Magic: The Gathering

therearerules

Is anybody especially knowledgeable about prebuilt decks? I have been picking up random prebuilt decks whenever I'm out of my wife's sight and I have a friend coming over tomorrow and was wondering if there are any particularly even matchups etc. 

The decks I have are:

Tezzeret

Ajani

Nissa

Eldritch Moon

And a Japanese set of two: Nissa vs Ob Nixilis (or something)

I assume that they are all from different card sets etc. but is it okay to mix and match; are there any particularly unevenly strong/weak decks; or are there any matchups that might make for an interesting game in among that lot? 

Anybody know?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's a bit late @Tourist, but the planeswalker decks (Tezzeret, Ajani, Nissa) are intentionally pretty well balanced and should play nicely with each other.

The Nissa vs Ob Nixilis decks you got are what's called a Duel Deck, which are specifically designed to be played against each other. In theory, they would be your best bet for a balanced game. There are a bunch of other Duel Decks, but they've recently stopped producing them, so if you want more I'd get them soon.

• 2 months later...

Anyone here tried Arena? As a died-in-the-wool Hearthstone player I'm keen to try the mother of all card games in a free-to-play online format. Should I give up before I get sucked in, or persevere? Any good sites for advice on playing with measly pre-constructed decks?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2018 at 17:54, Padster said:

Anyone here tried Arena? As a died-in-the-wool Hearthstone player I'm keen to try the mother of all card games in a free-to-play online format. Should I give up before I get sucked in, or persevere? Any good sites for advice on playing with measly pre-constructed decks?

I played in the beta, and whilst it's very good, it's also grindy as all hell to get competitive decks. I came at it as an enfranchised Magic player though, and I can imagine it's very frustrating trying to learn the game with a crappy precon deck whilst some guy uses a tier one deck to stomp you. 

If you want a good starter deck, look at some red lists, and switch some of the rare cards out for commons and uncommons. Mono-red decks (in the current standard format, at least) play similar to zoo lists from Hearthstone, attempting to swarm the board with cheap creatures and win the game before your opponent can get going. You'll get a few cheap wins for way, and be able to figure out what kind of deck you'd like to play before using all your rare and mythic rare wildcards.

If you do push on with it, MTGGoldfish is a great resource for decklists and the current meta, and Channel Fireball has loads of articles on strategy with regards to individual decks. As for advice on playing with preconstructed decks, my advice would be to try a few, and if any click, look into making them more consistent - they'll quite often only have 1 or 2 of a key card for the strategy, meaning you can't rely on seeing it all too often.

As you can see by the fact that I'm posting almost two weeks after you, it's fairly dead in here - Reddit has a bunch of Magic sub-pages, the main one in particular can be good for new players.

• 2 weeks later...

I've jumped on the Arena bandwagon now that draft has been introduced :)

It's definitely a grind to get all the cards you need, but they've done a decent job with the starter decks - instead of feeling like the usual inconsistent junk you expect from a starter they are just about playable as you get hold of them, and can be upgraded with only a few wildcards (though I remain unconvinced that's a good idea unless you wanted to playv the deck anyway).

Loving how they've managed to make MTG feel quick and snappy for the majority of its interactions.

• 1 month later...

I adore MTG Arena.

The last couple of months I've been spending about £55 and that's allowed me to draft every other day.

This month I've still got enough gems left over to pay for every other day still and I currently have 30,000 in gold which is going towards the new set. Hearthstone is pretty much dead to me now.

• 4 months later...

I've bought a Magic The Gathering War of the Spark Pre Release box and collectors box with ten booster packs but have never played the series before. Would anybody know of any easy to follow beginners tutorials they'd recommend?

If you have access to a Windows PC then the best thing to do is download Magic Arena. The tutorials there will explain all the basics, and there’s a skill progression tree which ends up unlocking basics decks in most of the colour pairs so you can get a feeling for them all. 

Have never played MtG before but I was bored the other day and decided to have a look at Arena and I’m absolutely loving it. 

Quick question though if I may for those in the know...

I see there’s a maximum of 4 of any given card. What happens if I’ve already got 4 and then get another copy? Do I get a full wildcard for it instead? 

I understand that in real life I would just be tough, but of course I’d have the ability to trade it with someone which I don’t online. 

I fancy a go at Drafting as that seems like a good way of building up my card collection, but without remembering exactly what cards I’ve  already got and how many, it seems fairly risky that I’d end up picking stuff I’ve got already which seems a big waste unless extras are converted to wildcards. 

The way that fifth copies work is a little opaque. There’s this thing called “the vault”, which you accrue progress towards opening as you obtain fifth copies of common and uncommon cards (and by opening packs I think?). Either way, they hide your progress towards it opening until you get to 100%. When you do open it, you’ll find it has wildcards in. For rares and mythic rares, there’s duplicate protection to prevent you getting fifth copies. If you ever get a complete set then you get gems instead. Hope that helps. 

That’s brilliant, thanks for the clarification. I’ll have a read up and try and get my head around what’s going on. 

Either way, as long as I’ve not got a niggling feeling that I’m pissing away my money / gold / gems I can get on with enjoying the game. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2019 at 18:15, bridger said:

That’s brilliant, thanks for the clarification. I’ll have a read up and try and get my head around what’s going on. 

Either way, as long as I’ve not got a niggling feeling that I’m pissing away my money / gold / gems I can get on with enjoying the game. 

Glad you’re enjoying arena, I think it’s superb.

if you can resist opening the vault you can easily see your progress to the next unlock.

