Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

Yeah, I'll be interested to see how it changes over time though. Rushdown is king now, I guess. I can't believe T Hawk is dead last in all those lists though - weren't all the US players raving about how good he's gotten?

Also, don't Guy and Ibuki seem a bit low? The shit that was going down at Nagoya Street Battle yesterday was incredible!

Why do the characters I always switch to (Fei atm) end up at the top of tier lists thus giving excuse for people in the rllobby to go "uzi lololol tier whore". DOES NO ONE REMEMBER WHEN I USED HONDA IN VANILLA.......after maining sagat for a while.

They all like the look of Ken too don't they. Wonder why that is*

*read: JLM please tell us why that is.

He's got all of Ryu's links now, plus a better target combo, kara throw, still does silly damage and is so much like his third strike incarnation, you can actually parry, if you believe hard enough.

I surprised Rufus is as low as he is; is it his Ultra 2 nerfs that did it? It's gonna harm his Akuma and Ibuki matchups quite a bit I guess, but those two are made of glass anyway. And yeah; I thought EX Condor Dive would have kicked T Hawk up a notch.

From what I've heard of AE, the tiers are closer than ever. I doubt there is anything other than a tiny gap between A and B characters for example. Hence Rufus/T.Hawk might still be pretty damn good, just not quite as rushdown capable as Fei/Akuma/Yun/Yang/Ken etc

I really hope capcom are tracking the stats of absolutely every fight that's happened in both ranked and endless in Super and before the DLC release they'll hit us with a massive data dump full of graphs and tables showing percentage and actual figure usage for each character, a percentage win rate for each character in all their matchups online with the option to split the data by the player's BP grouping and average taunts per round with Dan.

I'd suspect tier lists would be very different for people at my level of play compared to all the pros.

Rufus is the best character in this videogame.

Le combat de rue.

Despite putting my TE stick up for sale I'm in the mood to try and get back into this again. It's never really clicked with me before so look forward to seeing me about and obliterating me ;)

Awesome; look forward to your return. :D Besides, this Street Fighter lark's never clicked with me and I still play it...

Okay people, I've just gone fucking super crazy batshit mental and bought a TE round 2 stick off ebay. It was brand new from an ebay shop and was £89.95. That's a good deal right? Please tell me what an awesome deal I got and that I haven't just done something really stupid. I need lots of reassurance here. Lots and lots.

I've NEVER played with a stick before except for a few goes on the arcade. I am prepared to be shit with it at first but in the end it'll be much better right? Right?

Am I cool, or just a fucking idiot who's always going to be a bit shit?

90 sounds about standard. Nice going! It's such a lovely product, certainly my favourite gaming possession and I'm sure many here will agree!

It'll be better because it feels right. Don't worry about sucking at first, s'all about soaking up that lovely arcadey feeling. You'll naturally get good with experience, don't worry about that! I was in a similar position when SFIV first came out; Complete scrub at fighting games and arcade sticks, but I took the beatings because I could see myself improving, that's all that mattered to me.

Also think of all the other games you can try out with some stick experience!

Great to see you come back to this game Jonster! Looking forward to some games.

EDIT: Not implying you're a scrub at fighting games like I was!

The main positive, other than the fact it's a very high quality stick, is that it's USB so you can just jam it into a PC or Mac and use it for all your MAME/GGPO/Something else needs as well, so it's not like you've spent a load of money on a thing you'll only use for this generation only. It'll last. Plus there's scores of excellent looking beat em ups coming soon to 360 and PS3, so it's not gonna be gathering much dust any time soon.

You'll use two fingers for focus. I'd imagine most people use their index and middle finger, as I do.

I terms of timing the button presses for those Challenge Mode combos, that's more a symptom of Street Fighter 4 than the controller itself, so you won't see immediate improvement there. 'Plinking' is something that's a lot, lot easier to do on a stick than pad and will improve your chances of those difficult to time links, but it's more of an advanced technique and not something you really have to worry about yet. Basically, when it comes to the point where you're as good as you feel you are on a pad, the stick will allow you to improve further.

For now though, just play with it and get a feel for it. There's plenty of people here, and plenty of resources on shoryuken.com or elsewhere, to answer your questions further down the line.

You'll use two fingers for focus. I'd imagine most people use their index and middle finger, as I do.

:mellow:

Thumb and middle finger surely. Tell me I'm not alone, thread denizens! Thumb and index for throw as well, yeah.

Also, it seems the Super Street Fighter 4 clock doesn't max out (ha!) at 999 hours, as I'm sitting at 1005 now. Ooof. Well, time to find out if it stops at 9999!

Oh my. I think the last time we compared, you were on 500 and I was on 200ish. I'm now on about 480 and you're over a thousand. I am impressed. And scared. When I'm at 1000, and you're at 10000, I shudder at the inevitable gulf in ability.

Are combos and quick button combinations much easier?

Also, what's it like for mashing both mediums for a focus thingy? The buttons look a little offset which makes me think it might be hard to hit both with one finger.

I think so, all six buttons being on the same face makes a really big difference. I'm not sure how people get stuff like Chun legs or hundred hand slaps out on a pad.

I favour thumb and middle for doing focus attacks, it's more practical than using one finger but you'll find what works for you when you start using it. Hey, some people play like this, there is no right way:

347184494_448a06e94b.jpg

I remember finding the sensitivity of the TE buttons being one of the hardest things to get used to, nothing really prepares you for how little pressure you need to apply to get something to come out at the worst possible time.

Some people say it helps them to slam the buttons to time combos. In reality, they're very sensitive though, so it's not necessary. It is, however, fun to do so. The ball-top will be clicky either way though.

I love the fact Seth's wearing sweatbands in that pic - I suppose it's sensible for playing cross handed!

Pockets, you barely need to brush the buttons for them to work, it's disconcerting at first. The mashing will come from sheer panic ^_^

And pfft I'm 30, and I bloody love my stick(s), the girlfriend just rolls her eyes and puts up with it.

i hit MP+MK with my middle finger laid flat across them both. i never even considered doing it a different way! maybe it's just the fightpad apprenticeship i served. i will be experimenting later.

tarmac attacker. concrete beater. double yeller melee-er.

Is anyone going to be on later? Or am I going to have to seek out Indestructa6le for some matches?

Just to give some back story to that little turd, I was in a mini-lobby this morning with him and a Dutch chap. He was playing as Abel and was just spamming wheel kicks all day long and mashing ultras through block strings like it weren't no thing. I could see this behaviour yet to my shame was unable to deal with it properly. It was horrible and frustrating. So I thought the only thing to do was troll the shite out of him and picked Ryu.

The match went a lot like this.

Ab: mid screen Wheel kick

Ry: mp. SRK

Ab: Ultra

Ry: (avoids) does some moves

RYU WINS.

I then get a message saying 'shit'. So I replied saying something stupid about spamming wheel kicks that ended with 'you ragey twat'. And then I blocked communications and reported him for abusive language. I don't think I warranted his message. I did not taunt him. I did not. Oh, hi Jason.

Strasse Scrapper