Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

haha!! sounds like a really fun tournament, not a bad amount of players too. Have you got a decklist at all?

It's a brilliant amount of players for type 1 in the UK :) Think I'm going to play in the Vintage at the GP.

11 plains, 4 ghost quarter, 4 wasteland, 1 strip mine, 1 Karakas

4 Leonin Arbiter, 4 Leonin Relic Warder, 3 Thalia, 3 Student of Warfare, 3 Kataki War's Wage, 2 Simian Spirit Guide, 2 Porcelain Legionnaire, 2 Grand Abolisher, 2 Aven Mindsensor, 1 Jotun Grunt, 3 Judges Familiar

4 Swords to Plowshares, 3 Stony Silence, 3 Grafdiggers Cage, 1 Lotus Petal.

Also did another MM2 draft yesterday. Went 2-1 with a Mono White Artifact Affinity. Lost last match to 5 colour good spells. It's actually quite easy to fix your mana with this set so if I get a chance to draft again I'll force 5 colour :)

I've seen a couple of D&T/Hatebears decks recently that are inexplicably not playing Aether Vial. Yours is also one - is that down to the amount of Artifact hate in Vintage, or is it deemed acceptable to pay full-price for your two drops these days?

I've seen a couple of D&T/Hatebears decks recently that are inexplicably not playing Aether Vial. Yours is also one - is that down to the amount of Artifact hate in Vintage, or is it deemed acceptable to pay full-price for your two drops these days?

The meta for this probably meant more unpowered decks than usual, which would mean more artifact hate, plus doesn't go well with your Katakis, Stoney Silences or Thalia.

You'll probably find that there are some semi-scheduled Legacy sessions leading up to the GPT in case you're wanting a bit of practice beforehand. Have you joined Dark Sphere's MTG Facebook group, as there's a very active community based around the shop.

I just joined but it's already annoying me with the constant updates. Not that I could actually play right now as I'm borrowing all of the dual lands and Wastelands from people in my old group in Oxford, have to wait until the actual event before I get my hands on them.

It'll be fine. How hard can Legacy be, eh?

Definitely getting in to this, probably the physical form rather than online (although I did play through the tutorials on iPad to get a flavour of how the game mechanics work. I'm awful.)

I like the idea of building up a blue and black deck. I also prefer the idea of the Modern format, as I'll be starting as a new player with no cards - I'll want a nice big variety of all sorts I can play with and put in to a deck or decks.

I guess my question is, where the hell do I start? Also - Will the M15 cards become useless in Standard format when Origins is released? I was thinking maybe get the 2015 core builder pack and then a fat pack of one of the most recent blocks (Khans, Dragons, or Fate)

I'm so confused. I just want the shiny rarez.

heeeeelp

How often are you going to play, what's your budget, and how serious do you intend to be?

The Standard format moves really quickly - cards that are two years old (soon to be cards that are 18 months old) rotate out of Standard. This keeps the format fresh and always changing, but if you only play once every two months then it's a giant money pit.

Modern is my favourite format, and is everything from (I think) Eighth Edition onwards, with a banlist. It's played a little less than Standard, but you can invest in a deck and in a year's time it will often not need a huge amount of work done to it.

Alternatively, if you're just going to be playing casually with friends, just play whatever the fuck you want :)

I think if I do play anywhere, it'll be Modern format. I'll have more of a selection of cards to choose from and what not. I can also purchase older booster packs and fat packs or whatever - it will all be deck relevant.

I will try to introduce a friend or two to the game by getting them to try Magic 2015 (the one on ipad and steam). I've been enjoying that. I reckon by the time I've made a 'real' deck, I'll have enough cards to make someone else up a nice deck too (not to keep - just to play and get them HOOKED)

I've been playing on my gf's iPad, so I'm going to assume when I start playing now on my Steam ID on the PC, it will be totally fresh. When I've practiced a bit, I'll put my name here so I can join the multiplayer antics.

Edit: to answer your questions more specifically - I don't have a set budget in mind to buld a deck. I wasn't planning on buying singles (if I did in future it would probably be for the collection). I might decide I don't want a black/blue deck and I'll be able to maybe build a red deck for example, if I've been buying booster packs and an intro deck or starter pack or something.. Haven't decided yet. I'm looking forward to the collecting side. Want a couple of booster packs of Mm2015 as I'm going the modern route anyway. Should be easy enough to get a game on with someone who's new as well, with the rules next to me. Maybe I'll aim to make 2 decks which are a solid match up.

