Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

Anyone going to the PTQ in Milton Keynes*? My plans for the weekend have unfortunately fallen through and I've space in a car reserved for me [when] I change my mind. It's definitely something I'm tempted to do, and would certainly prefer to have an abundance of like-minded friends, but it seems a little too far down the rabbit hole. A strange attitude considering how invested I've become in Modern.

On that note, I've been playing a lot less than usual but did manage to fit in my first games against Jund (red, green and black deck filled with Good Stuff). My opponent, who claimed some impressive top 16 attendance at numerous UK events, claimed that his deck was worth over £1,000 and it was not hard to see how - it was actually my first time playing against playsets of Tarmogoyf, Dark Confidant and Liliana of the Veil. Bugger even had Unhinged foil lands for his four basic lands.

I've moved on slowly from UW Twin (a red and blue infinite combo deck) as, despite providing plenty of wins at local FMNs, it made my wins feel fraudulent. I like my games grindy and despite how good Remand-into-Cryptic-into-Twin combo is at cheating as early as turn four victories, I don't really know if I was having fun.

But I'm not a very good player – anyone reading this will surely be able to tell – and a friend advised that I play UWR Kiki (a red, blue and white control deck with a late-game infinite combo). It’s not yet complete but in good enough shape where it would be churlish of me not to have some casual games.

Anyway, Jund. I won. Some horrifically [awesome] grindy games with a lot of back-and-forth (he had one game locked until I squeezed a Sphinx's Rev for seven before beginning a Celestial Colonnade/Restoration Angel beatdown). I actually feel that it is a better deck than Twin as it has the benefit of a great control shell supporting punchy resilient creatures and a massively unfair Plan B in the form of an infinite combo.

Anyway, Modern FMN tomorrow night and then I’ll probably bore you fuckers with a PTQ report next Monday when I cave in.

*Magic brings out the worst in people. So many people be so keen to go to Milton Keynes.

Not going to PTQ, i dont really play competative magic, just casual. Good luck if you do go mate, modern seems a fun format :) Let us know how you get on there and at FNM, always like to hear tourney reports :)

Oh yeah, i built a cube, me and my playgroup are loving it atm :)

I would like to go to the PTQ but have to pick my events carefully. Modern deck isn't quite up to scratch so I tend to aim for limited events instead. I'm usually found playing Burn or BW Tokens (the Event deck with some tweaks) - both have their good and bad matchups and can largely hold their own but I'm still a bit too new to the format.

UWR is a pretty difficult deck so will be interested to see how you fare at a big event with it. If it helps at all, I finished 14th in my first PTQ and only missed top 8 because I blocked like a twat in my win-and-in! Go in with the mindset of having some fun and playing some Magic and you never know what might happen.

Good luck!

So, a friend wanted to give M15 a go, and asked me to go doubles on intro decks with him so we could play each other (he'd also gone to the prerelease and bought a fat pack, but the idea with the intro decks was to allow us to compete on roughly even footing, rather than him just flattening me/having me use his decks. Seemed a fair idea to me, so we each paid £8 and took ahold of an intro deck each.

Imagine my surprise (and my friend's dismay) when, in one of the two free boosters with my intro deck, I managed to draw Garruk: Apex Predator. Well, that's my intro deck paid for!

did my free 2015 draft

won match one

lost second to a white black deck with 2 white mythics and 3 white rares (including the angel that gives you 20 life after I got him to 1)

lost 3 game to a 3 turn nissa and a 4th turn nissa

lost 4 game to a green combo that featured garruk and the black and green soul mythics that were all played on consecutive turns.

Fuck this game, fuck it in the arse. Glad I sold all my cards after that spectacular showing.

Oh and I of course pulled a load of fucking shit.

did my free 2015 draft

won match one

lost second to a white black deck with 2 white mythics and 3 white rares (including the angel that gives you 20 life after I got him to 1)

lost 3 game to a 3 turn nissa and a 4th turn nissa

lost 4 game to a green combo that featured garruk and the black and green soul mythics that were all played on consecutive turns.

Fuck this game, fuck it in the arse. Glad I sold all my cards after that spectacular showing.

Oh and I of course pulled a load of fucking shit.

Youre going to hate me mate. I just played my free sealed deck and got a Nissa and a foil Ajani Steadfast in my pool!! Went 2-2 with a R/W aggro deck, nothing else in Green worth playing so couldnt play Nissa :(

I had a Garruk, Apex Predator, Chord of Calling and three of the Red Paragons. Unfortunately the deck itself was pretty underwhelming despite those highlights, and as far as Limited is concerned, it may as well be called Chod of Calling :)

I went 1-3, don't think I played very well but it was definitely one of the worst pools I've opened in ages as there wasn't even a consistent but boring deck to run with.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm back on the MTG train after buying my friend the 'Speed vs. Cunning' duel decks set for Christmas. This weekend is the pre-release of MTGO Fate Reforged. Might try out a sealed session, and then a draft depending on how that goes.

Just finished the first game in my draft... Got whooped by a guy playing five-colours. :( He'd just sat there and built up to 29 health with all of his special lands and then dropped a couple of bombs at 6/7 mana that I couldn't get rid of. wtf.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anything that lets me point pictures of lightning at my opponent, like a low-rent version of Patrick Sullivan

Heh, I lolled!!

Good article! I'm not playing in the main event. I've only got the Saturday spare so I'm going to do a few drafts, get some cards signed, buy and trade some cards, and probably enter the Saturday afternoon Legacy. Looking forward to it :)

Well done Strawdonkey. I saw you did well because Xtremetrades tweeted about you! :)

That was a good event - only downside was that because it was so busy, they didn't start side events until 3pm on the Saturday. This was a shame as I was there at 9am and was hoping to get in on some drafts in the morning. So I ended up doing a lot of a buying, selling and trading then playing in the Legacy in the afternoon and going 2-2 drop because I had to get a train home. Ah well.

It was a good venue I thought in a good place. Shame they probably won't be able to do one there again as it was basically full with no more floor space to expand in to.

At London I'm playing in the main event and going Friday-Monday so am already looking forward to that.

• 2 months later...

Yeesh!

I've managed to get a couple of boxes for £305 (one of those crazy amounts of money where people afterwards say, 'That's a good price!'), but I actually wanna keep them for a couple of years before surprising my friends who've long forgotten about them and say 'Let's draft!'

Did two drafts today, and while not quite a foil Goyf was rewarded with a foil Cryptic Command in the second draft.

And a foil Comet Storm in the first. Of all the Mythics to open... it's absurdly good in limited, but worth a pittance in comparison to the rest.

Did two drafts today, and while not quite a foil Goyf was rewarded with a foil Cryptic Command in the second draft.

And a foil Comet Storm in the first. Of all the Mythics to open... it's absurdly good in limited, but worth a pittance in comparison to the rest.

Went 2-1 in a draft yesterday, and in the match I lost it was because of Comet Storm wiping me out in two games. Absolute bomb, but yeh not one you want to open if you aren't drafting.

Did another draft today - really enjoy this draft format.

I rare-drafted a Cryptic today and pulled a foil Karn in a non-draft pack yesterday, so not bad.

Have been at Manaleak's eternal weekend this weekend. 41 players for Vintage yesterday. Played unpowered white trash. 6 rounds, won 2, lost 3 drew 1. Obviously not great but super fun. Favourite moment was using a Judges Familiar to counter an Ancestral Recall. Least favourite moment was forgetting to counter a Yawgmoth's Will with aforementioned Familiar! :)