Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

Hello! Last night was fun. I'm sorry my internet is so wildly shit that I can never connect to one of you lot. I did a little speed test earlier and I'm getting 0.6Mbps download and 0.4 upload. Thank god we're paying orange for their top of the line broadband. It's probably the shitty rural exchange, which I fully expect to contain vacuum cylinders and valves.

I am practicing wildly so that maybe one day I can win a few lobby matches, but I think I've got a while to go until I reach joffos wildly insane game time.

I think my highlight was that idiotic missed ultra with blanka. wp me!

I think I've got a while to go until I reach joffos wildly insane game time.

i hit 300 hours last night - now i just need to not sleep for a year and i should start closing in on him.

i couldn't connect to joffo's lobby because jlm was in there, apparently. it's like being a divorced couple or something. fortunately onze sent me an invite shortly afterwards and saved me from having to learn fuerte just yet by killing me with a bunch of characters. i sneaked in a couple of wins with ryu though. not proud of it, but it happened.

Not entirely sure what I can do about it though. :(

apologies if i've asked before but have you done the port forwarding nonsense? i did it and it fixed my problem with a couple of other people. it was a proper mission though - mostly because, when i met the devil at the crossroads, in addition to trading my eternal soul for insane guitar skills i also traded my network setup knowledge for this sweet rowing machine he had just gathering dust in his spare circle of hell. on the plus side i'm in great shape now.

anyway. if you've done the port-forwarding thing i don't really know. we must just suck at life.

What's this like to play with the 360 pad?

General consensus is that it isn't great because the d-pad isn't particularly precise, you only get four face buttons and using the left stick is just a little bit odd.

However! Joffo was still a beast using the original 360 pad and it's certainly functional enough for you to decide whether or not you like the game and whether or not you'd be willing to spend moneys on a fancy controller for it.

alistarr, I have not done any port forwarding but would be willing to try. I can google and find it myself of course, but if you happen to have a link to a guide for the stupid then it would be greatly appreciated.

the other thing you can do is google "[your router model name here] halo 3" or something like that. mine is a lame o2 router so it didn't have a "port forwarding" menu - i had to "assign a game or other application to a device" or something similarly confusing. but basically you find the page on your router home page, pick your device (i think you need a device address which you can get from the xbox dashboard) and plug in four numbers into boxes and press "save".

like i say, though, it took me a lot longer to do than it took to explain it there.

So I'm sitting here with a bag of Reese's Pieces, and I'm thinking that I could quite easily slip these into the Smarties of a peanut-allergy-having enemy.

Also, thank you to Alistarr and Hulk Hogan for the router advice. There will be no confectionery-based attempts on either of your lives. From me at least.

Additionalier: Mayor Mike Haggar's Meatloaf recpie is conspicuous by its absence from the thread.

What's this like to play with the 360 pad?

The d-pad's useless for rotational moves, the analogue stick's useless for precise taps, and commands on triggers/bumpers are just wrong in every way. I highly recommend the Fightpad if you're after a pad rather than a stick; its floaty d-pad and six face buttons take away a lot of the hassle.

Oh and obviously get used to playing with the pad resting on your right thumb and your fingers covering commands; it's next to impossible to play whilst holding the pad in the "conventional" manner. For me at least..

1. wait a month after 3DS version launches to keep the focus on that and avoid accusations of blatantly releasing an obsolete version

2. announce DLC

3. ???

4. release DLC infuriatingly close to Evo weekend to maximise volume of srk arguments about whether or not to use it

the "???" is short for "spend two months poring over blurry pictures of a stupid blanka toy on twitter", in case anyone was wondering.

I'm getting thoroughly sick of that shit now; I haven't played you or Hyper P for aaaaages.

Not entirely sure what I can do about it though. :(

P.S. Goemon was playing CSI.

Heh.

I'll be picking up a new router sometime next week - hopefully then, our Internets will play nice.

The d-pad's useless for rotational moves, the analogue stick's useless for precise taps, and commands on triggers/bumpers are just wrong in every way. I highly recommend the Fightpad if you're after a pad rather than a stick; its floaty d-pad and six face buttons take away a lot of the hassle.

Oh and obviously get used to playing with the pad resting on your right thumb and your fingers covering commands; it's next to impossible to play whilst holding the pad in the "conventional" manner. For me at least..

I dunno, rotational moves, especially 360s/720s and dragon punch motions are something I find much, much easier to do on the xbox pad than on a stick. The only thing I had problems with on the standard 360 pad was high jump cancels into instant burning kicks, double half circle ultras and charge moves.

As for the buttons, I use those in the normal way as well, thumb for the face, index fingers for the shoulders. I map 3x punches and kicks to RT and LT, light punches and kicks on the matching bumpers, HP and HK as Y and A, and MP and MK kept as X and B. FADC is easier this way than on a stick too, because dashing is easier as a couple of forward taps and focusing is only a matter of mashing a thumb down over the two buttons. I did have some trouble throwing consistently though, due to pressing lp and lk and slightly different times due to rubbishness of finger.

Also, No. 1 Gen On Xbox Live Bono 93 plays entirely on a standard 360 pad, with default controls. The bastard.

Also, If.... is awful.

Ah, I imagine I'm just very lazy these days. :) I can't imagine having one thumb hopping between the buttons, and tbh I still have trouble with 360s on any kind of input - the Fightpad's floaty d-pad just makes quarter and half-circle inputs a bit more pronounced.

(That said, I play GGPO using a keyboard so I can't really comment on input methods...)

I'm borrowing a friends copy of SSFIV and today I met my first forumite!

It's hard to post a video of beating someone who then requested not to mention it on the forum but I'm just so darn pleased about the win as I'm basically shit at SSFIV and this was the best win I've had and it just so happened to be against a fellow forumite. There's no way I'll make it past 1500 with my main Ken so thank you geldra for having a bad game against me, you made a noob shoto very happy :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-iKsS897O4

i also like how in the first two you're gingerly holding the headgear in place as if not sure it'll stay without help, but in the third you've got that confidence back. a real photographic short story.

i didn't play any street fighter tonight. i updated my playstation for half an hour, spent ten minutes updating black ops, then did about an hour's worth of shooting people and driving around. ps3 is truly the most fun you can have without using your joystick.