IGNORED

Warmachine/Hordes

Ersatz Nihilist

Yeah Kahdor are the easiest to get to grips with, because they're all slow moving heavy armour big hitters. They also have the most fun jacks, hell one of their casters is a jack! Cygnar are more about the shooting and just like marines most of their stuff ignore alot of core rules... like effectivly getting a second caster at any point level.

• 1 month later...

so after getting whipped the last few times, i've got a solid plan for this evenings game. Still playing at 15 points to iron out the rules (blind leading the blind).

I'm using these 15points against Menoth:

pStryker

-Ironclad

-Squire

-Reinholdt

Journeyman Warcaster

-Charger

Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team

Any idea if the Menoth player is running 'jack heavy and what Wacaster they'll be running? If they've got a few 'jacks backed up by the Choir you could struggle as they'll spend the entire time singing 'Passage' which will completely shut down your shooting against their Heavies and Lights. Remember that magic shots still count as shots - you need pure magic attacks to bypass Passage - and although the Choir can grant magic immunity as well, they can't do both.

If that's the case, the best thing to do is to get that Ironclad in their and start putting some Hammer to Face. Pop Stykers feat if you need to cross open ground as that'll shoot your armour up to about 23, which will seriously decrease the amount of damage you take going in. Unless buffed, Menoth 'jacks just aren't as good as yours in any respect - your pairing up of a Charger with JWC is a good idea, as his three focus will be buying two fully boosted shots a turn. If the Choir is protecting his 'jacks, use your mobility and range to kill them.

With Menoth, always always take out the support first, as the army falls apart without it.

Broke 13th should be able to deal with any infantry with their AOE, especially at 15 points - and they can put some serious pain on Warjacks, even heavies - with 4 Brutal Damage shots per turn.

Another good assassination strategy would be to use pStyker's earthquake to knock over their Warcaster and then blow the shit out of him with Broke 13th or the Charger - his defence will be reduced to 5 so you'll only miss on Snake Eyes. Remember that with Earthquake you only need to hit ONE target and EVERYTHING in the 4" falls over, so if a Warjack is close enough to his caster, target that, and you'll get the auto-knockdown even if he's high defence. You shouldn't struggle to draw LOS to him, as it's hard to plug up the holes at 15 points.

Looks like a solid list. What is the Menoth player using? I'm guessing you plan to use Stryker and IC to knock him down and then let everything else mop up. Let Jr keep Arcane Shield up on Stryker and pop feat when you get in close and you should have a decent defence against assassination.

The club near to where I've moved has a massive WM/H following and are running Privateer's offical leagues, with the next season due to start in a couple of weeks time. I'm quite looking forward to joining in, as I've only played smaller 15/25pt battles and these are usually 50pt affairs. I'm using it as a excuse to get my Retribution painted, although I've not decided which caster(s) to focus on.

Thanks Ersatz, all very handy advice. At the moment i'm not sure what he's bringing. We're still finding our feet so during the last game he was trying out infantry so only had two jacks. I've just realised that without knowing what he's bringing our is usually doing my list is pretty hard to critique. Last time we had a game he brought:

pKreoss

2x Crusaders

Knights Exemplar

Choir of Menoth

The Wrack

I need to look at how the Choir is used properly. He kept me at arms length with the lamentation spell so i'm hoping that when I go in for the kill the JWC can be used to put AS on him. From what i've read can't Stryker still use his ranged weapon even with 'passage' as Strykers would be a magical ranged weapon? Or am I reading that wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm messing about with Cryx again.

I've never been a fan of the traditional Cryx colours - the whole black armour and glowing green furnaces seemed a little too overly sinister for me - I switched the armour over to dirty white/brown wash, and now I'm experimenting with white washed with black, in the hope of producing a really grimy/industrial feel to them. This co-incides with a friend leaving me with a bunch of unpainted Mechanithralls!

Here's the first test victim below - not a particularly high-quality paint job I know, but outside of priming the whole thing only took about half an hour, and as they tend to run around in huge packs, I'm not so worried about the tiny details at the moment - and really, this was just a 'do the colours work' Testthrall. Oddly enough, the cabling looks a lot better in the flesh.

