Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

You might also get a lot out of the current Clash Pack - a two-player set that can combine into a relatively decent Standard constructed deck.

It won't win any competitions, and some have had questionable worth, but the Origins Clash Pack looks very attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

4x Monastery Swiftspear

4x Foundry Street Denizen

4x Frenzied Goblin

4x Goblin Piledriver

4x Goblin Rabblemaster

4x Dragon Fodder

4x Hordeling Outburst

4x Titan's Strength

4x Searing Blood

4x Obelisk of Urd

20x Mountain

Sideboard

4x Stoke the Flames

4x Smash to Smithereens

4x Fiery Conclusion (should really be Roast, but I'm terrified of coming against an Archangel of Tithes)

3x Harness by Force

I came up against a mono white lifegain deck that beat me in the first round and again in the quarter final, a BW aggro thing that was just slower than mine, a UW control that I struggled with, and the red deck that won Pro Tour last week. There was a 5th round, but I was offered a draw and I took it to guarantee both of us top 8. I felt bad doing that, but it seems to be the done thing at my store, and I didn't want to upset the other guy. Record of 3-1-1 to rank 5th.

Awesome GP, so well run! Best GP I've been to. Met with mates, drank beer, spent cash, played lots of cards!

Went 3-1 in the Vintage on Saturday with Merfolk (with blue power, + Lotus petal instead of a Lotus). 16 players. I would have been happy winning one match. To go 3-1 was awesome.

Yes I will counter your Beta Lotus with my 15 pence Steel Sabotage, hah! :)

Made a few tweaks overnight and played in the Vintage again on the Sunday with Merfolk. 25 players. Excellent turnout for Vintage. Went 2-1-1, but that's only because we Id'd the last round for a guaranteed 70 tickets each. Then proceeded to crush UR Mentor 2-0 in the friendly, so I like to think I went 3-1 again! ;)

My loss on the Sunday was probably the most enjoyable loss I've ever had. (Against Oath). The games were crazy. One game, I forced, dazed, Flustered, sabotaged everything. Opponent on 4 life, only one card could save them: The Black Lotus. Proceeded to top deck it and play Yawgmoth's Will. Well sheeeeeeeeeeeeet, hah :) Replayed their graveyard against me, including a Balance I'd countered once already. Destroyed me. F-me, what a format.

Having played a fair bit of Hearthstone over the past year, I was keen to start playing Magic after a friend's recommendation. I now have a decent collection of cards and a couple of decks that I'm excited about trying out tomorrow round my brother's house with two other friends and some beers. I'm beginning to get my head around the rules, but one play in an episode of Spellslingers I watched yesterday really confused me (from around 14 minutes in this video):

I don't understand why her choosing to pump her creature by +1+1 is ignored. I know Sean explains the play once it's completed but I'm still a bit baffled. Surely her pumping it to a 6/7 means that it would be out of lethal range for his play?

It's what's known as the "stack". When you respond to a spell, your card goes on top of the other player's, forming a stack of cards. This process carries on until no further responses are made, then the stack resolves from the top, downwards. So events inside a stack are played out in reverse order, meaning you can do things like the above, dealing damage before the buff is applied.

I think I understand. In this case, the 2 damage was part of one stack of spells which resolved, and then the second round of spells was part of a separate stack? This means that by the time Sean dealt the 4 damage his own creature would have been dead, right?

Yes, but there's only one stack, and it doesn't belong to anyone. It's just a way of visualising the order in which things will happen. Basically, whenever anything at all happens on the stack, both players get a chance to respond by playing further spells or abilities. If both players pass, the current top spell resolves, and then you both get a chance to play again. It's Last In-First Out, so you can always trump a Giant Growth by Shocking the creature while it's still small - which can then be stopped with a Counterspell and so on.

This might explain better: http://www.essentialmagic.com/articles/thestack.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, popping back in here for a bit of clarification. I'm confused by the play in this article: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/magic-origins-goblins/. It says that on turn 3 the player would be able to summon Obelisk of Urd, I assume using the goblins produced from Hordeling Outburst to help pay for it. However, wouldn't those goblins be suffering from summoning sickness and thus be unable to contribute towards its mana cost? Help!

• 6 months later...

Did anyone attend any prerelease events this weekend? Myself and a group of friends went to Shadow Games in Rugby yesterday and had a brilliant time. I made a white/black deck that relied heavily on removal but, in retrospect, lacked the cards to get Delirium firing as often as it should. Tooth Collecter saved me on a couple of occasions: either removing a minion outright or bringing it within lethal range to ward off a blocker. I went 2-1-1 to place 5th out of 19 which I thought was quite respectable for my second prerelease. I really like the theme of the new set. Thematically I don't find the Eldrazi in the least bit interesting, so hopefully Emrakul won't spoil things too much when she eventually shows up in this block!

• 2 weeks later...

I played two - a solo event (4-1-1, 5th of about 45 players) and a two-headed-giant event, 3-2 for 8th.

Early days yet but I really love the set and want to draft it an absurd number of times. Considering skipping the GP Manchester main event so I can play limited all weekend, it's that good!

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to. The whole thing is expensive. (We've been spoilt by SCG's GP London last year.) Planning to play in the daily Vintage events (£15 each) and then just play old school casuals  and meet friends I think.

• 4 weeks later...

How was everybodys GP?

I had a great time, played 2hg sealed and won a box of SOI which me and friend played pack wars with, opened most cards we needed from the set. Played lots of Commander, though not sure people were prepared for my Narset Chaos deck and also went to five guys, WOW!! Five guys is amazing!! the seasoned fries were so nice!!

Also a mate who i travelled with came 10th in the GP and qualified for pro tour sydney so well chuffed about that :D

• 1 month later...

Won my Eldritch Moon prerelease today. Secret of success is not preparing because you think the event isn't for another couple of weeks.

Set seems good, looking forward to drafting it in a few weeks time.

[edit] as for the GP... maybe I'll talk about that later when I've gone to get into it. Wasn't hugely impressed.

• 3 months later...

Is everyone liking the new set? I pulled a Chandra and a Combustible Gearhulk at my prerelease and proceeded to pilot my three-colour deck into the abyss to finish 1-3. Despite that, I'm really enjoying Kaladesh and managed to pick up a Mana Crypt Invention from a prize pack at a friendly sealed deck event last week. Limited has been a bit of a revelation for me in recent months, and I've found both draft and sealed deck events to be just the right mix of fun, challenge and competitiveness!

Standard is so expensive, though. I live in a relatively small town so it's sometimes difficult to organise trades. I've joined a group in Oxford so I'm hopeful that will broaden my trading options. The GB Delirium deck costs almost as much as a competitive Modern deck.

That said, I have been throwing some money at my Modern UB Fae deck in recent weeks. I don't resent spending money on Modern cards as much as I know I'll still be able to play the deck in years to come. Every time that money leaves my account I try to reason with myself that it's a sound investment (you can't put a price on good fun and quality time with friends, right?).