Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

Thanks to the guys in the lobby just now, great to see Jonster again.

I must apologise for my rekka spamming dull Fei Wrong. I've only begun using him again (after a brief attempt at learning him ages ago) this weekend so all those mashed out light kicks/punches were fucked up attempts at some BnB's. Which I can land in training mode if I concentrate so hard that I close one of my eyes while clenching my buttocks and biting my tongue. In real matches I'm finding it is slightly harder. Still I'll get there CLK, CLK, SLP, CLP X REKKAS you guys soon hopefully. Going to stick with him and resist the temptation to rely on headbutting my way through life.

Also dropping the ultras after all those crumples today left me so sad I was dishing out the ultra super randomly-apologies whoever got caught in my insanity. Blame Choo, his scary constant combos got me in the habit of throwing it out in self defence.

Blame Choo, his scary constant combos got me in the habit of throwing it out in self defence.

You mean scary missed links :( .

Uzi, your Fei is coming along really quickly. Your Footsies with the Rekkas / chicken wings / normals are scary good. It's probably more important to understand spacing etc than learn combos anyway. Sure you'll have those BnBs down soon! :ph34r:

Also cheers to the lobby as always and that epic Rufus vs Gief match with Jonster!

Aye, that was slightly close. I hoped that EX banishing fist would work at the end, had no other ideas what to do!

After the initial couple of fights I stopped trying to barrier burst out of combos, and also remembered that the taunt button wasn't taunt, but is infact hard kick.

I also gained a great trick for beating a cornered imp: empty jump in -> throw into corner. Worked about 5 times in a row during one match, I was waiting to get caught out but it didn't happen.

Haven't decided who to stick with yet, Gief seems an obvious choice after all the use he got in HDR and vanilla SF4, but I'm really feeling his lack of mobility and dry Akumas make me want to cry (no offense, it makes perfect sense to do that from an Akuma's point of view). Plus I think Ragna has left me wanting to rush down, dunno yet mind.

Thanks all and I'll definately be about again :)

I got my TE round 2 from here:

http://www.qfonic.com/gaming-xbox-360-acc-madcatz-street-fighter-round-fight-stick-tournament-xbox360-p-4907.html?osCsid=g1an96f1igirpdbmr44r11d3k2

and it arrived all fine and dandy, though the box had maybe seen slightly better days, you should have said and I could have directed you toward them! Nice to know I'll be able to sell for a profit at least I guess...

anyway I'm in the same boat, transitioning to a stick, and I still suck, so at the moment I'm just spending ages in practice working on my stick game and playing a bit online with my pad, until my stick play improves. Which will take a bit I think.

Also I think I may have jumped in the deep end by starting maining akuma. Christ but he's made of glass, and his wakeup game takes a lot of time to get down. Fun the few times it works though. I still play turtle akuma.

Should it worry me that I have no idea what the fuck you guys are talking about? How long does it take to get up to speed?

if you're writing that in response to jonster's post, it is full of blazblue terminology because he plays loads of blazblue and not much street fighter and so when he plays street fighter he tries to do blazblue stuff that doesn't exist.

if that wasn't what you were talking about, here is a handy list of phrases used elsewhere in the last few posts:

BnB = bread and butter = nice damaging combo that should be used often. for fei long it is usually hundreds of jabs into his punching special moves.

empty jump in = jumping at the opponent but not pressing an attack button, so you can do stuff really quickly on landing (like throw when they're expecting to have to block)

missed links = some moves will "cancel" (just press the second move once the first has started and it'll interrupt the first one) into each other, but others you need to "link", which means waiting til the first move has finished and then doing the second in the tiny window of time between your attack animation finishing and the opponent's stun from the move finishing. this window varies for different moves. rufus for example can link a LK into a HP, but there's only 1/60th of a second in which you can press the HP if you want it to combo (if it doesn't combo, the opponent can block it)

crumple = if you hit a focus attack under certain conditions the opponent will slowly crumple to the floor. this is a great opportunity to land a big attack but usually what happens is you panic and then miss completely

rush down = what it sounds like - get in close to your opponent and deal damage and try and confuse them into freaking out and then just beat the heck out of them

dry = catch all adjective to remark negatively about an opponent's playstyle (i.e. you'll see it used often on the internet, alongside "cheap" and "broken", all slightly different and all being misapplied by people grumpy they loss) but in most cases (and on this page, where it was used accurately) means someone playing a careful game and zoning you (trying to keep you away from them) with fireballs and long range attacks (note: they usually have to be beating you to earn the adjective)