LkgYC.jpg

I really hate the models, though - you can tell they're from 2003 - there are much, much nicer things coming out of Privateer Press at the moment.

Nice Mechanithrall. I quite like the models - reminders of a simpler time.

Words cannot express how little fun it has been to paint the Invictors. Even worse, I've lost the bloody card for them so will have to take a scan of their page to any games. Still, at least that's now half of the Dawnguard units painted (I've painted the Destor horses, but not the riders. The new Shattered Grounds season starts this week, so I wanted to get almost fully painted in readiness.

One slightly blurred iPhone picture - I made an effort to block the natural light so you can see the shading.

IMG_0629.jpg

Good work shading lighter colours - it's something I've never really been able to make work properly; instead I employ endless smoke and mirrors techniques with washes, which look fine provided you don't look too close, at which point all the inconsistances start popping out.

Good work on getting hold of the Destors, though. Our local doesn't seem to be able to lay hands on them at all.

moving from 15 points to 25 tomorrow. Might actually be able to put some infantry on the table this time. I've finally scraped, filed, sanded, pinned and undercoated!

Going to give pHaley a run out tomorrow and see how she plays.

Our local indie is going to be stocking WM within a fortnight. My bank balance is going to suffer!

Nice Mechanithrall. I quite like the models - reminders of a simpler time.

Words cannot express how little fun it has been to paint the Invictors. Even worse, I've lost the bloody card for them so will have to take a scan of their page to any games. Still, at least that's now half of the Dawnguard units painted (I've painted the Destor horses, but not the riders. The new Shattered Grounds season starts this week, so I wanted to get almost fully painted in readiness.

One slightly blurred iPhone picture - I made an effort to block the natural light so you can see the shading.

IMG_0629.jpg

What you want to do is email missingparts@privateerpress.co.uk tell them that you recently got the invictors box but was missing the stat card, include your address and you should get one sent out to you within a week, no questions asked.

Nice paint job on the white as well, very smooth and bright.

moving from 15 points to 25 tomorrow. Might actually be able to put some infantry on the table this time. I've finally scraped, filed, sanded, pinned and undercoated!

Going to give pHaley a run out tomorrow and see how she plays.

Our local indie is going to be stocking WM within a fortnight. My bank balance is going to suffer!

Once you get above 15pts, you do need infantry to start blocking charge lanes.

As for pHaley, well - make sure you've got a Squire to make the most of the nightmare spell that is Temporal Barrier. Cast on the right turn, denying every enemy model in your (large) control area the charge can pretty much guarentee you the Alpha strike, or if you're shooting based, cast Dead-Eye and then pop your Feat to unleash bullet hell upon your opponent.

The only thing I would urge you to remember is that Chain Lightening arcs to the nearest model D6 times, but it cares not for friendly/foe distinctions, so unless you're packing StormNouns, you can try your own people, which is never fun.

All very useful Ersatz. Played a 25 points game with pHaley last night and did much much better than I was at 15 points. My B13th were very useful and because of the last couple of games of them not doing much they were very much underestimated, few nicely placed shots and with haleys feat I was a couple of hit boxes from killing my opponents caster in the second turn. Still toying with units so had a go with the Arcane Tempest Mages, which were also pretty useful. Switched out the Charger for the Hunter too. The Hunter is a nasty little bugger with his armour piercing, advanced deployment and extended focus range.

Chain lightning was pretty fun and managed to kill 4 of his infantry with it. I still haven't tried a melee infantry unit yet though. Should i go Storm Knights, precurser knights, Stormblades, or stormguards?

First of all, don't think about Precursor Knights just yet. In all honesty they're a bit 'meh' - Spell Ward looks good, but it's an ability that fvours face-smashing 'all or nothing' units that have to hit the enemy with as many men alive as possible to be effective, rather than the 'stand and guard' that they are. However, the Cygnar Warcaster in the upcoming expansion is a Morrowan, which means they may be getting a unit-wide buff if they're in the same army as him. Worth keeping an eye on.

