A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

Indy @ S.E.

Hmmm - I'd lose all the rock band songs on the hdd plus the disc inside though :(

You can eject the disc easily - http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/09/19/how-to-recover-a-disc-from-a-brokenps3/and transfer the songs via sony, it's a pretty painful phone call as any to Sony support are but you will get the songs transfered after a week or so (not kidding) - i have done this twice due to ps3 deaths in the past!

Edit, mine were singstar songs - rockband you just re download as it is tied to your PSN not machine

To be honest, I would just try and get a slim from somewhere. In my experience, the repair ain't worth it.

The only one I knew you could drop it off while you wait was PS pros in London but they've gone now [emoji20]

There used to be a couple places in Chinatown. I don't know if they are still there

• 3 years later...

really enjoyed watching this again with the commentaries from DF

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-what-was-actually-real-in-the-e3-2005-ps3-reveal

Maybe I missed it, but they don't seem to talk about the work MS did with its LIVE ecosystem - I am thinking mainly of achievements as I cant remember all of the details going from OG to 360 but I am pretty sure these developments also helped MS a lot in those days as they were non-existent on the Playstation. Not unlike the situation today, where Sony is lagging far behind on the software side of things.

• 2 years later...

Anyone still use the PS3 version of iPlayer? A message popped up when I launched it today that it will no longer be available after 8th October.

Still, it lasted longer than the Xbox 360 version did - that stopped being supported in March 2019: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-07-bbc-iplayer-for-xbox-360-shutdown-date-detailed

Bah, looks like I'll have to get a current-gen console, or a Chromecast/Roku, or a YouView box, or a smart TV. Or I could just sit at my PC or squint at my phone. First world problems! :hmm:

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

It looks like you can't buy anything off the PlayStation Store now, but the purchase button is invisible. If you press X as soon as you go into something then it'll add it to your download list (if it's free) or your cart if it needs paid for.

I'm not by my home PC but can you still do it via the website?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering picking up a PS3 as a dev/blu-ray player (as I've gone PS5 Digital, and giving PS4 to eldest) - is this a good idea, and is slim the model to get?

Obviously I don't want it JUST to play movies (we very rarely play a film from physical media) but an opportunity to tap in to all the arcade racing games that never made it to PS4, and all those Sega games I spent hours playing at the arcades. 

I had a launch Japanese PS3 for quite a long time, but never really used it - I was very much into PC gaming / WoW at the time, then moved to Xbox 360. 

• 7 months later...

It was probably to close down the PS Store (then open it again).

I've been playing my PS3 again recently, funny enough. The sheer age of some of my save games makes me feel weirdly queasy for some reason.

I play mine quite regularly these days. I've been going through the last Prince Of Persia game on it recently and before that I cleared Resistance 3 again.

It still hosts a treasure trove of single player games. On balance I think it had a better run that PS4, at least from the perspective of games I enjoyed on it.

Just moved and whilst most of the other consoles remain in crates the PS3 has been set up, partially as I use it as a Blu-Ray player, but hoping to get into the box of PS3 games knocking about here somewhere. Hoping the PS3 becomes easy to hack in the near future. I heard only certain models can be done. 

Sony really did one hell of a job in turning the PS3 around. When it launched it was a mess, and the 360 made it look awful by comparison. Today my PS3 is still connected to my TV, and is my go-to machine for all PS1-3 games. The 1st party games for it are absolute fire.

24 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Sony really did one hell of a job in turning the PS3 around. When it launched it was a mess, and the 360 made it look awful by comparison. Today my PS3 is still connected to my TV, and is my go-to machine for all PS1-3 games. The 1st party games for it are absolute fire.

The first few years of firmware updates were wild. You'd get changelogs like "added trophy system" or "added support for 3D blu rays" or "added support for dualshock rumble" or  "added support for Canon printers". Just a bonkers pace of development for every class of feature under the sun.

I was hoping PS5 would be similar but it's all "system stability".

52 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

The first few years of firmware updates were wild. You'd get changelogs like "added trophy system" or "added support for 3D blu rays" or "added support for dualshock rumble" or  "added support for Canon printers". Just a bonkers pace of development for every class of feature under the sun.

I was hoping PS5 would be similar but it's all "system stability".

It's got to the point now where all that innovation has given way to slight incremental change, the fundamentals are sorted. It was an exciting time back in the 360 and PS3 days, fully-integrated online consoles, proper download games, it was a proper step up from the PS2. Not sure if it's just because I'm long in the tooth or console hardware simply isn't exciting anymore. Wouldn't be so bad if the innovation had moved over to the software, the interface and the games, but they seem to have got into a comfortable pattern too, by all accounts. 

Just now, Vimster said:

Wouldn't be so bad if the innovation had moved over to the software, the interface and the games, but they seem to have got into a comfortable pattern too, by all accounts. 

I hear you. Some games I can't even remember if I played them on PS4 or PS3.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Just moved and whilst most of the other consoles remain in crates the PS3 has been set up, partially as I use it as a Blu-Ray player, but hoping to get into the box of PS3 games knocking about here somewhere. Hoping the PS3 becomes easy to hack in the near future. I heard only certain models can be done. 

I've tried with one of my slim PS3s. After successfully hacking my Wii, WiiU, my New 3DS and both the kids 2DSs the PS3 has beaten me.

My fat US PS3 which I bought from eBay in late 2006 is still under my telly along with the PS5, Series X, WiiU and 360. I keep it mainly as a Region A Bluray player but it still gets used for games now and again. Unless it goes tits up it will still be there in 2026.

20 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Just booted up my super-slim for the first time in a while and was surprised to see yet another firmware update.

What’s that? 15 years after release? Amazing.

A lot of them are to prevent you installing custom firmware. Just 0.01 updates closing exploits.