Chosty

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

2. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

3. Once upon a Time in the West (1968)

4. Fanny och Alexander (1982)

5. Stalker (1979)

6. Eraserhead (1977)

7. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

8. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

9. Alien (1979)

10. Angel's Egg (1985)

11. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

12. RoboCop (1987)

13. Irréversible (2002)

14. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

15. Jurassic Park (1993)

16. The Devil's Advocate (1997)

17. Pi (1998)

18. The Lion King (1994)

19. Zodiac (2007)

20. Festen (1998)

Just looked at how I voted for the 90s having clicked Nicks link and spotted quite a big continuity error of mine.

Jurassic Park: 14th best film of the 90s according to me.

Jurassic Park: 8th best film of all time according to me.

:unsure:

Heh, I wonder how inconsistent the rest of my voting is.

Yes, the one I'm arranging at the moment has similar inconsistencies. Like each of the decade lists, I'm mainly basing the order on a combination of nostalgia for what had the most impact on me when I first saw it, and what I'd most like to rewatch right now. (So Monty Python & the Holy Grail is high on my list because I don't think there's a film that I've found as funny on first viewing, but I've over-watched it so many times since then that I can't see myself watching it again for a long time yet.)

I'm prepared to defend the choice. Granted, its got Michael Cera, but it was the first film in with him that I saw so he didn't annoy me yet. But it is actually a really nice set of characters, narrated from an engaging young voice, with a moderately realistic portrayal of the emotional impact of relinquishing/adopting a baby (a million miles from the Glee version, for example, or August Rush) and a quirky soundtrack...

Disqualified, more like a week long ban!

1 - Trainspotting

2 - Old Boy

3 - Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

4 - Memento

5 - Pulp Fiction

6 - Howl's Moving Castle

7 - Fight Club

8 - Run Lola Run

9 - District 9

10 - The Matrix

11 - Jarhead

12 - A Clockwork Orange

13 - An Education

14 - Ghost in the Shell

15 - Leon

16 - The Breakfast Club

17 - Big Trouble in Little China

18 - Amelie

19 - Inglorious Basterds

20 - Mary Poppins

For now. I may change some later before the deadline, then again i will probably forget.

!

Outrageous! I was going to say but I voted for it in the 90s and it wasn't disqualified in that, but a quick look at the results suggests it wasn't counted.

Out of interest is there a technical reason as to why it's classed as a show and not a film? The quickest of looks on Wikipedia says:

The fact Wikipedia says that isn't exactly conclusive, but that it's won a recognised award for best short film carries a little more weight.

Edit- ha ha, oops. Reading my own link it says:

But in all honesty it's your thread and you've done sterling work in compiling it all so will abide by the rules. I mean I've got as much as anyone from these threads with all the new suggestions so I'll alter the list.

I appreciate some people see it as a short film as much as a TV programme, but the voting is really for full-length (i.e. feature), theatrically-released films. Anyway, it's given you space to get another (proper ;) ) film on there. And if it's any consolation, you might get to include The Wrong Trousers in a future thread that lordcookie is planning.

Bowser and I voted for it on our '90s lists but then it didn't appear in that decade's final results. :hmm:

If I'd noticed it before I was too far in the vote counting I'd have let you know so you could pick something else. But I didn't, so I couldn't. Soz!

1. Highlander

2. Transformers: The Movie

3. Big Trouble In Little China

4. Batman (1989)

5. Robocop

6. Akira

7. Predator

8. Terminator 2

9. Die Hard

10. The Crow

11. The Big Lebowski

12. Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas

13. First Blood Part 2

14. Blade

15. Apocalypse Now

16. The Dark Knight

17. Back To The Future

18. From Dusk Till Dawn

19. Pulp Fiction

20. Shawshank Redemption

1. Fight Club

2. Twelve Monkeys

3. Ninja Scroll

4. Vanilla Sky

5. The Lives of Others

6. The Royal Tenembaums

7. The Shawshank Redemption

8. Catch Me If You Can

9. Sunshine

10.Withnail and I

11.Milk

12.Point Break

13.Anchorman

14.The Truman Show

15.The Fifth Element

16.Lost in Translation

17.Goodfellas

18.Trainspotting

19.Kill Bill

20.Dodgeball

I appreciate some people see it as a short film as much as a TV programme, but the voting is really for full-length (i.e. feature), theatrically-released films. Anyway, it's given you space to get another (proper ;) ) film on there. And if it's any consolation, you might get to include The Wrong Trousers in a future thread that lordcookie is planning.

If I'd noticed it before I was too far in the vote counting I'd have let you know so you could pick something else. But I didn't, so I couldn't. Soz!

Top 20 TV show episodes? :)

This was hard. Ask me again in a week and I'll have a completely different list.