EX = pressing two buttons for a special move will burn one bar of your super meter and alter the properties of your special move - in some cases it's just more damage, in others it'll make the attack knock the opponent down, or make you able to absorb a hit while your attack animation starts up, etc.

if it was the jonster thing, don't worry, i don't have anything better to do today anyway. i finished ranking all the characters up to grade C and now my life is empty of purpose.

Freeway Fisticuffs.

last night i couldn't use the internet so i started playing vanquish thinking it would be a nice change of pace but, no joke, i kept having to take a break every 30 minutes or so to let my eyes calm down. that game is ridiculous. so i beat arcade mode on hardest once each with ryu and ken and then spent three hours making hearty mexican bean jambalaya. i guess what i'm saying is yes, a lobby sounds like a good call at this point!

if you're writing that in response to jonster's post, it is full of blazblue terminology because he plays loads of blazblue and not much street fighter and so when he plays street fighter he tries to do blazblue stuff that doesn't exist.

Sorry about that, will need to relearn SF notation and things at somepoint too. But yeah, I tried to do lots of stuff that I couldn't.

dry = catch all adjective to remark negatively about an opponent's playstyle (i.e. you'll see it used often on the internet, alongside "cheap" and "broken", all slightly different and all being misapplied by people grumpy they loss) but in most cases (and on this page, where it was used accurately) means someone playing a careful game and zoning you (trying to keep you away from them) with fireballs and long range attacks (note: they usually have to be beating you to earn the adjective)

Pleased I used it correctly. I find it hard to find fault with "dry" players, they know what needs to be done, do it and win - nothing wrong with that at all in my book :)

:(

I went online yesterday for the first time in months. I hadn't played since September, and even before that I was only on now and again between May and September. I got absolutely STUFFED. My reactions are ruined. Is there anyone in here of a similarly rubbish level that wants to break me in again gently?

Also, what's with all the amazing Cammy players now?

I used to main Cammy in SFIV, but now in Super it seems EVERYONE can use her. And they all do it way better than me :( I have no idea how to make her be so IN YOUR FACE like those guys.

I'm pretty gash, you can fight me if you like. I almost think you should just jump on with anyone from here though. Fair enough, you'll probably get smashed all over but it's the best way to learn in my book. The 'geldra gets smashed all over' annual.

Sorry about that, will need to relearn SF notation and things at somepoint too. But yeah, I tried to do lots of stuff that I couldn't.

or just wait for SSF4 AE to come to consoles - one of the new chaps has an air dash and everything!

I'm pretty gash, you can fight me if you like. I almost think you should just jump on with anyone from here though. Fair enough, you'll probably get smashed all over but it's the best way to learn in my book. The 'geldra gets smashed all over' annual.

Ok,

might be a few days!

mmmmmmm viper goes to town makes me sad I can only do EX Seismo to burning kick with good luck and a following wind

On Friday I had a magical moment with Makoto, just one round against my friend but it was splendid and gives me warm feelings when I remember it.

MP to Hayate, cr.MP to Hayate for a bit, then Hayate FADC Karakusa to HP to Hayate again. Smackerackeroo!

The next round I karakusa'd him into Ultra 1, only to mash the fucker and it didn't come out. Then he kicked my lips off

Pavement altercation

for me the best thing to do with those is, making sure you're only pressing each button once, deliberately do the last button too slowly (So you see the kick come out and get blocked by dan) and then speed up gently until when you press it the kick doesn't come out - that's the point at which you've started to do it too fast, so you know that you're around the right kind of timing. or watch a youtube video of someone doing all his trials so you can see the timing.

i'm sure jlm will be along shortly to tell you exactly how many frames you have to do that particular link in, but they're not all crazily tight - 1/60th of a second is the tightest it can possibly be (the game runs at 60 frames of animation per second) but plenty of the links give you a bunch of frames in which to hit them.

only if your TE stick's mic input is as broken as mine.

oh the horror. You should have entered a tournament and plugged in your headset - everyone would be what the fuck is that rumbling noise - then you kick arse, get up and say 'Killa Bees'. Be better if you were dressed as a bumble bee as well. Will there be a SvB this year? Do they happen every year?

