Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

So is this the fighting game to get at the moment? Specifically for a noob to the genre using a gamepad. Was looking for a generic fighting games thread but can't find one.

It's very accessible as it is built around the gameplay elements of SF2. So yes. Something like Blazblue can be baffling even to seasoned fighters.

What's the learning curve like on the sticks? I really like the idea of getting one but I've never been a stick user in the past. When I last played a lot of SF it was in the SNES days and I got to a reasonable level on the SNES pad but was pretty crap on the arcade sticks. Should I stick with the pad or would a stick be worth it in the long run? Is it something you will just get better at or does it require a modicum of natural stick ability?

http://gamerdork.net/?p=464 Arcade stick guide- some of the info is out of date, but the principles stick

And

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=202427

So is this the fighting game to get at the moment? Specifically for a noob to the genre using a gamepad. Was looking for a generic fighting games thread but can't find one.

This is pretty much the most popular fighting game on rllmuk. It might be worth holding out for Marvel vs Capcom 3 next month as there will be loads of people starting on that pretty fresh, and it might even cause a temporary lack of rllmuk SSFIV lobbies. SSFIV is probably the friendliest title for newcomers though, yes.

What's the learning curve like on the sticks? I really like the idea of getting one but I've never been a stick user in the past. When I last played a lot of SF it was in the SNES days and I got to a reasonable level on the SNES pad but was pretty crap on the arcade sticks. Should I stick with the pad or would a stick be worth it in the long run? Is it something you will just get better at or does it require a modicum of natural stick ability?

You'll definitely get the hang if it if you stick (ha!) with it. Might be frustrating at first perhaps. Has anyone here made the transition from pad to stick?

I made the transition from pad to stick a couple of months after IVanilla dropped. I found it really fucking hard to start with to the point that the £70 odd I spent on a Hori EX 2 (I know!) seemed like it might've been one of the biggest wastes of money I'd ever been party to. But before too long it started to stick (lol) and I would never go back. Got a TE stick in a cracking bargain deal a few months later and that's even better.

Be ok with the fact that you will suffer humiliating defeat after defeat and lose all your PP for a short while and you'll be fine.

That said, there have been a few pad gods tearing up trees round these parts so it's not a prerequisite in order to play to a high level. But it'd be fair to say most of us on here use a stick.

I used a pad for hundreds and hundreds of hours on IVanilla, and it wasn't til a while after the release of Super that I decided to switch to stick full time. It was a bit of a difficult process, and where before I was able to bust out whatever move I needed to do when I wanted, with the stick I found myself pausing to think first, and really grinding the thing around. I was also completely incapable of switching my blocking stance when the opponent jumped over me. It all came together in time though, and certain things like Viper's wild cancels and Gen's stance switching nonsense were definitely easier, so I decided to stick (hoho!) with it.

Avenue Battler.

So, everyone knows the traditional Rllmuk small lobby set up is 2 or 3 rllmukers and a space for a random passer by to become the lobby tyrant. Then everyone plays 'Topple the tyrant by only using random select characters'. Well, JLM and I have truly kicked it up a notch this afternoon, by inventing

BEAT THE LOBBY TYRANT ONLY USING GUY!

This guy, TofuCofu, came in and started using Guy. I did random select and got Guy as my character, so there was a guy mirror. After losing, I challenged JLM to pick up the torch and beat him using Guy. However, he did not choose guy again. He cycled round quite a few characters, while we endured the pain of having to use Guy against all of them. He eventually left us after 13 straight wins in a row, undefeated. What a guy!

So, everyone knows the traditional Rllmuk small lobby set up is 2 or 3 rllmukers and a space for a random passer by to become the lobby tyrant. Then everyone plays 'Topple the tyrant by only using random select characters'. Well, JLM and I have truly kicked it up a notch this afternoon, by inventing

BEAT THE LOBBY TYRANT ONLY USING GUY!

This guy, TofuCofu, came in and started using Guy. I did random select and got Guy as my character, so there was a guy mirror. After losing, I challenged JLM to pick up the torch and beat him using Guy. However, he did not choose guy again. He cycled round quite a few characters, while we endured the pain of having to use Guy against all of them. He eventually left us after 13 straight wins in a row, undefeated. What a guy!

JLM and.....

JLM and.....

Dude, people in this thread look up to you, I didn't want them to know that your Guy is beatable. It's true though, Carlito was there, and lost. Twice. He did mention something about a hand injury or something from furious practice with a new grip though. Carlito would have had TofuCofu on a good day, he was no TKO Rimz.