1. Night of the Hunter

2. Three Colours Red

3. Toy Story

4. Alien

5. Mon Oncle

6. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

7. Carrie

8. The Thing

9. The Warriors

10. The Man Without A Past

11. Code Unknown

12. Mulholland Drive

13. Ghostbusters

14. The General

15. I Know Where I’m Going

16. Stalker

17. The Passing of the Third Floor Back

18. Dougal and the Blue Cat

19. Dracula: Pages From A Virgin’s Diary

20. Wings of Desire

Ahh, tits. I was distracted by looking after a bereaved friend, and by my shiny new(ish) PC. Completely forgot about this. Okay, here's my list, with the few comments I got around to making:

1. Blade Runner

1. Casablanca

3. Patlabor 2: The Movie

4. Twelve Angry Men (1957)

5. Once Upon a Time In The West

6. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

7. Le Samouraï

8. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

9. Seven Samurai

10. The Blue Dahlia

11. Crossfire

12. Amélie

13. Fantasia

14. Kiki's Delivery Service

15. Badlands

16. Alien

17. The Grapes of Wrath

18. The Wrestler

19. Patlabor: The Movie

20. Interstella 5555

And the also rans:

21.Spirited Away

22. Millennium Actress

23. The Lives of Others

24. Robocop

25. The Station Agent

26. A Scanner Darkly

27. Streets of Fire

28. Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

29. Only Yesterday

30. The Day The Earth Caught Fire

31. Breathless

32. City of Lost Children

33. Out Of The Past

34. Let The Right One In

35. Léon

36. This Gun For Hire

37. The Glass Key

38. Dog Day Afternoon

39. Watership Down

And finally, notes on the top ones of my selection. Annoyed at myself for not getting down to some of the more interesting later choices, or indeed some of the ones that didn't make the grade :(

Blade Runner

Hail the king of sci-fi films! Hail the king of film noir! Okay, I'm hardly unusual in being a geek who loves Blade Runner. But that doesn't make it any worse a choice. The fact is, I'm a sucker for slow dramas, for existentialist angst, for dystopian settings and for stories which resolutely refuse to have characters be morally white or black. So Blade Runner had a bit of a headstart. But that alone wouldn't be enough (you may note the lack of Dark City in this list, for example. Though it does stick in a few too many 'good guys' to really fit that bill in the first place, so I guess it's not a great proof of my argument...).

No, what it does so incredibly well, as most people will tell you, is give an incredible sense of place. The Los Angeles of 2019 is perfectly realised, all neon and shadow, rain and detritus, industry and technology. The story and script flesh out the rest of the universe (Hauer's famous speech at the close not least). The music is just incredible. It helps that the actors give their best performance, despite (or thanks to?) the incredible strain involved in the production of the film. In parts intense, contemplative, terrifying, tender, it's my joint-favourite film of all time.

Casablanca

My other joint-favourite film of all time! Perhaps it seems a cop-out that my two favourite films are linked to the imaginary genre of film noir, but the truth is these are vastly different films.* It's also mediocre in its direction and has notably poor special effects, even for the time. So what the hell is it doing so high in the list?

Simple: being fucking brilliant. It's just a charming story, filled with wonderfully snappy dialogue and lovable characters. It's not big, and it's not clever, but it just does everything right. It's an absolute timeless classic - and, importantly, it's one that anyone can enjoy. You don't have to spend hours contemplating it, studying the minutiae of the film in order to appreciate it** - it's just enjoyable for what it is. And that's enough, as it turns out.

Patlabor 2: The Movie

..is just plain brilliant. If Ghost in the Shell was Oshii firing on all cylinders, this is him bursting out the nitrous oxide. Which is an amusingly inappropriate description for what is, as you'd expect of Oshii, a slow and measured film.

Just as he managed to twist a lecherous, straightforward crime-action-sci-fi series into a considered exploration of what it is to be human in Ghost in the Shell, with Patlabor 2 he turns a comedy series about a bumbling, sidelined police department into a cynical look at the political situation in Japan (both internally and in its relationship with the rest of the world).

It's worth noting, before I continue, that the manga this is set on, while a straightforward comedy, was itself a little subversive: ostensibly about a police department that fight in and against other 'mecha', there's is very, very little action in the series, with most episodes involving the cast sitting around and trying to stay sane in their outpost in the middle of nowhere. And what crimes are encountered are most often mundane: such as drink-driving offenses. The reason being, the series is set in the near future (of the late-90's ), and the vast majority of 'mecha' (labors, in the series' parlance) are simply construction suits. The police labors themselves are only slightly more combat-effective or manoeuvrable - distinct in that they can (sort of) run, not just walk, and have full range of arm-movement. This was no Gundam/Macross/other generic mecha series. As such, perhaps Oshii's twisting of the series is well in keeping with the attitude running under the whole thing.

