Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

Niggle plussed.

Also I'd like to say in advance that Imp has completely wrecked any impact at all my pics of the Mug of Win would have had. As underwhelming as they would have been to start with they are now rendered close to pointless. I still had to plus the bejeezus out of his posts though. Even my missus was in hysterics as we perused them. The sod.

post-6918-062001100 1295302406_thumb.jpg

post-6918-043756100 1295302516_thumb.jpg

What a great day this thread has had.

Also, joffo and carlito, one of my housemates was watching stuff on 4OD! I had some LAG FREE ranked matches later on, I shit you not. I saved the replays for some of them and everything.

Niggle plussed.

Also I'd like to say in advance that Imp has completely wrecked any impact at all my pics of the Mug of Win would have had. As underwhelming as they would have been to start with they are now rendered close to pointless. I still had to plus the bejeezus out of his posts though. Even my missus was in hysterics as we perused them. The sod.

[

lol brilliant Cale. I have to say I do feel a bit bad about adding the extra comment on your cup now :-(

I must have been in a right old bah humbug mood.

On the plus I made no differeniation in the rllmuk online post annoucing you as a rllmuk champion of champions ;-)

SSFIV blog has some cool hitboxy stuff regarding the AE changes.

I didn't know Balrog was being damage nerfed as well as the other odd changes.

Lovely hitbox buffs for Guy as well, and further info on just how Ryu's low medium kick has been nerfed.

SSFIV:

8RYU_01.jpg

AE:

8RYU_02.jpg

Less active frames, more hittable at the tip, fractionally less range. They've really gone for it.

The Viper Ultra 2 comparison is pretty funny as well. We all knew it had a shit hitbox, but look how shit:

8VIP_01.jpg

No wonder it whiffs. Jesus.

New one is nice though:

8VIP_02.jpg

I want to see the one for Gen's ultra 2 now.

Thanks for the matches last night guys, I was even starting to get through the other side of my horrible, laggy mess of a connection by the end of things.

Gen, Sakura, Ibuki from the random box all in a row though..

qRnQl.png

Went and had a quick play in randoms and got a suprisingly close game in against Jiroczechs Blanka, then mollywhumped some poor random guy for a good half hour to make myself feel better :P

Yeah, was nice to see a friendly face in the lobby last night Spuckuk. I left about 5 mins after you. The host took me on in a Blanka mirror match and won the 1st round by spamming electricity - I was mortified... regained my composure to win the match but god I was shite.

Yeah, was nice to see a friendly face in the lobby last night Spuckuk. I left about 5 mins after you. The host took me on in a Blanka mirror match and won the 1st round by spamming electricity - I was mortified... regained my composure to win the match but god I was shite.

That might have been the last match he won :P I took him and another random on a 14 win streak. Highlight had to be a one button medium punch Zangief perfect round, cheered me up after the horrible pastings I took from Joffo and co.

Hello, I was that blanka I think. My name on live is 'Mister Samuel' and I basically got an utter raping in the lobby last night. Won like 2 matches if that.

In my defense I have had the game about 2 weeks and haven't played street fighter in like 3 years, so am kind of horrible and have to spam moves to have any hope of winning. It was good fun though, and I hope to get a bit better and become less of a scrub with time. Was a lot of fun!

Was it you? I thought it was someone called Bang Bang something... oh, maybe you're talking to Spuckuk? I'm confused! No shame in spamming moves either way, if someone can't deal with it it's their problem.

Only got Ryu's last trial to do. The cr.MK ~ hadoken FADC Ultra 2 is nasty but it's getting j.HP,cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MP, cr.MK to work consistently that's causing me grief. I can do cr.LP, cr.MP, cr.MK ~ hadoken but as soon as I put in the 2nd LP I'm down to linking only maybe 1 in 20. It's like there's a big window for the cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MP to combo, but then the cr.MK is tight and I fuck up my rhythm when I put it all together. I will get it though. I'm method acting Ryu so I expect it all to fall into place soon.

Was it you? I thought it was someone called Bang Bang something... oh, maybe you're talking to Spuckuk? I'm confused! No shame in spamming moves either way, if someone can't deal with it it's their problem.

Only got Ryu's last trial to do. The cr.MK ~ hadoken FADC Ultra 2 is nasty but it's getting j.HP,cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MP, cr.MK to work consistently that's causing me grief. I can do cr.LP, cr.MP, cr.MK ~ hadoken but as soon as I put in the 2nd LP I'm down to linking only maybe 1 in 20. It's like there's a big window for the cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MP to combo, but then the cr.MK is tight and I fuck up my rhythm when I put it all together. I will get it though. I'm method acting Ryu so I expect it all to fall into place soon.