I like Storm Knights - 10 blokes for 6 points is never a bad deal, and when a friendly 'jack is in melee range of their target, they're rolling an extra die on attack damage. So on the charge, you've got P+S 10 +4D6, which is going to ruin anythings day - you opponent simply cannot ignore that kind of power. Furthermore, they're 'jack Marshalls so they can bring a 'jack along with them on a flanking manuver - but remember to take a cheap and/or focus efficient one as it won't be part of the Warcaster's battle-group and therefore won't be eligable to recieve focus.

Stormblades are Stormnouns, so safe to use electircity attacks around! These guys come in a small unit of 6 and you're paying 5 points for them. They're not a defensive unit, and nor will they be smashing 'jacks apart unless it's a Cryx 'jack. However, pack in the unit attachment and they're infantry killers - Officer grants Assault (so they can make a shot while they charge in (resolved when you arrive at the end of the charge, so it WILL be in range), and the standard bearer makes those shots AOE 3. It'll hit your own guys, but it's electricity, so they don't care. It's also worth bearing in mind that if you give the assault order from out of charge range, you can still shoot - so you get 8" of charge + 4" gun range, + 2" for Electrical Arc on the Leader, making for a 14" shooting range, endng in AOE 3". It's not too shabby, but it will leave you exposed afterward in no-mans-land. Sometimes that's worth it though, to take an unexpected shot at their Warcaster, or get the drop on an infantry unit that believed itself safe.

Stormguard are interesting in theory, but my mate who's a bit fan of Cygnar doesn't rate them. Sure, the perfect Electrical Discharge attack means they all attack, the electricity arcs out to the whole unit, killing everybody and then the commander lets loose a PS15 shot into a nearby Warjack, but it rarely happens so simply. Heh. They've got reach, which is good, though and it should be something that concerns your opponent.

If you're looking for an attack unit to move up with a 'jack and threaten enemy constructs and heavy infantry, then go for Knights, if you're looking for a hardcore infantry munching machine, then the Blades are for you - I'd leave the Guard until a later date. If you want something to bog down your enemy and keep them away from your gunline, you could also consider Trenchers, 'Dig in' can make them a headache for your opponent as AOEs really won't shift them - they're also an eminently customisable unit with the plethora of different unit attachments you can bolt onto them.

Hope this helps - remember I'm not a native Cygnar player.

• 3 months later...

Been playing WM at my local games club for about a month now. They started a 35 point league where you essentially pick units you're not familiar with or want to try out new stuff. You can't change your army list until you've played everyone twice (home and away). My list (as is the point) isn't brilliant but i'm really starting to see which units work well and where the synergies are within the army. I have come to realise that Stryker, with his feat, and arcane shield and in base contact with Ol' Rowdy is pretty much indestructible for one turn.

I'm currently running:

Faction: Cygnar

Army Name: Strykers Soldiers Under Command Tour

35 points/23 models

Commander Coleman Stryker (*6)

*Ol' Rowdy (9)

*Lancer (6)

*Squire (2)

Journeyman Warcaster (3)

*Charger (4)

Arcane Tempest Gun Mages [Leader and 5 grunts] (6)

*The Dude (2)

Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4)

Sword Knights [Leader and 5 grunts] (4)

Stormsmith Stormcaller (1)

A lot of the army is that way because its what i've got to hand and what the other chaps could lend me to fill it out to 35 points.

I took Rowdy purely because its Strykers character jack. The lancer to run up and to be able to 'node Earthquake through.

The Squire because of the extra focus and extended control range.

The JwC loads up the Charger for brutal shot and to get an extra shot. And if necessary, to put Arcane Shield on a unit.

the Gun Mages to shoot at anything thats been knocked down by earthquake, or in general. Theres a lot of cryx players so the Dude helps with being able to actually shoot them.

B13th because they're very useful. B13th one side, Gun Mages on the other.

Sword knights for a melee unit. the small number does hurt as in general its not a meleeing list. being base contact does make them last a little bit longer. Bunching a couple around the Lancer also gives them the extra damage roll bonus when they do eventually get into fisticuffs.

and the Stormcaller because he was a point. Although he is actually very very useful. When the points get expanded I may take all 3. The ability to disrupt a 'jack and prevent 'noding against Cryx would help tremendously

• 10 months later...