But I digress.

The film is filled with Oshii's trademark lingering shots of urban landscapes, accompanied by stalwart-companion Kenji Kawai's fantastic ambient scoring. As with its predecessor (released in '89, so not in this list) it's filled with beautiful shots, perhaps the most memorable of which take place as the virtual camera wanders through Tokyo under martial law, just as the first snow of the winter begins to set in. The resulting juxtaposition of the 'otherness' of a hard military presence, the normality of city streets and people going about their business, and the reactions of soldiers and civilians alike to the snows, is perfectly depicted. No other director of animation has achieved the level of ability to observe*** and make a character of cities that Oshii does, as this film really shows. Indeed, this part of the film's appeal is much the same as Blade Runner's - the perfect characterisation of a city and its ambience. Only, where Blade Runner is depicting a futuristic dystopia, Patlabor 2 is depicting a future so near it could be contemporary, showing the modern (developed) city under siege.

Beyond that, the core story is immensely satisfying (if passive), as the characters slowly unveil a conspiracy preying on the flaws in the Japanese system of governance, its links to the past and its relationship with the US. It does benefit from knowing the characters already (unsurprisingly, watching the first film is recommended), even though the vast majority of them are somewhat sidelined. Set after the end of the original series, it manages to offer a good degree of closure (and/or fanservice) to fans almost incidentally, thus managing to please fans without impacting on the story. It's just a well-written, engaging story, with masterful direction and intriguing political undertones. I love it.

Twelve Angry Men (1957)

Is the greatest film set entirely in a jury room. Well, ignoring the framing device. Originally a play, and it shows - and doesn't suffer at all. Just an absolute tour-de-force of direction and acting. Absolutely compelling viewing, it doesn't drag for even a moment. It's Fonda at the top of his game, but not to mention the sterling work of the supporting actors is to do them a disservice. Meanwhile the direction is just perfect, pulling the viewer into the sweltering heat and discomfort of the jury room, and helping us really feel the stress of the characters.

Of course, the best acting and directing in the world couldn't save the film from mediocrity if its story weren't up to scratch; but of course it is (if that wasn't the case I'd worry for the rest of my list...). It really makes the viewer want to see how this one, obstinate man can turn and convince the other jurors; makes us see and understand the perspectives motives driving each juror, and how this one man manages to turn or defeat these perspectives.

It's just an astonishing film. Anyone who hasn't seen it, and has put off seeing it because they're worried it'll be a heavy, boring film that they can't get into (as I was, worried it would be another film that was just unwatchable for me, à la Citizen Kane) - go out and watch it. It's nothing like you'd expect. Masterful.

Once Upon a Time In The West

The greatest Western ever made, by some margin. I'm afraid I can't really qualify that - it's an epic film deserving of an epic commentary, but I can't give it. Suffice to say that it's a perfectly paced, incredibly hard Western of incredible accomplishment.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

The best Studio Ghibli film ever made? Probably not.**** My favourite Studio Ghibli film? Unequivocally. Just a wonderful merging of the charm and beauty Ghibli are famed for with a satisfying post-apocalyptic fantasy story.

*indeed, I'd argue that while Blade Runner is clearly an example of film noir (and a knowing one at that, most clearly in its use of the Ink Spots and Vangelis' 40s-styled track 'One More Kiss, Dear') transposed into a sci-fi setting, Casablanca doesn't really belong in that 'genre' at all. But as it's so loosely defined (ironic, considering the fact it was coined outside the genre, after the heyday of the style was over - you'd think they could have made it a strict definition...), it'll never be anything other than subjective.

**indeed, doing so is detrimental to it in many ways. The Macguffin driving the film doesn't actually make any sense at all, for instance.

***inasmuch as the term 'observe' can be used when describing the process of directing an animated film

****definitely not if we're being pedantic, as it was released before the studio existed. But let's brush over that fact, eh!

:D I'm not swayed by majority opinion on here. I know Juno doesn't fit the demographic, but I enjoyed it and its in my top 20. Actually, it seems I'm not alone in thinking its good: It has a metacritic score of 81 (8.5 user score) and a 7.9 on IMDB. But then, I didn't think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or There Will Be Blood, or Children of Men, or many other films in your top ranked sets were anything special.

Nothing to do with demographic, it's just shit. Those other movies aren't great either, but whatever scratches your balls. Metascores are complete bolloxs also, lets look at the imdb all time top ten.

1. 9.2 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 566,231

2. 9.2 The Godfather (1972) 441,086

3. 9.0 The Godfather: Part II (1974) 267,407

4. 8.9 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 177,866

5. 8.9 Pulp Fiction (1994) 451,290

6. 8.9 Schindler's List (1993) 299,639

7. 8.9 12 Angry Men (1957) 133,327

8. 8.8 Inception (2010) 307,246

9. 8.8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 234,000

10. 8.8 The Dark Knight (2008)

Really?!