My only bit of advice for this is to take it slowly, and hit all the timings at a regular pace - that should ensure you hit them all. Also, if you can, you'll want to plink the c.MK as it's a 1 framer from c.MP to c.MK.

I think that MK nerf for Ryu is a bit too harsh. Obviously it was one of the best pokes in the game, but someone's got to have the best one no?

That same article had the Cammy Cannon Strike minimum height restrictions.

This on the the way up:

8CMY_01.jpg

This on the way down:

8CMY_02.jpg

Obviously the nerf on the way up destroys everything you used to be able to do as that is pretty much peak height. On the way down I think it may just be possible to still do the crossup/fake crossup wakeup shennanigans - that said you may not be able to combo after the strike even on hit given their minimal hitstun it has, almost certainly will be tremendously unsafe on block against reversal characters from that height sadly.

Fortunately Rufus, Yun and Yang's dive kicks, which are also safe on block, cost no meter, beat crouch techs and lead to high damage combos do not have similar enforced height restrictions - so that's good.

Also Eternal Blaze, a Vega player from SRK, posted a blog about his first impressions of the changes made to a few of the characters - mainly Vega, Juri and Yun which has some interesting stuff, particularly for those worried about the Cosmic Heel nerf. Link

He was short and sweet with his Cammy impressions

-Cammy is just sad, not gonna add to that.

Boo Hiss.

Thanks for the advice imp. I tried plinking the MK but find it easier to hit without it although I guess that's just cos my plinking is crap (actually it fucks me up for the rest of the combo cos I have to hit cr.MK to hadoken with a middle finger for the MK instead of my index finger which I'm used to and that messes up my timing, maybe I just need to re-program that muscle memory). The fact I can hit the cr.LP,cr.MP, cr.MK, hadoken pretty consistently outside of the whole combo gives me hope. Ryu's trials have been good for my execution I think (although you wouldn't know it from my recent lobby exploits), I'm used to charge characters so it's been a tricky experience but I'm focusing on my timing and accuracy and it's improving.

edit: from carlito's link "Vega: Overall probably Mid-tier, slightly Better than SSF4". That's nice.

It is sad. Even if people adapt and still make her useful, you won't get the absolutely glorious beastings that we've seen from the likes of Sako and Alioune. She wasn't overpowered. TK Cannon strike and the mix ups you get from it are strong tools, but they're not too strong and Cammy wasn't super over-powered at either casual or high stakes tournament level. It makes Cammy a really exciting rushdown character, and gives her at least a shot of getting in when opponents adopt the dreaded "Cammy has nothing against holding down-back" approach.

A harsh nerf, and it's one that feels like Capcom punishing players who discovered and made great use of something they didn't initially intend to be in the game rather than addressing a serious balance issue. Combos were initially an accident as well god dang it.

At least we have the memories:

Dhalsim players will be happy though.

dhalsim players are never happy - they are filled with self loathing which tightens its grip around their fragile bendy necks every time they pick ultra 1, all the while knowing there's a glorious world of aerial headbutting out there that they just don't dare to explore because they are addicted to ultra 1 and its ability to help them escape corners. little do they realise that it is a downward spiral from which few can ever escape, and that the true corner trap is the hole inside their own tired and faintly thudding hearts.

supporting evidence: filipino champ's excellent adventures appearances. arturo sanchez's face. that emperor cow chap you guys met at the london thing. ultra 1.

Fortunately Rufus, Yun and Yang's dive kicks, which are also safe on block, cost no meter, beat crouch techs and lead to high damage combos do not have similar enforced height restrictions - so that's good.

Not to mention that their dive kicks are hilariously easy to pull off compared to Cammy's.

Dhalsim will be pretty tough for Cammy now I think just in terms of getting in as well as being less effective once she is in (although that was slightly silly in Super)

Before you could get him to whiff antiairs by messing with the spacing on your jumps with Cannon Spikes, but obviously that has gone now.

In addition they nerfed the Spiral Arrow (literally no idea why, considering all version were unsafe, easily beaten by normals, no invincibility frames etc) making it firstly harder to combo (it no longer combos from c.lk, c.lp, c.lk) and also, more painfully, it is now even harder to FADC out of it - the window is apparently very short right around startup and only works if you hit the SA really deep.

Hooligan Combo, including EX, has always been utterly useless as can be easily ducked or punished by anything on reaction even by muggins like me.

And her only armour breaker, the spinning backfist, still probably holds the the title as the most useless move in the game with it's eye watering 36 frame startup throughout which it is completely punishable by any normal or ultra.

Should be a lol trying to build meter too.