Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

I've been stuck on BW Control in Standard for a while. I'd like to try other decks, but between that and my Narset Commander deck, it's hard to justify the cost. I'm also hoping to have a competitive Modern deck together for the Birmingham GP next year, my BW Tokens is just too weak. I'm thinking Naya Burn.

As for the new set, I think the Gearhulks are great. I played against a sweet Mardu Gearhulks deck at Game Day, I might just copy it.

Yeah, Kaladesh seems like a really sweet set. I've only played a couple of times (4-1-1 at my prerelease for fifth place and some more Sealed with friends) but there's a lot going on and a lot of different things you can do.

I've also been putting a cube together - had one back in the WoWTCG days and while I can't really justify the cost of a "real" cube, having one featuring only commons and uncommons has been fun to put together. Here's the list, adapted slightly from another user's list (and in dire need of updating as it's a few sets out of date): http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/42878

As an aside, if anyone has any of the non-highlighted cards that they're looking to shift, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 19:10, Klaark said:

Is everyone liking the new set? I pulled a Chandra and a Combustible Gearhulk at my prerelease and proceeded to pilot my three-colour deck into the abyss to finish 1-3. Despite that, I'm really enjoying Kaladesh and managed to pick up a Mana Crypt Invention from a prize pack at a friendly sealed deck event last week. Limited has been a bit of a revelation for me in recent months, and I've found both draft and sealed deck events to be just the right mix of fun, challenge and competitiveness!

Standard is so expensive, though. I live in a relatively small town so it's sometimes difficult to organise trades. I've joined a group in Oxford so I'm hopeful that will broaden my trading options. The GB Delirium deck costs almost as much as a competitive Modern deck.

That said, I have been throwing some money at my Modern UB Fae deck in recent weeks. I don't resent spending money on Modern cards as much as I know I'll still be able to play the deck in years to come. Every time that money leaves my account I try to reason with myself that it's a sound investment (you can't put a price on good fun and quality time with friends, right?).

There is a really cool mtg trades group on Facebook, I think its called UK and Ireland mtg trades

On 25 October 2016 at 19:10, Klaark said:

Is everyone liking the new set? I pulled a Chandra and a Combustible Gearhulk at my prerelease and proceeded to pilot my three-colour deck into the abyss to finish 1-3. Despite that, I'm really enjoying Kaladesh and managed to pick up a Mana Crypt Invention from a prize pack at a friendly sealed deck event last week. Limited has been a bit of a revelation for me in recent months, and I've found both draft and sealed deck events to be just the right mix of fun, challenge and competitiveness!

Standard is so expensive, though. I live in a relatively small town so it's sometimes difficult to organise trades. I've joined a group in Oxford so I'm hopeful that will broaden my trading options. The GB Delirium deck costs almost as much as a competitive Modern deck.

That said, I have been throwing some money at my Modern UB Fae deck in recent weeks. I don't resent spending money on Modern cards as much as I know I'll still be able to play the deck in years to come. Every time that money leaves my account I try to reason with myself that it's a sound investment (you can't put a price on good fun and quality time with friends, right?).

Pretty late to the party, but I know someone in the Oxford group[-ish] has Modern UB Faeries for sale, think he'll do singles too.

He doesn't go anymore, but he's still in the area and will turn up to a Wednesday casual to sell, and I can point out a few people who'll know/remember him, if you want vouches.

• 1 month later...

Anyone make it to a prerelease this weekend? I put together an artifact-centred UB effort that was so stupefyingly slow I only managed to complete one of my four rounds. Still, I went 2-1-1 so I was quite pleased. However, I teased my friends prior to the event about some unlucky sod pulling a Secret Salvage and then, of course, it ended up being my promo.

So I am going to start a new job in about a fortnight. The reason I am starting that job is because there is a game, called Shadowverse, that is BRILLIANT. it is one of the most popular games in Japan right now. And it was created by a bunch of ex magic pros. Which is why! I am posting here. If you like card games you should check it out. Honestly the combos are exquisite.the balance is nuts - I think 90 percent of the games I have played have gone right down to the wire.

So apologies for hawking my wares but I love this game so much and I want other people who might love it to discover it and I think it would be perfect for magic fans.

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 13:49, Klaark said:

Anyone make it to a prerelease this weekend? I put together an artifact-centred UB effort that was so stupefyingly slow I only managed to complete one of my four rounds. Still, I went 2-1-1 so I was quite pleased. However, I teased my friends prior to the event about some unlucky sod pulling a Secret Salvage and then, of course, it ended up being my promo.

I built the same thing, had 2 of the 4/4 hexproof dude at the top end. Hexproof seemed a waste though, seemingly nobody I played ran any removal. Came 2nd with 3 wins and a draw.

I'm not feeling Standard right now though, especially now they seem ban-happy. I'm actually at the post office right now posting out playsets of Liliana, Gideon, Kalitas and Avacyn. Gonna spunk the cash finally putting Naya Burn together. 

On 18/01/2017 at 13:30, Keiths_Dad said:

I'm not feeling Standard right now though, especially now they seem ban-happy. I'm actually at the post office right now posting out playsets of Liliana, Gideon, Kalitas and Avacyn. Gonna spunk the cash finally putting Naya Burn together. 

Same. Our (admittedly small) playgroup had a number of decks hits by the bannings and it's certainly cooled our interest. We've all turned to Modern which, while potentially victim to the same problems, seems a bit more resilient with potential replacement cards and strategies.

13 hours ago, Klaark said:

Same. Our (admittedly small) playgroup had a number of decks hits by the bannings and it's certainly cooled our interest. We've all turned to Modern which, while potentially victim to the same problems, seems a bit more resilient with potential replacement cards and strategies.

