Modes in games you still love to play

mr_woo

We all have our favourite single player/multiplayer games that we love to play/replay, be it Call Of Duty multiplayer, Battlefield or for me Half Life 2/Far Cry 2 single player which are my go to comfort games. But are there any particular modes in games that you find yourself replaying even now ? For example, I love Condemned 2 and I love first person melee. I find myself now and again always putting on the Fight Club mode or Practice Mode just to mess around for 30 mins and beat up some bums. Still fun even now and pretty unique in that no other game really does that style of combat (apart from Zeno Clash)

Another one would be the Aliens Vs Predator survival mode which is also still really fun despite the games other problems. Any games/modes in particular that even now, no matter the games age you like to put on for a bit now and again ?

Plunder in Uncharted 2, but that's hardly old.

Well it doesn't have to be old as such. New or old or whatever. Just modes in games that aren't typically the most popular multiplayer games today such as COD, Halo etc. You've reminded me about Uncharted 2 though, haven't played Plunder in ages.

Less than a year ago I somehow found myself playing Mario Kart 64 balloon mode with three friends (I think one of them was demonstrating emus on his Jtag or something like that) and we ended up playing for hours. Turns out it was just as much fun as I remembered despite the game as a whole having obviously aged a great deal.

Various modes of Worms still get played between mates, I suppose it is sort of it's raison d'etre but some things like not much else but guns and digging / moving about equipment and others which aren't the preset modes get played quite a bit.

Creative stunts in 2P GTA gets played quite a bit too which again, isn't maybe that outlandish but not technically what the game was made for.

Guardian Heroes still gets brought out every year for some 6 player chaos. Random teams, random characters = loads of fun. I'm glad I bought the memory cart back in the day so we've still got the records - me and a mate have been neck and neck at the top for 13 years. Christ, that makes me feel old.

Road Rage in Burnout Paradise - I never get tired it.

It's miles more fun than the follow-the-marker-and-hope-you're-going-the-right-way mode.

On a similar note I'll add crash junctions from the previous Burnout games. Burnout 2 is probably the best as 3 had those multipliers that basically made you do the them one way. Still great fun though.

Blitz: The League 2's 'butterfingers' mode - the game is a slapstick/OTT American football game for those unfamiliar, and there is a mode where every hit results in a fumble, so there's no 'downs' or anything. It's fucking amazing. Plus you can play in snow for maximum lols.

Secondly, and this is a real multiplayer favourite of mine, NHL2005's 'Free 4 All' mode. Half a rink, one goal, 4 players, no fouls. They should do a version of this in Pro Evo or FIFA, seriously.

Strangely I have no interest at all in these sports...

Tetris DX Ultra mode is still great. 51 lines is my record. They can keep coming back with all these gimmicky modes in new Tetris games but Tetris DX hasn't been bettered.

I sent my Tetris highscore into one of the Nintendo magazines but they didn't print it because they didn't believe I could get that high a score. Next month they did print it cos someone else sent in a higher score.

Just dug out DX to see what I could get on Ultra but couldn't get on with the controls cos I'm so used to playing the DS version where you press up to drop the piece quickly.