I reckon I'll head to one of the FNMs and watch a game at some point.

After thinking about it for a while, I made a purchase last night. Got a few booster packs from different blocks, plus the "2015 deck builder's kit".

Picked up 2 booster packs today for the 1st time. 1x fate reforged and 1x dragons of tarkir (couldn't resist whilst I was in town). I pulled a mythic rare out the first pack! (Monastery Mentor). Seems like I hit the nuts with my first 2 boosters. I got a load of really good blue cards and some decent black ones. Even a black/blue dragon. YES!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up that I am giving away a load of Magic cards if anyone here is interested! See here:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/23307-for-free/?p=10462926

I am also planning to sell the cards Intuition (Tempest), Reflecting Pool (Tempest) and Null Rod (Weatherlight) if anyone is interested - I would rather sell them to a forumite who actually plays the game for a favourable price than stick it on ebay where the bulk buyers buy them to sell on! Drop me a PM.

What did you open mate?

Good cards like Hixus, Prison Warden in the first event (but worthless chod as far as value goes), and reasonable cards in the second event along with a foil Gideon. I misbuilt my second deck so things could have gone differently. Turns out two-drops are really important in this format, like every other format - film at 11.

Gideon is really good for what it's worth.

I'm taking my first baby steps into this game after a couple of colleagues learned that I play a lot of Hearthstone. Apparently we're doing a sealed draft from an Origins booster box next week, which sounds entertaining, but I want to get my feet wet with casual constructed too. After some research it seems that there's a Deck Builder's Toolkit and a Fat Box coming out soon, and it seems like the Fat Box might be the best value for money given the rather poor reviews that I've seen of the Toolkit. Has anyone any experience with either? (will also accept any n00b advice that will enable me to crush my opponents in the draft ;) )

Fat packs are 8-9 packs and some land; toolkit is a load of cards in a box, but without any of the fun of opening boosters :)

For your Sealed event, stick to two colours, play 15+ creatures, 17 land, combat tricks and cards that kill creatures. Avoid cards with a narrow scope - such as cards that kill enchantments and artifacts without doing anything else.

Make sure you have a lot of creatures that cost two and three, and avoid low-impact creatures like 1/1 for one mana as they get quickly outclassed. Two attack is the best starting point, and while something like a 1/4 is great at blocking, 1/1s are generally worthless.

Finally, avoid cards that don't do anything on their own. As you play more, you'll be able to evaluate these better, but cards that rely on you taking specific actions to gain value from them are often too narrow to be worth the effort.

In short:

- Two colours

- Lots of creatures

- Creature kill spells and damage spells

- Avoid 1/1s

- Avoid cards that do nothing alone

- Avoid cards with a narrow scope

If you play best of three, you can bring in some of the more narrow cards based on what your opponent plays in the first games.

Thanks, really appreciate that :) I'd never have clicked about the choosing two colours so that's really useful. I probably would've gone mad on cards that do things like destroy artifacts since one of the few games I've played was with a friend's commander deck which used them in some god forsaken way that meant he had another whole turn within his opponents and that's biased my view of them!

Also, curve like a bastard. You want to come out of the gate fast as consistently as possible across your games, even if it's only to get some early defence out. It's a little trickier because you don't want the 1/1s unless they do something that gives them mid to late game impact.

In Magic, value the cheap cards a bit more than in Hearthstone, and the six plus mana ones a fair bit less as you don't get a guaranteed land drop per turn.

Also, curve like a bastard. You want to come out of the gate fast as consistently as possible across your games, even if it's only to get some early defence out. It's a little trickier because you don't want the 1/1s unless they do something that gives them mid to late game impact.

In Magic, value the cheap cards a bit more than in Hearthstone, and the six plus mana ones a fair bit less as you don't get a guaranteed land drop per turn.

That's a good point about the lands / mana cost. In Hearthstone arena I tend to value 2 and 3 drops very highly for the same reasons you mention above, so I'll keep that in mind.