GTA:V Single-Player Thread - next-gen versions out now!

murray

Since I managed to figure out how to buy this game I've been playing it quite a bit. 

It really is a stunning technical achievement. Even 10 years after it's release there's really nothing like it in terms of how convincing the world is. The atmosphere, especially with the new lighting, the level of detail, it's just incredible. 

It's too bad it's mixed up with all the juvenile attempts at humor and at times clunky gameplay, but I'm having more fun with this game then most of the recent releases I've played lately. 

I don't think there's new missions, just a graphics touch up. 

I've been playing in first person mode, I think that's been added in earlier updates but it wasn't there when I played the game originally. Really suits the game, especially when you're just roaming about, really let's you appreciate all the little details. It's nuts to think this started as a 360/ps3 game. 

On the other hand, when you have to press buttons to torture someone or  spent 10 trying to maneuver some unwieldy vehicle into the exact right spot you remember this is a game from a different age. 

My god, the PS5 version looks incredible. The geometry detail and polygon count is much lower than a 2022 game, and of course there’s a lot more acting with hands compared to something like Horizon Forbidden West or Last of Us Part 2 with their cutting edge facial capture tech, but this is a handsome game considering the code under the hood is 9 years old and was released two generations ago. I can feel it pulling me back in for another go-around, while Red Dead Redemption 2 sits unplayed on the shelf. 

• 4 weeks later...

My son has the One X version of this on disc. If he puts that in the Series X, does it ‘give’ you the next gen version or does he have to get a new copy? I see that Online is separate now also, which is all he played.

We didn’t transfer a character from 360 > One X, so I understand he can do that from One X to Series X?

xxx

@DC I believe I’m right in saying that Rockstar opted for releasing the next gen version as a separate game on both PS5 and Xbox, and it doesn’t support Smart Delivery. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the urge to play it again. It’s still a magnificent thing really. I mean, you’ve got to like the tried and tested way R* do things of course, but if you do - and I very much do - then there’s nothing that has come close to this in the years since its release. It’s still a gob-smackingly fun thing to be in.

Also - and I have no barometer on where it stands on being authentic - I’ve always found Franklin and Lemar’s dialogue together wonderful. There’s a real lyricism to the thing, which feels great to me.

Which is probably waaaay out of touch with reality, but there go.