Inception and TDK especially.

IMDb is a great site that I use on a daily basis but the ratings are next to useless. Yes, most good films have high ratings and most bad films have poor ratings but there is always a bias to new releases as people go crazy over them (the latest Resident Evil film had a 7.4 rating for the first few weeks, ffs). There is a similar issue with Rotten Tomatoes which doesn't really give a fair reflection on the quality of a film because it is either a like/dislike ranking and as long as the film doesn't offend anybody it can get a good rating without it actually having to be a great film.

Nothing to do with demographic, it's just shit. Those other movies aren't great either, but whatever scratches your balls. Metascores are complete bolloxs also, lets look at the imdb all time top ten.

1. 9.2 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 566,231

2. 9.2 The Godfather (1972) 441,086

3. 9.0 The Godfather: Part II (1974) 267,407

4. 8.9 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 177,866

5. 8.9 Pulp Fiction (1994) 451,290

6. 8.9 Schindler's List (1993) 299,639

7. 8.9 12 Angry Men (1957) 133,327

8. 8.8 Inception (2010) 307,246

9. 8.8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 234,000

10. 8.8 The Dark Knight (2008)

Really?!

Inception and TDK especially.

I'm shocked at Shawshank being so high, even though I personally love the film. I can't comment on Inception as I've never seen it, but the other three you've highlighted don't shock me by their inclusion.

01. Pulp Fiction

02. From Russia With Love

03. The Matrix

04. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

05. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

06. Being John Malkovich

07. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

08. The Blues Brothers

09. The Incredibles

10. Fargo

11. Barton Fink

12. North by Northwest

13. Toy Story

14. Alien

15. Aliens

16. Apocalypse Now

17. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

18. Yellow Submarine

19. Memento

20. Amelie

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
  2. Mulholland Drive
  3. The Fountain
  4. Alien
  5. Dead Man's Shoes
  6. The Exorcist
  7. The Incredibles
  8. The Princess Bride
  9. Pulp Fiction
  10. Rushmore
  11. Solaris (2002)
  12. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  13. The Thing
  14. United 93
  15. The Way of the Gun
  16. The Iron Giant
  17. Punch-Drunk Love
  18. Noroi
  19. Brazil
  20. The Elephant Man

1. Once Upon a Time in the West

2. Tony Takitani

3. Singin’ in the Rain

4. Nowhere to Hide

5. Crank: High Voltage

6. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

7. Deliverance

8. Police Story

9. Akira

10. Enter the Void

11. Once Upon a Time in America

12. A Matter of Life and Death

13. Iron Monkey

14. High & Low

15. Written On the Wind

16. El Violin

17. Robocop

18. Angels with Dirty Faces

19. The Long Goodbye

20. A Bucket of Blood

Where's Kerraig's list? I wanna see Kerraig's list.

I love these threads - since the best of the decade film threads I've gone out and bought a few films that showed up in everyone's lists (La Haine, Beat my heart skipped and others). I'll post my top 20 soon -- one thing for sure, it's not very highbrow.

Very difficult this, although I imagine the order or even the films could've changed somewhat if I were in a different mood.

1. The Matrix

2. Back to the Future pt 1

3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

4. Forest Gump

5. Hot Fuzz

6. Kill Bill vol. 1

7. Ghostbusters

8. Memento

9. City of God

10. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

11. Die Hard

12. Requiem for a Dream

13. Seven Samurai

14. Goodfellas

15. Monsters Inc.

16. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

17. Pulp Fiction

18. Training Day

19. 40 year old Virgin

20. Shaun of the Dead

Close, but not in the mood to put them on my list:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Heat

The Incredibles

Ferris Buellers Day Off

The Shawshank Redemption

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Blade Runner

Schindlers List

Aliens

Life is Beautiful

Notting Hill (sorry).

1. The Ice Storm

2. Beauty and the Beast

3. The Secret Garden

4. Requiem for a Dream

5. Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring

6. Little Shop of Horrors

7. Ghostbusters

8. Heathers

9. Me Without You

10. Leaving Last Vegas

11. The Little Mermaid

12. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

13. Magnolia

14. Clueless

15. The Lion King

16. American Beauty

17. The Truman Show

18. Garden State

19. Drop Dead Gorgeous

20. Perfect Blue

This is my super quick list....didn't spend too much time editing it. I imagine there are some films I've forgotten but no matter.

1. 2001 A Space Odyssey

2. Seven Samurai

3. Casablanca

4. Jaws

5. Apocalypse Now

6. Lawrence of Arabia

7. Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

8. Aliens

9. Fight Club

10. Bringing Up Baby

11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

12. Taxi Driver