The thing with Modern bannings, particularly recently, is that they don't tend to kill the deck outright - Splinter Twin being the exception in the time that I've been playing. Even with Gitaxian Probe and Golgari Grave Troll gone, Infect and Dredge will still be very competitive, just not quite as broken. Losing Emrakul killed the Delirium decks, and Copter and Reflector Mage going may just have tanked UW Flash, which is ridiculous when you consider just how expensive the rest of the deck will have been to put together.

What are you playing in Modern? Like I said, Burn is happening for me, but I'm thinking my BW Tokens deck can get a lot stronger with Fatal Push and Hidden Stockpiles from the new set. I'm also finally shelling out for the Marsh Flats to finish it after almost 18 months of building.

Aye, my brother is buying into a Jeskai control deck which was hit by the Gitaxian ban, but it's not crippled the deck like these Standard card bans have to their respective decks. I think we've all found the cost of the land to be the most prohibitive when buying into our decks - Scalding Tarns, Creeping Tar Pits and Arid Mesas aren't cheap.

I play UB Fae. The recent unbanning of Ancestral Vision has given the deck some much-needed card draw. It feels like you're really taking the piss when you draw 3 cards to refill your hand, and then go to your draw step. Fatal Push fits quite neatly into the deck, too. I like that it occupies a place between aggro and control, and working out when to adopt each strategy is immensely rewarding when it goes to plan. I'm going to try and git gud ahead of August's Modern GP.

• 3 months later...

There's not much chatter in here, so I figured I'd tag you @strawdonkey. I didn't do prerelease, which is a shame as the limited environment looks great - hopefully I'll get a draft in this weekend to make up for it.

As for the set as a whole, I'm pretty hyped for it - enough so that I'm planning on playing Standard again, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying so soon after the ban wave and subsequent 2 deck format. I'm currently brewing a Grixis control deck, using Chandra, Torrential Gearhulk and Glorybringer as win conditions. Glorybringer looks filthy as a finisher.

I made it to prerelease last weekend and went 2-1-1 with a grindy UB deck. Like you chaps, I'm enjoying the new set and look forward to drafting it with my play group in a fortnight. It's not tempted me back into Standard, though. Instead, I'm putting together a Bant Spirits deck for Modern. Why do I do this to myself and, more specifically, my wallet?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inspired by the last couple of weekends going to watch people play Magic in Kyoto I bought a duel deck today. First Magic cards I've paid money for in about 20 years. Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis. Hoping to persuade my nephew to play it with me in Hawaii next week.

50 minutes ago, Tourist said:

And possibly my marriage.

Got told off by my wife when the decks turned up at home...

Meanwhile, in my office at work...

in my defence some friends and I play sealed every time a new set comes out they're not all mine honest

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from GP Birmingham, which was a blast. Managed to finish 5-4 overall with my Boros burn deck, which was my target for the day. Managed to pick up some cards to finish my Legacy burn deck, and a few sideboard cards for BW Tokens as well, so all in all a great weekend.

Was anyone else there?

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, strider said:

Absolutely loving ixalan online. Dinosaurs and pirates. What's not to love? Seriously considering spending some cash and making a naya dinosaur deck. I was enjoying the last set, but this new one is brilliant and great fun to draft.

Agreed :) I’ve done one draft on MTGO (ended up with a pretty sweet merfolk deck) and played an awful Rakdos Pirates deck in my prerelease. Picked up a booster box and am playing sealed with my friends this week, hoping for some sweet Dino action!

• 3 weeks later...

Conversely, I've sold nearly all my cards* since I don't have time to play any more. It's not a reaction to Ixalan mind, though I did get to play Ixalan sealed recently and holy fuck that is not a good format.

Looks like it's more tailored for draft instead.

*have retained my cube, a couple of crap commander decks and five Pauper decks. Which is still quite a lot. Getting the loft done with the proceeds from the two Modern decks and big pile of fetchlands though!

26 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Conversely, I've sold nearly all my cards* since I don't have time to play any more. It's not a reaction to Ixalan mind, though I did get to play Ixalan sealed recently and holy fuck that is not a good format.

Looks like it's more tailored for draft instead.

*have retained my cube, a couple of crap commander decks and five Pauper decks. Which is still quite a lot. Getting the loft done with the proceeds from the two Modern decks and big pile of fetchlands though!

I know what you mean about the sealed format, I’ve played it twice and it was pretty crap both times with struggling to make playables. 

• 2 months later...

I used to play this casually like 10+ years ago. I got speaking to a friend from work who said he has started playing it which gave me the incentive to get back into the game.  So got myself a Kaladesh deck builder kit and then got some booster packs and have had some fun constructing decks.  Right now it will just be causal games between friends but hopefully I'll aim for the next prerelease they have, because they seem really fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer draft to sealed, as while it's still dependent on luck to a certain extent, building your card pool does require some level of skill. Of course, it's a lot easier grabbing one person to play sealed with than it is to get a table of people together to draft.

How is standard right now? I played about 50 games (rough estimate) with a UW God Pharaohs Gift deck before Christmas having not played standard at all for a year or so, but the amount of mono red and energy decks were exhausting. Have the bans helped in that regard?

• 1 month later...

Anyone heading to GP Birmingham? I'm going on Sunday to draft and play Pauper. Prep is not going well, I've not played in months and I'm terrible now. 

That said I accidentally won one game on Magic Online because my opponent managed to cast a removal spell on their own creature when trying to tap it for mana, so maybe I'm not doing all that badly...