Ultra Street Fighter IV

Day 3: I want you to hit me as hard as you can

The brown streak continues, but it was to be expected I suppose. Little things are getting better though and starting to sink in, finally. Highlight of the evening was beating 500-odd Dhalsim with Dudley and feeling like I played well for it. I feel like I'm getting to grips with when and when not to do things so I need to get into 'the lab' (a garden shed with a homemade chemistry set in) and get two or thee combos down now, so I can maximise the damage I make when I get the chance, as Strawdonkey mentioned.

Incidentally, what happened to WotR?

They finished the trilogy and then made a bunch of hobbit movies nobody wanted.

Do you have a chat headset? You're right that a lot of it will come down to practice and experience, but if you want to do a training session add me and I will do my best to avoid giving my usual terrible advice (e.g. always use st.mp, jump more, etc). It must be hard work joining the game again now without much feedback on how you're doing. My tag is ALI5T4RR - I think we used to be friends but one of us may have callously cut the other off thanks to the daft limit on how many friends you're allowed.

I'm distraught. You're still on my list (I think).

I'll set up the headset and that this weekend and if you're on, that would be much appreciated.

I'm enjoying the times I play, regardless of the outcome, so I guess that's why I play games.

I remember you DC, I'm sure we had a Balrog mirror match back when there was an RLLMUK tournie aages back.

Didn't you play Blazblue back when everyone thought it was a good idea? Anyway, I'm in much the same boat as you, jus getting back into this after a few shakey starts, at a lowly 500pp compared to the 2000+ I was rocking in Vanilla. I've left the scumminess of Cammy on the side for now, and actually trying to remember how to play the game 'properly' using Sakura.

I'm so bad, and so angry at being so bad :(

Incidentally, what happened to WotR?

I think everyone had kids/got old and real life just kinda got in the way. Writing one article was pretty tough and pulling the whole thing together must have taken hours.

A lot of the old faces are still around and the forum is still going, but short of amusingly-timed one-off comebacks I don't think it'll be back, sadly :(

If anyone's planning on any XBL lobbying over the next few days feel free to throw invites at me if I'm around. I'm hoping not everyone has abandoned Street Fighter in favour of big stompy robots and bonfire kindling... :(

I've abandoned Street Fighter in favour of Street Fighter on my laptop instead. I got the achievement for using focus attacks.

Is the character announcement for Ultra expected in the early hours of tomorrow, our time? Is there a schedule showing a Capcom announcement time? I figure the announcement would be early on so they can playtest a build including her at the event?

That's Arturo's Dhalsim, too - in fact pretty much everyone featured in that video is amazing at Street Fighter.

It's funny watching the PIE streams and seeing how many times the people who play him day-in, day-out are like "wait... Dudley can do that?" He is a lab monster as well as being a ranked monster (most if not all of the top five Dudley accounts on XBL are him) and a style monster. I guess just an all-round monster?

I remember you DC, I'm sure we had a Balrog mirror match back when there was an RLLMUK tournie aages back.

Didn't you play Blazblue back when everyone thought it was a good idea? Anyway, I'm in much the same boat as you, jus getting back into this after a few shakey starts, at a lowly 500pp compared to the 2000+ I was rocking in Vanilla. I've left the scumminess of Cammy on the side for now, and actually trying to remember how to play the game 'properly' using Sakura.

I'm so bad, and so angry at being so bad :(

I seem to recall that. I can't fathom why I'd pick Balrog though as I'm awful with him. I seem to remember you winning though?

Never played Blazeblue. I think I'm on similar PP to you and, as mentioned, left Fei Long largely behind for the same reasons as you've dropped Cammy.

Gootecks and Mike Ross in any form is some of my favourite things to watch regardless of how good I am at this game.

Are there murmurings that the announcement will be after the top 16? Because I sometimes go to a different room and close my eyes for hours roughly this time of night.

Been hearing that its going to be around midnight for us UK folks, looks like the stream is starting soon as a load of ads have started rotating. I am falling asleep on my arse but I will hold out until midnight, then fuck it.