IGNORED

GTA:V Single-Player Thread - next-gen versions out now!

murray

I obviously don't want specific spoilers, but was wondering if the latter stages of the main story made more use of the world map. I'm almost 40% of the way through and aside from the first half a dozen Trevor missions (and my own random road trips) the game has been entirely focused in LS so far. Makes the rest of the massive game world seem vastly underused.

There are a couple of story missions in Paleto Bay, in the far north, and a lot of the strangers/freaks take you all over, but a lot of the big landmarks not in LS don't get used so much. Many are assuming online will take advantage, or maybe even DLC.

Got my first Trevor taxi mission last night. Spent the first part of it fighting my conscience about taking him to the cult and then decided to. A lot of the way there the dude was just begging, then on the last corner before the entrance to it he jumped out and I ran him over by mistake.

I'm guessing I failed that one, strictly speaking

Is there an ultimate payoff for bringing people to the cult? I've brought a drunk couple and some random dude but won't keep bothering with the drive if it's just $2000 a go.

An event happens after four people are dropped off.

Here's a couple more shots from Snapmatic:

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Yeah, I can't wait for the PC version so I can take some proper screens without an annoying scanline and vignette effect..

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Edit, actually, wait - the first couple don't have the effect... something they patched yesterday?! :o

It would be good if you could buy a better camera in-game, so that you could save higher quality photographs; the game's set in 2013, but they seem to have simulated a phone camera from around 2005.

That said, Rockstar's servers could probably do without the extra load of everyone spamming 4K photos all over the shop.

Is there a beginners guide to this anyone can recommend?

After a few hours play I have encountered my usual problem with open world games in that I have no idea how to progress the game i.e. my career as a criminal. I have undertaken a couple of mission as Franklin and now just potter around waiting for calls which never come. Other and driving the tow truck around and helping the pap out which I'm a little bored of now. none of the guys that hooked with up with criminal work seem to be answering the phone anymore so I've no idea what to do.

I'd like to be a career criminal but have no idea how. Maybe I'll just get a new haircut?

It's a brilliantly realised world with extraordinary attention to detail over the whole map but I'd love to have seen a high res, and smoother, PC version of it at day one..

I'm not even attempting the online mode until we get the all clear in here, but last night my single player game was a bit screwy. I turned off autosave but still had some weird glitches.

Trevors sidekick guy would continually spawn outside his shack, shoot a bottle and walk off down the street there were 3 or 4 of them on screen at one point.

Trevor was in his garden just lobbing grenades and took Michael out with one, not sure if this is a glitch or just because Trevor

My health bars were continually flashing red and I was seemingly invincible as I was getting shot to shit doing the second heist but didn't die.

Had an incredibly frustrating time trying to do Trevor's first rampage last night, it seemed impossible to complete.

Tried a number of different strategies, nip and tuck in cover, climbing up to the roof of the liquor store and picking them off, but anything other than direct carnage meant you hit the time limit too easily. Obviously the rampage is supposed to be total carnage but the chaos made it very hard to nail everyone quickly, especially as my rampage ability kept running out. If you chain enough kills together does your rampage ability never end? Maybe that's where I was going wrong.

Using the grenades seemed more trouble then they were worth (but I probably do need a bit more practice with them), given how long it took to throw them, to anticipate where someone/a car might be when they land)

In the end I had to resort to Assisted Aim which made it an absolute piece of piss and I ended up getting around double the required kills, but it felt totally cheaty and I've had no trouble at all in any of the prior missions on Free Aim.

Everything was all better after the following mission though, taking the airport from The Lost, nabbing the planes and flying under lots of low bridges! WOO!

The one thing GTA should have copied from Saints Row was a separate grenade button having to switch back and forth between grenades and guns is incredibly fiddly and I tend not to bother with them, however in Saint Row The Third you could be circling the bad guys pumping them full of exploding ammo tossing grenades in at the same time and the carnage was beautiful.

0_0.jpg

Found a van that I could stand on and not fall off when it moved. Dropped a sticky bomb on a car at some lights then as I pulled away the carnage started. Cops are chasing me while I'm standing on top of the cab of the van trying to snipe the chopper pilot. Poor Trev gets killed shortly after this selfie by striking a low bridge at high speed from the improvised moving "turret".

If online wasn't fucked this wouldn't have happened, was epic while it lasted

0_0.jpg

Found a van that I could stand on and not fall off when it moved. Dropped a sticky bomb on a car at some lights then as I pulled away the carnage started. Cops are chasing me while I'm standing on top of the cab of the van trying to snipe the chopper pilot. Poor Trev gets killed shortly after this selfie by striking a low bridge at high speed from the improvised moving "turret".

If online wasn't fucked this wouldn't have happened, was epic while it lasted

Awesome. Before IV introduced the physics, you can ride on top of any car as the terrified driver sped randomly around the map. It was one of my favourite pasttimes in San Andreas.

The game engine in this is incredible. I haven't played a lot of the latest games so I don't know how standard this is these days, but it is a step ahead of the likes of Skyrim which I previously thought had the best in-game environments, in terms of how immersive it is.

Found a bar with empty wine glasses on the table, and gave it a boot. The glasses totter and fall over as you would expect in real life. One of them rolls onto the floor and smashes into a million pieces on the floor.

It's so good though that it makes the few things which don't appear quite "right" appear more wrong than they normally would do in a videogame (hedges that don't budge if you drive into them at 100 mph for example).

I love the way that the tall chain-link fence with barbed wire - generally a videogame trope for "you shall not pass" is not climbable on foot, but you can just get into a car and plough through it, though.

Doesn't seem that long ago that you would routinely be stuck in front of a locked wooden door, scratching your head about how to proceed while your character's pockets bulge with rocket launchers, plastic explosives, shot guns and grenades.

I took the rampages as a hint to stick with the default aiming scheme. The shooty bits all feel like they're there just for a bit of scripted variety anyway, it's all about cover and waves rather than manual accuracy.

Auto-aim will be ridiculous online if it's enabled, though.

Yeah it pretty much felt like it'd been designed with auto-aim in mind when I was failing miserably to complete it.

Problem is though if you just have the aim setting effectively on "win" it removes any of the skill attached to it and therefore the reward.

Not had a chance to check out the online yet, but it's like IV you'll have the option to only look for free aim or auto-aim games. Auto-aim-enabled games were farcical in IV, you could be screaming past someone in a super car and they'd pick you off with a headshot without a second glance.

Yeah it pretty much felt like it'd been designed with auto-aim in mind when I was failing miserably to complete it.

Problem is though if you just have the aim setting effectively on "win" it removes any of the skill attached to it and therefore the reward.

Not sure I agree; it depends on how you think about it. I can totally empathise with your position, but to me I'd say the skill attached to the rampages (and the combat in general) is awareness and positioning over aiming accuracy. I don't find the freeaim controls are up to the task, frankly, weird acceleration and the sometimes janky framerate make it trickier than it should be.

I'll probably freeaim on the PC version though! ;)

My new favourite thing is practising tackling people, which I plan to use online. Run at them then hit Jump when you're right next to them.

That and trying to get Trevor stuck upside down in a bin. No joy yet though.

Is that a proper animation you can trigger, or clever use of the ragdolling?

Cuz I've tried the latter but I'm not very good at it yet.