Black Lotus and sell it in an instant for 250 tickets, but there is a lot of stuff that is great to draft but is just not worth any money whatsoever :)

Draft #6: Grixis Control (BRu)

All good things must come to an end, but this feels like something of an anticlimax. I think this deck is amazing, but I got mana screwed/flooded every single game, with the exception of the game I mulliganed to five (after my opening hand featured one land). My final round opponent didn't show up so I guess I won a match, but was really hoping to see what the deck did once you drew a reasonable mix of lands and spells, rather than nine lands and three spells.

post-4983-0-80552400-1403299462_thumb.pn

It has two wraths, piles of removal, a bunch of ridiculous value creatures and tools to get out of almost any situation - but sadly we'll never know what it was actually capable of.

Total value of rare cards drafted: 0.04tix

I may do *one* more draft over the weekend - but that's definitely it. At the rates that I could sell these to Goatbots for, I've acquired 6.31tix worth of value out of ALL of the rare/mythic cards I've drafted. On the plus side, if you need anything from VMA it's definitely a buyer's market...

I went in for one last go. Green Black nothing in particular. Feels like quite a poor deck but I've just crushed my first round opponent. Opened a whole TWO TICKETS worth of cards this time.

Unless I 3-0 I'm out. I've not won the Power Nine lottery but I'm fine with that now - I've had my fun :)

[edit] I went 2-1, continuing the trend of overachieving with bad decks and not quite getting there with good ones. Cashed out my remaining packs. It's been an adventure :)

[edit 2] Drafted Theros block with some packs I had lying around in the evening as the missus went out. Black White pile of garbage - 2-1. See above!

Bushtopher, is there any chance you could write a list of your cards up? Or even if it is a list of just rares? There are loads of cards i would be interested in that i could look through a list for :)

I'll try to start doing this this eve and will post up here when I do.

Where is the best place to sell, generally? eBay, or are there UK based magic sites worth putting them on?

You wont get much selling to dedicated shops tbh... there is a great uk facebook group for selling and trading though, are you on facebook? If so search for Uk and Ireland Cards for sale and trade group :)

Remember to post your list here first though :P

The Facebook group is alright, Bustopher, somewhere you'll find a quick, definite sale. But it is littered with massive pricks and most of the "established" members are very keen to try and fleece new members. Sounds like paddyo knows his stuff more than I do but let either of us know if you want to sell over there and I'll try to help.

Thanks both. I'll definitely be posting anything up here first. I guess the easiest place to start would be with Mirage as I have a complete set. Do you think it's better to sell all in one go or individually? How much do you think a full set is worth?

I'm not too sure about whether it's better to sell as a set or individually - suppose a set would be better for set collectors but I don't even think the Facebook group is much good for that. Obviously selling individually is quicker and can help with getting full value on each card but you'll likely end up with leftover cards.

Re: values, you can check Magiccardmarket for European prices (full set of Mirage averages around €172), or Starcity Games for $.

Sadly there is no easy way to sell cards for cash, especially not when a lot of it is bulk. Be prepared to accept an offer that is lower than what the set is worth according to MCM/Star City/etc as most people only want the playable cards rather than a full set. It is very difficult to monetise your collection as an individual full stop, as generally the convenience of shopping at a store outweighs a small saving buying privately - so you tend to only be able to attract lower offers for cards due to all the extra pissing around.

It's likely that you'll end up with a few cards that are worth more than the rest of your collection put together - but at the end of the day once you've a rough idea what everything is "worth" you can slap a price on it and start haggling. If you go in armed with knowledge then you won't get ripped off :)

To be honest, I don't want to get rid of all of them - too many good memories from playing the game! If there are some that are valuable then I'm happy to sell those - eg Lions Eye Diamond - to get enough to buy a Sonos Play 1. Figure it's the easiest way to justify buying another bit of Sonos kit to the wife :)

Mirage as you say has lions eye diamond which is very expensive, also the tutor cards are fairly expensive though not nearly as much as the lions eye. Spirit of the Night is maybe worth a fiver and possibly flash too as i think that used to be played in a show and tell style deck.

I can say you will definitely have interest in these cards on the facebook group, not sure about anything else from mirage though!!

I've picked out a few of the cards which seem to be worth the most - let me know if anyone here is interested, but if not I'll stick on eBay/Facebook:

Scrubland (Revised) - £35
Lion's Eye Diamond (Mirage) - £35
Mishra's Factory (Summer) (Antiquities) - £10
I think most of my older cards are packed away somewhere - found a few beta/revised/unlimited cards but they were pretty much all commons/uncommons.

I'm pretty keen on the Lion's Eye but I know paddyo's expressed interest in it well before I even considered it so I'd be glad to take it if paddyo decides against it?

I'm not interested in the higher end cards actually. I may be interested in random commons/uncommons more likely for EDH or cube :)

EDH?

Will look through my lands when I get a chance a let you know what beta cards I have. I have some foreign cards too which I'd forgotten about! Need to find my other folder of cards.... definitely missing some - hoping they'll be at my parents house.

I may be interested in random commons/uncommons more likely for EDH or cube :)

I just looked up this 'cube' term you lot are bandying about. The cube draft, eh?

Bloody Hell. I used to think collecting a decent set of around 80 cards that would make a decent deck and sideboard was tough, but getting 360+ together?

Genius idea for keeping older cards in demand, mind.

Scrubland (Revised) - £35

Lion's Eye Diamond (Mirage) - £35

Mishra's Factory (Summer) (Antiquities) - £10

I've sold the Lion's Eye Diamond now. Any interest in the others?

Think I have a Force of Will too (Alliances? The flag symbol? Been too long!) so will look to price that up if anyone interested in that?

MTGO wide beta news: still completely unusable. Freezes for about 30 seconds whenever anyone takes an action.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has such catastrophic issues as I do with it!

[edit] So it looks like my PC can't handle Magic Online. It's running W7 64-bit, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo something or other and an SSD - and that is apparently not enough grunt to play a card game. Tried it on another machine I had access to - XP 32-bit, similar processor, no SSD and 4GB RAM - and it runs just fine.

Barmy.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck this shit. Just spent £10 on a draft online. First hand had no cards in my first two opening draws, and then 1 land and mulliganed down to 4 cards. Same thing happened next game. Is there anywhere I can sell my collection for cash, I'm not giving wizards any more fucking money.

And the Magic 2015 app looks like it might actually let you create fully custom decks this time, from a pool of over 900 cards.

Not played around with it much yet, but certainly seemed like it...

It's not very good from what i have played. Really bad ai and the mana tapping is retarded. It's the. Worst version i have played since they started.