• 8 months later...
On 17/02/2020 at 12:16, catinthehat said:

I forgot we had a dedicated thread.  I just posted an MTG question in ATF.  Can any of your help?

I don't know how easy it would be getting a box, but Khans of Tarkir was highly regarded for drafting, and has some value in the fetchlands so you might even get lucky and get your cash back. If you really want to push the boat out, the Masters sets were designed to be played in limited formats (much to the annoyance of most players as they were hoping for more staple constructed cards), and if you're all familiar with the rules, Unstable was supposed to be great fun.

More recently, I've also enjoyed Guilds of Ravnica and War of the Spark on Arena, each of which you should be able to get for about £100 a box.

Khans is a brilliant set, but you may struggle to find it affordably.

Theros: Beyond Death is receiving a lot of good press, and War of the Spark is also highly thought of, but WotS is quite a complex set and the Planeswalker static abilities can be a bit of a pain to keep track of if you're not all experienced players.

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Pretty dead in here, but for anyone playing Arena, I stumbled upon a bunch of codes to get free packs at https://cardgamebase.com/mtg-arena-codes/, hopefully they'll be of use to someone here.

Cheers dude added them to my account. Still fighting my way through the tutorials.

I play some many TCG & DB games online i get really confused i need to slow it all down. 

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

I've got a big folder of older MtG cards that I'm looking to sell. They'll be from the mid 90's ish. Where is the best place to sell cards at the minute?

Depends how much effort you want to put in. If you can be bothered to sort them yourself, CardMarket might be the way to do it. It's a lot of hassle though, potentially posting out cards individually. Other than that, I've sold cards to Troll Trader Cards before, and whilst you still have to sort them and type them in, you can at least send it as one package. You won't get as much for them that way, though. Alternatively, you could find a shop that sells single cards and pop on with them. There are Facebook groups for selling cards, as well.

If it was me doing it, I'd pick out any high value cards to sell individually, and drop the bulk off at a shop.

Keith's Dad talks a lot of sense. It's relatively straightforward to find the rare cards. Focus on mythics first etc and then go to a play like magic madhouse and look by set and highest price first. Pick out everything that is over a certain price and sell those separately. There's no shortage of people who will buy cards, the buyer market is quite frankly bonkers at the moment.

• 6 months later...

I think my last few drafts where I've forced red/black or red/green aggro and gone 7-0/7-1 show that the format isn't going to be an all timer. Blue is hopeless. And how a table of real human drafters can give me 5 hobgoblin captains, a goblin lord and all the red removal this far into a format is beyond me.... 

Turns 1 to 3 you have to do something to impact the board. otherwise, Boots of speed, Hobgoblin 1, hobgoblin 2, equip, 6 first strike. Oh what, you wanted to dawdle and play a treasure chest, sorry, you're going to be dead in 2 turns. Plundering Barbarian, the treasure generating troll and the busted 2/2 goblin generator are all excellent and allow a high end splash to make sure you don't lose to a stalled out end game. 

Red black sac/aggro or just red aggro with a dusting of finishers in green is where it's at, but I do like the Black/White venture deck. Lots of incremental value for the win. 

28 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I think my last few drafts where I've forced red/black or red/green aggro and gone 7-0/7-1 show that the format isn't going to be an all timer. Blue is hopeless. And how a table of real human drafters can give me 5 hobgoblin captains, a goblin lord and all the red removal this far into a format is beyond me.... 

Turns 1 to 3 you have to do something to impact the board. otherwise, Boots of speed, Hobgoblin 1, hobgoblin 2, equip, 6 first strike. Oh what, you wanted to dawdle and play a treasure chest, sorry, you're going to be dead in 2 turns. Plundering Barbarian, the treasure generating troll and the busted 2/2 goblin generator are all excellent and allow a high end splash to make sure you don't lose to a stalled out end game. 

Red black sac/aggro or just red aggro with a dusting of finishers in green is where it's at, but I do like the Black/White venture deck. Lots of incremental value for the win. 

Yup, I lose my final game to an insanely fast goblin deck that I couldn't do anything against. I made a terrible misplay, but it wouldn't have affected the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I would start with a simple kit, containing a couple of decks for you to start playing. The Arena starter kits are good and you may find your local GAME has them in (and at a super cheap price - usually 6-10 quid). 

They contain a couple of decks, a cardboard life total counter (although you'll find hundreds of free apps you can use) and will be simple to pilot and relatively balanced. They will also give you a code to get the same decks on Arena. I would recommend the latter(Arena)  as a good way of learning the basics of the game - even if you just play against the AI to practice the phases of play. You could even both download it on a tablet and play against one another a few times just to be sure you have the rules down.  

Then, the world is really your oyster. You could perhaps buy a couple of booster packs and start to enrich those decks you have, but I would recommend finding your local FLGS. They may even be able to give you piles of free cards, official intro decks and even help you through your first few games (although it sounds like perhaps you have some experience of it?). 

Don't necessarily be immediately drawn to Commander as a "casual" format. it is, in an emotional sense, but not a mechanical one. You won't be ready for Commander for ages, and it's not great at two players either. Your FLGS may push it and try to get you involved, but make it clear you're looking for casual, traditional Magic between two players for now. 

Longer term, if it captures your attention I would recommend Limited as absolutely the best format to play to make you better at the game, build up a collection of cards and as an affordable entry point to the hobby. Podcasts such as Lords of Limited and Limited Resources are good places to start, though you may need to scroll back for episodes that are targeted at newer players.

Either way, good luck. MTG is the greatest card game ever made, and even though Wizards of the Coast are trying their hardest to drive it into the ground there is nothing that comes close to it mechanically.