Also, also why didn't Diago and Mago put Evil Ryu and Oni into their Top Tier list just to piss off Capcom?

Edit: oh Shit I forgot: Penny Lane Pugilist - I have no idea of the rules and was tempted just to write Bacon but have no idea what the hell that is about anyway.

Now that I've finished with all the Canada Cup matches I didn't see the first time, I'm working my way through the NEC XI playlist on Team Spooky's youtube channel. I watch a lot of West Coast tournaments, so it's a nice change to see a major without Ricky O, FChamp and the rest hogging up the top spots.

I love Marn. I know, I know, he's obnoxious and annoying and so on, but I still want him to win all the time. That Dudley is a major factor in this I admit, but he's also been one of the highlights of this tournament generally. He had a stupendous match against Wolfkrone's Viper in winners bracket that ended with Wolfkrone going for one of his juggles into Ultra, only for it to whiff and cost him the game. Everyone in the room was going mental, the commentators were all "WHY DID THAT MISS? HOW DID IT MISS?" And Marn strolls over and goes "that doesn't work on Honda or Dudley, he messed up".

He just knows man. He knows.

He also had a brilliant match against Ryyyyyydeerrrrr's Abel where he intentionally dropped a combo at the end so he could finish with EX Thunderbolt chip. I don't care if that's a dick move because EX Thunderbolt is the greatest.

East Coast has the best Abels. Well, the East Coast and Utah.

Also Sanford is an absolute beast. He gets overlooked sometimes in SFIV because he plays loads of different characters and doesn't always place where he should in tournaments, but he really is a monster.

Lastly, MarlinPie is so great. He mostly does Sako combos, but it seems like you could name three or four of Cammy's moves at random and he'd find some way to link them.

I'll edit some videos into this post later so there's some context for all this babbling.

the trial mode stuff teaches you how the engine works, but memorising the long combos isn't that useful until you learn other stuff about the game - what button you should press with your character when someone jumps at you, what combo you can use to pressure them, what easy combo you can do to punish their mistake, how you can setup your ultra, etc.

you're playing ryu, right? well, quite often when someone jumps at you you can just do a HP or a dragon punch. when they fuck up right in front of you you can do that solar plexus strike into uppercut. when you're just trying to poke at them to get an opening you can do worse than cr.MK cancelled into a fireball. and to set up your ultra you should practise dragon punch FADC (focus attack dash cancel) ultra. FADC takes some work to get down but is well worth it with ryu. the moment the first hit of your dragon punch connects, hold down MP+MK together for a moment then immediately do a forward dash with the stick/d-pad.your opponent goes up, you stay on the ground, and you hit them with your ultra combo fireball while they fall. totally sweet.

oh, and learn to block sometimes too, and not to jump unless they are stuck doing something like getting off the floor or recovering from doing something silly.

sorry if any of this is stuff you already know. i am not great at the game myself so like to keep things simple.

It's the fireball ultra yeah. Although Ultra 2 has a fantastic animation and does a LOT of damage, Ultra 1 is considered by almost all Ryu players to be the smarter choice because it has a really good range of set-ups and is by far the easier to land of the two.

+1 for alistarr and his helpfulness also.

Word. That fireball FADC Ultra 2 is really fucking tight. I was using that, amongst others, as a testing bed for my new grip and I rarely got it to hit.

it's flashy like nobody's business, though, which makes it worth going for (if you're not lame like me - i have only hit ryu's so called "easy" ultra 1 setups a couple of times in proper games). one of ryu's later trials ends in that and i spent some time just trying that last bit without worrying about the trial because it looks so cool.