I don't get to play SF tonight as I'm not at home. I do have my stick with me though, and MAME, so can anyone recommend some things that I should maybe have a look at? I just had a go of ESP Ra.De, but I'm no imp at shoot em ups. I basically want to play some mad old games I've probably never heard of (but still legally own the original roms for).

I suspect JLM knows all about that sort of thing.

I like ABA games freeware PC shmups parsec 47, Noiz2sa and of course, the AMAZING Tumiki Fighters - which is like Katamari Damacy as a shmup. (It came out before Katamari IIRC).

I had a strange old time on ranked just now. Played about 6 people in a row who had 8-20k BP. Lost them all obviously. Then I played some 0BP 0PP dudes, and felt like a dick for beating them. I hate it when the game matches me against box fresh newbies. Partly because I don't want my stats to get any worse after such crushing losses, partly because I would bleed PP if I lost. (Tee hee, bleed PP).

Then... I went through a rllmuk rite of passage and fought WorstGiefEVER...

and...

WON! Yessss. Proof my Akuma works on a) sensible players and b) ZANGIEFS. Then again, I don't think he was actually as good as MestizoUK, so I don't know how happy I should be. Anyway, played keepy away to perfection in the first round. Got panicky at the end of the second and ate some EX green hand through unsafe fireballs. Third round almost got a perfect. :)

Of course I saved the replay immediately and ran away to endless battle. I promptly lost 6 games in a row to the driest Abel player I've ever come across. He had the most solid defense. Well done to him. Prick.

I started my own lobby and FrostyDaPerv came in. 3000PP - yikes! He seemed to main Dudley, but I took him down with ample use of empty jump in throws (He liked to use EX counter and focuses). Annnd.....made him rage quit. Yep. Very successful evening, I guess.

Also, Alistarr has been playing the trials for approximately 8 hours or something. Good luck!

Also, Alistarr has been playing the trials for approximately 8 hours or something. Good luck!

i hit 90% complete tonight! which was the target i set myself before i got distracted by C to shining C. i'm not holding out much hope of getting much further. it's my kind of videogaming though - hours of demoralising failures punctuated by the briefest moments of minor triumph.

Hahahaha. Oh man, Indestructa6le is about 13. JLM and I had an extended lobby with him last weekend. He really is an awful child. Everything you hit is 'lucky' and then he sends you text messages telling you to fuck off when you win (because you've muted him long ago - due to his incessant shitty headphone hiss and penchant for rambling non-stop about his action replay'd shiny legendary pokemon collection).

Yup, it's hard to shake that kid. He still keeps spamming me friend requests and inviting me to join his games.

Craig Charles funk and soul night last night. AMAZING. So much funk in that room. Also I gave Craig Charles a big hug and told him to say NO to any more Red Dwarf related projects. I think he knows what's up now.

Cul-de-sac Attack.

Full version of the top ten tier list for AE that appeared in Arcadia magazine and then put on Air's blog: (I nicked this translation from EH).

Daigo Umehara

S: Fei Long

A+: Yun, Yang

A: C. Viper, Akuma, Ken

B: Makoto, M. Bison (Dictator), Dhalsim, Balrog (Boxer), Ryu, Cammy, Dee Jay, Zangief, Sagat, Sakura, Adon, E. Honda, Rufus, Vega (Claw)

C: Abel, Blanka, Chun-Li, Cody, Dan, Dudley, El Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Rose, Seth, T. Hawk

Mago

A+: Yun

A: Yang, Balrog (Boxer), Chun-Li, C. Viper, Akuma, Cammy, Sagat

B+: Ken, Adon, Zangief, Sakura, M. Bison (Dictator), E. Honda, Makoto

B: Rufus, Abel, Vega (Claw), Dhalsim, Guile, Dee Jay, Ryu

C: Blanka, Cody, Dan, Dudley, El Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Rose, Seth, T. Hawk

Tokido

A+: Yun

A: Yang, Akuma, C. Viper, Makoto, Ken

B: Ryu, Chun-Li, E. Honda, Zangief, Dhalsim, Balrog (Boxer), Sagat, M. Bison (Dictator), Vega (Claw), Rufus, Abel, Seth, Cammy, Sakura, Adon

C: Blanka, Cody, Dan, Dee Jay, Dudley, El Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Rose, T. Hawk